Wretched And Divine: The Story Of The Wild Ones Review

black veil brides: Wretched And Divine: The Story Of The Wild Ones
Released: Jan 8, 2013
Genre: Glam Metal, Hard Rock
Label: Lava, Universal Republic
"Wretched And Divine" is a very ambitious concept album that seems to really be coming together well at some points, and falling a little short at others. Overall, I think the album is definitely worth checking out.
 Lyrics: 7.5
 6.9
 7.8
 5.9
Wretched And Divine: The Story Of The Wild Ones Reviewed by: UG Team, on january 08, 2013

Sound: Black Veil Brides are still a fairly new act, having signed their first contract under the name Black Veil Brides in 2009, though they have existed in some form or another since 2006. They came straight out of the gate just straight up taking aesthetic aspects of KISS's and Motley Crue's stage personas while still in the process of hammering out their own individual sound. They have remained extremely active since that time, with this being the third full length studio album they have released since that time. Their only remaining founding member is vocalist and keyboardist, Andy Biersack. Their lineup has remained stable since late 2010, however. You can definitely tell that Black Veil Brides step out of their comfort zone at places in this album, and this is where the album shines. There will be fans that will probably be put off with the more orchestrated and ambient elements of the album, but there is still a fair share of hard rock riffing going on. Honestly, their stage personas have been hard for me to overcome in order to enjoy their music, but this album shows at least the effort on their part to say something worth hearing. I hope moving forward that they continue to stretch their boundaries musically. While they initially came off as a very commercial group to me, I have to remember that really a lot of bands like The Who and The Beatles, started out as straight up pop bands. To actually talk about the sound of the album, the composition works quite well and the "F.E.A.R. Transmission" spoken tracks really help create the proper mood to enjoy the album. The orchestration that is used is tastefully done, and the guitar playing is tight throughout the album. The drums do a really great job of holding the tracks together. The album is mixed very well overall with a full stereo mixed sound to it. While the album as a whole is definitely a concept album, the majority of the songs still seem they can stand on their own merits separately from the album. Black Veil Brides needed something to separate them from the myriad hard rock acts out there, and this album helps them in that respect much more than their costumes, hairspray and makeup. // 8

Lyrics: Andy Biersack has a really solid rock voice which fits their genre really well, and Jinxx and Ashley provide solid backup vocals. While Andy's voice isn't super distinctive it is however a workhorse of a voice, providing the range needed and performing solidly on tours and doing extremely well for them on "Wretched And Divine". There is very little vocal processing used, outside of slight reverb or delay, but where it is used it is used to great effect. The lyrical themes seem to go into spirituality, the failure of society and then the general feeling of alienation experienced by people as they grow up. As an example of the lyrics, here are some of the lyrics from "I Am Bulletproof": "Here we go/ Holding on to lies/ holding on to tides that vanish/ Cut the rope, and fall into the sky/ The Devil fills our minds with sadness/ The world's all gone, and I've been naming all my life/ Got some thing to live for, I know that I won't / Surrender/ A warrior of youth/ I'm taking over, a shock to the new world order/ I am bulletproof (x4)/ Here I go/ Another/ Another perfect sky I damage/ Now I know, just who created life/ And why I set my sigt to save it/ The world's all gone, and I've been naming all my life/ Got some thing to live for, I know that I won't surrender/ A warrior of youth/ I'm taking over, a shock to the new world order/ I am bulletproof/ And they say take this final breath, I ask him the truth/ I'm taking over, a shock to the new world order/ I am bulletproof". // 7

Overall Impression: Just to be completely honest, I have not historically had a good attitude about Black Veil Brides and other bands that use a lot of pageantry in their performances, but as I've watched it seems as if Black Veil Brides has really grown into something more interesting than their stage personas. This album, "Wretched And Divine: The Story Of The Wild Ones" comes off as an epic concept album in the vein of "Tommy" or "Operation: Mindcrime". I'm not saying that every moment of the album was a raging success, but there was more success than failure when you listen to the album. I will continue to follow Black Veil Brides to see what they come out with next, and I definitely am intrigued by the direction they are going now. While early in the tracking of the albums they insinuated their release would be a mixture of punk rock and metal, their actual release is much more interesting than I anticipated. There are 19 tracks on the album, however 5 of these tracks are spoken word. The total runtime of the album is right around 52 minutes. There is supposedly a full length film in process as a companion to the album which will be called "Legion Of The Black", but which is not included with the album. So far it was screened a few dates in late December but should be seeing a DVD release in the near future as well as possibly being a pay per view event.

// 7

- Brandon East (c) 2013

Wretched And Divine: The Story Of The Wild Ones Reviewed by: kenziethomas13, on july 18, 2013

Sound: This was the first time I got into Black Veil Brides. I had listened to "We Stitch These Wounds" and "Set the World on Fire," but I never really went back and listened to the album a second time. I really love Andy Biersack's voice, I think he has a really strong voice and sings with so much passion. There is definetly a story behind this album, which is most times the case behind any album, but this album's story is sharing like the ups and downs of life and such. There are a lot of really cool guitar riffs throughout the whole album, and I wish there were more basslines, but it still sounds great. There are some softer sides to the "Wretched and Divine: The Story of the Wild Ones." Not every song is upbeat, like "Lost It All" and "Done For You." I really like all of the tracks on this album, they keep me wanting to hear more. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are very heart felt, and they tell a story throughout the album. Another cool thing about this album is that there is narration between some tracks, that are telling a different side of the story. A story from the "bad guys" perspective. The lyrics and the music fit very well together, although in "Ressurrect the Sun" I wish it didn't have such a slow start, but the song finishes strong and it's one of my favorites. The singers skills are 5 star. I love Andy Biersack's voice, I could listen to him sing all day long. He has what I consider a deep voice, and it's amazing. // 8

Overall Impression: I honestly don't think that this album compares to any other album or artist. It's very unique, and has gotten me to become a fan of Black Veil Brides. I've gone back and listened to their other albums now, I think this album really shows who they really are. The most impressive songs from "Wretched and Divine: The Story of the Wild Ones" would be "New Year's Day," "Wretched and Divine," "We Don't Belong," "Resurrect the Sun," "Shadows Die," "Nobody's Hero," and "In the End." There aren't any bad songs on this album, that's one thing that I love about it. While I'm listening to it, I never skip over a certain song or anything. I don't really hate anything about it, but I do wish the bass would stand out some more, Ashley Purdy has some very mad skills though. If this album was lost, I think I would go out and buy it again. It's phenomenal and I would recommend it to anyone who hasn't ever listened to BVB before, or who doesn't care for them from their past albums, because this one stands out and I think everyone could be a fan of it and relate to some of the lyrics. // 9

More Black Veil Brides reviews rating latest review