Buddha Review

artist: blink 182 date: 08/13/2007 category: compact discs
blink 182: Buddha
Released: 1994
Genre: Rock
Tones: Ironic, Quirky, Manic, Rambunctious, Humorous, Raucous, Energetic, Irreverent
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Punk Revival, Post-Grunge, Punk-Pop
 Lyrics: 7.3
 8.2
 8.4
Buddha Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 09, 2004

Sound: I have to admit that the sound quality is garbage. But what they lose in sound quality they make up for in music quality. It has a real pop-punk sound to it. All three instruments have there own little solos and lines. It is really a pleasure to listen to. I have had it for over a year now and still listen to it frequently. Amazing CD, although I can only give it a 4 because of the sound quaility. // 8

Lyrics: Same as Blink is now. Most of the songs are about girls. But there are a few that arn't like T.V. and My Pet Sally, both of which are hilarious. I think their lyrics on Buddha are more in depth than on their later albums though. Probably because they were still in high school at the time and put alot of their feelings into their songs. The singing is decent, same as blink is now. The best singing though is Mark's vocal solo on T.V. "La la la la lala la la la lala la la la la lala la la la" // 8

Overall Impression: Being Blink's first album you can't expect it to sound as good as Dude Ranch or Enema but it is still awesome. The best songs are: Carousel, Fentlozer, My Pet Sally, and Toast and Bananas. It is defintly worth buying especailly if you love Blink's earlier stuff or just love pop-punk. // 10

Buddha Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 06, 2004

Sound: Fairly energetic pop-punk. This is one of the bands demo tapes recorded at one of the band members houses which is why the sound quality is poor, but after a few listens you wont notice the poor recording quality. These songs are all unique to eachother, and these songs have alot of nice catchy, popy melodies in them. I believe that all of these attributes are something that blink 182 currently lacks. Other than some nice melodies the songs aren't incredibly great high quality music, and unless your customed to bad music it will take a few listens through to make these songs good. // 8

Lyrics: Most of the songs are about girls, or are filled with potty jokes or something. Luckily it dosen't come off as annoying emo-ish teen angst, and a few of the songs even have topics that people of all ages could relate to (but still wouldn't be able to listen to, I wouldn't subject my mother to listen to music this bad). The singing isn't great, and it seems like neither tom or mark have any experience or knowledge in singing. Pretty much anybody could sing along with it, and alot of people can sing better than it. That added with the fact that the songs are easy to play on their instruments makes covering these songs with you band easy. So, pretty much, average singing, with some lows. And average songwriting with a couple of highs. // 6

Overall Impression: This comes in decent packaging, although the little circle in the jewel case that holds the cd in was crushed on mine. But I believe that the publisher of this album is a small company, so that explains the lower plastic quality. Blink 182 is one of those bands that starts out better than it ends, and starts with more origonality. If you are deciding to buy either this album or cheshire cat, I'd get this one. // 8

Buddha Reviewed by: Stupid_Fox, on march 26, 2005

Sound: Ahh, blink's first true album. What can say, this is how I wish Blink 182 stayed instead of getting all poppy like they are now. The copy I own is a re-released version that was made in 1998, so I think the sound is excellent quality for a demo. This is what true punk music is, folks. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are actually pretty well thought out for a few teenage punks. Sure, most of the songs are about girls, but thats what lots of kids are into these days. The fun-loving, hilarious aspect of blink is also evident in this release, with such songs as My Pet Sally and TV. Although Mark (bassist and singer) and Tom's (guitarist and singer) singing isn't the greatest in the world, they really do have unique voices that make me want to listen to their songs over and over again. // 8

Overall Impression: On the whole I'd have to say that this is an awesome debut album for Blink, and that this is what true punk is all about. I only wish that Blink ahd stayed with this type of music instead of getting all pop. One thing I like about this album is that every song is likable and of equal quality and greatness. The best songs are TV, Strings, My Pet Sally and Time. If this album were stolen I'd try and get it back using any means necessary. // 10

Buddha Reviewed by: Blinker182182, on august 13, 2007

Sound: As soon as you hear the first song you can tell that the sound quality isn't to great. And some songs keeping getting worse. Since it was originally a demo and blink had a lack of equipment (or aleast good equipment back then it is under standable) back then, it is understandable. The more and more you listen to the songs the less crappy some of the song seem. Most Blink fans wouldn't be too disapointed by the sound quality. The goods thing about the sound quality is that it is really easy to play along to since their lack of equipment. The way they play is pretty much the same as they did for chesire cat and dude ranch (Enama of the state is where I noticed a change). If you can get past the odd squiky noises then the sound is pretty good. // 6

Lyrics: Their lyrics are odd and funny like they usually are and the way they are sung goes along with the music they play. You can tell why they were a little imbaresed to sell this album because their singing isn't the best. It can be a bit pitchy and can be either too oud or not loud enough. But once again, considering the situation they did pretty good. // 7

Overall Impression: This album is classic Blink 182. Sound quality and the singing moght not be as great as Blink's other albums but none the less, Blink fans will not be dissapointed by buuying this album. Shoulnd't be too hard to find either, I see it everywhere. For some reason I really liked the song "The Girl Next Door". It was simple but great. This album has a few song that were later redone on Chesire Cat. I would recommend this album to all Blink fans. Others may enjoy it. // 7

More Blink 182 reviews rating latest review