We Stitch These Wounds Review

black veil brides: We Stitch These Wounds
Released: Jul 20, 2010
Genre: Classical Metal/Emo/Melodic Metal
Label: Standby Records
The Black Veil Brides' debut record peaks when guitarists Jinxx and Jake Pitts delve fully into a classical metal sound.
 Lyrics: 7.3
 6.6
 7.5
 5.6
We Stitch These Wounds Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 30, 2010

Sound: Although the Black Veil Brides' debut full-length We Stitch These Wounds was only released this July, the band's buzz has already been a tangible one. Between its consistent touring schedule and already making bank merchandise-wise at Hot Topic, the LA-based quintet is sitting in a pretty cushy spot at this point in the game. Black Veil Brides' debut is certainly worthy of attention, and at the heart of it all is the amazing work of guitarists Jinxx and Jake Pitts. The core songwriting although often fueled by chugging, gain-heavy guitars or double-bass pedal metal work still leans more heavily into an emo area interestingly enough. That's not a diss against Black Veil Brides, but the smooth vocal style of Andy Six makes for a fascinatingly odd contrast with the overall rhythm section. What propels the record is the classically-driven style accentuating each of the 13 tracks. Jinxx is a classically trained violinist on top of everything, which allows the songs to take on more of a Yngwie Malmsteen style at times. After the brief-yet-intriguing opening track The Outcasts (Call To Arms), which is essentially a recorded computer voice announcing the band, the classical vibe becomes readily apparent. We Stitch These Wounds kicks off immediately with a gorgeous, melodic lead guitar line that exudes majesty. Quickly a crunchier distortion and monster growl is added into the mix, but the entrance of Six's clean vocals takes the song and most every track on a much more subdued path. In some ways Six's vocal style is reminiscent to the calming, smooth delivery of HIM's Ville Valo, which not surprisingly, is another favorite of the Hot Topic crowd. Regardless of whether you think Six brings enough aggression to the mix, it's the guitars that inevitably steal the show. From pinch harmonics to arpeggios to your run-of-the-mill power chords, Jinxx and Pitts do not disappoint. Highlights on We Stitch These Wounds include the flowing intro of Never Give In (which could either be the result of delay or layered guitars), and the beautiful twin guitar harmonies in Knives and Pens. Black Veil Brides doesn't get penned in by the typical metal format, which could appeal to a much larger audience in the long run. An unplugged version of Knives and Pens is a standout in its own right, while The Mortician's Daughter (as dark as the title may seem) is one of the sweetest, most stripped down, emotional offerings on the CD. // 9

Lyrics: Herein lies the major dividing line between Black Veil Brides being metal and emo. This is a band that can lay down powerful riffs with the best of them, but in the lyrical content they are also not afraid to talk aboutfeelings. You'll certainly never hear most metal bands uttering the romantic notions you hear in The Mortician's Daughter (I sit here and smile dear; I smile because I think of you, I blush; These bleeding hollow dials, this fuss) or even ideas of love gone wrong in the title track (The tears we've cried; This love has died; You're by yourself here tonight). There are certainly other topics besides love on the album, but emotions and self-reflection are often the key themes at hand. // 7

Overall Impression: If you prefer your metal/rock to revolve around aggressive, testosterone-fueled music or lyrics, Black Veil Brides may leave you unsteadily on the fence. The band delivers elements of rawness particularly in the growl-driven moments within the compositions but there's a restrained quality still present thanks to the cherubic vocals of Andy Six. The band does fall more into a HIM category only the guitar work is astoundingly more impressive in Black Veil Brides. The classically trained work of Jinxx allows for a much wider musical palette and that in itself is deserving of the buzz. // 8

We Stitch These Wounds Reviewed by: masterofguitar1, on august 03, 2010

Sound: The CD starts with a 32 second intro of a dude introducing the Black Veil Brides. The first song "We Stitch These Wounds" starts off with a very A7X feel to it. Once Andy Six starts singing (Wtf? Six you have got to be kidding me. He can't even come up with his own name)all hope of me liking this band a lot has vanished. He isn't a bad singer, but I just dislike it. If they had a different singer then for sure this band would be great. But every single songs it seems like he sings it the same as the last. The guitar work is by far the best thing for this band. But even that get's old after a couple of songs. It's the same riffs we've heard, only they can't make it work. Back to the singing, when Andy screams it just sounds forced into the song. As if they couldn't come up with nothing else to do for that part of the song so he just screamed. The drums are actually very good imo. The bit of joy I got from listening to BVB is when the solo came. But even that makes me say, "How much of the same thing over and over again can we take!?" I think they should at least get rid of Andy's singing and keep his screaming and just get a new singer. That could possibly work. But we have to remember that the only reason these douchebags are famous is because of fan girls obsessing over them! They are like the Justin Bieber of emo music/metal. It's just idiotic. They put up an image of being emo just because it's what is "cool" now a days. And the girls (maybe even some dudes) love it! I've read people that said that Andy sixx has said something a long the lines of, "Be who you want to be and not care about what others think." And yet he's dressing up, putting make up on, and acting like he has the worst life in the world. The whole band is a bunch of hypocrites. Once the emo phase passes no one will remember them. Overall they get a 5 and that's just me being a nice guy. After 5 songs of the album I got so bored I had to listen to better music for an hour until I could finish the whole album. I really can't believe that their "Knives and Pens" video has more then 13 million views. They do not deserve that kind of recognition. For the fan girls that I know are going to bash on me, I am not jealous of their success. Because seriously I would rather not be a "Rockstar" if I had to play the way they do and dress the way they do. I would rather work at Burger King. In probably 3 years no one will remember them so really who cares? The album is a "ehhh" in my point of view. // 5

Lyrics: The lyrics are alright. But they also seem robotic. As if Andy just sat down and said "Alright what sounds emo and rhymes" And wrote down what came to mind. There are some songs where I can say the lyrics are great like in "We Stitch These Wounds" The lyrics are actually ok to listen to. But other then a couple lyrics here and there. There isn't anything special about them. (I know my grammar sucks don't tell me) // 6

Overall Impression: Overall if this band would come on the radio I wouldn't change the station but I wouldn't enjoy it either. For me they are the kind of band that I can care less for but if my friend plays them I won't get that irritated. The most impressive song is probably "The Morticians Daughter" Just because it's the most different song from all of the others. I wanna point out that in 2 songs "Heaven's Calling" and "Children Surrender" They completely stop playing and start again a couple of seconds later. I tend to like that because it gets me pumped. But for some reason it just seems stupid when they do it. There isn't that feeling in it you know? I don't encourage you to go buy the album but I won't tell you off if you do. // 5

We Stitch These Wounds Reviewed by: reptartdf, on august 12, 2010

Sound: Black Veil Brides. I was HIGHLY anticipating this album for a LONG time. I've been listening to them since they were all guys in the band and I have always liked them. Not they're biggest fan but did enjoy so when this album came out I couldnt wait to really hear Jake Pitts and Jinxx on the record. Once I got my hands on the record and listned to it all though I can say, OMG. THIS IS GREAT! This record proves that the band isnt just Andy Sixx. Jake and Jinxx are clearly the standouts of the album and I am proud to say that. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics have a good meaning and a good message to them. Simply said, Never Give In. Andy's is great because of the deepness. It really adds to the bands sound and dark image. His screams/growls are pretty good also. I would like to hear more of them in the future. // 9

Overall Impression: Stand out songs, Beautiful Remains, Children Surrender, We Stitch These Wounds and The Morticians Daughter just to name a few. Its kind of hard to compare them to other bands but thats a good thing. I really do love the guitars on the album. They are just amazing. Please do yourself a favor and go pick up this album. // 10

More Black Veil Brides reviews rating latest review