Reunion Review

black sabbath: Reunion
Released: Oct 20, 1998
Genre: Rock
Styles: Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, British Metal
It includes their most enduring classics as well as a few surpizes recorded in their native Birmingham in December 1997.
 Lyrics: 9.3
 9.7
 9.5
 9.9
Reunion Reviewed by: PsychoWolfD, on may 17, 2004

Sound: I don't yet own this album, but I have listened to the majority of the tracks from this remarkable live album, and I'm not talking about the studio versions but live tracks straight from this one. It was recorded live in Birmingham, England (Sabbath's hometown) on the Reunion tour, in 1998 (I'm sure it was) so the sound is very fresh. Tony Iommi played heavier than ever. Ozzy was excellent in his singing. The selftitled "Black Sabbath"'s rainstorm-intro was realistic enough to trick me into thinking they actually recorded that track in the rain. I liked Bill Ward's drums especially on "NIB" and "Snowblind". Geezer Butler (Bass) played more intense, on my perspective. I'll unhesitatingly buy this album if it ever comes back in stores, but I can't find them anywheres. Must be a popular album, I figure. // 10

Lyrics: Albums usually get Explicit Content stickers because they curse in their lyrics or something. Ozzy cursed to the audience, ex. "Come on, lets rock this f--king place, now!" or "Lets get f--king crazy, come on !" or "we're not gonna continue until we hear the f--king roofrastle, come on!" etc. So it got Explicit content. The lyrics are great stuff, "Snowblind" and "Sweet Leaf" talk of drugs, "Electric Funeral", etc. Talk of doom and destruction, but they are not inducing those dangers to the audience. I would say, warning us. // 10

Overall Impression: "Iron Man" was most impressive, and Sabbath takes home a Grammy Award for that song. Buy it, if you can ever find it in stores - good luck. If not, order it online or buy songs off iTunes.com or buymusic.com. If you download it for free, you may get the pleasure but it is dishonorable to Sabbath. Respect the founders of heavy metal, man! If it gets stolen, steal it back or re-buy it or something! This live album is awesome, so stop gazing at the computer monitor and hunt for it, now! // 10

Reunion Reviewed by: black_sabbath, on january 30, 2006

Sound: This compilation is awesome. The 2 Volume Reunion Pack is a compilation of their live performances. It has all their great hits, and also the brilliant chanting of the crowd to add to the metal atmosphere this album creates. It is a must have for all metal lovers, sabbath lovers and wannabe metal bands. It is not for the sissy metal lovers nor is it for the weak hearted. This is a compilation of band which is the heaviest, darkest when it comes to live performances. // 10

Lyrics: Well, I don't need to say much about the lyrics as every metal lover knows that sabbath has the best lyrics. This Reunion just reminded us that Ozzy and Iommi are the greatest live performers. I mean from biting off bats' heads to god knows what. This band is savage and the lyrics proves that. Ozzy's minblowing speeches, enchanting voice, Geezer's dark bass and Iommi's minblowing electric, solos and riffs. This just grows on you as you hear this disk. I mean, listen to NIB, Paranoid, Iron Man, War Pigs, this is what sabbath is all about. // 10

Overall Impression: Well, Reunion is an awesome album. Great performances. It has most of their classics yet, it is not the greatest for a strater I must admit. It is an album for veteran metal lovers and sabbath lovers. If you are a stater, you should instead buy Black Box. But nonetheless it is a wicked album a must have I ensure all metal lovers that they will not regret this buy. It is an awesome album on the whole, though I wished it had Electric Funeral on it. // 9

Reunion Reviewed by: PaulieIommi, on january 12, 2009

Sound: It was a refreshing experience upon my first listen to this album to hear the classic sound of the original line-up once again. It was a very nice return indeed. The band sound fresh and invigorated, apart from a few vocal slip ups by Ozzy, their sound is truly magnificent. It was a good move on Iommi's part to tune to E flat to compliment Ozzy's voice. This album is chock full of all the greats you expect to hear; Iron Man, Paranoid, War Pigs, Sweet Leaf and even N.I.B including Geezers Bassically solo. While the brummie lads relied heavily on the greats, they produced deeper cuts such as Spiral Architect, Dirty Women and Behind The Wall Of Sleep. This album ends with two brand new studio tracks, Psycho Man and Selling My Soul. Both songs are classic in terms of sound, featuring vintage Tony riffing and Ozzy wailing, but on the flipside arguably suffer from questionable lyrics. None the less, the band overall sound like the fire has been recaptured. // 9

Lyrics: Ozzy's singing is great on this album. As I mentioned earlier, Tony tuned to E flat, to accomodate Ozzy's voice. While he could not hit the high notes like he used to, Ozzy still played out his role very well. There are some audible screw ups, but in this situation the good certainly outweighs the bad, it is nothing to cry about. On the new tracks, his voice is once again great. While his voice is great, the lyrics on them are not so much. They are pretty average on these two. On the plus side though the lyrics definitely suit the sonic backdrops. Ozzy's voice is most impressive I think on Snowblind. // 8

Overall Impression: In comparison to Past Lives, this album holds up very well, partially due to it's far better recording. While I would have prefered other songs from their catalogue to be on this album, it was wise to stick with the tried and tested greats. My favourite songs are War Pigs, N.I.B and Snowblind. These performances are most certainly comparable to their performances in their 70's prime. It is worthy to note that Iron Man from Reunion won a grammy, at the time 30 years or so after it's initial release. // 9

More Black Sabbath reviews rating latest review