Soup Review

blind melon: Soup
Released: 1995
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, American Trad Rock
Soup is one of the most underrated and overlooked great rock albums of the '90s.
 8.5
 7.2
 9.7
Soup Reviewed by: DownInAHole., on october 05, 2006

Sound: Blind Melon is the number-one underappreciated band of the 1990s. It is a crime that the Bee Girl from the "No Rain" video is the image most think of when asked about Blind Melon. The truth is, this band was one of the most talented of their generation; nowhere else is this evidenced as well as on Soup, the band's 2nd full length album. The band trades in some jam elements from their debut in favor of concise, well written songs that act as a perfect representation of what this band was capable of. Unfortunately, Shannon Hoon's death left us to only imagine what could have come next. Soup is opened with an offbeat horn and vocal intro that segues into the outstanding "Galaxie". This song is fast paced but with melodies to die for. Another highlight is "Vernie", a touching tribute to Shannon Hoon's grandmother set to a mellow, almost psychadelic musical backdrop. "Toes Across the Floor" is probably my favorite song from Soup, if not my favorite Blind Melon song of all time. Dark, brooding verses explode into a screaming chorus that perfectly represents the hopelessness of Hoon's addictions. "St. Andrew's Fall" is another benchmark in quality and it's probably the most complicated Blind Melon song, consisting of three very distinct sections that stir up many emotions, good and bad. "New Life" is the album's most heart-wrenching song, with Shannon singing the line "when I'm looking into the eyes of our own baby will it bring new life into me?". Shannon was a great person, someone hopelessly addicted. He wanted badly to be a father, but the grip of addiction was too strong and he is missed. "Mouthful of Cavities" is the album's last highlight, the song that sparked my love for the music of Blind Melon with it's acoustic guitar and vocal interplay between Shannon and a girl named Jena Kraus. // 7

Lyrics: Hoon's lyrics were dark, complex, heart felt and sung with such passion there was no way Blind Melon would have attempted to replace him, which his why they went their seperate ways. Not that Hoon is a martyr or hero by any means, he was just a guy that was extremely good at what he did and the fire that drove him to think and feel as he did was the same that forced it to go out so quickly. Hoon's lyrics and voice can be compared with some of rock and rolls greatest as well. He deep and thoughtful poetic verses remind me somewhat of Jim Morrison, and his voice crys out in the same way as Robert Plant. // 8

Overall Impression: In truth, I could rave about every song contained within this disc; there is no filler and every song is well written and well performed. Sometimes when listening to Soup I shudder when I think of what Blind Melon could have accomplished. To the few Blind Melon die-hards, this album is a classic. To those who know of Blind Melon only through the "No Rain" video, there is much more to this band. This is a classic album of the 1990s and should be in every self respecting alternative/rock fans collection. // 8

Soup Reviewed by: rob_acoustic, on february 24, 2005

Sound: The sound of this album is well done. Acoustic guitars to blazing riffs and chords. The album was the followup to the multiplatium debut "Blind Melon" in 1993. It failed in album sales and Rolling Stone blasted the album with bad reviews. Simple chords are used throughout the record. It is a nice college/relaxed sound and Shannon Hoon's voice is beautiful. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are good in some areas and bad in others. For the most part they are good. The song titles throw you off guard and you're not sure what this song is supposed to mean. The writing wasn't all that deep with the exception of "Mouthful of Cavities." "Walk" is a great one too. The lyrics do justice but could've been better. The Singer's voice is always amazing no matter what he sings. Blind Melon always credited lyrics to the whole band. Something I didn't like. // 6

Overall Impression: I like this album because it is a consistent album of that time period. 1995 was a year that it was touigh to overshadow Kurt Cobain's suicide. It was a tough year to tour with several acts coming up like Bush and Green Day. The album is weak compared to other albums in this 2 year area. (1994/1995) Shannon Hoon's overdose of cocaine a half year after the albums release really put the nail in the coffin with this band's short life. The "Classic" record released in 2002 has 5 songs from the this album. The Classic record has 12 tracks. Half of the tracks are from "Soup". I do not own this record but have listened to it from the Classic version and from around and around. It isn't a great album to own unless you're a diehard fan. Me, myself happens to be a casual fan. // 6

More Blind Melon reviews rating latest review