A Twist In The Myth Review

blind guardian: A Twist In The Myth
Release Date: Sep 5, 2006
Label: Nuclear Blast
Genres: Heavy Metal, Power Metal
It might not represent a big step forward for the band, but it is an extremely good power metal album that is more than worthy of the name Blind Guardian.
 9.4
 8.8
review (1) 15 comments vote for this album:
A Twist In The Myth Reviewed by: power_gamer_6, on may 14, 2007

Sound: Blind Guardian's sound has definitely changed from previous albums, but not for the worst. Their sound is less complex; less overlayed. I guess in a way, A Twist in the Myth would be easier to perform live. It leaves behind all the chorus-heavy parts for a more accessible sound. The classic Blind Guardian feel is definitely still there, though. Right from the start you will notice the difference, but it will be instantly familiar at the same time. There are two tracks on the album, "Fly" and "Dead Sound of Misery" which are the exact same, albeit "Dead Sound of Misery" is a more apocalyptic version of "Fly". Just goes to show you how great Blind Guardian is when they can make two completely different songs from the same melodies. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics seem to match every song perfectly, and they were very well written. Again they stray from the typical cheesy power metal lyrics, which we know and if you're knew to Blind Guardian, will come to know that is not what they're about. The lyrical themes differ, from Ulysses' travels to Hades, so St.Peter's version of Christ, to dreams, to a person with multiple personalities' realization of his other self, and even lyrics inspired by the film "Finding Neverland." Of course, as usual, Hansi's vocals never cease to amaze, and I feel they're more dynamic on this album. Another note, is that while the chorus-heavy parts may have been toned down, they're certainly not entirely absent and well-placed, so to accent the song just that much more. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is definitely comparable to Blind Guardian's older stuff, albeit its sound is different, as I'd mentioned before. I would definitely put this up there with their best stuff, for it's an impressive feat to change your sound and yet stay so true to what a band's established with previous recordings and releases, I mean; everything's still there: the amazing vocals, great guitar melodies, excellent song composition, great lyrics, etc. It's just the sound that's changed and it sounds great. Some of my personal favorite songs are "Another Stranger Me", "This Will Never End" and "Turn The Page". The songs you should definitely check out are "Fly" and "Dead Sound of Misery" for sure, just to see how it is Blind Guardian was able to make two completely different songs out of the same melodies and still have it sound fresh and original, and also "Another Stranger Me", the track they've done a music video for. I can't really say I hate anything about this album, however, it does at certain times leave me longing for the old Blind Guardian sound. I do love the album in its entirety though, new sound and all. If my copy were stolen, I would not hesitate to go out and buy another copy, and while I were at it, I'd buy the digipack version with the bonus CD and bonus track, and the book-version, with the guitar pick, digipack, booklet, Certificate of Authenticity and autographs. And then I'd also go out and buy the "Fly" and "Another Stranger Me" singles. // 10

More Blind Guardian reviews rating latest review