Greatest Hits 1970-1978 Review

black sabbath: Greatest Hits 1970-1978
Release Date: Mar 14, 2006
Label: RRW
Genres: British Metal, Heavy Metal, Album Rock, Hard Rock
Sabbath's sweeping and masterful metamorphosis away from that tradition spawned heavy metal music, inventing the template for everything that would follow.
 9.5
review (1) 7 comments vote for this album:
Greatest Hits 1970-1978 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 04, 2007

Sound: The sound in here tells the entire discography of Black Sabbath. Black Sabbath has some eerie horror songs in song Black Sabbath to Iron Man, and Children of the Grave. "Sweet Leaf" and "Supernaut" have a sludgy sound to it. "Changes" is a ballad with piano, but "Snowblind", "Hole in the Sky" and "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" has a fast pace and progressive hard rock sound. "Dirty Women" has a very epic sound to it. "Rock N Roll Doctor" and "Never Say Die" are pretty groovy with sounds of hard rock. You love the sound in Black Sabbath. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics of Black Sabbath are pretty skillful and relevant with the group as it is a greatest hits and it goes on timeline. In the songs Black Sabbath, The Wizard, and NIB tells you that the album "Black Sabbath" is a horror album with eerie sounds. We get songs about destruction and chaos in the songs that come from Paranoid. Volume 4 and has songs and lyrics about drugs and a love song. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage shows the groups troubles like "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" and "Hole in the Sky", while others didn't make the cut like "The Writ" and "Megalomaniacs". Throughout the album, Black Sabbath lyrics contain evil, drugs, personal problems, prostitutes, and other stuff. // 10

Overall Impression: Compare to Symptom of the Universe, it will seem like a rip off, but I didn't found it a rip off. It was a relief to me, because I could not find Symptom of the Universe. All the songs in here are very impressive though "Iron Man" was cut short for around 3 minutes. There is nothing to hate in here, except for the edit of Iron Man. I hope that Black Sabbath makes a last album before they decide to retire. Hope they hit #1 this time. I would definitely buy the album if something happens to it. // 10

More Black Sabbath reviews rating latest review