Set The World On Fire Review

6.8
 7.3
 6.3
Set The World On Fire Reviewed by: Mark Roxx, on june 20, 2011

Sound: Black Veil Brides return with their sophomore album "Set The World On Fire" less than a year after their debut, "We Stitch These Wounds" was released. They have replaced their previous drummer, Sandra Alvarenga, with Christian Coma. The rest of the lineup remains the same with Andy Biersack (vocals), Jinxx (guitar), Jake Pitts (guitar), and Ashley Purdy (bass). The album was released on July 14, 2011 on Lava Records, making it their major label debut. For this album, the listener must not judge the band or album based on their image or their debut album. They are no longer an emo band, but that's not to say it isn't still aimed at the mainstream rock crowd. There is much less screaming (only on four songs is there any at all). The production is, in my opinion at least, significantly better than "We Stitch These Wounds". The drums are much more prominent and fast. Jinxx and Jake put several guitar solos in (all shredding solos, by the way) to where they can be almost uncomfortable (i.e. "Ritual"). But it's up to the listener to decide if continuous shredding is a positive or negative. // 8

Lyrics: Andy's vocals haven't changed much, but in songs like "Fallen Angels", you can tell he's going for a bit rougher style, comparable to a sleaze rock band. Like I mentioned before, the screams are used sparingly. If you're more fond of their debut, that will probably be a disappointment. If not, that may be a relief, because when he does scream, it can be kind of painful (not in an emotional/good way). Unfortunately, his vocal range isn't particularly impressive. It also may sound a bit nasal at times, but don't blow it out of proportion to "Knives And Pens" nasal. Andy's voice continues to drop with his excessive smoking habit, which is probably a good thing for the direction the band is heading. There's no vocalist I could compare him to off the top of my head. There is a lot, and I mean a lot of gang vocals throughout the album. When I listen, I don't really notice it. But if that's going to annoy you, watch out! The lyrics are probably as good as you'd expect them to be. Not awful, but definitely not out of a genius mind. In "Savior", the (thankfully) only ballad, he goes with the "I'll always be there for you" theme. On the other songs, the themes are quite positive compared to their earlier work. The songs "Ritual", "Set The World On Fire", and "Fallen Angels" are good examples. // 7

Overall Impression: I wouldn't go compare this to an '80s glam metal band. The image is similar, but the sound is far from glam metal. At the same time, it's certainly not post-hardcore or emo anymore. So where does this fit, then? Well, to be honest, it reminds me of Avenged Sevenfold's "Nightmare" album - most notably the guitar work and the overall song structure. I was very happy with every song from the album, but my favorites are "God Bless You" (the opening riff got me), "Rebel Love Song", the sing-along chorused "Die For You", and the happy "Ritual". As a fan of almost all rock genres, I enjoyed this album a lot, even though it leans towards the generic side. A more picky listener will probably feel differently. All I suggest to the listener is to have no prior judgements and let the music speak for itself. // 8

Set The World On Fire Reviewed by: Blood Avenger, on june 20, 2011

Sound: I loved the bands debut album, "We Stitch These Wounds", so I was excited when i heared of this new album. I pre-ordered it and when it arrived I wasnt disapointed. The band not only SOUND great, which is what music is all aboot right? but they look amazing. They all have a unique style and it fits very well ith the music. They are influenced by theatrical rock bands such as Kiss and Alice Cooper and it shows. The guitar work by Jake and Jinxx is insane with immence riffs and much more intense solos! The drummer, CC, does an brilliant job of playing the drums. Andy's Vocals are amazing from his epic screams to his amazing singing in general. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are amazing. Andy really cares aboot his fans and appriciates them and it shows in these lyrics. They're full of meaning and hope. The main message in the lyrics is to never give in! And not to care what others think of you. The lyrics are sung amazingly. The screams are amazing and in general the vocals are very melodic. the first time I ever heard Andy sing I got gooseflesh and now his singing has improved so much! // 10

Overall Impression: When I got the album it came with a free coletable poster, I myself got Ashley Purdey, but if you were to collect the poster of every band member it pieces together in order to form a bigger poster! I really enjoyed the whole album but a few of my stand out songs were, the first two singles, "Fallen Angles" & "The Legacy", "Saviour" and "Youth And Whisky". I Love almost everything on this album, especial the guitar, as I myself play guitar. If this was stolen I wouldn't really need to buy it again as its all on my iPod but I would just to get another piece of the poster! lol. // 10

Set The World On Fire Reviewed by: djae_punk1, on june 20, 2011

Sound: Black Veil Brides went for a more rock oriented style for this record whereby they've abandoned they're hardcore style from the "We Stitch These Wounds" album; it appears as though they've slightly toned down with this new album. Despite not being as riff laden as their earlier works, singles such as "Set The World On Fire" still stand out, as wells as "New Religion" due to the messages that they convey to the listener as well as the ever admirable shredding abilities of Pitts in the "New Religion" solo as well as in "God Bless You", not to mention the refreshing licks that Jinxx throws in though-out the songs aiding to the overall classic rock 'n' roll feel of the album. The drumming abilities of Coma is perhaps the most brilliant thing in this album as he does not hold back, songs such as "New Religion" are a testament to this. Their incorporation of a double-kick drum into their music is also quite innovative and refreshing. In terms of their overall sound, I could definitely say that they have indeed grown as artistes as Biersack has refined his vocal abilities and his singing is now much more prominent and defined. However, I must add that his screaming will be missed as it is one of the little things that defines Black Veil Brides as a new This album is perhaps, for lack of a better word, "simpler" than what we've heard from them before and it seems as though they're holding back in terms of their musical prowess. However, the fact is that Black Veil Brides have manged to maintain a very rock 'n' roll sound and stay true to the genre in an era where everyone seems to be going towards a more digital and electronic direction. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics that e as fans have come to expect from Black Veil Brides seem to disappear in this album as Biersack appears to take a step away from incorporating his personal lifestyle in the lyrics of the songs; I suppose this does indeed show that they are growing as musicians as they draw their lyrical themes from a different source for this particular album. The mot stand-out song in terms of lyrics would perhaps be "New Religion" as it impresses on breaking away from societies norms an brings out the Black Veil Brides that fans have come to adore. Again, Biersack steps away from his former screamo style vocals and shifts towards a more refined melodic style which does indeed mesh into the lyrical themes quite well. // 6

Overall Impression: Compared to "We Stitch These Wounds", this album does not really bring out the "we are outcasts" feeling that Black Veil Brides stands for, it's hardly as rebellious as the earlier record. The most impressive songs would be "New Religion" due to it's lyrical message and brilliant drumming as well as "Set The World On Fire" as there is something amiable about it's simplistic style. The songs in general lack emotion as compared to the earlier record and relating to them is not exactly a possibility for the listener. But as I've mentioned before, I love it's simplicity as it shows that they have indeed grown as musicians. Would I buy this album again if my copy got lost/stolen? Yes, I would; as much as it's not a brilliant album, it's good and I do enjoy a number of tracks. I'm actually looking forward to the next BVB record, just to see what they can come up with. With that said, I ope my inbox doesn't get ambushed by scores of unhappy teenage girls :) Though I'd love to know what other BVB fans think of it... // 6

Set The World On Fire Reviewed by: dash-rendar, on june 21, 2011

Sound: I was first introduced to the Black Veil Brides by a friend of mine, who was really into their old stuff (ie - "The Gunsling", which to this day remains one of my favorite songs) and I myself enjoyed their music. That being said, I enjoy pretty much everything with some exceptions (Justin Beiber comes to mind... LOL) Compared to their demos and their debut "We Stitch These Wounds", this sound is somewhat the same and somewhat different at the same time. Musically, the band's overall sound hasn't changed much - guitars tuned to drop-C# with lots of distortion and some nice harmonies, heavy drums (many props to Christian "CC" Coma for his drumming. It's very solid and helps keep the band glued together) and a nice bedrock of bass. Andy "Six" Biersack seems to be screaming less and THAT is where the chance kicks in. He's going for a more melodic style of vocals this time around, and I personally approve. I am not a big fan of his screams when you compare them to other screamers in the same genre. One interesting thing to note though - I read in a Guitar World interview with Jinxx (rhythm guitar) and Jake Pitts (lead guitar) that a lot of their breakdowns and harmonies are influenced by Bach's "Inventions". I myself have listened to a few and noticed a lot of similiarities. Check it out and let me know if you hear the same. They sound like a lot of other bands out there, but their image gives them a bit of a boost in the looks department. // 7

Lyrics: Andy's lyrics have shifted focus from "We are outcasts and we're damn proud of going against the grain!" to "You're not alone now - don't give in, keep pushing through!" While both have their merits and demerits, I don't have a preference. All in all, I find Andy's lyrics to be a bit weak at times, but he does have some good imagery on tap now and again (good example is the lead single "Fallen Angels" - "We are the in-between, cast down as sons of war / Struck to the earth like lightning, on this world we're torn"). There were some really corny moments in there as well. One such line was from "The Legacy" - "We came from nothing but promised one thing / We'll change the world with these guitars". I HIGHLY doubt two guitarists are going to change the world of hard rock/metal music, even two who have some considerable skill. Their sound is nothing new to the world of music. Overall, I give them the lyrics a 6 - there were some solid one and some really stupid ones, at least in my opinion. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall, "Set The World On Fire" wasn't a bad listen. I will freely admit that I torrented the album because I didn't want to waste money on it if it sucked. I wasn't fully blown away by the album but I wasn't totally disappointed either. For me, the standout tracks were "Fallen Angels" for its nice harmonies and Andy's lyrics (best lyrics on the album in my opinion - nice story told with that one), "The Legacy" for its overall instrumentation (had a VERY tasty drum intro) and album closer "Youth And Whiskey" just for it being a solid closer to the album. I would say I love all the harmonies on the CD. I'm a big fan of classical music so I love hearing the classical element in the Brides sound. The only thing I really hated was Andy's lyrics - at times, they took away from the songs. Considering I didn't buy the album, I wouldn't spend money on it again. That being said, if my computer got wiped or something, I would definately redownload it. Overall, the album was very well done - I look forward to see where the band goes from here. // 7

Set The World On Fire Reviewed by: IAmTwisted, on july 04, 2011

Sound: Black Veil Brides return with their first major label debut, "Set The World On Fire", after only a year since they released their first album "We Stitch These Wounds" in 2010. Their first album consisted mainly of post-hardcore influences, comparing them more to Escape The Fate than their image would suggest. Putting the band's image aside, their first album had a few good points, mainly the skills of the two guitarists Jake Pitts and Jinxx. The band has also had a line up change that has clearly improved the quality of the songs on the album. They have replaced Sandra Alvarenga with Christian Coma. The change can truly be heard, especially in the chorus for "New Religion", where Christian actually blast beats the chorus, which is something that their previous drummer wouldn't have even though of doing, let alone putting it into practice. The drums are impressive throughout the album and bring the songs together well, holding some of the less impressive songs together at the sides to stop them spilling out into generic metal nonsense. The rest of the line up remains the same, Andy Biersack on vocals and Ashley Purdy on bass. "Set The World On Fire" loses this post-hardcore sound, even reducing the amount of abysmal and painful screaming that Andy produced in their first album. Even though the screams are used scarcely within this album, they are still painful to the ear and even sound misplaced within most of the songs, especially the ballad of the album, "Savoir", which ends on a cringe worthy note. However, the melodies of the guitarists truly shine, with some extremely impressive fretwork, such as in "Die For Me", which clearly has some neo classical influences. The guitarists have clearly drawn on multiple influences for their solo's and melodies; even some basic form of Dragonforce can be heard in the solo for "Rebel Love Song". However, whilst the solo'sare clearly impressive and a vast improvement on those featured in their last album, they are all completely shred solo's. And don't get excited and presume that you're going to get a soft melodic solo on one of the slower songs of the album, "Ritual", as it starts out promises but then swiftly declines into yet another fret firework. The album has clearly been mixed and produced a significant amount better than their previous album, possibly due to the presence of Josh Abraham in the production team who has worked with bands such as Linkin Park, Velvet Revolver and Korn. // 7

Lyrics: Whilst the album on a whole is generally decent, the main point of failure lies within their somewhat ailing singer, Andy "Six" Biersack. The lyrics remain similar to the previous album, rising up, accepting who you are, lost love, etc. However, there are some points of originality and clever song writing skills, such as in "New Religion" and "Fallen Angels". The lyrics occasionally weld well with the guitar melodies, but this is unfortunately a rare occurrence. The lyrics are generally unimpressive and generic, resulting in a bland amalgamation that only breaks from its holds on rare occasions. In the last album, Andy was highly criticised, with good reason, for his nasally singing, specifically on "Knives And Pens". Although this has improved for "Set The World On Fire", it is not by a considerable amount and due to this it actually leaves some of the lyrics barely comprehensible. His singing revolves around the same range, essentially never leaving the norm. After listening through a few songs in the album, this eventually becomes an excessive draining sound that you simply wish to erase to truly enjoy the song. Regardless of this, many of the choruses are incredibly catchy, and Andy's singing actually does the job. Nearly all of the songs have some form of crowd chant that is sure to get blood pumping within the audience. "Rebel Love Song" is particularly catchy, which is sure to be stuck in your head, melody and lyrics all. Unfortunately once you've heard one or two of the songs choruses you've essentially heard them all. // 4

Overall Impression: Although not the best album, nor band out in the industry today, it is certainly an improvement on their previous album. There are a lot of good points in the album, making it worth giving a listen to, but simply bare in mind that Andy's singing ruins the true potential of the album. Black Veil Brides prove what they are capable of in "Set The World On Fire", but they need to draw on the untapped potential that is bubbling away on the surface before they can achieve true greatness. Some very tasty, tight riffs and melodies that are both impressive and catchy that prove the skills of the bands guitarists. Overall, the album is worth giving a good listening too, but don't expect to be blown away. // 7

Set The World On Fire Reviewed by: aaronmcm99, on july 09, 2012

Sound: Black Veil Bride - the very name suggests satanic Cradle Of Filth esque music, but the reality is much, much different, why? Because they are actually the rock equivelent of One Direction, with girls annoyingly fangirling over them, and these guys also have an issue with sound, their is TOO MUCH solos, and the songs are not heavy, I'm not exaggerating, Justin Bieber's song "Boyfriend" is heavier than some songs. JUSTIN BIEBER! But thankfully they are very good at guitar and they have one of the best drummers I've heard in a while, but their image, their IMAGE, its a clear ripp off of KISS and Motley Crue, and sound wise its copying most bands like My Chemical Romance, but admittedly their are some decent songs. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics are just silly rhymes with not a lot of meaning to any of them, and Andy Biersack's voice has improved meaning its less nasally and admittedly a lot better than we stitch these wounds and he can hit high notes to prove he is a versatile singer, but that's his downfall, he sounds the same in every song, but not in a good way, here its in a repetitive way, which he Always seems to be, he could have put in anything, an acoustic song, hell even a power ballad but the songs are painfully repetitive with not a lot of innovation. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, its a good album with just enough niggles to keep it back from greatness, they have some great songs here, like "Fallen Angels" or "Rebel Love Song", or the albums name "Set The World On Fire", but then die for you and new religion seem worse by comparison, and way too many solos, not enough low notes, not enough variation in the songs, but a very good drummer who is the best and most talented in the band, but for all the albums flaws this is a step in the right direction. // 7

Set The World On Fire Reviewed by: the chalky one, on november 19, 2012

Sound: Black Veil Brides is a very encouraging band, constantly in their songs you can see over and over again that they are telling us never to give up. And it's okay to be different. I mean, a lot of people make fun of them for the way they dress, but not only is that their image, but to me, it seems their saying "We don't care what you think about us." When I hear Black Veil Brides something changes, I feel as if the problems in my life mean nothing, and that what people say doesn't matter. And when people do mock me for who I am, or what I listen to. I think of Black Veil Brides, and especially, this album. I also think Jake Pitts and Jinx have an awesome playing style. I love when two guitars can be perfectly in sink with one another. It makes a great sound, and it's something few people can do well. // 7

Lyrics: My favorite song on this album is "Fallen Angels". Such a powerful song, with great meaning. I love the lyrics. "Take joy in who you are, we know are wings are flawed. We're bored to death in heaven, and don't belong in hell, we only want to be ourselves." Of course, an album is not made up from one song. (Not a good one anyway). I also loved "New Religion", "Set The World On Fire", "God Bless You", "Rebel Love Song", "Savior", and "Youth And Whiskey". Of course, as much as I love Black Veil Brides, their is one song I didn't like all that much, which was I would die for you. Just my opinion. As for the skills of the singer, I think Andy has an incredible range in vocal tone. He hits the high notes well, the low ones, and screams like no one I've ever heard. He truly is an incredible star. // 9

Overall Impression: The most impressive songs on this album are "Fallen Angels", "New Religion", and "Youth And Whiskey". Although there are two songs I do not care for. "Love Isn't Always Fair", and "I Would Die For You". "God Bless You" is the in between like and dislike for me. I love the music on the intro and the verse, but the chorus just feels like it's missing something. There's build up in the guitars, and then when you expect it just to explode... Nothing. If this CD was lost or stolen, I would buy it again. Because despite the albums flaws, despite what people think, it is a very encouraging album. And has a good message. If everyone stood together, we truly could set the world on fire. // 8

More Black Veil Brides reviews rating latest review