Folklore And Superstition Review

artist: black stone cherry date: 10/16/2008 category: compact discs
black stone cherry: Folklore And Superstition
Release Date: 2008
Genres: Post Grunge/Hard Rock
Armed with enough instruments to make a band and a bid label supporting their every action, Kentucky 's Black Stone Cherry are back with album number two.
 Lyrics: 6.7
 8.4
 7.7
 9.1
Folklore And Superstition Reviewed by: Nick-White, on september 05, 2008

Sound: Kentucky rockers, "Black Stone Cherry", have returned with a follow up to there 2006 success with album number two entitled "Folklore and Superstition". The overall sound of this record is much more mature than that of the first, but still very "them". This album has ballads such as "Peace Is Free" & "Things My Father Said", and whilst some people are critisising this, I like it. It shows contrast, and prooves that they have a lot more tricks up there sleeves. As a unit they gell well, each song flows cleanly and there is a higher use of harmonic backing vocals then the first album. Granted, there are not as many cracking riffs as the first album, but there are a fair few - all of which (in my opinion) are awesome. Vocal melodies are memorable, and the way John Fred Young (drums) sits back on the riffs and slams into each new section forces you into moving to the music which is a briliant factor. The thing I like most about this album is, like a briefly mentioned earlier, despite experimenting with new concepts such as the ballads and chord based songs as opposed to riffs, they have still managed to maintain that Black Stone Cherry sound they formed on the first album. Great stuff. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics them selves are as good as the first, if not better. When read, they all reflect the title of the record very well. The subject of the lyrics suit this genre of music, and Chris Robertsons voice is like no other. The gravelly sound of his voice really works well with the music, and the way he glissandos between notes, and little blues-like falls and licks really give this band that edge. Chris' voice also performs well on the ballads, but maybe a little too overpowering at times. If I were to critise one thing about the singer, I would say work on the dynamic range. Apart from that - brilliant. // 8

Overall Impression: Every band has there influences, BSC's being bands such as Led Zep & ACDC as an example. But there is something about this album, and BSC as a whole that sets them aside from anything else I have heard before. It's southern hard rock, and you can detect that after listening to songs like "The Key", & "Ghost Of Floyd Collins" but there is something else I can't quite put my finger on. But I would definatley say, for fans of bands like Led Zep, The Showdown (the Temptation Come My Way album, mainly), and generally riffy hard rock - this album is definatley worth checking out. The best songs, for me - would have to be "Blind Man", "Ghost Of Floyd Collins", "Things My Father Said" and "Long Sleeves". If this album were to be stolen - I would shake the thiefs hand, for having such great taste. Then ask for the album back! It is one of my favourite albums, check it out. These guys have got a lot more to give - so keep your eyes on them. // 10

Folklore And Superstition Reviewed by: Lin, on august 25, 2008

Sound: Many among classic rock revivalists have been waiting with baited breath for Black Stone Cherry to follow up 2006's self titled debut, with the sense that this was a band on the verge of greatness. With a title like that you'd be forgiven for thinking this was a bonafide southern rock classic. Opener "Blind Man" may hit as hard as anything from the last record, but don't let that fool you; this is a very different affair. Once you get onto showpiece single "Please Come In," you realise that this is a band that has significantly changed it's direction. The song may have a catchy chorus and riff but somehow the two never quite gel. Once the new sound fails it leaves you with low expectations for the rest of the album. // 8

Lyrics: Much of the impetus for this change has apparently come from frontman Chris Robertson. Other stinkers on this 13 track disk include Things My Father Said, Peace Is Free and You. After each the rest of the band does their best to recover the momentum by delivering a couple of swaggering rockers reminiscent of the first album but Robertson's repeatedly insists on adding the occasional cringy ballad every few songs, killing the momentum of the disc in it's cradle. As a lyricist he is far better when he's being obscure and conceptual (like on Rain Wizard) than he is with this kind of thing, which leaves him sounding worrying reminiscent of Creed's Scott Stapp. // 5

Overall Impression: What fans want out of Black Stone Cherry is an album they can put on loud and leave playing without worrying about it. If you try to do that with Folklore And Superstition you will find yourself running back to the stereo to turn down the volume and skip songs. There are some good rockers to be found here, but Robertson's efforts to find the band a breakthrough single, though well intentioned, have ultimately failed. // 6

Folklore And Superstition Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 16, 2008

Sound: This is Black Stone Cherry's second album and on it the band certainly have a more mature sound. They managed to rope in Bob Marlette to produce the album and his contribution is denfinitley audible. Now, I have to admit that at first I wasn't exactly pushed on the idea of a band's second album being based around a concept but it works pretty well and the concept and sound suit the band. The opening song "Blind Man" is quite like the song off their first album and as a single probably gives off the wrong impression of the album as a whole. The next track "Please Come In" goes in a completely different direction. The song is almost over-produced with backing vocals, different instruments and effects and it seems as though the band wrote the song as a type of overture for the rest of the album and as such is a bit all over the place with it's heavy riff not blending to well into the bridge and ballad-esque chorus. "Reverend Wrikle" is has an almost undescribable rock/metal/folk sound to it and an epic chorus. "Soulcreek" is probably the weakest song on the album and seems a bit like the first BSC album by numbers. Then comes thier first ballad. A lot of people and magazines have complained about the ballads and the amount of them on this album but "Things My Father Said" is an exellent first attempt.I read a review recently of this album and the reviewer claimed that on this song Chris Robertson sounds like Ronan Keating, and to be honest he does, on every track!! Chris Robertson is the Ronan Keating of the rock world! "The Bitter End" is an exellent brooding melodyolic almost metal song and anyone who's heard Marlette's work on Alice Cooper's Brutal Planet or Dragontown will be able to pick out the haunting backing vocals and distancing effects he uses here. "Long Sleves" and "Peace is Free" are two songs similar in theme and sound. They blend folky/revolution themes with classic hard rock. "Devil's Queen" would not have been out of place on BSC's first album but has an exellent ghost ship quality to it and although it is one of the albm's strongest songs it will probably be overshadowed by the rest of the album and be forgotten. "The Key" is a great swap-rock style song and features a spooky hoe-down. "You" is the album's final ballad a features some playfull, if if not exactly incredibly impressive, use of instruments. "Sunrise" has the paced aggression of "The Bitter End" but has a bridge that borders regae. The album comes to a crackling finish with "The Ghost of Folyd Collins" the story of a trapped miner. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics on the album get a bit cheesy at times but never take it too far. The best lryics on the album are no doubt on "The Key" with a few song like "Devil's Queen", "Ghost of Flyod Collins" and admittedly "Things My Father Said" if only for the fact that they convey emotions very well. Chris Robertson's voice never faults on this album but is probably not as extravagant or powerfull as on "BSC" and it does suit the darker theme and songs on the album. One vocal aspect of the album htat dissapointed me was that although titled "Folklore and Superstition" on a good few song as story was suggested but never expanded on or developed. // 7

Overall Impression: Although more mature, I don't think this album is as good as "BSC". My favorite songs on the album are "Blind Man" "Devil's Queen" "Sunrise" and "Ghost of Floyd Collins". Overall it's a good concept album but I'd prefer to see the next album as more rock'n'roll and Led Zepplin style than this. If you don't already have the first album (and like ACDC Led Zepplin Lynard Skynard or any classic rock style music) get that first. // 8

More Black Stone Cherry reviews rating latest review