Light From Above Review

Black Tide: Light From Above
Release Date: Feb 11, 2008
Genre: Heavy Metal, Speed Metal, Thrash Metal
Label: Interscope
First things first, the singer/lead guitarist has now just turned 15. Take that into consideration when first listening to this young band and behold how stellar they are as musicians.
 8.3
 8.6
Light From Above Reviewed by: Glam-Hammer, on may 28, 2008

Sound: First things first, the singer / lead guitarist has now just turned 15. Take that into consideration when first listening to this young band (average age is around 19-20) and behold how stellar they are as musicians. Then again, some may see this factor as the selling point and hook to the band - but meh, it's the music they create that should be acknowledged. As expected with a world where production is becoming sharper and cleaner, every instrument sounds tip-top on 'Light From Above'. Every palm-muted guitar riff or squeeling solo is crisp, with the bass rumble not overshadowed by too harshly by the drums. It's pretty easy to pick out everyone playing too. The only problem here is with vocals - some words are hard to pick out but this simply due to Gabriel's style and this probably his choice if anything. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty cliche and simplistic throughout. I don't really know how I feel about them, as they're not wonderful but do it for me when set against the music and they each compliment each other well. There are lots of sing-along chorus opportunities (which is always good to me) and you definately won't sit around scratching your head deciphering what particular lyrics mean. A few of the songs are based around warriors and battling and such - like Iron Maiden for example. Some are about girls and just being an angry teenager. So yeah, don't be expecting to find deep lyrics with long words where you'll sit trying to find a meaning. If you like simple, catchy choruses then this will do it for you. // 9

Overall Impression: It's awesome. It's that simple. Air-guitar inducing solos, sing-along chorus and headbanging tunes, it's pretty much THE sort of metal / rock band everyone can openly listen too. It doesn't shut out anyone (unless you're a believer of metal being all hardcore and shit) and is simply a fun little CD I'm in love with right now. If they can keep this up then they'll make it no problems. // 10

Light From Above Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 05, 2008

Sound: The band's sound is a tasteful mix of thrash speed, Guns N' Roses catchyness/acessability, and face-ripping solos, with some chord progressions relating to Ascendancy-era Trivium and metalcore. They have a hard time finding where they settle in these almost complete opposites, especially going from "Shockwave" which is heavily Guns, to "Warriors Of Time" which has a Megadeth/Trivium vibe. But it should be considered that singer/guitarist/ mostly main writer Gabriel Garcia is only 15, and that alone should impress you when he rips your face with his leads. (14 at the time of release). The rest of the band are also solid players, but the real star here is Garcia. // 8

Lyrics: I'll admit the lyrics could be of a higher quailty, but then again who the hell do you know who's 15 that can even deliver compotant lyrics? They're not bad, but they seem dated for the modern music scene. "Shockwave" is kind of like Old Megadeth with the violence and "Warriors Of Time" has cool power metal like lyrics, but again, metal has come a long way since then. Other songs seem to deal with the raging hormones of being young, like "Let Me" and "Give Me A Chance", but really, I write better lyrics and I'm younger than Garcia. But then again, they're not pretencious at all, they just tell the truth like a good punk rock record.It should be noted that Garcia has a GREAT voice, especially for someone his age. He sounds like a somewhat subdued Geddy Lee, and his range is more than perfect to fit the music. Good, but hopefully later releases will show growth here in the lyrics department. Great singing though. // 7

Overall Impression: Black Tide have a little bit of growth to do on their next records before truly being taken seriously by the Metal elite and their fans, but this record is solid, and confident, which is often a problem with debuts. They play like a band that has played for years, which is great, especially considering the age of the members. The "Hits" here are "Shockwave", "Warriors Of Time", the Metallica cover "Hit The Lights" (and I HATE Metallica, so hats off), and closer "Light From Above". They have the most confidence and recklesness. I love the fact that these guys are so good at their instruments, especially Garcia (like I said, it's all about him here.) The only thing I really don't like about this record, is that it could be, how do I say it, rawer? the songs are great but a little less radio rock/pop production sheen (Johny K of Disturbed/Godsmack fame DID produce this, so blame him), and a little more volume that doesn't come from my headphones would also be great. Well worth your money though, you should buy this, these guys definitely have a future. If it were stolen, I might take the initative to buy something else and wait for the hopefully better next record, but I definitely would replace it at some point. This is a great confident, entertaining metal record, someting which is pretty common but, the age of the band members really does make you wonder if other bands even compare to how great these kids will get to be. Looking forward to the future. // 9

Light From Above Reviewed by: Frankenstrat616, on august 18, 2008

Sound: Black Tide are amazing! Light from Above is a great debut, and it's just what the music of today needs. The stunning sound of heavy riffs, and Gabriel's voice combine to make an incredible sound. It sounds like influences come from the likes of Iron Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth etc. It sounds like this band should've been around 20 years ago (I'm only 13), but the solid production of the music gives it a 21st century kick. // 10

Lyrics: Being a heavy metal/hard rock album, these lyrics are cliched beyond belief, but are nonetheless incredible, and go really well with the music. The Singer Gabriel is amazing, and for a 15 year old, he blew me away. Because I've listened to band with older frontmen, and they all sound great, I thought Gabriel would have a lot to live up to, but I was completely wrong. I just thought 'Wow this guy is amazing'. // 9

Overall Impression: I would say that the influences for this band are slightly obvious, but it also sounds very original. I would recommend listenint to 'Shockwave' and 'Shout', because they truly caught me. I love the fact that the guys in the band were under 20 when this album was recorded, and the songs are amazing. They're not one of those teenaged Pop Rock bands like 'MCR' or 'fall Out Boy'. No, this is real rock. If it was lost/stolen, I would definitely buy it again. // 10

Light From Above Reviewed by: Footzyrama, on september 26, 2008

Sound: They sound straight out the 80's, however there more greatly mixed then the bands of old, (kill em' all for example). They have a thrashy sound with some catchy riffs to boot, this may be because thier greater influences include Metallica and Guns N' Roses. // 9

Lyrics: The singer is a in my opinion a very good singer (espeically being 15) however the lyrics for me are far to cliche and at some points make me want to turn the track over to listen to something of great depth and meaning. However this is the account for all the songs on this album with some lyrics being quite enjoyable especially with the music there relating to. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a debut album and therefore there is room for improvement. However it is still a good listen. my favourite songs of this album are Shout, Light from above and shockwave. There is also a cover of Hit The Lights by metallica on there, which is a good listen but I'm not a fan of the solo they've done on that tune. If this album was stolen I would buy it again. A very good debut. // 9

Light From Above Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 10, 2010

Sound: Black Tide is a very young and talented metal band, and with Light from Above they prove it. Think a combination of just about every Megadeth album and you have this. It has the brutality of Peace Sells and Killing is my Business, and the melodic sense of Cryptic Writings and other Friedman-era classics. Light from Above was produced by metal guru Jason Suecof (Trivium, August Burns Red, Job for a Cowboy). // 8

Lyrics: I only seem to have one problem with the lyrics; they hardly ever rhyme. Call me old-fashioned, but that's kind of the difference between lyrics and free-form poetry (albeit about battle and warfare in most tracks like "Warriors of Time", "Enterprise", and the epic title track. Frontman/Lead guitarist Gabriel Nunez has a very good and distinctive voice that comes across as a mix of Dave Mustaine and Ozzy. // 6

Overall Impression: I enjoy this album. This band sounds like if Metallica and all the early Bay Area thrash giants' first albums had been polished for the iGeneration. The best tracks are:"Shockwave" and "Live Fast Die Young". The worst track would be "Black Abyss" (obvious filler). I probably wouldn't rebuy this album, but only because I've listened to it so much. // 7

Light From Above Reviewed by: N3WW4V3N1NJ4, on october 18, 2013

Sound: I really don't know what kind of music you could classify Black Tide as. They're metal enough to be considered standard Metal, but there's also some elements of Punk Rock, Hardcore and even a tiny bit of Guns N' Roses-esque Hard Rock at certain points. This is a very odd band, but then again, all the members were only teenagers when they recorded this album, so, if you put it into that perspective, "Light From Above" is pretty impressive. I'm sure their chaotic mashing of styles was probably intentional, given that this album was their debut. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics dance on the thin line between stereotyped Metal lyrics and '80s Power Ballad lyrics, with a mild undertone of early Nine Inch Nails. The lyrics are all fairly good, but nothing all too amazing. The music, when considered along with the lyrics is about the same, no spectacle, but well enough to work decently. The standout track when listening to the entire album, somehow manages to be a really nice cover version of Metallica's "Hit the Lights," which I actually found myself liking about equally as much as the original. The runner-up would have to be "Show Me the Way," which just because I know I'm going to have to say it eventually is NOT the Peter Frampton song. // 9

Overall Impression: My opinion on this album is quite simple, really. I think this band has a lot of potential and I sincerely hope that the two or three other albums they've released since "Light From Above" can live up to the sheer fun of this one. I don't know, as I haven't listened to any more of their music besides this single album, but unless they sell out, it can only get better from here... I hope. For some reason, as I'm writing this I have the sudden feeling that this is the best thing Black Tide will ever release, but I will still check out their other stuff sometime. // 9

More Black Tide reviews rating latest review