Flyswatter Review

artist: blink 182 date: 07/07/2009 category: compact discs
blink 182: Flyswatter
Released: 1993
Genre: Rock
Number Of Tracks: 8 This is a part of Blink history and it should be in every CD colection of a Blink 182 fan.
 Lyrics: 8.8
 8.3
 8.2
 8.4
Flyswatter Reviewed by: beno99, on november 18, 2005

Sound: This is Blink's first ever album, before they even changed their name. They used to be call "Blink," before being threatened by a similar named band. This features Tom DeLonge (guitar, vocals) Mark Hoppus (bass, vocals) and Scott Raynor (drums). This was originally a demo EP, but can now be downloaded quite easily on a lot of websites. The sound quality is not so good, as it was recorded on a cheap recorder in Scott's bedroom/basement (not sure which). Speaking about this later, Mark and Tom are not very proud of their first recorded, (and compared to their later releases, you can see why) but it good to listen to if you are a true fan. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics are totally different from their latest releases, and the main singer is now Mark, compared to Tom singing to most on "Blink 182." It is actually quite funny to listen to them singing (because they're ot that good). The lyrics fit the music/genre perfectly, with Mark managing to cram many words into a line. // 7

Overall Impression: I can't say that it compares to "Blink 182" or "Take Off Your Pants And Jacket" at all, but it is great to listen to what began a whole era of great music! // 7

Flyswatter Reviewed by: callum 182, on april 12, 2004

Sound: The sound quality on this album is totaly crap, but that is because Flyswatter was not an actual cd. It is blink 182's 1st demo tape. It was recorded in scot raynor's garage (the original drummer). If you are a hard core Blink fan like me you should get this album because the songs on it are really good. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics are really ace well the parts you can understand. If you go to blink-182.org you will get all the lyrics. Plus it is a really good Blink site. If you own Buddha or Cheshire Cat you will know that they were not as good singers as they are now but you think the voices still rock, get this album. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a part of Blink history and it should be in every cd colection of a Blink 182 fan. You will be able to get the album from e bay at about 5! the best songs I think are the last 2, #7 the longest line and #8 freak scene. I love this album the only thing I don't like is the sound quality and if it was stolen or lost I would deffinatly buy it again. It is definitely worth buying espesially for like a fiver from e-bay the only other bad thing is you can't get an actual cd. You can only get copies as it was recorded onto a tape. // 10

Flyswatter Reviewed by: actaderock, on july 07, 2009

Sound: Ok, first of all I've grown with Blink, but only a true fan would reach the point of reading/writting a flyswatter review (because some think cheshire cat was the first album, or at least Budha).. Anyway, just as most of us do, we make home recordings, just for fun or whatever, these guys (Tom DeLonge-Guitar, Mark Hoppus-Bass and vocals, Scott Raynor-Drums) wanted to record something, but this was almost 20 years ago. The sound quality is obviously crap, but the music its self is really good. Of the 8 tracks, 2 are covers, I think the NOFX cover is pretty decent. // 9

Lyrics: Blink 182 will always (or at least until Take off your Pants and Jacket) talk about girls or teenager themes in general in their songs. They did talk about teenager problems, but not girls, they talked about being ''rejected, different, etc.'' which was really cool (and being Flyswatter the last Blink 182 album I've heard until the day). About how the played, they didn't do it perfectly to be honest, but Mark has awsome bass lines in some songs. About the singer skills, someone might even think this is not Mark, why? Because it wasn't edited in a big label, it wasn't edited at all actually (plus Mark was only 17 or 18 back in the Flyswatter days). I don't know when or why they realized Tom has an awesome voice, but as said before, this is the last Blink album I've heard to the day, so knowing that Tom also sings, I wouldv liked to hear his voice in Flyswatter. // 8

Overall Impression: If it had a decent quality, it would compare, it has kickass songs. Some of the most impressive songs for me are Red Skies and Marlboro Man for its bass lines, Alone has an awesome guitar riff, The Longest Line is better than NOFX's version (I've said it about a 100 times now, but technically it ''isn't'' better than NOFX's version because the sound quality is horrible). The only song I dislike is Time, just because it reminds me of Don't Stop Believing by Journey. My favourite in general is Reebok Commercial and I really think they should consider playing that one live or even re-recording it. The only bad things with most of these songs is that they have really long (cool, but long) intros and a lot of unnecesary (sometimes cool, but unnecesary) drumming. // 8

Flyswatter Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 15, 2004

Sound: This is Blink 182's first demo (on cassette) they made back in 1992. The sound isn't good at all, but that's to be expected. It was recorded in a garage and its on cassette. Without a doubt, this is Blink's best. I think they should go back and either remaster it or totally do all the songs over again. To any hardcore Blink 182 fan, or even someone just getting into them, find this demo. // 6

Lyrics: Blink 182 is always able to come up with awesome lyrics. Whether it's a deep song about being in space and not wanting to come back because the world isnt that great, to a song about having sex with a dog, they always get it done. The lyrics on this album are deep. Great lyrics on songs like "Alone" and "Time" make this really stand out. Good lyrics along with great guitar, bass, and drums. // 10

Overall Impression: For an early demo, this is awesome. This demo got Blink signed on to a record company in 93. This demo doesn't compare in any way to any other of Blink's later stuff in their career. This is definitly something worth searching for. I've been a Blink 182 forever and this is in my top 3 favorite albums. // 10

More Blink 182 reviews rating latest review