Paranoid Review

9.5
 9.7
 9.3
Paranoid Reviewed by: METSOAD, on april 27, 2006

Sound: The sound is the sound of doom, the birth of heavy metal and the end of society as we knew it, Tommi Iomi's guitar is distorted and menacing, Geezer's bass is both rythmic, dazzling and prominent, Tony Wards drumming is excellent but often overlooked (especially his hand drumming in Planet Caravan) The sound is not as full and thick as the countless hundreds of metal bands who followed, but it was raw, fast (sometimes) and exciting. Heavy Metal was born of blues and it shows, some of the solos for guitar and bass are deeply rooted in the blues. The final peice of the jigsaw is Ozzy, his high register voice howls, screams and delivers messages of doom and is projected perfectly throughout the album. This album was released on the day of the death of the great Jimi Hendrix and as soon as it was heard it became clear that we had exchanged one left handed guitar god for another. Iommi had arrived and his influence is still alive today. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are all very similar, they are all about doom and death and the aftermath of death, with the occasional political message (War Pigs) which is as relevant today as it always was. There are also bits about mental problems (Paranoid and War Pigs) and revenge (Iron Man). Overall there are alot of bad things going on in this record and it almost follows a lyrical story up to track 6 Hand Of Doom. Genius, Revolutionary and generally very, very good. // 9

Overall Impression: There is nothing to compare this to because nothing was around when this was released upon the unsuspecting ears of rock fans everywhere. It's groove based style didn't really influence Metal again until the '90s with bands like Pantera but released a torent of loud and proud metal bands onto the music scene in the 1970's. The tracks that stand out on this masterpeice are War Pigs, Paranoid, Planet Caravan, Iron Man, Electric Funeral, Hand of Doom, Rat Salad and Fairies wear Boots, the whole album. There is not an album like it in existance and there never will be again. I love how this album inspired the all the great bands that have comes since this album, I love how it is one of the best albums of the 1970's and I love the songs on it, I hate that it was made in the 1970's, with typical '70s production quality. If it were stolen or lost I would destroy the thief wih my 'Hand of Doom'and take back my CD, and put it on. // 10

Paranoid Reviewed by: <<< Frantic >>>, on october 10, 2003

Sound: The band that started heavy metal... there was nothing like this before. This album is the epitome of heavy metal, this and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. The sound is slow and dreary, Tony Iommi and Geezer's musical chemistry is evident as their guitars meld together and push each other away during various riffs. Bill Ward's drumming isn't a big feature, but it was never part of the plan, they're more a guitar band then a mix of guitar and drums. War Pigs, Iron Man and Fairies Wear Boot are excellent heavy metal songs. The title track, Paranoid, still gets played around the world today, it's simplistic, good old headbanging feel is universal while Ozzy moans about the dark side of the human mind. The whole album has a dark, gloomy, gothic feel to it. Pretty much all metal is built around the foundations of Black Sabbath, and this album is testament to that. Any music fans who like good solid metal should pick this up. // 10

Lyrics: Ozzy's wailing voice is suited to no other band, there is a formula that these four guys have that few bands can match. Ozzy's voice touches the soul like not many other voices can, his unique sound perfectly suits the gothic styling to the albums, the dark and dreary heavy metal match with Ozzy's haunting voice produces a sound like no other. Geezer's excellent writing, inspired by a fascination of Satanism and the Occult, mixed with warnings about the use of drugs and war, make for some memorable lyrics. The lyrics reflect real things, real feeling and real emotions, so people can relate to it, I know I did. Not many people know that Ozzy didn't write the lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: Paranoid is probably the greatest overall metal album of all time. So many artists credit Black Sabbath for their inspiration, and their reason for taking up music. Older bands like Metallica and Megadeth and Anthrax to new acts like Disturbed and Opeth all draw from what the original Black Sabbath line up layed down 30 years ago. I love this album for it's heavy blues roots, and the fact that the lyrics mean something to me because it's real, not like some metal acts who sing about things that really don't make sense. If I ever lost it, I think I'd break down and cry, it was definitely a big inspiration for me to take up guitar, and I'm 16, so the music definately breaches boundaries. There are no real individual standout songs, because all the songs are so damn good that I can't pick the best. Probably War Pigs, Fairies Wear Boots and Iron Man are the standouts. The whole album is just solid metal, it's all very good. It's definitely worth buying for any metal fan, to find out the roots of just about all metal out there for no other reason. It's just a damn good album all round. Breathtaking... // 10

Paranoid Reviewed by: PsychoWolfD, on may 25, 2004

Sound: Black Sabbath's 2nd album is what got them popular. This is actually one of the heaviest albums of all metal. Many say Master of Reality (their 3rd album) is heavier than Paranoid, but Master was less fullfilling (still a good album, though), while Paranoid had an extremely clear and catchy sound. Track 3 was, unlike the rest, was light and used soft blues-like music. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are awesome and meaningful: 01. "War Pigs/Luke's Wall" is about war and destruction. We can really learn a lot from this song. Luke's Wall is an instrumenta intro or outro. I don't know which. 02. "Paranoid" talks about a paranoid person, obviously. "Make a joke and I will sigh and you will laugh and I will cry. Happiness I cannot feel and love to me is so unreal" 03. "Planet Caravan" is the soft song I told you about earlier. Probably has something to do with celestials (?!?!?) 04. "Iron Man" is about a demonic Iron Man that seeks vengence on the people by killing them. 05. "Electric Funeral" a song about the apocalypse. One of the most strongest doom-metal tracks ever, in my opinion. 06. "Hand Of Doom" a track about someone addicted to drugs (judging by the lyric "you push the needle in", I'd say its Heroin). More of a warning to others. 07. "Rat Salad" a 2:30 instrumental with a big drum solo by Bill Ward. Still Good. 08. "Jack The Stripper/Fairies Wear Boots" the final track, a cool song about trippin' (seeing illusions). Jack the Stripper is the name of either the song's intro or outro. // 10

Overall Impression: You have to have this album. For a musician, not having this album is like playing in a band without a sense of rhythm (like a couple of nu-metal bands). There's probably a lot in stores nowadays for some reason, 'cause that's all of Sabbath I usually see everywhere. I personally reccomend "Iron Man" because of the coolest riff and solo. // 10

Paranoid Reviewed by: black_sabbath, on january 11, 2006

Sound: Sabbath, perhaps the greatest heavy metal band ever. With sublime riffs and solos by Iommi this is one of their best albums if not their best. An enchanting album, with the mezmerizing almost hypnotizing voice of Ozzy Osbourne. This album features their allround talent and skill, you name it, awesome lyrics, great guitar work, amplified bass, drums. The sexiest freakin voice on the planet. // 10

Lyrics: Electric Funeral, Paranoid and Iron Man, for sure among the best lyrics of all time. Ozzy, is quite weird as it seems but he remains a great lyricist. Black Sabbath is a great band in every sense. They stressed upon the need of metal songs with metal lyrics and hell they did it with metal class. Ozzy Osbourne is (along with Lemmy of Motorhead and Jamez Hetfield of Metallica) the greatest metal vocalist. Iommi's brilliant riffs and litrary genius has proved that he is among the greatest guitarists of all time. // 10

Overall Impression: This is an amazing album, you have got to get this one if you already don't have it. It has everything a metal lover wants in it. Black sabbath was a great band, during the time of Iommi and Ozzy. This album is the evidence. If I lost this album, I would obviously buy it again. Great album for metal lovers, so if you are a hard core metal lover this is a must buy. If you aint a metal lover then, what you doing reading a Sabbath review. // 10

Paranoid Reviewed by: MaggaraMarine, on may 23, 2012

Sound: "Paranoid" is Black Sabbath's second studio album, recorded in 1970. The best word to describe the sound would be "Black Sabbath." They had found their sound in their first record and this album pretty much sounds the same. The sound is pretty raw, not very produced. It sounds more like a live recording in studio (which it actually pretty much is). There are some guitar overdubs but otherwise it has that kind of jamming feeling. The music is a combination of blues, jazz and metal. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are about reality what was really going on in 1970. No more flower power etc. Hippie things. They handle dark subjects like war, Armageddon and drugs. The lyrics fit the music very well. I'll tell you more about them later. Some people like Ozzy's voice, some people don't, but I think his voice fits this kind of dark music. He has a very recognizable voice and I like it. He might not be very technical singer but at least he can sing with feeling. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a great album and a must-have if you are a metal/rock fan (and even if you weren't, this is a great album to start listening to rock/metal). It has some of the most well-known Black Sabbath and heavy metal songs. There's really nothing to hate about the album, maybe panning sometimes. I don't like it when drums or bass are panned too much off the center but that doesn't really matter that much. Here's the impression of all the songs: 01. "War Pigs" - This song is my favorite on this album. It talks about how poor people have to go to the war and rich people just use them as pawns and don't care about what happens to them. The song includes many instrumental sections and overdubbed solos that are very recognizable Tony Iommi's style. Bass and drums do a great job, and behind the solo part it's very cool when bass plays its own kind of solo and at the same time there are three guitars at the best that play different solos. It's one of the thing where you recognize a song by Black Sabbath. 02. "Paranoid" - The most well-known song of the band. It's a very simple song with only three chords and a basic palm muted 8th beat. The album was a bit too short and they needed one more song and Tony Iommi played the main riff of this song and Geezer started writing lyrics. It was finished in about twenty minutes but became the biggest hit of the band. The song tells about some insane guy. It's kind of pop/punk song, not really metal. I don't like it any more that much because it's very overplayed. But of course when I heard it for the first time, I was impressed. 03. "Planet Caravan" - This is a slow unplugged song with conga drums and a beautiful jazzy guitar solo. It's a one-riff 2-chord song. Simple but effective and makes you feel relaxed. The song tells about some sci-fi stuff. Kind of makes me think of looking at the sky at night and fantasizing. It's very different from the other stuff on this album and stands out in a positive way. 04. "Iron Man" - Another song that everybody knows. This song has a killer riff but it's kind of overplayed. Still there are good instrumental sections but I have heard this song so many times that it's not my favorite. It's a good song and the intro with bending behind the nut gives me goosebumps, especially after listening to "Planet Caravan" that is a slow and quiet song. After that this sounds extremely heavy. The song tells about "Iron Man" who was treated poorly and now wants to revenge. 05. "Electric Funeral" - Slow and heavy. It tells about nuclear war and what happens to you when an atomic bomb explodes. It has very dark lyrics. There's a faster part in the middle of the song which is my favorite part of the song. 06. "Hand Of Doom" - This song is about soldiers using drugs in Vietnam war and what happens in your mind when you use drugs. The song starts slowly but there's a faster section. The song structure reminds me of "Electric Funeral." So do the lyrics that describe everything that happens to you. The solo by Tony Iommi is great, it has pretty psychedelic feeling. Simple but effective. 07. "Rat Salad" - This song is a short instrumental. It's pretty cool and includes a drum solo by Bill Ward. The guitar solo is pretty similar to the solo on "Hand Of Doom" and has similar psychedelic kind of feeling. Nothing more to say about this song. It's one of my favorites and a fun song to listen to. 08. "Fairies Wear Boots" - It's about some gang guys but it's also about using drugs. They said that the gang guys were "fairies." But in the end of the song there's a reference of drugs: "Cause smokin' and trippin' is all that you do." The song is one of my favorites because it's not overplayed. Not as mainstream as "Paranoid" for example. And it has great instrumental sections. The best part of the album is the band. They can play well and everything they play fits the music very well. The bass parts are very cool, I like Geezer's style and he's one of my main influences when I play the bass. Tony Iommi does a great job with guitars considering that he has lost two of his fingers in an accident. He has a very influential playing style and killer riffs. Geezer wrote most of the lyrics, Ozzy wrote some. I like the lyrics very much even though normally I don't listen to lyrics that much. And of course Bill Ward does an excellent job on drums and Ozzy has a very recognizable voice. All in all this album is great so if you don't have it, you should go and buy it. It's one of the classic rock albums. // 10

Paranoid Reviewed by: daytripper75, on october 08, 2003

Sound: It's Heavy Metal, Rock. Black Sabbath basically made heavy mainstream and they made it a lot better. // 10

Lyrics: I think Ozzy wrote some of his best lyrics ever for this album the ones that stand out the most in my opinion are the lyrics for "Hand of Doom" which has a pretty serious tone and lyrics warning against the dangers of drugs. Other songs with strong lyrics are "Electric Funeral" and "War Pigs" // 10

Overall Impression: I think this is one of the stand out metal albums of all time. If your a metal fan and dont own this album definitely get it. I love Tony Iommi's guitar riffs and amazing solos my favorite song guitar wise is probably "Fairies Wear Boot" which is amazing, in my opinion one of the best guitarists ever. If Tony leaves the band there is no more Black Sabbath. Ozzy has amazing lyrics for this album. Geezer definitely stands out on bass in the "Hand of Doom" intro which shows how you can play something simple but make it sound amazingly cool. Bill on drums doenst really stand out much but without the bass drum beating at the beggining of "Iron Man" it wouldnt be the same. Overall this is an amazing cd that I think everyone should buy. // 10

Paranoid Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 08, 2004

Sound: This album has a killer sound and the band black sabbatth are the best in the world, with tony iommis savage guitar riffs and you can tell the musical chemestry between tony iommi (The Guitar Player Dummies) and geezer butler (bass player)is evident in the tracks on the album,and Ozzy Osbourne is my favourite metal singer and the 1st and if you didnt know that you cant be much of a metal fan can you? and i think this is the best album by SABBATH. This cd has a hostile in your face sound and for the 4 men who invented metal it is the best, this is a beast of an album even for the boys in SABBATH this album is grate. I like how the band has fused rock`n`roll and their blues roots which created a very uneaque sound. And id like to say this if you do not have this album get it, steal it, buy it or burn it, god damn just get it!! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in the Paranoid album are good,they really reflect the reality of life such as `War Pigs` which was a way to get their veiw of vietnamm war and the lyrics for `Iron Man``paranoid` And `lectric Funeral` are my favourite tracks but all the album is grate the one track i dont like is track 3 what the hell was that all about?? i love the way whon ozzy begins singing on War Pigs is grate because all music except the symbol on the drums stop and you hear all of ozzys lyrics clearly then later when the instruments are playing its like the other instruments add to the power of his voice. Ozzy Osbourne is the single gratest heavy metal singer in the world except from his own his voice is suited to no other band than sabbath!! after ozzy was chucked out the whole band turned to sh!t ! they blew the big one!! // 10

Overall Impression: Paranoid is in a different league to any other album i own, the only other album i like as much is `Typical American Family` by marilyn manson. i thionk the best tracks are the title track iron man, war pigs, electric funeral and feries wear boots,but the whole album is cool. I love how in-your-face the album is but i just hate the 3rd track it just doesnt speak to me like the others do. If i was dumb enough to lose it in the first place i would kik my own ass and go buy 2 copies to make sure i would never lose it ever again. it is definetly worth buying and it is a must have for any metal fan. this is my favourite album by sabbath and if i had to save one thing it would be this album. // 10

Paranoid Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 02, 2004

Sound: This album is a break through on guitar Tony Iommi is the only man I know of that plays guitar with the finger extenders and that is why the sound of Black Sabbath is just. This is a great sounding album and it should be held high and remembered. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are sinical and deep from the heart of the band members. The lyrics make you think of what is goin on in the four mens minds to think of these things. // 10

Overall Impression: I have learned all the songs from this album and played them for people who are sabbath fans and they think I sound like them. Don't get me wrong I would never compare myself with tony but I can play Paranoid. // 10

Paranoid Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 09, 2005

Sound: This is the first Black Sabbath album I've ever owned. My brother gave it to me a few months ago and I didn't listen to it until like a few weeks ago. Now, I can't stop listening to it. Tony Iommi is probably the greatest metal guitarist ever. He invented power chords, downtuning, and the "doomy" element that defines heavy metal, and he did it with two of his fingertips sliced off! The guitars sound so awesome. I don't really like how the bass follows so much of what the guitar plays, but that sounded cool then, so I won't gripe about that. Bill Ward's drumming is pretty cool and original too. // 10

Lyrics: Ozzy writes awesome lyrics. He writes and performs them with such amazing mystery and passion. The lyrics go great with Tony's crunchy riffs. The only problem I realy had with Ozzy is he also sings in unison with the guitar riffs a lot. Other than that, Ozzy's contributions to Black Sabbath are awesome. // 10

Overall Impression: From the opening thunderstorms on "Black Sabbath" to the closing guitar solo on "NIB", this album is jam-packed with catchy, crunchy, innovative riffs, mind-blowing solos, great lyrics, and just pure originality. My personal favorites on this album were Black Sabbath, War Pigs, Iron Man, Paranoid, Children Of The Grave, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, and Snowblind. I wish I would be as creative as Black Sabbath. These are songs that will be remembered far beyond our time. Tony Iommi has influnced countless, amazing musicians, to name a few, Zakk Wylde, Dimebag Darrell, Glenn Tipton, KK Drowling, James Hetfield, Kirk Hammett, Kerry King, the list of guitar heroes influenced by Black Sabbath could go on and on. I'd be very disappointed if I lost this CD. I'd find the person who stole it, beat them up, steal it back, and buy another one (for me), and then make him/her buy one as well. Don't miss this one. // 10

Paranoid Reviewed by: ratbollocks, on september 26, 2005

Sound: This is Sabbath's second album and this sure got more fame than their first. With such nubers as "Paranoid" and "Iron Man" which is usually the two songs usually listened to by people getting introduced to them. Although there metal/hard rock you can still feel their blues and jazz influences such as Bill's drumming on "Faries Wear Boots" and the jazzy guitar on "Planet Carvan." // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are some Sabbath's best. The anti-war lyrics on the song "War Pigs" talking about politicians(Warpigs)starting war as if its a game. "Paranoid" is about some dude being paranoid and is going insane. "Faries Wear Boots" is about people smoking weed and start seeing things that arent there. Ozzy's voice is really mono tone like on "Iron Man" but they mix together so well with Tony and Geezer's guitar and bass. // 10

Overall Impression: This is usually the first album people get by Black Sabbath and it competes strong with the albums such as "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" and "Vol. 4." The most impresive songs would be "War Pigs" (which used to be called "Warpulgis"), "Paranoid" (which was written in 5 minutes extra studio time), "Electric Funeral," "Iron Man" and "Faries Wear Boots." This is a must if you love Sabbath and metal! I would defiantly buy this again if lost or stolen! // 10

Paranoid Reviewed by: Rattlehead666, on november 12, 2005

Sound: This has to be one of Black Sabbath's best albums that they have ever released. Every track is good on the album. The intro to Luke's Wall/War Pigs and same with the track Faries Wear Boots. The bass part for the solo Ironman is one of my favorite bass riffs. The track Electric Funeral is cool to withthe wah-wah pedal at the intro and chorus riffs. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are much different from their debut album Black Sabbath. Black Sabbath's album lyrics were about stuff like magic and wizards and mystical stuff. The songs from Paranoid are about stuff like ironman and drugs and satan. The lyrics to Paranoid are much better. Ozzy Osbourne has to be one of the greatest vocalists in heavy metal history. // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of my favorite Black Sabbath albums. Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin and Motorhead have to be the greatest bands in the '70s. The most impressive songs on the album are Paranoid, Ironman, Electric Funeral, Hand Of Doom and Faries Wear Boots. I don't hate anything about this album. The album art is cool with the little guy with a sword. If this album was lost I would be so mad I would look for the guy who took it and beat him up. // 10

Paranoid Reviewed by: black_maiden122, on december 27, 2005

Sound: It's Black Sabbath, the band that created heavy metal and changed music forever. Tony Iommi is one of the best guitarists I have ever seen, and without some fingertips! Ironman has quite possibly the most famous riff ever made, as well as an amazing solo. Distorted guitar, pounding bass, an eery vocals are what make Black Sabbath what they are. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are amazing, War Pigs is an anti-war song and has some of the best lyrics I have ever heard. Ozzy's voice is so perfect with Black Sabbath, he is barely a singer in technical terms, but with Black Sabbath he is amazingly effective. // 10

Overall Impression: Black Sabbath is the band that created metal, and they did it best, this album is quite possibly the best album ever to come out, ever! Every single song amazes me, from start to finish. The best songs are Paranoid and War Pigs in my opinion. If this were lost ore stolen I would track down the punk and shoot him in the head, then take the CD back. If your a fan of metal, or music in general this CD is a must have. // 10

Paranoid Reviewed by: Valasco, on february 27, 2006

Sound: I got this album because everyone who has a bit idea of hard rock music found it so great. When I first listened to it, I found the sound way different from Sabbath's later recordings and other hardrock bands like AC/DC, I'd call this sound narcotic. Yes, Ozzy screams and wails like a stoned madman. And Tommy Iommi's bluesy and insane solos guitar riffs add to the atmosphere. It all sounds very dirty but sound-rich, plain but innovative, easy but deep anyway. Something you'll never hear on the radio today. // 9

Lyrics: Ozzy's singing fits perfectly to the bluesy sound of the album. Well he's not Bruce Dickinson, but really knows how to do it. The lyrics are not poetic or rich of metaphores, but meaningful. I think Black Sabbath took the kind of blues approach towards the lyrics. Like it's the voice which expresses, not tremendous lyrics or a great melody. // 9

Overall Impression: When I turned the CD player on, my father told me he now remembers that when he was in the army, they had their own Sabbath freak who listened to these songs the whole time. I could imagine a grungy military tent back in the '70s and a tube box roaring "War Pigs." So I had the impression that even if it's not a fantastic-deep-epic-melodic-metal album, it really gets on your mind. What else should we expect from a good music CD? // 10

Paranoid Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 10, 2006

Sound: This album is a metal masterpiece. In 1971 the disco era was on it's way, but you had bands like Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath that kept rock n roll alive, "Paranoid" is a perfect example of a classic metal album. It is an album that has influenced millions like Metallica, whom I feel aside from Iron Maiden was one of the last good metal bands, it sucked from there on out. From the opening piece "War Pigs" to the phenomenal closing "Fairies Wear Boots," "Paranoid" is the definition of a true classic. Go buy it, don't get it illegally, it's too good for that. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in "Paranoid" are flat out outstanding. Listen to "War Pigs" and affiliate it with the politicians at that time and you can see that Ozzy and Co. didn't just write random words on the notepad. While songs like "Hand of Doom" are a little based on something you'd write with a joint in your hand, songs like "Paranoid" tell a great story of a downward spiral of what is someones unfortunate life. The lyrics in the album "Paranoid" may not be as epic as Rush's "2112," "Cygnus X-1" or "The Trees" (which I believe are the best lyrics ever written by a rock 'n' roll group) they still stand as a great acheivement in metal's history. // 10

Overall Impression: I think this stands as one of Sabbath's best albums, if not the best, and should be enjoyed by all rock fans. Black Sabbath started a revolution, and Sabbath's debut along with "Paranoid" can be credited greatly for that. // 10

Paranoid Reviewed by: Modernmusich8er, on april 28, 2006

Sound: Let me first say that this is an amazing album and is one of classic metal's finest albums. From the opening power chord to "War Pigs" all the way to "Fairies Wear Boots" you are listening to real metal at it's finest. Tony Iommi is a great guitarist who made so many timeless riffs (Paranoid, Iron Man) that everybody knows. Say what you will about Ozzy but I feel he is a great rock n roll singer with very strong vocals. Geezer Butler is your average bassist, nothing special. The same can be said for Bill Ward. They may not be the most talented, but Black Sabbath can rock out like few bands can. Paranoid is a perfect example of that statement. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics featured in "Paranoid" are so great and really make you think about things. The tracks that stand out the best as far as lyrics go are "War Pigs", a song loosely about politicians during Vietnam. "Paranoid", a song about a crazy man's downward spiral. Neil Peart will always be my favorite lyric writer but Ozzy can write some good lyrics himself. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is a timeless classic that any true rock fan should already own. Black Sabbath started the metal revolution with bands like Iron Maiden and Metallica to follow in their footsteps. New metal is something I really don't like, but if metal stayed like Sabbath did it than metal would be a much more respected genre of music. I love this album and if it were stolen than that person would be in for a real treat. I wouldn't care if it were stolen because I have 2 copies and would feel good about the spread of Sabbath's great music. You should buy this album if you don't already own it, you would definately get your money's worth. // 10

Paranoid Reviewed by: jake88, on may 31, 2006

Sound: Altough the sound quality is'nt great its certainly a step up from their debut album. This is easily made up by the sheer power of the songs on the album. From the opener 'War Pigs' through to the end of 'Fairies wear boots' this album is timeless classic. 'Paraniod' and 'Iron Man' are two of the greatest heavy metal songs ever written and in my view, of their later albums only 'Volume 4' can match it in quality. If it was'nt for this band and this album the genre of heavy metal would not have existed. // 10

Lyrics: Geezer Butler wrote most of the lyrics on this albun and he's introducing all of the subjects that would eventually be associated with the genre, anti-war (War Pigs), suicide (Hand of doom), going insane (paraniod) etc. Ozzy doesn't have the greatest voice but his sense of melody is superb. He gives the album its spine-chilling guality and creates a haunting impression that stays with you long after you've finished listening to it. // 10

Overall Impression: If you're new to the genre this should be you're first purchase. It incomparable to anything else that was going on at the time. 'Paraniod' (the song) is possibly the greatest heavy metal song ao all time. No matter how many times it were lost or stolen I would still go out and buy it again and again. This is a absolute cassic. Buy it. // 10

Paranoid Reviewed by: Johnny Blade, on june 19, 2006

Sound: The sound on this CD is very good, considering that it was recorded in 1970. There is very good classic metal tracks such as War Pigs and Iron Man but also some psycedelic mellow stuff such as Planet Caravan which is a highly listenable piece of music. It has also been brought to my attention that the song Fairies Wear Boots was actually written in 1968 as a blues number. Maybe changed a little bit to fit the bands new style. The album was originally going to be titled War Pigs. That is why the album cover is a picture of a man with a sword. It was banned from being called War Pigs and was called paranoid before the actual song paranoid was written. According to Tony Iommi in interviews the band wrote the song Paranoid in about five minutes. Also a very impressive drum solo from Bill Ward on the Rat Sald track. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics obviously sung by Ozzy Osbourne sound as good as he ever has. The lyrics really do go with the music well. There was also another version of War Pigs recorded at the time the album was released. It is actually the original demo with alternate lyrics. The track can be found on the Ozzy Osbourne album, The Ozzman Cometh. Very interesting, worth a listen. // 9

Overall Impression: The most impressive songs on the album for me would have to be War Pigs, Iron Man and Fairies Wear Boots. I love the solo on Fairies Wear Boots. If it were lost or stolen I would go and buy it again straight away. One of the best ever Sabbath albums to date. // 9

Paranoid Reviewed by: Shreddin 4 Life, on august 10, 2006

Sound: Obviously & undoubtedly one of the most classic and influencial albums of all time. Paranoid was the 1970 release that Sabbath put out with Ozzy, which contains timeless classics such as "Iron Man", "War Pigs", and of course, the title track. At the time of its release, it was probably one of the heaviest-sounding albums around, thus making it a pioneer in the world of metal, along with Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple. Iommi plays with sheer brilliance both in leads/solos & in terms of riffage. I first heard this album a few years back on an old, scratched up vinyl, and it still sounded great! The guitar world, and world of metal would not be what it is without this album which is pretty much why I'm attached to this album so much. // 9

Lyrics: Personally, I've never been a fan of Ozzy's vocals, no matter what part of his career you're talking about. And this album is no exception. However, some songs proved to be effective both lyrically (particularly) and vocally as well, such as the title track, and in "War Pigs" as well. Ozzy really seemed to push himself on this effort, and for that I truly respect his input on these recordings, therefore I would have to rate this above a 5 (7) for this album. // 7

Overall Impression: This album is most definitely one of Sabbath's best (if not THE best) album they've ever put out. Great tunes, as well as classics and some interesting (somewhat filler) back-up tunes thrown in as well. Who can argue with that? My personal favourites would have to be "War Pigs", "Iron Man" and dare I say: "Fairies Wear Boots". Basically, most of the tunes are great in their own respective right of course. If this album were stolen, I'd definitely replace it since, it's inexpensive, and is really such a milestone of an album as far as rock/metal goes. This is a must-have for a classic/pioneer metal fan, and Ozzy fan of course. // 9

Paranoid Reviewed by: Dancing Fool, on august 21, 2006

Sound: Black Sabbath's second album is probably one of the most influential heavy metal albums ever constructed, and set the standard for countless other albums, ranging from when it was written to present day. It also gave Tommy Iommi, the guitarist in Black Sabbath several titles. The king of power chords, and according to Ozzy Osbourne "The most underrated guitarist. Ever." It also gave the world several killer tracks to base thousands of guitarists' insporations by. The most obvious of them is Iron Man, the album centerpiece, in the mind of many. Also the critically underrated Eletric Funeral and Rat Salad [featuring a Billy Ward's incredible drum solo. But the heart of and soul of the album was Tommy Iommi, already a incredible guitarist, because of his injury, causing him to replace two of his fingers, with plastic fingertips. But it was Iommi's crunchy, distorted down-tuned powerchords, and fat nimble leads that gave Black Sabbath it's sound. Every song on this CD is well put together, even it's title track. considering the fact that they needed a filler and chose Paranoid to fill it. Although firmly rooted in heavy metal, it still had the traces of the earlier stages of punk rock. In a way Black Sabbath created punk. The solos are fast, and more distorted than he next, breaking down barriers for the modern-day distortion-fest that is punk-rock. But the fast-paced, no-looking-back attitude doesn't last forever. Planet Caravan is a slow, almost African-esque kind of song, with Ozzy's slow, effects-ridden vocals, and Billy Ward's bongo/conga slow drumming. // 9

Lyrics: Black Sabbath also pushed it's way up mainstream lyrically as well. In an era where a nice acoustic song with backing vocals about "finding that special place" and "Finding yourself", Black Sabbath barges ahead, singing about topics that modern day bands like System Of A Down and Rage Against The Machine take on, such as the evil in the world, the government, war, paranoia, rage, and confusion. Ozzy's nasal-y voice fitted perfectly with Iommi's style. It is perfectly clam while singing on such topics that are exactly the opposite. Ozzy's is seemingly distant, drowsy. // 8

Overall Impression: Black Sabbath is the basis for several genres of music, such as rock, metal, and punk. But they still, even to this day, egt enough credit they deserve. Some of there greatest sings go un-noticed, even by fans. Example: Eletric Funeral. As I struggle to find some negatives to balance my review out, I would like to point out that Black Sabbath may have created metal with this album, and is still underrated. If it was stolen I would definatley buy another. And anyone who lacks this album must go buy this, even if they despise Black Sabbath. // 9

Paranoid Reviewed by: DVT, on february 09, 2007

Sound: This is probably one of the best sounding albums of the original Black Sabbath Line up, with great guitar work by metal guitar original Tony Iommi, and the legendary rhythm section Geezer Butler and Bill Ward. With some of the most legendary Riffs in history, like "War Pigs", "Paranoid", and "Iron Man", the sound is the best. The music is dark and bleak, like every Black Sabbath, with Evil Sounding Bass and Guitar Lines. It makes the noise and Sound of this album Unique. The Sound of this album is amazing. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics cover many things, like war, insanity, and science fiction. "Electric Funeral" is about nuclear war and the effects and after math. "Hand Of Doom" and "Fairies Wear Boots" are drug related songs. Ozzy's range in this album is very large, on the song like "War Pigs" his voice is very bluesy and totally different from songs like "Electric Funeral". On the song "Planet Caravan" his voice is strange and very relaxing, and the music on the track matches with very relaxing melodies. On songs like "Iron Man" the music is very dark and the matches Ozzy's dark voice well, and on "Paranoid" the music is also very well matched with fast paced rhythm and Ozzy singing fast also. Very strong lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: This is an amazing album, Black Sabbath at there best. Helping to boost them into the spotlight with some of heavy metal's greatest hits, it shows how great of musicians every member is. Every Song is great but if I had to choose I would say: "War Pigs", "Paranoid", "Iron Man", and "Fairies Wear Boots." // 10

Paranoid Reviewed by: TheStraightener, on july 05, 2007

Sound: All of Black Sabbath's riffs are simple, yet all of them are brilliant. One of the things that's great about this band is that if you can't understand the lyrics, you can know the song's message by the music itself. With War Pigs, you can just feel the effects of the war in the music (plus the Luke's Wall outro is awesome). With Iron Man, you can jsut feel the doom (and it's the most memorable riff of all time). With Paranoid, you can just feel the craziness. With Electric Funeral, you can really feel the impending doom. With Fairies Wear Boots, you can just feel the want to ask, "Man were they high." With Hand of Doom and Rat Salade, you as well can feel the doom coming. Then to end of the album, Planet Caravan just calms you down and puts you in another world. The music is always the most important part, and on this album, Black Sabbath aces that with flying colours and caravans. // 10

Lyrics: Ozzy may be an extremely overrated singer, but the fact is, his vocals fit perfectly well with the music. With every song, his vocals are like the perfect puzzle piece of the music (other then Rat Salade for obvious reasons). As for the lyrics themselves, they are written really well. This is probably their best album for this category (actually, nevermind, this is probably their best album overall). // 10

Overall Impression: Their original debut album, Black Sabbath, set the stage for heavy metal and hard rock n' roll. Then they come out with this album and follow through exceptionally well. Everything is just done very well, and I have no real complaints. Some of Black Sabbath's best songs are on this album. If you love heavy metal and classic hard rock n' roll, then if you haven't listened anything from this album, then all I can say is, what the hell are doing? Get this album! // 10

Paranoid Reviewed by: black-sabbath, on june 05, 2008

Sound: Simple Heavy Metal riffs at their best. Made in 1970, this album is nothing but pure metal, as it was one of the first ever. Iommi's use of simple riffs, along with their classic "doomy" sound has never been better. With some melodic phrases, but mostly heavy riffs, an all around amazing album. // 10

Lyrics: A wide variety of lyrics are on this album. Ranging from sort of meaningless lyrics like in Iron Man to politically active ones in War Pigs and to dark lyrics like in Hand Of Doom. I've always loved Ozzy's voice and this album only makes him better. As always, Iommi and Geezer Butler worked well, making the lyrics fit the mode of the music. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is definately in my "Top". It helped define Heavy Metal and is a classic. Top songs on this album: War Pigs, Paranoid and Iron Man, all of which are well-known and AWESOME! I'd definately go buy/download this again if it went missing, as my Black Sabbath collection would be nothing without this album. Amazing album! // 10

Paranoid Reviewed by: Drifting182, on july 24, 2008

Sound: You've just got to love this corny album cover. Black Sabbath originally intended to call the album War Pigs but Warner changed it to Paranoid at the last minute. Paranoid was the follow-up to Black Sabbath, arguably the first heavy metal album. The elements necessary had been pioneered by the likes of Led Zeppelin, Hendrix and The Yardbirds, but Sabbath were the first to combine these elements into something too heavy to be hard rock or blues rock, metal. // 9

Lyrics: The album kicks off with the anti-war epic "War Pigs," which famously rhymes "masses" with "masses" in the first verse. Vocalist Ozzy Osbourne squeezes every ounce of shock value out of the lyrics through his limted range and guitarist Tony Iommi throws out heavy riffs peppered with nimble licks. Up next is another metal classic, "Paranoid." The song shows Sabbath in a rare uptempo mode here, with Iommi managing to fit in a melodic, memorable solo. Ozzy sings about, well, being paranoid. Iommi's opening riff rips off Zeppelin's "Dazed and Confused" but the classic palm-muted power chord riff that propels the main song sets a standard for metal rhythm guitar. "Planet Caravan" finds the band in an entirely different mode. The band creates a slow, stoner vibe while Ozzy runs his vocals through a watery vocoder. Iommi contributes a Latin-based solo. Obviously an experiment for the band, the song is unjustly disregarded by most Sabbath fans. Though it's different than anything else the band did, it's not a bad effort at something different. Of course, it's hard not to want to skip "Planet Caravan" when the next track is "Iron Man," yet another Sabbath classic. Here Ozzy falls into his familiar trap of singing along with the riff, but the riff here is so great it hardly matters. Ozzy sings of a hero who comes back to get his revenge on the unappreciative people he once saved. Though the lyrics are probably among the dumbest in Sabbath's roster, they just work. Yet another great Iommi solo graces the uptempo midsection of this song. "Electric Funeral" gives Iommi's wah pedal a work out. Ozzy once again sings with the riff here, this time however it renders the song repetitive more than anything else. This song comes off as an inferior "Iron Man." "Hand of Doom" warns against drugs despite any Satanic references the title might suggest. For a band that was criticized of creating devil music, Sabbath certainly come off as having some morals. This song is yet another winner, though not as known as the others here due to its subject matter. The album wraps up with "Fairies Wear Boots," another great rocker. Yet another great Iommi riff (this album's full of them) grounds the song and it serves as an effective album closer that leaves you wanting more. // 8

Overall Impression: Some argue this is Sabbath's finest hour, while others make arguments for Master of Reality. Both are great albums. However, this is probably your best introduction to Sabbath due to the large ratio of familiar metal classics. Every metalhead should own a copy. // 9

More Black Sabbath reviews rating latest review