The Mob Rules Review

black sabbath: The Mob Rules
Release Date: Nov 1981
Label: Warner Bros.
Genres: Album Rock, Heavy Metal, British Metal
Mob Rules was given a much punchier, in-your-face mix by Birch, who seemed re-energized after his work on New Wave of British Heavy Metal upstarts Iron Maiden's Killers album.
 Lyrics: 8.5
 8.6
 9.3
The Mob Rules Reviewed by: CPace, on july 12, 2006

Sound: This CD was the last successful cd effort by Black Sabbath. It was also the last CD with 3/4 of the original line-up still in the band, with Ronnie James Dio fronting the band. The music in the cd is very abnormally fast paced for a Sabbath CD, with songs like Turn Up The Night and The Mob Rules. It is obvious that techno sound are starting to invade the band especially in the song E5150. // 9

Lyrics: Ronnie James Dio's classic lyrics about mythical creatures and midevil times are still as alive in this cd as they were while he was with other bands like Rainbow. Dio's voice, similar to Bruce Dickinson's of Iron Maiden, sounds better than ever, and they go along great with Iommi, Butler, and Ward's musical talents. // 10

Overall Impression: This CD is just as good as, if not better than Heaven and Hell, the first album by Black Sabbath with Diol, however, it doesn't live up to the standards of previos CDs like Paranoid or Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath. This CD spawned 3 singles: The Mob Rules, Turn Up The Night, and Voodoo. If I ever lost this CD I would definitly buy it again. It was worth every cent. // 9

The Mob Rules Reviewed by: Shreddin 4 Life, on august 08, 2006

Sound: This was the follow-up album to "Heaven & Hell" which was released the year before. This is an excellent album in my opinion (due to the fact that I prefer Dio-era Sabbath to the Ozzy era). This album is their heaviest one yet, and has a good mix of really rockin' tunes & softer epic ones. I've always enjoyed this album mostly because of Dio's vocals, but Tony Iommi's playing got so much more intense and inspirational, especially in songs like the title track! // 9

Lyrics: Ronnie James Dio comes on as strong as ever in this one, and really helped Sabbath evolve into a truly heavier band in the future. The lyrics represent the songs extremely well & always seem to have an anthem-style feel to them, which really gets you into the them, and makes you crave more. In songs like "Mob Rules" & "Turn Up The Night" (the opening track), he really shows off his heavy vocal capabilities, where as in others like "The Sign Of The Southern Cross", he shows his softer side. // 8

Overall Impression: This a great Sabbath album, but doesn't quite compare to the likes of it's predecessor "Heaven & Hell". And of course, the inevitable "It's Not Ozzy" Sabbath fans will dislike it, but musically, Dio Sabbath always seemed more mature & interesting to listen to in my opinion. My favourite tunes are the opener, "Turn Up The Night", the title track & "Slipping Away", where both Dio and Iommi shine at their best. I really love the evolution that Iommi exemplifies on this album, especially lead-wise. However, some of the tunes don't flow as well as most on previous albums which is it's downfall for me. If this album were stolen/lost, I would most definitely replace it, simply because it's too enjoyable to be forgotten about. But I intend to take really good care of it since it's quite rare. // 8

The Mob Rules Reviewed by: I am the Drake, on january 05, 2008

Sound: I've been collecting albums on vinyl for a very long time now and every time I saw this album on the shelf of my I local music store I never really paid much attention to it. I never gave this line-up of Black Sabbath a chance until just recently. For the longest time I just refused to listen to anything that wasn't the original Sabbath and I though that it was a disgrace for Tony Iommi to keep using the name long after the original line-up fell apart. Then earlier this year I heard about the new Heaven and Hell live at the Radio City Music Hall album. Then I started to realize that it couldn't be that bad because It was half of the almighty Sabbath. The best heavy metal band to walk the face of the earth. So I decided to give it a chance. I picked up the live album and the DVD and I was hooked. I was very impressed. I had to go to my record shop and pick up this album after ignoring it for so long. The overall sound of this album is very good. The great musicianship his hard to overlook. Iommi's guitar work is nothing short of amazing on this album. The rhythm section is great too. Geezer and Vinnie Appice work well together. Then you have Dio who is never disappointing. This line-up brought a new sound to Sabbath. A more fast paced record that than all of the previous Sabbath albums. Very impressive. // 9

Lyrics: I think that this album and the one before it gave Ozzy and Tony a much needed break from each other. I think that the break lasted too long though. The songs that were included on the last few Black Sabbath albums with original members were just getting weaker and weaker. The chemistry just wasn't there anymore. So Ronnie James Dio was brought in. The back of the album say that all of the lyrics are by Dio but I'm sure that the rest of the guys had something to do with it. Some of the lyrics aren't as impressive as others on the album but that doesn't mean that they are bad. Every song on the album is good in it's own way. All of the lyrics match perfectly with the music. Dio is one of the greatest rock singers out there and I think that the Sabbath guys made a good decision choosing him as a front man. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is just as good as the one released before it. It's not as good as the first original Black Sabbath albums though. It's very impressive for only two original members though. They do deliver. My personal favorite song from the album is "The Sign Of The Southern Cross". Other good songs from this album include "The Mob Rules", "Country Girl", "Voodoo", and the instrumental "E5I50"(The title is "EVIL" as roughly translated from Roman numerals: 5=V, 1=I and 50=L). I love everything about the album. The only thing that I don't like is the fact that the original Sabbath couldn't continue to write the great material that they once were capable of doing. There is nothing better than the original Sabbath line-up which included Ozzy Osbourne, Bill Ward, Geezer Butler and Tony Iommi. // 9

The Mob Rules Reviewed by: black-sabbath, on june 03, 2008

Sound: This is Black Sabbath's 1981 album, and second with Ronnie James Dio as their vocalist and first with drummer Vinnie Appice. I'd say this album has a bit more catchy sound to it, but it's still a very heavy sounding album. Good album to headbang along to. Most of the songs all have a less dark sound to it than previous Sabbath albums (Heaven and Hell and Black Sabbath type ones). My favourite song on this album is The Sign Of The Southern Cross and I was least pleased by E5150. // 8

Lyrics: As I've said before, Dio is a very good singer. And Sabbath is very good with matching lyrics to music. No exceptions on this album. Sign of The Southern Cross's epic lyrics and guitar parts are perfect for eachother. Dio's got some great lyrics on his Black Sabbath albums. // 8

Overall Impression: This is quite similar in sound to the album Paranoid because it's not too dark or evil. Everything sounds really good and it's mixed well. I think that E5150 is a really dumb song, and ruins part of the album. All in all, another good Sabbath album that I'd go download again if it got lost (most songs I'd download again.) // 8

More Black Sabbath reviews rating latest review