Cheshire Cat Review

artist: blink 182 date: 12/04/2009 category: compact discs
blink 182: Cheshire Cat
Released: 1994
Genre: Rock
Tones: Ironic, Silly, Manic, Gleeful, Rambunctious, Humorous, Raucous, Energetic, Irreverent
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Punk Revival, Post-Grunge, Punk-Pop
 Lyrics: 7.5
 8.3
 8.6
Cheshire Cat Reviewed by: ZuluWarrior182, on august 16, 2004

Sound: I love the Chersire Cat ablum. I think it is one of their best ablums and is defiently more punk than their other ones. The sound quality isn't that great but much better than Buddha but hey it's their first record. There a lot of great guitar riffs and bass riffs in this ablum like Mark's bass in Carousel and Tom's awesome guitar intro in M&Ms. I give it a 4 because of sound quality. // 8

Lyrics: While most of the lyrics on this ablum are just about girls, they are still very good and also humorous. Like Ben Wah Balls, a song about a man who doesn't know he is dating his daughter. Some people may think it's crappy but I think its pretty clever and creative. Another great song, lyrically, is Peggy Sue. Talking about how as a teenager your rights are limited by your parents, and the band is able to write this song in an orginial and humorus way. Tom and Mark are still learning to sing, but their terrible voices dont bother me. It gives the ablum its charm. // 8

Overall Impression: I think chersire cat is an awesome ablum and it does compare to some ablums today. It kicks Sugarcults new ablum's ass. Every song on this ablum is excellent and doesnt sound like the other. My favorites are Carousel, M&Ms, Ben Wah Balls, Toast and Banannas, Wasting Time, and Peggy Sue. The thing I lvoe about Chersire cat is that it is orginial. You will never find an ablum that sounds like it. And that it is humorous (depends.) Of course someone would try and steal this ablum. It's very good. I would kick thier ass if they stole or buy a new one. // 10

Cheshire Cat Reviewed by: CarouselAdam, on august 28, 2007

Sound: This could be Blink 182's best album. I love it. It has a diverse collection of songs, everything from upbeat arena tunes to melancholy bass masterpieces. Tom Delonge features his best guitar playing on this album, catchy, fitting riffs fill every track, not to mention a solo or two. Scott Raynor, Blink's first drummer, exhibits extremely skillful drumming in my opinion. While he uses the same snare, cymbal, bass combination a lot, he features quite a few innovative openings throughout the album. Mark Hoppus's bass playing is also above par (when you can hear it.) At the very beginning of the album he has the second intro to Carousel, a solo in Peggy Sue, and a few others. His solos and fills are very fitting and entertaining. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are probably Blink's best. They are extremely catchy and meaningful, and yet, not very difficult to understand. Something to also understand is, they're not all about music, they also feature quite a bit of comedy (about 35% of the album) in songs, and the skits between them. It's quite entertaining, actually. The lyrics in this always fit the songs instrumental feel. Not to mention the variety of lyrics used, everything from working on your own, to sodomy with a dog. Mark's vocals are also decent. Not to mention he uses various voices, from a soft murmuring, to a gruff yelling. Tom's singing can be tolerated at times, others it's a bit below par. It doesn't seem to bring the album down too much however. // 9

Overall Impression: This is one of my all-time favorite albums. It makes me feel on top of the world. The best songs on the album are Carousel, M&M's, Peggy Sue, Sometimes, Cacophony, Toast And Bananas, Wasting Time, Romeo And Rebecca, and Ben Wah Balls. Yes, all of those deserved mention, and it was extremely difficult to pick them. The whole album is pretty much a masterpiece. I just love everything about this album, from the lyrics, to Mark's vocals, the instrumentals, the diversity; the only thing I'm neutral about are Tom's vocals. But you learn to tolerate them. If it was stolen, I'd buy two and lock one in a safe. It's incredible. // 10

Cheshire Cat Reviewed by: FlapJack85, on august 12, 2009

Sound: Please bear with me through the critisism. This was blink's first "real" album so I understand the lack of expiriance but after a while it get's kind of rediculious. Belive me when I say I'm a huge blink fan. I have all of their albums(including their live one) but I have to say this is their worst. I can see why people like it though. A few of the songs are cetchy and sometimes almost epic sounding. But, only a few. Tom's guitar riffs are one of the "up's" to this album. This one was the final blink CD I bought and untill Blink-182, I always thought he sucked. But here he shows he can play very well. Even giving off some solos! Mark has always been a decent bass player, not the best but still pretty good. Scott is a horrible drummer. He has two beats and only three fills that he can do. I am glad Mark and Tom found Travis because I can only stad Scott's drumming for so long. Anyone who says he was right for blink-182 because he is more of a "punk" drummer is stupid. Sorry but, I wasn't aware being horrible made you a punk drummer. 01.Carousel: a pretty good song but I like the Buddha intro better when it was just Mark's solo. I do like Tom's vocals on here. And I like what this song is about. One of the bests. 02.M&M's: an okay song. Tom's shows he can play guitar very well here in the intro. And the lyrics are funny. If you listen to it too much though, it get's really annoying. 03.Fentoozler: my second favorate song on the album. At the begining, Scott had a catchy beat going along with the guitar but then went back to his main beat where he just hits the snare every beat really fast. Great lyrics and it even has a guitar solo! One in my top! 04.Touchdown Boy: remember we talked about the lack of expiriance? Well it starts showing here. The guitars don't match the lyrics and the lyrics are ones they wrote down in two seconds, you can tell because they just repeat most of them. Not a good one at all. 05.Strings: the lyrics are good and mean something important but again they were too lazy to think of anything else and make the song good. The music for it sucks. Another bad one. 06.Peggy Sue: I was so glad to here a good song after those last two. Even though the live version is better, this version is still really good. I love the bass solo but I like Travis' beat on the live album better. Still this is my third favorate on the album. 07.Sometimes: and we're back to the songs that are about 60 seconds long and only 0 seconds of them are worth listening to. Too fast and the lyrics suck. 08.Does My Breath Smell?: I like Tom's little poem at the begining. It always makes me laugh but, then I relized this song was like most of the other songs on here. Bad. 08.Cacophony: another one that sucks. Stupid and it doesn't make much of the album. Not even worth it. 09.TV: this is one of those songs where the lyrics were ment to be silly but some turn out to be smart. "I'm tought how to think on the evening news" Thats pretty true and very clever of make. The lalala's Mark sings are also sort of funny. The bass solo in the begining is good but then the music starts to suck so this turns out to be an ear sore. 10.Toast & Bannanas: my forth favorate off this album. It's a very well thought out song and you can tell that they really tried here. I will give Scott kudos on the fills here because it's the only talent he ever shows in this career. Great lyrics and a good tune. My pants are off right now. 11.Waisting Time: this is the best song off the album because everything Mark says here, I can relate to. This song is so amazing and it makes this album worth buying. If you are ever scared to ask a girl out and you have very strong feelings for her, this will become your anthem. I love this song!! Great lyrics and a great tune!! 12.Romeo & Rebecca: I don't really like this song. It's alright but not my tipe of tune. 13.Ben Wah Bals: this song shows that Scott thought he was just as funny as Mark and Tom and really he's just a total douche bag. I cannot stand the intro when he starts trying to be funny. Tom is but Scott? No. The song though is pretty decent but the beat is a little too fast and sloppy. But it gets better and is worth listening too. My 5th favorate. 14.Just About Done: again Scott thinks he's good and funny and isn't. And again Mark and Tom are just fooling around. pretty funny but a little too stupid. 15.Depends: wow! What a cloaser! Haha. Very funny! But Scott is not funny at the end. I just hate how he trys to be funny because he's really not. // 6

Lyrics: Let's face it, Tom and Mark can't sing. Even though, I do enjoy their voices for some reason. It was a horrible recording studio so their voices are fuzzed sometimes. As far as lyrics, some are good some are bad some are silly. It's blink and you take what you get. It get's annoying after a bit though. // 6

Overall Impression: This is Blink's worst album. Like I said, It's too immature for an official album. The skits in between songs are compleatly unessacery. Save for the live CD. Good songs are, Carousel, Ben Wah Balls and Toast & Bannanas. GREAT songs are Peggy Sue, Fentoozler and Waisting Time. If you are a hardcore blink fan, like me, get this album. If you just like blink or are just getting into them, buy a greatest hits or Enema of the State. Over all, a terrible album with only a few good songs. I was very disapointed. // 4

Cheshire Cat Reviewed by: DeathcabforARL, on december 04, 2009

Sound: I became a fan of Blink-182 just prior to their break-up in 2005. From then until their reunion this year, I backtracked through their discography and always found a great sound in each album that managed to change up from one album to another. Cheshire Cat shows off the band's punk roots and their instrumental talents that you won't find on Enema Of The State, TOYPAJ, or the self-titled album. Tom DeLonge shows off his great guitar skills throughout the album, and even busts out a couple of solos. After listening to this album, I decided I would never make fun of Tom again for being a crappy guitarist. Mark Hoppus shows off some amazing basslines in this album. Although he's no Travis Barker, Scott Raynor played some pretty fast and amazing drums in this album. Even if does get repetitive, it's still goes great with the fast paced music from the album. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty immature even when measured in Blink-182 standards. Besides Strings, TV, Wasting Time, M+M's, Fentoozler, Cacophony, Romeo And Rebecca, and Toast And Bananas, the songs don't really have any meaning. However, they're pretty clever and funny for the most part. I had never laughed at a song so hard before I heard Depends. As for the singing... Well, it's the same as with Blink-182's other albums: Mark sings pretty well and Tom... Not so much. // 7

Overall Impression: Soundwise, you can't really compare this album to the bands other releases. It has a unique sound combining fast guitar riffs and drums along with funny lyrics. What I like most about the album is that this is Blink-182's true sound. It's not the the catchy 3 chord songs that everyone knows like All The Small Things and I Miss You, it's the opening guuitar riff in M+M's, the bassline from Carousel that Blink fans still enjoy to this day, and the joke songs that went on to inspire the band's other joke songs. Stand out's from the album are Carousel, M+M's, Fentoozler, Touchdown Boy, Peggy Sue, Cacophony, Toast And Bananas, TV, Wasting Time, Romeo And Rebecca and Depends. This album may not be the greatest thing ever on the first listen, but after a few, you'll be singing along to the album more on-key than Tom ever did. No offense, Tom. lol // 10

More Blink 182 reviews rating latest review