Dude Ranch Review

artist: blink 182 date: 12/17/2007 category: compact discs
blink 182: Dude Ranch
Released: Jun 17, 1997
Genre: Rock
Tones: Silly, Quirky, Gleeful, Rambunctious, Humorous, Raucous, Energetic, Irreverent
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Punk Revival, Post-Grunge, Punk-Pop
 8.8
 9.2
Dude Ranch Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 01, 2004

Sound: For a guitarist, you'll probably notice that Blinks tone is fatter in this album because Tom used Gibsons for the first (and last) time in this album. He said latter that he preferres the Fender sound and I think most people aggreed with him. The bass tone is strait forward Fender P-Bass, with some nice fills in "Voyeur" and "Josie". The drums are monotone and out of place (in my opinion). Scott was a huge metal fan and you can tell by the way he mercilessly pounds the bass and snare. I think most people agree his lack of depth held back the band for a long time. Another think worth mentioning is that very few studio effects were used in this album (Blink only had a couple weeks to record it). In there subsequent albums there are tons of keyboards and overdubbs. In comparison this album sounds very raw. // 6

Lyrics: Classic blink. Popular topics include being raped by a farmer, kicked out of school for being drunk, and "lacking in the bulge". Short skits in between songs are funny and bizarre. Certain songs, however, foreshadow the darker songs that are now prevailent with Blink. "Emo" and "Lemmings" are good examples. Tom's vocals aren't synthed at all and it shows in songs like "Dick Lips", but Marks are steady in the whole album. // 6

Overall Impression: This is a must have for blink fans even if its not the most quality album. It's total punk pop and full of catchy tunes. Song 3 "Dammit" will forever go down in history as possibly the best and catchiest Blink song ever. While you may have loved blink before they made it, no one can deny that a quality studio, custom guitars, and amazing drummer sexed up the band quite a bit. It doesn't have the flare of enema of the state but something blink fans should have nonetheless. // 8

Dude Ranch Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 13, 2003

Sound: In my opinion this is the most "punk" Blink 182 has ever been. I know some might disagree and say Cheshire Cat was more "punk" but a lot of the songs just sucked. This is my personal favotite. The hooks are exellent the palm muted chords are very apparent as in just about all blink records. As is the usual sound. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are as immature as ever,which is a good thing. I tend to like the songs that Mark Hoppus sings better because they seem to have a certain melody to them.The lyrics,in my opinion are the best on any album. // 8

Overall Impression: If you want to hear old school/pre pop-punk blink then BUY THIS!Actually buy it if you don't even like them. In closing I would also like to mention their new album comes out November 18, so go buy that too. Peace. // 10

Dude Ranch Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 01, 2004

Sound: The album in it's entirity is really awsome. Blink's best cd by far, it's when they still embraced there pop-punk sound and all of the song's have catchy riffs, the only reason I gave it a 4 was because the drums could be louder but they are still pretty goood. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics on this cd are really good. Some are serious, others are not; but they for the most part really catchy. Tom and Mark's voices really go well together, they harmony part on the song "Emo" is pretty rad. And the kid who said check out Slipknot or Korn is a dumbass f--k both of those shitty ass band. // 10

Overall Impression: Blink 182 after this album went down hill. Enema Of The State was ok, but the two most recent albums aren't really punk like the old sound. Take of your pants and jacket still had some punk influence in it but for the most part it wasn't traditional Blink and the new cd is not punk at all. Before Blink 182 progressed their sound they toured with the likes of Pennywise, Nofx, and alot of the "skate-punk" sound bands. And you can hear why on Dude Ranch. // 10

Dude Ranch Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 05, 2004

Sound: It's fast, it's loud. It just lacks the solos. I don't expect a band like Blink 182 to bust out the crazy cool guitar solos. I just wished that they showed more of their talent. Tom Delonge isn't that great of a guitarist, but he does a good job of making catchy riffs. Tom's vocals are his best in this album. Mark is a pretty good bassist, and has the best voice in the band. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are mostly about girls. So if you're more into angry lyrics about suicide, or fighting. Then maybe you should check out Slipknot or KoRn (cool bands). These lyrics from Blink-182 are well written, some of the best written lyrics that I've heard. They go well with the sound and the pace of the songs. Although I relate with angry lyrics from KoRn, I can also find a bunch of things that I relate to with these lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: This is my favorite Blink 182 album. I like all the songs on this CD equally. Dammit stands out the most, because it was their most popular. I've always liked Blink-182 because they're able to have so much fun making music. Many people don't appreciate how they goof around too much, but I think it's great. They're more like artists/comedians. Okay, not exactly. But this CD brings back many memories, just like all the others. The new self-titled album, can't even compare to this one. // 10

Dude Ranch Reviewed by: starbomb13, on september 03, 2004

Sound: This is the classic earlier sounds of Blink 182, with songs that are not really that serious, especially when you look at the album booklet. They've got that catchy pop-punk sound with the nice little gutiar riffs, with matching bass, and a fast pace drum beat. Listening to it - they don't really have complicated music to play-but their pretty simple music is really catchy and contagious. // 10

Lyrics: Again can we ever take Blink 182 that seriously, especially with their lyrics and actions? Lyrics don't really have some complicated message behind them-but they make their point, and that's all that matters. As for the singing well obviously they aren't exactly a threat to Mariah Carey or Celine Dion (I know those are sad examples), but they have their style and it works for them. Though I kinda like Tom's voice better than Mark's, but they're both pretty decent, nonetheless. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a great album for Blink 182 fans, and it probably got some new fans too. I'm telling you-it's f--kin' contagious, you just can't help liking it. I love that blink seems to have a great sense of humor they don't take things so seriously, and it reflexes on their albums. If it were stolen or lost I'm hunt down the stealer or search the damn city for it, ot maybe I'll just buy another copy of the album. // 10

Dude Ranch Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 29, 2004

Sound: Awesome. Amazing. Theres so many words you could use to describe "Dude Ranch" and I'll admit, as a long time Blink-182 fan, this is definitly the best yet. The new CD (untitled) is good, and its a complete turn-around, but "Dude Ranch" is by far the best yet. Tom recorded the entire album with Gibson guitars, and that sound really stands out. I love the sound of this album. // 10

Lyrics: "She didn't mean to decieve you, believe me, but sometimes the hardest part is concieving." Mark said the "Apple Shampoo" was some of the best writing he ever did in any song lyrically. Blink used great lyrics that went with the music well, and they've always been able to do that on all of their albums, whether its about a girl leaving, to sitting in space not wanting to come back, to having sex with a dog or family member, Mark and Tom have always had the talent. // 10

Overall Impression: First of all, a big thanks goes out to former drummer Scott Raynor for quitting the band. Who knows had Scott stayed and brought everything down, Blink may not even be around today. There is no comparison to this album. It's amazing, and blink's best to date. Songs that stand out and are favorites of mine are "Josie", "Dammit", and "Lemmings." Theres nothing to hate on this album. But I'm glad that Tom's voice has improved, and doesn't sound so whiney anymore. // 10

Dude Ranch Reviewed by: Uncommonresults, on december 02, 2004

Sound: The sound on this CD wasn't to impressive, it's as if Tom doesn't know how to sing or he's really just 13 or 14 and tries to sound older, but Marks has always been good at singing. Both are good at their instruments even as they start out on this CD. Though Scott didn't sound good on this CD. It's as if he only knows one drum riff, and that's to pound on the bass drum and to hit the snare as hard as he can and just do that. It's so off, it makes the song sound bad. But not too bad, with the sound of other instruments the sound is still pretty good. If Travis was on this CD instead this CD instead and Tom knew how to sing back then, then this CD might as well be the best there is. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics on the other hand to the sound are excellent. Though Apple Shampoo wasn't all that famous, I'd say it's the best on the CD. Sure Dammit and Josie have decent lyrics, but they're repetitive. Apple Shampoo unlike most songs really has no chorus, and doesn't repeat. My favorite part of the song would be "I never wanted to hold you back I just wanted to hold on But my chance is gone I know / just where / I stand / a boy Trapped in the body of a man and I'll take what you're willing to give And I'll teach myself to live With a walk-on part of a background shot From a movie I'm not in" The ending of the song yes but the best of it. Other songs like Untitled or Dammit also have very good lyrics telling stories in each song. // 10

Overall Impression: This CD may not be the first, and it's not the most recent, but I'd say it's one of their best. It doesn't have the drum talent of Travis, and it doesn't have Tom's singing talent yet. But I still like it anyways. The best songs on the CD would have to be Dammit, Apple Shampoo, Untitled, A New Hope, and last but definatley not least Josie. Definatley if it were lost or stolen I'd buy it again or just re burn it since it's saved to my hard-drive. Whichever I prefer. So those of you who are Blink fans this is an album for you. Go by it if you don't have it. // 8

Dude Ranch Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 23, 2005

Sound: The sound, as usual with Blink, is great. Tom used Gibson guitars in this album and you can really hear the difference in the tone to the Fenders. Mark's bass lines are very fitting and seem to make the whole album work, it may be simple but its so easy to get into and it just sounds right. Scott's drums are not as good as they could be, it's pretty well just bass and snare on all the songs and some occaisonal thrashing on the cymbals. There are only onw or two effects used on the guitar but it still sounds cool and the semi-accoustic part of the intro in Dicklips sounds really cool. The sound is just traditional Blink pop-punk and its great. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in thiscd have definately matured since chesire cat, songs like Emo and Lemmings deal with some complex issues and hint towards some of thesongs on Take Off Your Panst and Jacket and Blink 182. The best lyrics on the album are on Apple Shampoo, Waggy, Emo and Lemmings. Mark sings all these songs and he has the better vocal skills on this record, Tom's songs just doesn't seem to flow as well as Mark's but they are still good. Some great examples are 'I know just where I stand\A boy trapped in the body of a man' from Apple Shampoo and 'Open Your eyes you can suck in your pride\You can live your life all on your own' from Waggy. // 10

Overall Impression: The best songs on this album are Apple Shampoo, A New Hope, Dammit, Waggy, Lemmings and Josie. I love how all the songs are so catchy and easy to get into, they are all easy to relate to and eal with issues that most teenagers deal with. If someone stole this CD I would be real pissed but I'd let em keep it and discover what a great album it is and buy a new one straight away. // 10

Dude Ranch Reviewed by: chillie pepper, on july 10, 2006

Sound: Dude Ranch is typical Blink's sound of the time this CD was released, simple and catchy as hell. The riffs at the start of songs such as Dammit and Pathetic. Some of the songs from Dude Ranch also have what could be called a solo. Although simple and nothing compared to solos the great guitarists would produce, they are still great and just add to the catchy feel to the album and are guarenteed to stay in your head. Nearly all the songs from Dude Ranch are based around power-chords, giving the songs that typical puncy, "pop-punk" feel. The slow, palm muted chords at the start of Untitled burst into a fast, punky explosion, before returning to the slow chords, and back to the fast riff again, creating one of the best songs off the album. With very few of the songs exceeding 3 minutes, this is quite a short album, with most of its songs having a fast and exciting pace. Over all, I would say this album deserves an 8 for sound. However, there is annoying, yet quit funny, skits at the end of some songs. These are funny at first, but extreamly irratating after a few listens. // 7

Lyrics: This is where Blink 182 shine on all their albums, on this one inparticular. The lyrics on Dude Ranch show signs of Blink starting to mature although the immature, fun-loving side is still alive and kicking. most of the songs on Dude Ranch are about splitting up with girlfriends/partners. This is most clear on songs like Pathetic, Dammit, Untitled and I'm Sorry. Most of the songs take this "topic" from different angles or viewpoints. However, there is much more to this album (lyrically) than just break ups. There is songs about fantasizing over Princess Leia (New Hope), falling out with parents and being bored (Dick Lips), the joys of having a girlfriend (Josie), perving on your neighbour (Voyeur) and generally being a public nusance (Degenerate). // 10

Overall Impression: This is without a doubt my favourite Blink 182 album, and my second favourite album of all (just beaten by Rocket to russia by Ramones). This album shows a great band who were begining to find themselves musically and have reached a peak lyrically. Its highlights are definately Pathetic, Apple Shampoo and Dammit. Although earlier albums cheshire Cat and later albums Enema Of the State and Take Off your pants And Jacket are still brilliant in their own way, I personally prefer Dude Ranch because of its lyrical content. Being in a pop punk (not emo) band myself, I find this album some-what insperational. If only modern pop punk was this good. // 9

Dude Ranch Reviewed by: sportsguy314, on august 25, 2006

Sound: As Blink 182's first album on a major label, the sound is not bad. The album includes one of the catchiest riffs ever in "Dammit" and also a great instrumental solo in "Enthused." Guitarist Tom Delonge uses both a Fender Strat and a Gibson guitar in this albumn while Bassist Mark Hoppus sticks with the Fender P-Bass. This albums seems rawer then later Blink albums, and this may be due to the small amount of time spent in the studio. Overall, there are too many power chords used, but the band manages to mix them into catchy riffs. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics in the albums should be considered immature, but so should all of the other Blink albums. You could also say that Blink 182 just love to joke around, and I tend to agree as many of there lyrical subject are comical. This is shown when the Mark sings about his love of Princess Leia, and how me missed her beacuse he was at the Mos Eisley Cantina. As in other albums, Blink 182 sing about their life experiences in songs such as "Apple Shampoo" and "Untitled." Overall, the lyrics are comical, but something that many can realte to. // 7

Overall Impression: As noted above, this album is rawer than other albums. It lacks the studio finish of future Blink albums. The most impressive songs would have to be the catchy "Dammit" and the description of an ideal girlfriend in "Josie." I love the raw, punk elements of the albums that later Blink albums lack, but I hate endless immaturity that the album posseses. This albums would be worth buying again, as it is a great listen. // 8

Dude Ranch Reviewed by: Ibeatonthebrat, on december 17, 2007

Sound: Amazing. This is the album that got me hooked on them. There was really no other band like them. They did kind of their own thing, following the whole "funny punk" idea. They come across like a definite party band. You can tell they like to have fun. The sound is just fast, fun, punk. Don't think there was a story in the album, but definitely in some songs alone they do get a little more involved. They all sound kind of the same, with the drum pattern and guitar thrashing, but it's all good. I never tire of blasting it out the window and just having a good time to it. Isn't that what it's all about? // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are great. To me, they closely follow the Ramones with funny, clever, witty lyrics. Just stuff that when you first hear it, you go, "What did he just say?" Some of them are heartfelt I guess, like Pathetic, Josie, and I'm Sorry, and others are just plain funny like Voyeur, and Degenerate. I wouldn't really know how to describe the singer's voices. They're not the best, but on songs like Pathetic or Dammit, it's just, "Who cares?" Pretty much for all the songs it's like that. But, if I had to put it on any level, it's much more preferable than Ashlee Simpson or whatever. I'm sure we could all with that. // 10

Overall Impression: Love it. Simply love it. Now one of my favorite bands. Great songs with memorable tunes. It has it's hits like Dammit, Josie, and Apple Shampoo, but there are better songs. Personally, Degenerate is my favorite. It's a well put together song with great lyrics. Wicked funny. Pathetic is also another great song. They're all good basically. If the CD were stolen, I'd beat the shit out of whoever stole it. Same with everything else, but if it were lost, well shit. That's my fault. Scrape my pennies together and buy it again. I bought the CD looking for some fun music. In fact, I had never listened to Blink-182 before. I just picked it up, and looked at the back and cracked up. They're posing in sombreros and guns and it's just plain funny. Also, when I saw the title "Dick Lips," I immediately thought, "Shit, this has to be good." They say first impressions are usually wrong, but in my case, I was right. // 10

More Blink 182 reviews rating latest review