Enema Of The State Review

blink 182: Enema Of The State
Released: Jun 1, 1999
Genre: Pop-Punk
Label: MCA
"Enema Of The State" is the third studio album by American pop punk band Blink-182.
 Lyrics: 8.6
 8.7
 8.5
 8.9
Enema Of The State Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 03, 2004

Sound: I got this cd because I heard these people talking about how good Blink 182 was. When I got it I was majorly dissapointed. First of all, the guitarist is not very good, the singing is poor, and the songs are bad, making it impossible for the whole thing to sound good. Blink 182 is punk rock, which might be why I dislike them so much. They seem a lot like Sum 41. // 4

Lyrics: I couldn't understand a lot of the lyrics because the singer was horrible. I mean horrible. I could be their singer! And I suck at singing! I looked up the lyrics in the booklet thing that came with the cd, and I found the lyrics were very immature and pointless. I mean "remember the time that I spilled the cup, of apple juice in the hall please tell mom this is not her fault". I mean the what the heck does that have to do with the song? // 2

Overall Impression: I'm not going to say they are the worst band ever, because that would be an opinion and I found that most people dont think that, but I think they are the worst band ever. The drummer was talented but hey, thats just the drummer. The drums don't make the songs any better. Sure it's good to have a good drummer, but still. I guess I would highly reccomend this cd if you like Sum 41. I found both bands equally suck and are the same style of music. If this album were stolen, I don't know. I wouldn't really care. // 4

Enema Of The State Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 22, 2005

Sound: Ah, Blink 182, you never cease to change my mind about your music. To be honest, I hated everything that you did, aside from "M+Ms". When I borrowed this album from a friend, I really didn't think that Blink had gotten as good as they have here, with their CD, Enema of the State. The actual reason I bought this was that I heard "Adam's Song" and I wanted to learn it. The sound of the CD is pretty good, and although Tom isn't the greatest guitarist, and Mark is afraid to rock out on bass, the sound is fairly alright. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics were pretty good. Although these lyrics aren't Bob Dylan worthy, they reflect themselves well. Aliens Exist probably has the best lyrics, because they actually make sense with the song. The only other song by Blink that says what they're trying to say directly is Fuck a Dog. // 8

Overall Impression: This, is my 2nd favorite Blink album, and although Enema Strikes Back (which I got for 3$) is my favorite, this is a good CD. I won't marvel in its glory, because it's not that good, but I won't burn it and piss on its remains, which I have done to my sister's Britney Spears CD. The songs are: 01. Dumpweed (7/10) 02. Don't Leave Me (6/10) 03. Aliens Exist (9/10) (The live version is better) 04. Going Away To College (7/10) 05. What's My Age Again (9/10-all those haters who say tom sucks, try playing this) 06. Dysentary Gary (7/10) 07. Adam's Song (10/10) 08. All The Small Things (9/10) 09. Party Song (8/10) 10. Mutt (5/10) 11. Wendy Clear (7/10) 12. Anthem (9/10) Total, thats a 93/120. Good Job, but burn a copy of the Enema Strikes Back from your friend. // 8

Enema Of The State Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 26, 2009

Sound: Blink-182 is selfish. They make music that they enjoy and that is certainly to be appricated when you listen to them ("Family Reunion" is a clear indicator of that). Fine, so they are no Rush. There. I said it. However, that being said, they are able to create an atmosphere be fitting of their attitude (off beat and sharp tongued) with out having such technical prowess. In that same vien, it is arguable that most tracks on the record are simply two-minute, three-chord pop-punk songs. I won't debate that with you. But, then again, it's Blink-182. Were you really expecting a 20 minute epic? // 7

Lyrics: "Enema" is one of those records that you can merely look at its title and instantly know what it has in store. The lyrics of Blink-182 have never really been high concept (unless you consider South Park high concept) but they can always leave you with an amused, if not slightly disturbed, grin on your face. The vocals of bassist Mark Hoppus and guitarist Tom Deloung are alternated throughout the album (sometimes mid-song), with neither ever really singing spectacularlly but always addiquitly. // 8

Overall Impression: "Enema", marking in at only a little over half an hour, is an enjoyable, but fast, ride. There is some filler but even that seems to fit the theme of the rest of the record to give it its over-all youthful feeling. This is illustrated, however, not only by its caffinated energy but also the stand-out slow track "Adam's Song", which deals with depression and suicide. "Enema" is not likely to have a lasting impact on the listener, but it does have a wonderfully juvinille spirit that feels like reliving one's teenage years (only with more wit and slightly less profanity). // 8

Enema Of The State Reviewed by: FlapJack85, on july 01, 2009

Sound: I bought this album because of "Aliens Exist." My friend showed a video of it to me and really got me into blink-182. I love the potty humor they have and I love Blink! This album is one of those where every song is fun to listen to. Some are better then others but they are all pretty good. Tom is an okay guitarist, but he's not great. I think thats okay for a pop-punk band though. Mark is about the same, not great but good. Travis is one of the BEST drummers ever! Scott was alright but Travis kills him by a long shot. Here's how I think about each and every song on the album: 01.Dumpweed: one of my all time favorates! It's so epic at the end when Tom starts the guitar riff. I love this song. 10/10 02.Dont Leave Me: It's okay but could be better. I do like the bass solo though, not something you see too much in pop-punk.7/10 03.Aliens Exist: a classic for me! I love this song. But after hearing it a bazzilian times, it get's a little old. But never-the-less, It's sill good.10/10 04.Going Away to College: I like this song a lot too. Mark's voice sounds good here. It's all around pretty good. I like the bridge a lot.9/10 05.What's My Age Again?: my Anthem! I love this song in every way possible! Mark is awesome and I love the slow-pretty part! 10/10 06.Destonary Gary: I hated this song at first but then it grew on me and now I love it! Tom's Voice is really good here! 9/10 07.Adam's Song: the other side to blink. Sad but still an amazing song. I loved the piano during the bridge.8/10 08.All the Small Things: everyone knows this song! It's increadably simple but good at the same time.8/10 09.The Party Song: this song isn't so great. I liked the "da-nana" part but everything else is annoying. 6/10 10.Mutt: this song is sooooo over looked! I love the bass part in the chorus riff and Travis is a beast, rolling with one hand on the high-hat in the bass-intro.10/10 11.Wendy Clear: another good one. I liked the harmonized bridge. Mark, again, sounds really good here.9/10 12.Anthem: this song is really cool exept it sped up during the 2nd verse which I thought was stupid. But the bass solo during the bridge is pretty cool. A great finale to the album.9/10 // 10

Lyrics: Mark and Tom. Not much else to say. Not as much potty-humor in this as "TOYAJ" and "Dude ranch" but thats okay. I think that they both are pretty good at writing lyrics. It's punk so most of the songs will be about girls. But thats alrght also. They both have gotten a lot better at singing. Mark is louder and less flat and Tom is... well Tom? But, he sounds better on this album for some reson...? Over all they did exelent! // 10

Overall Impression: None of the blink-182 albums are all the same which is cool. Each one is different from the next. I really liked the sound on this one. Good songs are; Dumpweed, Aliens Exist, What's My Age Again?, Destionary Gary, Mutt, Wendy Clear and Anthem. If you like blink or want to cheak them out, then I think that this is the one to get. If I was lost I would buy another! // 10

Enema Of The State Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 20, 2004

Sound: I think Blink 182 really sucks, but it would be not true to give them a 1. There guitarist probably got lessons from his dog, the singer sucks, but I guess the reason I dont give it a 1 is that their drummer is very skilled. I think he is the reason theyve gotten anywhere at all. My favorite is probably Adams Song, I guess, but I dont really care about it that much. // 4

Lyrics: The lyrics are pointless. The singer is just trying to rhyme, not make a point. The singer is horrible. It's obvious the singer has no skills. The lyrics barely go along with the music at all in my opinion. // 2

Overall Impression: I'm not saying this album is horrible if it sounds like it, but I dislike it greatly. I hate how, well, it sucks. if it were stolen, I wouldnt care that much. // 4

Enema Of The State Reviewed by: L Geddes, on december 07, 2006

Sound: This is a fairly old Blink album. There is only one song without distortion or overdrive which is fantastic by the way. I don't believe there is any story attatched to this album and if there is it is a very well disguised story. I think Blink have created their own unique sound that many modern-punk bands today still use. Songs like All The Small Things, Aliens Exist and What's My Age Again have a great original punk sound in them and have had a great influence on punk music in general. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics of Enema Of The State are fantastic. There rude, don't make sense and are just really great fun to listen to. Songs like Dysentery Gary and The Party Song are just really pathetic but mix really well with the fast thrashing punk Blink play. Although the album does not have a story line some of the songs have storys in them selves. Dysentery Gary: making fun of a sick person. What's My Age Again: acting immature on a date. Just little storys like that in the song make the album a lot more fun to listen to. At the time Tom DeLonge and Mark Hoppus didn't exactly have much singing ability. // 10

Overall Impression: I think this was Blink 182's best album. In Blink 182 their self-named album they start trying to become serious musicians and I think the real original Blink is in Enema Of The State. I don't think there is a best song on this album. I reckon it's the real Blink and that's when they were at their best in their careers. There is nothing I hate about this album. I've learnt every single part of every song and listened to the CD heaps and heaps. If this album was stolen or lost I would not even hesitate to buy a new one, it is a fantastic album and I would advise anyone to buy it. // 10

Enema Of The State Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 10, 2003

Sound: The guitar on this album is pretty simple to play but it sounds great and thats what matters.Some of the stuff is pretty hard while singing at the same time too. This is their first album with Travis Barker, and my God he is one of the best drummers today. The vocals are great and the sound quality is much better than Dude Ranch or Cheshire Cat. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are mostly about relationships,growing up,and teenage life in general. Many people can relate to it and thats why this album is very popular. "Adam's Song" I think surprised people a little bit. The members of Blink 182 are very immature and the song is a sobering tune about loneliness and suicide. It is probably the best song on the record. // 10

Overall Impression: This album and Dookie by Green Day put pop-punk on the map and I can see why. Great sound quality, awesome riffs, thumping bass, and astounding drumming. Very good lyrics and the way they are sung will appeal to many people. // 10

Enema Of The State Reviewed by: Jgoldnight, on december 22, 2003

Sound: This is actually the first Blink 182 album that I heard. I wasn't too impressed when I first heard it, I was just getting into the whole punk rock scene... Some two years later, I find myself still listening to Enema of the State, an amazing album. As the Cd plays, I want to skip through songs but hit after hit continues to cycle, before you know it, the cd is over and Anthem has just concluded. I love the sound on this album, its quite difficult to emulate. All you guitarists out there, Try to play Dysentery Gary perfectly, a task only Tom Delonge can perform. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are good. Simply put, I can recite the entire album. It takes countless listens to the album to make that memorization happen. That should prove how awesome this album is. Get off your bum and buy it. // 10

Overall Impression: I loved it! Every favorite of mine is on this CD from Dumpweed to Anthem, the hits continue to cycle. // 10

Enema Of The State Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 25, 2004

Sound: This album shows a HUGE improvement from their past efforts. It mighta been adding Travis to the band, it might've been Tom's voice changing some, I dunno what it is but it just makes the sound on this album awesome. Definitely some of Blink's best sound. // 10

Lyrics: These lyrics are just flat out awesome...I memorized this whole CD within about 2 weeks of getting it...that's how much I listened to it. None of the songs on here are really considered "jokes", which is definitely fine by me. The Lyrics to "Adam's Song" are truly amazing and have defeinately helped me through some rough times. Easily a 5. // 10

Overall Impression: All together, this is one of the ebst Blink albums out there, most people think that this is the best one. This album and Green Day's "Dookie" pretty much singlehandedly revived the whole poppunk genre. Definitely a must have for anyone...I know metalheads, rappers, and just about everyone else that listens to this. It's pretty much the perfect album. The best songs = all of them... // 10

Enema Of The State Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 29, 2004

Sound: Theres a little more to be desired in the sound department. Tom and Mark sounds great but if you're expecting to hear great guitar solos here, you might as well pass this album up. Blink 182 follows as most other punk rock bands do, and don't try very hard to write solos, but rather write cool guitar parts during the verses and kickass little riffs all along the way. // 8

Lyrics: Blink 182's lyric writing skills have never failed them. The lyrics on Enema Of The State are good, but you still wont be able to escape phrases like "Don't let my door hit your ass" or "Girls are such a drug". Blink's consistent lyrics throughout the album are fun to listen to and laugh at. I also like the fact that there is not always one vocalist singing on all of the tracks. Tom and Mark take turns singing each of the songs that they have written and they are both talented musicians, as well as vocalists. // 10

Overall Impression: Being on e of the band's earlier albums, it doesn't quite match up to the later Take Off your Pants And Jacket or Blink 182 (Self Titled). It's mostly because of Blink 182's inability to not write serious songs in their younger years (The only exception of this is in Adam's Song). But nonetheless, this is blink 182's first good album that is full of great songs such as Whats My Age Again and my personal favorite off of the cd, Dysentery Gary. It is a huge step up from Buhdda and Cheshire Cat. It combines fun guitar riffs with excellent lyrics to make for an album that is definetly worth buying to listen to in good times with your friends. // 8

Enema Of The State Reviewed by: crawlingfaster, on july 12, 2004

Sound: This was Blinks first cd after signing onto mca records. The sound on this album is better than any blink album except maybe their new self titled album, and toms vocals have matured a lot since the days of Dude Ranch and Cheshire Cat. This is without a doubt my favorite Blink cd, but Cheshire Cat comes in at number 2. // 10

Lyrics: Mark and Tom have the ability to write the catchiest songs without watering down their sound. They switch off vocals in each song, which is really cool so you don't get bored of the same singer every song. I think the best song Tom sings is Dumpweed, and Marks best is What's My Age Again. These guys never write boring lyrics-its that simple. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I sid before this is my favorite Blink cd. If I lost it I would buy it again the next day. // 10

Enema Of The State Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 04, 2004

Sound: The sound was horrible, compared to all of their other albums and a lot of the other albums I listen to (mostly classic rock albums). I would suggest this to anyone whose into modern-day punk. I guess one of the reasons I dislike the sound so much is I never really had a thing for the sound of punk music. I always thought it was a disgrace to music. I heard somewhere they were inspired by green day (in their music) so I guess if you like green day you might want to check out this album (I dont like green day). // 2

Lyrics: The lyrics are very immature, but they seem like typical lyrics for a modern-day punk band (about unfairness in parents and trouble in getting girls etc.) The singer(s) arent very skilled but I know how hard it is to sing and play an instrument at the same time so I can't blame them. // 6

Overall Impression: This album wasn't horrible, like some of the reviews before this one have said. Some songs are ok, like Adams Song (which has some pointless lyrics but an ok riff). If this album were stolen, I'd try to get it back from the person who stole it, but if I couldn't I wouldn't care too much. // 4

Enema Of The State Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 25, 2005

Sound: Ok to start, why are all of you being so harsh about this album? It's a really great album, and I think Blink 182's best. I'm a fan so I'm gonna be biased but come on this album rocks! I was into heavy metal, and scremo etc, but then I listened to this CD and, I was completely converted 2 punk (but obviously heavy metal still rocks). The sound is awesome and tom is a great guitarist, and Mark is great at bass, just because they dont show off doesnt mean they dont rule! This album is great when you dont want something too heavy and any Blink 182 fan will love it! If you don't have it go out right now and buy a copy. // 10

Lyrics: Loads of people judge the band because theyre lyrics arent whiney and about politics and s--t, but they even said in an interveiw that they don't wana express their political views through music and if you don't like it tough. Aliens Exist is the best song and its lyrics are great. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this album, and I personally think its their best. Songs like, Aliens Exist, Whats My Age Again, All The Small Things and Adam's Song are all great. In their later albums Blink 182 move on from this album alot, and I think its a shame because this is the ultimate Blink album. I love it because I can listen to it when I'm down or high and it never gets old. If it was stolen I would go and hunt the guy who stole its ass down and kill him. Then buy a new copy. // 10

Enema Of The State Reviewed by: blink182_nfg, on may 13, 2005

Sound: I thought that the Blink 182 CD Enema Of The State was a awesome CD, it has All The Small Things, Whats My Age Again and Adam's Song. This CD in my book gets a 5 out of 5. Their style of music in this album is not as heavy as their latest self titled cd and not as light as their Dude Ranch album which came out in 1997. I really like this CD and I hope you will too. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were really good and made a lot of sence. The guitar, bass, and drum parts went with the lyrics really well, it blended nicely. Tom's voice has improved a lot and I swear Mark has endless breath as you will see in the party song. // 10

Overall Impression: It is awesome and I think it's trully one of the best albums I have ever bought. The best songs in my prespective are: Dumpweed, Aliens Exist, Adam's Song, Party Song, Mutt and Anthem. I love this album because it has had a true impact in my life a drew me to more punk bands like them. I would buy another one if it got stolen in a heart beat. // 10

Enema Of The State Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 11, 2005

Sound: Enema Of The State has a really good sound to it. It makes you smile and want to tear the place apart. It makes you want to pick up your guitar and play along! The sound is top quality and the drumming by Travis Barker is excellent! // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are amusing and totally to the point! Although the singers aren't brilliant their voices suit the songs and make it sound good and easy to listen to. The lyrics suit the music and make you want to sing along! // 10

Overall Impression: The most impressive songs are What's My Age Again, All The Small Things, and Aliens Exist. I love the way it makes you smile. There is nothing to hate in my eyes apart from when it finishes and there no more Blink 182 to listen to (unless you go back to the beginning). I would definitely buy the album again, as I would cry otherwise. It's one of the best albums around! // 10

Enema Of The State Reviewed by: peepee182, on february 17, 2006

Sound: The sound is sooo amazing! Travis's first album with blink, the drums was fast and really upbeat. Adam's song's drum is so offbeat but goes with the song. mark's voice sounds really good and the guitar is simple and fun to play. The drums in Dumpweed blew my mind and Aliens Exist is funny and has a special meaning to Tom. Tom voice has matured a little bit since Dude Ranch and Chesire Cat and All The Small things can convert anyone to start listing to their music, as well as Whats My Age Again. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are from the heart and Adam's Song is sad and depressing but it can mean alot to some kids and it did to me. Tom can write really good music and his voice is so puny but he is one of my favorite singers. The Party Song is so fast and so melodic all in one song. Blinks music is so catchy and so from th heart. // 10

Overall Impression: The album is not as great as Dude Ranch. Probly the most impressive song is Adam's Song, the drums are just so crazy! The lyrics in it are so good and mean so much. I love everything in the album. I wish it had a little more serious songs on it coz they did so well with Adam's Song they are a really good and if I lost one of their albums I would deffintly buy it again. It means alot to me I'd give it 2 thumbs up. I'd give it three if I had another hand. // 9

Enema Of The State Reviewed by: Tster, on march 26, 2007

Sound: One of the best albums ever and a must buy! Every song is fantastic this album is amazing. The music is punk-rock and when you start listening to it is impossible to stop. The sound is great and really original. They really know how to rock it. Tom Delonge is the guitarist, Mark Hoppus is the Bassist and Travis Barker is the drummer. The sound is amazing you have to get this album. // 10

Lyrics: Classic lyrics and perfectly executed. They go over stuff that you encounter in every day life so it pulls you in and on top of that their voices sound great and they are funny! I know all the words and that's big for me it's just so great. Really the only song that takes a serious side is 'Adam's Song' but whaoooh! it's so good I learnt the tab for it. // 10

Overall Impression: One of the best albums of all time. It revolutionized punk-rock forever. Every song is impressive you have to get this album! I love everything about it and I would defiantly buy it again if it was lost or stolen. You can't get much better than this. Every song is a hit. // 10

Enema Of The State Reviewed by: Dk510boy, on february 25, 2009

Sound: The Enema of the State CD is Blink's true culmination of wittyness, catchy licks, and just the right amount of dirty down skate-punk/pop-punk. Songs like Aliens Exist, Adams Song, and Dumpweed steal your eardrums for the duration of the Album. A must buy for true blink fans, this CD is the balance between their old immature selves, and their "mature" musician sides. With craftsmanship and a pinch of rudeness, this is a 9 Album, truly a rock a legend. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on Enema are simple, but they carry that sharp sting and a bit off humor. They find more "Literate" ways of expressing what Teen Angst truly is. The singing,while not amazing, sticks with you thanks to Mark and Tom's unique voices. The delivery is usually quite good, and even on tracks like Dumpweed, were he practically forces the lyrics out, you can still understand him. // 8

Overall Impression: The Album Enema of the state, while not a masterpiece like Hendrix's Axis:Bold as Love, or any other deep musician, Blink-182 packs a punch worth listening to on this classic Pop/Punk album. If it were stolen, i would go buy this, and all of the other Blink albums. // 9

Enema Of The State Reviewed by: d1o2m3, on july 05, 2012

Sound: I'm sure pretty much everyone has at least heard of Blink 182 and this is with valid reason. I remember seeing there music all of "Kerrang" amongst other music channels a while back and still to an extent. The fact that the title of the album "Enema Of The State" was to my knowledge thought up on the spot while filming their "Urethra Chroincles" documentary (Which you should definitely check out!) says it all... This band are all about FUN! This isn't to say their music isn't or can't be serious but you really get the impression they have loads of fun doing what they do. In terms of the sound of the album, it's the usual Blink 182 three/four chord song format the majority of the time which I'm absolutely fine with! Not to mention there are some absolutely killer riffs and melodies on this album which will stay with you forever!.. Not to mention what Travis brings to the table! // 10

Lyrics: I personally will look over any lyric, they don't have to be particularly heart felt or sincere but what I can't stand is cheesy lyrics! Luckily I don't find any of the lyrics particularly cringe worthy when they're being sang in the song. The lyrics really flow and that's what really matters! The singing actually sounds really good, Mark and Tom's vocals have definitely improved since the "Dude Ranch" recording. Although I don't think pristine vocals have every really been the point. However Mark and Tom have absolutely nailed the harmonies on this album and I don't think I can picture "What's My Age Again" with out both the guys shouting "23" in the choruses. Listen to "The Party Song" for some very impressive lyric (what I'm going to call) "spitting" from Mark. Tom gets a lot of stick about having a "whiny vocal". I don't really see a problem with it and especially on this album it totally suits the their sound! (Side note - I went to see Blink at the O2 Arena on the 9th of June 2012 and his vocals were top notch!) // 10

Overall Impression: Looking at this album now I still think it stands it's ground with the ones both before and after it! Don't get me wrong I love "M+Ms", "Dammit" and other classics as much as the next Blink superfan but when writing this album I get the impression that they started to realise speed wasn't everything and this definitely shows on a song like "Adam's Song" which after listening to any of the previous albums, you really can't picture them writing and They probably became better song writers because of this. My top (more than) 5 songs off the album are: "Dumpweed", "Mutt", "The Party Song", "Wendy Clear", "Going Away To College" and "What's My Age Again". (This is in no way disputing the other songs on the album, they pretty much all kick a-s!) What I love about this album is the fact that I listen to it soo much and still enjoy it the same if not more than ever. As soon as I hear that brilliant riff at the beginning of "Dumpweed" I know I'm in for some fun. Lets get this straight I would never lose this album... But if I did I would totally buy it again! There's so much right with this album it's hard to think that the band broke up. With all this positive I guess I have to give some negative. The only negative thing I can think of is that I didn't write this album! Mark, Tom and Travis must go to bed every night happy just because this album exists. Go buy it! It's worth every damn penny! A++++++ // 10

More Blink 182 reviews rating latest review