Blackfield Review

blackfield: Blackfield
Release Date: Feb 22, 2005
Label: Koch
Genres: Rock
The music isn't exactly chipper, but it's always rich and pretty, and at times (as on the album-ending "Hello") it's downright grandiose.
 9.6
 9.1
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Blackfield Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 05, 2006

Sound: Blackfield started off as a collaboration between Porcupine Tree maestro Steven Wilson, and controversial Israeli singer/songwriter Aviv Geffen. Together they created a dark introverted and, for the most part, mellow album. I wouldn't expect anything but top notch musicianship from Wilson, but I was curious to see what Geffen could bring to the table. He doesn't dissapoint at all. His voice fits the music perfectly. The actual "sound" of the album is kind of hard to describe, but I'll put it like this, think of an artsy, dark, and more talented version of Oasis, and you have a slight idea of how it sounds. Wilson does a great job of steering clear from his bombastic prog/metal tendencies of Porcupine Tree, and turns it down to a very low key, creating a fragile mostly accoustic masterpiece. The songs on the album don't even excede the 5 minute mark, but they don't dissapoint at all. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on Blackfield are just like the music, meloncholly and dreary. Every song is extremely sensitive, with themes like being used, broken relationships, and the absence of confidence. It's ultimately an inside look at the softer side of these two men. Thir voices are great on their own, but when in harmony, its nothing short of beautiful. // 10

Overall Impression: Of all of Steven Wilsons work that I've heard, this album seems to be one of the most consistent, and affectionate. Some standout tracks include the fantastic opener "Open Mind", the hit single "Blackfield", the haunting beauty of "Glow", and the ultimate ballad "Hello". I absolutely love this style of music. Mellow with some explosive moments of rock. It's an album you can can go to sleep to, or rock out to. Blackfield are a perfect example of a band who can still write pop songs, yet not sell out. // 10

More Blackfield reviews rating latest review
+ Blackfield IV 8.5 08/30/2013