Found In The Flood Review

Released: Aug 23, 2005
Label: Vagrant
Genre: Rock
Styles: Post-Hardcore
Complex is the best way to describe this album. It takes the listener for twists and turns that Pass The Flask never did.
 Lyrics: 8.7
 9.3
 9.1
 9.5
reviews (3) 1 comment vote for this album:
Found In The Flood Reviewed by: ajsgotthescoop, on august 27, 2005

Sound: This sophomore album, Found In The Flood, released on 08.23.05, comes two years after they released their debut, Pass The Flask, on Fiddler Records. This album has been released on Vagrant Records. The Bled provide a nice fusion of metal and hardcore. There are some interesting innovations in the sound, especially on the song She Calls Home. There are some great licks and nice riffs to back up the cutting screams. Overall, this album shows that this band is constantly getting better and better as musicians. The songs on this album are sure to sound amazing live, and the Bled delivers an explosive show nonetheless. The amazing studio quality can only improve. // 10

Lyrics: The Bled's sophomore album's lyrics can't truly be compared to their first album, Pass The Flask. Art is judged by its own merits, not by consensus. In this album, the lyrics were written jointly. The entire band worked together like a true band. This is a huge step for them in truly becoming great musicians. The lyrics fit the songs perfectly except for the song With An Urgency, which is track nine. As soon as the singer utters the first words, "Hey you, young love, don't let them cut out your tongue," I am forced to click skip track. Besides that one track, this album features some good singing, as well as screams that sound like singer James Munoz is being burned alive. Check out the screaming in Guttershark (track 2) at the very beginning, about ten seconds in. The rest of the songs also feature some brutal screams as well as a rather raspy singing tone. Every song seems to tell a story, and a good one at that. // 8

Overall Impression: I'd say that Found In The Flood is one of the must-buy hardcore albums of 2005, if not of all time. The most impressive songs are Guttershark, My Assassin, Antarctica, Last American Cowboy, and Daylight Bombings. For those who need something to tear their face off, listen to either Guttershark or She Calls Home. For some slower, more melodic tracks, check out Antarctica and Daylight Bombings. Another positive side of this album is how rocks longer than Pass The Flask. There is 40+ minutes of music here. Possibly the best thing about this album is the way the Bled manage to fuse together brutal breakdowns, good riffs, and harmonics. They have established themselves as one of the best bands on the hardcore/metal circuit, and are sure to only keep improving. If I ever lost this album, or the Bled's other album, for the matter, I'd rush off to buy it again. This is definitely one of the best releases so far this year, if you are into the genre. // 10

Found In The Flood Reviewed by: "i", on december 21, 2005

Sound: Found In The Flood sounds like an atomic explosion beneath the surface of the ocean. I envision a thick, blue mass of sound engulfing Japan, a warm thank you to the makers of Orange Amplifiers and to the Bled for opting to use them. With FITF, The Bled have progressed, most distinctively, in two areas. The first of these I'd like to address is the technical aspect of their music. In their first and previous release, "Pass The Flask," math and odd time signatures were evident now and again on a couple tracks. With their latest record, the mathy chaos that was struggling to surface has finally fully emerged from it's watery incubation. Secondly, the Bled have become better songwriters overall. The songs have a much more solid structure now. Simply put, they are more memorable, melodic, and more thouroughly thought out. This, along with their contract with Vagrant Records, should help to expand their fame. I instantly think of a show featuring The Bled with Poison the Well, Beloved adn Thrice. This fact, however, does in no manner detract from the somewhat dark, mathematical hardcore appeal that The Bled shares with bands such as The Dillinger Escape Plan and Mastadon. // 8

Lyrics: I was approached by a friend in regards to the lyrical content of this very disc. In frustration he related to me how he had read all the lyrics and was very dissatisfied, as he was unable to decipher any straightforward messages throughout. If you, like he, prefer to fully understand the lyrics immediately, you might be equally disgruntled. I prefer the intrigue of confusion. I'll usually end up developing my own interpretations which resultantly makes each song more personal. To me, this style of writing is more creative and intelligent. But to each their own. Anyway, the lyrics are good but not amazing, They're creative and odd but they're not quite to the mind-boggling level of The Mars Volta or The Blood Brothers. But yeah, they're good. // 8

Overall Impression: One of the defining factors for me while listening to FITF is that it is more of a concept album then Pass the Flask was. I love this. There is definitely a consistent theme and feel that weaves itself through the midst of the album, from the intro on. Once again, It isn't quite to the level of The Mars Volta or Mastadons epic masterpieces, not that it's worse, it's just not quite in the same category. Each song seems to have topic unique unto itself, rather than telling a story. Nevertheless, the record is large and epic. It is, as a whole, an accomplishment well worthy of my $15. // 8

Found In The Flood Reviewed by: TheJManSays, on march 23, 2006

Sound: After their amazing debut album Pass The Flask, expectations were high for the follow-up. Found In The Flood not only meets the bar that Pass The Flask set, but shatters it. All of the band members have improved. The guitar riffs are fantastic, and vary in styles and heaviness all around. They range from the heavy, pitch-jumping riffs in songs like Last American Cowboy to arpeggiated, ambient melodies like those in Antarctica. The drummer is amazingly creative and versatile; his percussion never fails to suit the mood, from the galloping crunch of I Don't Keep With Liars Anymore to the clacking drumsticks in My Assassin. Mike, the bassist on Pass The Flask left, but his replacement Darren doesn't fail to impress. In fact, I think that he's one of the more creative bassists in hardcore music right now. Listen to the sliding bassline in the chorus of Antarctica and the bass solo in Millionaires, just to name a few. Honestly, every single track has at least one sweet bass moment - he isn't some no-talent goon trying to mimic the rhythm guitar. // 10

Lyrics: Not unlike the other sections of the band, the vocals are astounding. Like with Pass The Flask, singer James Munoz manages to create an epic within each song. The lyrics of the Flood manage to paint a picture in the listener's mind and make you feel emotion, yet they are obscure in true meaning. Although many of the lyrics are bizarre and obscure, James isn't afraid to incorporate simple lines that nonetheless convey powerful anger ("Now, say it like your life depends on believing in your own lie"). It seems odd, but I find the lyrical style reminiscent of At The Drive-In, with a much darker approach. In terms of actual singing skill, James is above par of almost any hardcore vocalist. His screams are bloodcurdling at times, yet he manages to move with ease from such a state to singing that appears to be in a human's range. His voice fluxuates constantly in style however, which contributes to the constant excitement of the album. I think some of his best moments on the album are the roaring vocals in Hotel Coral Essex, and the a capella break in I Don't Keep With Liars. // 10

Overall Impression: I find Found In The Flood almost indescribable in terms of style. The Bled are incomprable to any other artist. They are undeniably hardcore, but they span so far from the constant D5 chords and relentless bass drums found in most of hardcore, incorporating elements of metal, as well as some slower, arpeggiated melodies. You really have to listen to understand it. I guarantee, you won't be disappointed. I honestly love every song from this album. At first I found the heavier sonds, Guttershark, She Calls Home, and millionaires to be lackluster, but they quickly grew on me. I think that the best tracks are Hotel Coral Essex, My Assassin, Antarctica, and I Don't Keep With Liars Anymore. My favorite moments overall are the guitar solo at the end of My Assassin, the chorus bassline in Daylight Bombings, the brief yet powerful bass solo in Millionaires, and the break in I Don't Keep With Liars. I love almost every moment of the album. The only unsatisfactory element was the 30 minute ending of I Don't Keep With Liars, composed of the same 6 note melody repeating over and over. If I lost Found in the Flood, I would buy it again, even though I have it ripped to my computer. I see it as a landmark in hardcore music - it's nothing short of amazing. // 10

More Bled reviews rating latest review
+ Silent Treatment 8.5 02/15/2008