Imaginations From The Other Side Review

blind guardian: Imaginations From The Other Side
Released: May 11, 1999
Genre: Rock
Styles: Heavy Metal, Power Metal
The band's compositional skill reaches its peak on Imaginations, making it their best and most complex work to date.
 9.9
 9.9
 9.8
Imaginations From The Other Side Reviewed by: Martyrion, on december 06, 2004

Sound: The cd features 9 tracks, of which some are was already released on singles before the release of the album. The album is based on tales and stories sung by bards, and some examples is Mordred's Song and Bright Eyes. The style of music is a mix between power metal and melodic metal, and this album is if possible even more melodic than the earlier albums. The album is very well put together, and the mix between the powerful riffs and solos and the wonderful melodic sound gives it a very unique atmosphere. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are like the music - brilliant. The fit very well in, and really shows us how perfect Hansi is for this style of music. At times his voice is loud and powerful (like on "Imaginations From The Other Side" and "Born In A Mourning Hall") and at other times more slow and soothing (especially in "A Past And Future Secret"). // 10

Overall Impression: This album is my all time favourite album made by any band or artist. It was the album that inspired me to start playing guitar, and the one that woke my Blind Guardian dedication. It is in my eyes both the most brilliant album by BG, and the most brilliant album of all time. The song bearing the same name:"Imaginations From The Other Side" is especially brilliant. This album gives me the chills each time, with only 9 songs, this album still beats all I've heard. I buy this album 10 times over if I had to. True Blind Guardian class! // 10

Imaginations From The Other Side Reviewed by: Mastol, on october 09, 2006

Sound: Imaginations From the Other Side is yet another great Blind Guardian album. Blind Guardian shows us once again, that yes, they can write kickass power and speed metal. I don't know why people bitch about the production. It's certainly not great, but it definitely doesn't take away from the music. Solid drumming, bass and rhythm guitar, great lead guitar, and great vocals. On this album, Blind Guardian wrote some of their greatest material ever. The atmospheric and epic but at the same time insane opener Imaginations from the Other Side is amazing, probably my favourite Blind Guardian song of all time. The second track, I'm Alive, could beat the crap out of most songs from the earlier album. This is speed metal! Insane riffing, seemingly neverending double bass attacks, only stopping for the acoustic parts during the intro and pre-chorus part. We also have the insane The Script for My Requiem, which features that dead cool bridge: "Still I hear the scream of thousands, Crucify! Crucify!" Gold stuff. The ballad Mordred's Song, it may be a ballad, but it sure does have riffs, and some pretty heavy parts too. Divine stuff. Born in a Mourning Hall and Another Holy War are both insane speed metal numbers, while Bright Eyes and closing track And The Story Ends are mildly reminiscent of ballads, although they still have pretty damn heavy moments as well. // 9

Lyrics: Yes, the guitars are excellent. Yes, the riffs are headbanging and the solos are spectacular. Yes, the drumming is solid and encourages violent headbanging. Yes, the entire band is really solid and entrenched in their sound. But it's Kursch who really makes this band come alive. In this album he gives a full workout of his pissed-off-in-a-middle-ages-accent vocals, and they sound really amazing. The combination of Krsch's fantastic solo voice and the flawless harmonies and layered singing found on this album make the vocals the really key feature. Everything is solid, and you will love the instruments and all, but the reason these songs are so catchy and all that is Krsch's incredible vocals. // 10

Overall Impression: "Imaginations From The Other Side" is my favorite Blind Guardian's album and one of my favortie metal albums ever! I think that most impressive song here is the open title track, I liked it much, but all the other songs are awesome too! don't get me wrong! This album is a classic that you must have if you are into metal music or wanna get into it. Masterpiece. // 10

More Blind Guardian reviews rating latest review