Rebels [EP] Review

artist: black veil brides date: 11/05/2014 category: compact discs
black veil brides: Rebels [EP]
Released: Dec 12, 2011
Genre: Glam Metal, Hard Rock
Having an early listen to the glam metal band out of Hollywood, Black Veil Brides. Their new EP "Rebels" is groundbreaking.
 Lyrics: 7.5
 6.6
 7.7
 5.5
Rebels [EP] Reviewed by: BloodInYourEyes, on december 09, 2011

Sound: Having an early listen to the glam metal band out of Hollywood, "Black Veil Brides". Their new EP "Rebels" is groundbreaking. Having an edge of classic rock, with a modern twist, within the double bass and heavy guitar riffs, along with Andy Biersack's "New and improved" screaming. This adds a brilliant touch to the one original track on the album. The album features the hit 80's anthem "Rebel Yell" by Billy Idol, and a not so big hit by the party rockers known as "Kiss", the track Black Veil Brides will be covering is "Unholy". Featuring Zakk Wylde, The legendary guitarist that has played with the best. Black Veil Brides will make their fans happy with one new original track, titled "Coffin". Starting off with a shredding drum solo by C.C.(Christian Coma), and a guitar solo by Jake Pitts. Andy starts singing on this track, as normal I would expect his mediocre to average monotone voice to come out. To my surprise he has actually trained his vocals, and It sounded better than what I heard off of "We Stitch These Wounds" and "Set The World On Fire". This EP WILL NOT Disappoint. // 9

Lyrics: Only having one original track on the "Rebels" EP, it's hard to tell how much his vocals have improved, but what I did hear, I was astonished. The lyrics for "Coffin" were dark, beautiful, and filled with meaning. More than the title lets on. The music also goes along really well with the instruments. // 10

Overall Impression: As usual, Andy sounds like no one else on the metal music scene, and hes changed it so that no one will ever sound like him or Black Veil Brides. The only thing I would change ( And that they need to work on) is their guitar solo's, sometimes it was hard to tell the difference between solo's in all three of the songs, as the same in their past three albums. Overall, this album shows their talent, and I can't wait for more. // 9

Rebels [EP] Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 15, 2011

Sound: The Black Veil Brides have a new EP out called "Rebels" and it really rocks. It features all the heavy riffing and glamness that makes BVB so much fun. In addition, there's a Zakk Wylde solo on this album, which is more than enough reason to listen to anything. The guitar work is fun as always and some of the part are really impressive. The bass from Ashley is heavier than on previous efforts, which gives BVB a darker sound. The drums are fairly solid too and feature some nice fills. The vocals are especially good on this record and feature plenty of sing a long choruses. Yet the guitar duo of Jinxx and Jake truly takes this band to the next level. Jinxx has some rhythm parts on this record that show that even though he can be an obnoxious douche his guitar playing more than compensates for it. His guitar work is headbanging and fun and pays a big tribute to his glam roots. Jake's solos on this record are excellent, the shredding on "Coffin" is excellent and shows a lot of skill. His lead part on "Rebel Yell" is also very well done and gives the song a great BVB flavor. The Wylde solo on Unholy is excellent and very pentatonic. All in all the guitar work on this record is very solid. The bass work of Ashley Purdy is very solid on this record. She apparently got the right to turn the bass up because the bass lines on "Rebels" are loud and proud. In particular the chugging bass line on "Unholy" gives a great rhythm to the music. On other songs like "Coffins" Purdy sits back a little but her bass is still heavy and succeeds in making the music heavier than on previous releases. The drum work is excellent and features a bunch of fills. Christian Coma never fails to pump out the good stuff and this record proves no exception. // 9

Lyrics: The vocals from Biersack are rather different on "Rebels". While he retains his normal style things seem a lot heavier with him. There is a lot more growling on this EP than on "Set The World On Fire". Something has happened in the BVB camp to make Biersack much more aggressive and evil sounding. Personally I find the new type of vocals to be fairly pleasing and showing some variety from the Brides which is always nice. The lyrics are typical of this band, they talk mostly about lost love and angsty anger at the world. They're fun to listen too but honestly not great. // 9

Overall Impression: In conclusion, the latest effort from the Black Veil Brides is fun and shows a lot of skill. The guitar parts are great and the solos are awesome as ever. The bass is heavier than ever and gives the band a darker sound. The drum work is some of the best in the genre and leaves the ears happy. Biersack's vocals are a lot more evil sounding and are starting to show some maturity. In brief, this record is a great one and shows a lot of progress on the part of the band. // 8

Rebels [EP] Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 13, 2012

Sound: This EP's sound is pretty decent. The guitar work is great and I feel like even though Andy's voice continues to deepen he still makes it work. I'm more of a fan of BVB's first album more than their new but I believe this album brought that rock'n'roll feel people love. Its a pretty solid record and the covers on it are better than I expected. I'm actually impressed with the Rebel Yell cover. Andy's voice has the edge on it to really make it work. That being said his screams on this record are weak. they're no where close to any legit screaming but he gives his screams his own personal twist. Which I find pretty cool. Overall a good sounding EP. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics on the only new original on the EP "Coffin" are pretty cool. They add a great feeling of stress and anger to the record. The screaming in this song is different then you would usually hear. I'm not sure what to say about the other songs being that they are covers. But I feel they work well with the BVB style. // 7

Overall Impression: This EP isn't mind blowing and certainly isn't the groundbreaking album people think it is. I think its a good EP with a creative spin on the covers with a kick a-s new original. "Coffin" has an aggressive sound to it and I think its probably their best new song. I'm pretty happy with the EP and what BVB is doing currently. I don't think they're changing the metal scene in anyway whatsoever but they are definitely putting their two cents in. However I'm not too happy with their new sound. I wish they would go back to their original emo/gothic sound. I think if they would add a little Marilyn Manson feel to their music I think it would kick a-s. But overall this is a solid EP and I only recommend to people who enjoy BVB and some classic rock. // 8

Rebels [EP] Reviewed by: spikewolf123, on november 05, 2014

Sound: This EP is the 3rd release by the band and opens with an ambient piano sound before opening into what fans will be used to. Andy Biersack has a below par voice and, when clean singing, can be very monotonous. When attempting screamed vocals he isn't much more successful they are poorly executed and also don't fit into the song. The piano work was a nice surprise at the start and as per the guitar work in the EP was above average. The guitar solo's fit in with the songs and show talent among the guitarists in regards to melody. As per with this band the musical side of things are better than most you'd hear in mainstream rock music. // 6

Lyrics: This album features 2 covers, of "Rebel Yell" - Billy Idol and "Unholy" - Kiss featuring Zakk Wylde, lyrically those songs are in their own regard and I don't believe should be taken into consideration in this category. However the original track, "Coffin," I feel was lyrically was repetitive and not the bands best work. It was filled with Christian imagery, not slandering religion, but I felt this was not much of an evolution from the previous record that I expected as they progressed and became more mature. Also the lyrics in the breakdown was hard to hear due to the poor quality of his screamed vocals. // 4

Overall Impression: Compared to other artists by Black Veil Brides I felt let down by this it didn't seem much of an evolution more of a way to get songs cut from the record out there I expected more of a fresh sound rather than a carbon copy. Unholy was an impressive song compared to the others Zakk Wylde does add to the track although it's minimal. The other covers sounded bland and trying too hard. I don't dislike this album but if I lost it I don't think it's worth the money to buy it again. Overall this was a poor installment in their discography compared to their other records. // 5

More Black Veil Brides reviews rating latest review