Neighborhoods Review

blink 182: Neighborhoods
Released: Sep 27, 2011
Genre: Pop Rock, Pop Punk, Alternative Rock
Label: Geffen, Interscope
The long awaited return of Blink-182 explores plenty of new avenues without losing any core appeal.
 Lyrics: 8.2
 8.3
 8.2
 8.4
Neighborhoods Featured review by: UG Team, on september 27, 2011

Sound: The reunion tour fad is slowly ending. The European festival circuit has for the most part recovered from its dependence on big, predictable returns and our heads turn now in the direction of new albums; few have been more anticipated than this one from Blink-182. The talismans of tooth-rottingly cheesy pop-punk have served a handful of generations with bedroom anthems and the emotional treasuring that their fanbase has for the band should always be remembered. Before disbanding in 2005 however, the trio put out a self-titled record of bold seriousness and experimentalism. It was a hit nonetheless, and it's a forgone conclusion that when they returned they would continue in that vein. What was subject to more speculation was how far the bands activities in the interim between break-up and reunion would inform the new material.

"Neighborhoods" is neither the crude pretension of Angels & Airwaves nor the pleasant songwriting of the ultimately toothless +44 project and nor is it a return to adolescent SoCal powerpop, though tunes like "Natives" and "Wishing Well" will bring out a few smiles. It's an interestingly varied display of modern rock songwriting, exploring some new territory while using the welcome familiarity of Mark Hoppus and Tom DeLonge's vocal partnership to push the hooks home. The variety in timbre lays bare the band's harmonic foundations and they're actually as much sourced from The Cure as they are Bad Religion. For example "This Is Home" could, flamboyant drumming aside, sit fairly comfortably on a number of 80s post-punk records while "After Midnight", is a classy modern sketch of "Pictures Of You". Approached from this angle, "Neighborhoods" can hold some worth for those who had written Blink off long ago, but then the same applied to "Blink-182". The difference is the consciousness with which the band puts its fingers in different pies, evidence perhaps that this reunion is driven more by personal reconciliation than any musical calling. // 7

Lyrics: In the long run-up to release week questions have been asked about Tom DeLonge's voice his discipline; his tone; his lyrics; even his ability to hold a tune. Two of those worries thankfully are shushed by the process of making a multi-million dollar record but since he's been gone DeLonge has only accentuated his twisting and curdling of vowels, an obvious sticking point for many. While he and compatriot Mark Hoppus sounded a little like tired old men on early single "Up All Night", they settle a lot better in the long run and their characteristic catchiness does as well, though their ability to lyrically distil the youth is long gone. Luckily they chose not to rekindle that flame, so while they no longer relate to their fanbase in the same way aged 30-something, Hoppus and DeLonge have put together a respectable assortment of songs with darkness aplenty if you know where to look. // 7

Overall Impression: As "Neighborhoods" coughs and wheezes to a close with a handful of fairly pedestrian tracks, you wonder just how successful it could have been had the band decided on one primary style, stuck with it and laid down thirty or forty minutes of their best stuff. Unfortunately this album runs a little too long and that indecision puts a ceiling on what is otherwise quite a refreshing album and one that listeners will ultimately relish. It's not an album that would have launched Blink-182 to fame had they not already done so, but luckily they're in the situation where all that's required is a good arsenal of songs for tour and there's a fair few that will get the audience recognition they deserve. // 7

- Duncan Geddes (c) 2011

Neighborhoods Reviewed by: Vash_15, on september 27, 2011

Sound: Angels And Airwaves have released their latest album, entitled "Neighbordhoods", and after - wait, this is Blink? Like, seriously? Well that's odd, because this honestly sounds more like AvA and +44 got together and decided to sing each other's songs. The album opens up with "Ghost On The Dancefloor" a song which instantly made me think of probably the only AvA song I don't loathe, "Epic Holiday". It's blaring synth and guitar work are ripped straight from AvA, and while the song isn't awful (though far from great) I'm not really a fan. This is a good indication of what half the album will sound like; synth, simple guitar work, and Tom DeLonge trying to sound like he's 10 years younger. The other half sounds like +44, with one guitar instead of 2, and, again, Tom DeLonge trying to sound 10 years younger. The point I'm trying to make here is that this is hardly Blink. They've become so tainted by their side projects that when it came time to do what they do best, they couldn't pull through, they were so far off the mark that Tom even does that AvA "yo-oh-oh" thing on "This Is Home". For those of you looking for some truly Blink-ish songs, you won't find many, but what you do find will impress you. "Heart's All Gone" sounds like it could be straight off of "Enema Of The State" musically, with lyrics that fall straight into what you'd find on the 2003 self-titled album, "MH 4/18/2011" (a song name that clearly represents a date of significance that I can't recall) has the fast power chords and fun beats that should fill the entire album, and "Up All Night" was actually pulled off the 2003 album (go look it up, it's crazy). The standout track of the album however, is definitely "Kaleidoscope", a song which sports an amazingly catchy guitar riff and fun lyrics that should please anyone who finds the rest of the album unenjoyable. While these songs are good though, listeners beware, your opinion may really change with the rest of the songs, depending on how much you liked or disliked their side projects. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics are... odd. It's like they've written songs for their own bands, then tried adding that Blink-182 immaturity. A good example of this is in "Snake Charmer" one of the more AvA-ish tracks on the album. Tom has a love song that seems like it would never be something used for Blink, it's got sympathetic, poetic lyrics, then our of nowhere he throws in "she wants you deep inside her". I caught that and was left dumbfounded, odd occurrences like this pop up randomly throughout the album, which is honestly full of mature lyrics. These guys have grown into pretty good songwriters, which is probably another reason this doesn't seem like Blink. They use big words with little meaning, adding up to a standard love song, while in the last album, they were able to keep it simple lyrically, but still managed to come out with truly meaningful songs like "Go" or "Down". I previously mentioned "MH 4.18.2011" as a good song, and musically it is, but lyrically, it falls a bit short. It's catchy, but the lyrics seem to be about killing people in the mafia? Something like that. It's just, where's the meaning? Where's the fun? It sounds like a song I wrote when I was 12, it really does. It seems like Blink just can't win lyrically, and when it comes to singer skills, it only gets slightly better. Tom DeLonge sounds horrible, he really does. He's been gradually losing the ability to sing over the years, and now he can't decide whether he's adapting to what he sounds like now, or if he's trying to recreate how he sounded 10 years ago, and because of that, what was once just a problem live has now become a problem for the record, to the point where I have trouble listening to certain songs, such as "Ghost On The Dancefloor", because I just hear that awful live voice of his every time the vocals kick in. Unfortunately, Tom sings on the majority of the album (all but 4 songs, one of which is an interlude). Mark on the other hand, sounds great. Honestly, ever since their first album, Mark seems to have maintained his vocal range and ability, both live and in the studio, and I give him props for that. His songs are easily the best on the album, unfortunately, he doesn't get as much of a chance to shine as Tom does, but I expected this from the beginning, because Tom is a diva. // 6

Overall Impression: Well I listened to every song at least 5 times before writing this review, and I'm convinced that this album in an inferior piece of work. The music is too influenced by the side projects, and not in a good way at all, taking a step backwards is one thing, but in "Neighborhoods" Blink-182 seems to have taken a step in completely different directions. The album can't decide what it wants to be, and it really suffers because of that. I'm all for variety, but I honestly feel like I'm listening to 3 different artists on one album, and that's something that Blink really needs to correct, should they last to see another album. // 6

Neighborhoods Reviewed by: hennym5, on december 02, 2011

Sound: Upon first listening to the album, as you reach about the halfway point ("Heart's All Gone"-ish) it will likely occur to you how very different each song has been so far, almost that they seem to be off completely different albums. This is the beauty of Blink, they have no real set sound for true fans, and this album is most obviously called Neighborhoods because the songs are coming from different ends of the musical spectrum, or "Neighborhoods". Later in the album tho, unfortunately, the songs will likely melt into one long, impactless heap. For this reason I assure you that you will be much better listening to each song as individuals as much as possible in order to understand the true near-perfection of this record. 1. "Ghost On The Dance Floor": A great way to start the album and introduce Blink's new sound. Highly reminiscent of AvA, but not a bad song at all. The verses are great and the best part of the song. 2. "Natives": High energy, high impact, fun listening, with a riff similar to "M+Ms". Sounds completely different to the first track, but fits greatly somehow. 3. "Up All Night": A dark, but soothing song that makes great listening. Hearing this song long before the album's release, though makes it sound out far from the rest of the album a little. 4. "After Midnight": A very catchy chorus and some impressive verses. It was nice to hear some bass in the bridge, and the guitar in the song is not bad at all. 5. "Snake Charmer": A definite stand-out on the album, a good example of musical experimentation done well. A great mix of space-punk, indie and prog-rock. 6. "Interlude": A segue into the next track that surpasses "The Fallen Interlude" of the previous album and exceeded my expectations of an interlude. 7. "Heart's All Gone": One of the few tracks with little or no effects. A fairly heavy punk song that goes back to the times of "Enema". 8. "Wishing Well": The catchiest and happiest... And best song on the album by far... No more can be said. 9. "Kaleidoscope": The verses and chorus are great, but seem a little wrong together, but it's nice to see the trio mixing up the verse-chorus-verse-chorus format 10. "This Is Home": Not hugely memorable, but not bad. A good case of musical simplicity to effect. 11. "MH 4/18/2011": A song with a distinct Alkaline Trio-esque sound, mixed with Rise Against's "Endgame" to create a great, musically thick, bulky song. 12. "Love Is Dangerous": While being a decent song, the chorus drags it into the realm's of cheesiness. 13. "Fighting The Gravity": WTF was that?! 14. "Even If She Falls": It's like TOYPAJ in space, a great song, impressive guitar in the intro & verses, although barely in the chorus. Unfortunate that this was cut off the standard album... There's always Spotify though. // 9

Lyrics: Blink's most impressive album yet, lyrically. The verses of all the songs especially impress me, nearly a ten! Tom and Mark's voices do not disappoint, with their polar pitches contrasting well. Below is a the tracklist with each of the song's best lines. 1. "Ghost On The Dance Floor": "The universe has left me, without a place to go.. O.. O.." 2. "Natives": "I start to feel my feet, they kick down walls as they move!" 3. "Up All Night": "And all these demons, they keep me up all night" 4. "After Midnight": "Hold on as we crash into the earth" 5. "Snake Charmer": "She creeps up like a spider, and wants you deep inside her" 6. "Interlude": -- 7. "Heart's All Gone": "Your strongest line of defense are all just self-inflicted wounds" 8. "Wishing Well": "I went to a wishing well, but sank to the ocean floor" 9. "Kaleidoscope": "Try to fall asleep while your ears ring" 10. "This Is Home": "We dance like f**king animals" 11. "MH 4/18/2011": "Let it burn, let it fall, let the end of the world come" 12. "Love Is Dangerous": "We have to hurt the ones we care about" 13. "Fighting The Gravity": "I'm always fightin' the gravity" 14. "Even If She Falls": "Try, to look in her eye, tonight is just right, even if she falls in love". // 9

Overall Impression: Some songs far more memorable than others, but not an album full of fillers, just experiments that may not have gone as planned. The impression is one of a mixture of +44, AvA and BCR, but after all... That is Blink-182. Several listens are needed to fully appreciate the album, but believe me, you WILL want to keep listening to this. Look out for "Natives", "Snake Charmer" and "Wishing Well" for musical + lyrical genius! Blink is definitely back, with my favourite album to date. // 9

Neighborhoods Reviewed by: BOYERxBREAKDOWN, on september 27, 2011

Sound: After 8 years, Blink-182 finally puts out a new record. After a few side projects like AvA and +44, the sound of the band has shifted from their toilet humor and fun loving brand of pop punk. This record features a much more mature sound than any other in their discography, a good deal of spacey choruses and synth from these 90's pop punk icons. Don't worry there are some good throwback songs on here from some of the older fans. This change feels very natural to me, the next logical step in the band's progression from songs about adult diapers to songs about life and loss and the stress and problems of life. Although at times songs drag and feel a little repetitive, it doesn't draw too much from the overall feel of the album. The guitars sounded epic throughout, fitting the stadium rock like feel of the album. A lot of effects, and a lot spacey-ness. The basslines were all solid but nothing flashy, I kinda miss the rawness of Mark's bass from their first few records. Mark Hoppus is one of the main influence on my bass playing and my music in general and on this album I'm left a little disappointed but I digress. Travis absolutely killed it on this album, Just the little fills and oddities in his playing proved that he deserves some that hype he gets. Not the greatest drummer ever but still making other drummers look like children. // 9

Lyrics: I was definitely satisfied with the lyrics on this album. They all flow very nicely, although I like mentioned before there are a few repetitive tracks on the record like "Kaleidoscope". I enjoy the song but the lack of a strong bridge made me want to skip to the next song. The lyrics and the music work very well together, it almost feels like a soundtrack for a movie... I was very pleased with the sing on "Neighborhoods". Mark sounds like good 'ole Mark while Tom sounds more mature and stronger than previous albums. The backing vocals and harmonies work together well, especially on "Love Is Dangerous" and "Up All Night". // 8

Overall Impression: If you're looking for a classic pop punk Blink album, you're going to be disappointed but if you're looking for some really epic and powerful rock than you will be more than happy with "Neighborhoods". My favorite songs of the album have to "Ghost On The Dance Floor", "Even If She Falls", "After Midnight", and "Natives". I love this album, I've only listened to it once but I imagine myself sing along to this like every other Blink-182 record. I'm so relieved that Blink-182 didn't lose what made me love them in the first place, the catchiness, the power, and the ability to make me smile like an idiot. Even though some of the songs are a little dark. // 10

Neighborhoods Reviewed by: sassamafras, on september 27, 2011

Sound: Blink-182 have gone from snot nosed, bratty pop punks to a more mature sound over the course of the last 17 years, and with their seventh release "Neighborhoods" the boys pick up from where they left off before they split. "Neighborhoods" continues the progression of their sound which started with their self-titled release, ditching the toilet humour entirely. Layered with a more atmospheric sound, the record comes off more as a combination of +44 and AvA, which comes off surprisingly better than expected. It's the Blink-182 that fans know and love, with a little experimentation to spice up the sound here and there. Blink-182 isn't going to win over any new fans, but its a solidly produced album that shines. Oh, and Barker's drumming is fantastic as always. // 8

Lyrics: Following the trend they started with their self-titled release, the group focuses highly on darker themes. Death is a commonly discussed subject; which reflects the conflicts the group had post-break up, as well as near death experiences and the loss of family and friends. Hoppus sounds great, and balances out the more whiney sounding Tom, but together is where they truly shine. On songs like "Up All Night" and "After Midnight" the two trade off lines or verses, creating the best sound on the record. The record marks an even further departure from their roots, which honestly isn't a bad thing at all. // 7

Overall Impression: As previously mentioned, it is most easily compared to their self-titled release, and will likely not disappoint if you were a fan of that album. It's not their best record, but it is still a solid record and is worth a listen. Personal favorites on the album include "Natives", "Ghosts On The Dancefloor" and "After Midnight". "Hearts All Gone" harkens back to "Dude Ranch", which will please fans of their older work. If I lost this album, I would not buy it again because I am poor. // 8

Neighborhoods Reviewed by: StackedTuna, on june 28, 2012

Sound: "Neighborhoods" is not like anything Blink have ever done; they have all matured (off the stage anyway) and created a masterpiece in which the music is genuinely great. The album also perfectly reflects where blink are with their career. The darker lyrics that were explored in their self-titled album have returned, but this time they are in the context of what has happened since the breakup of the band back in 2005. Although the lyrics are somewhat darker, the music is as lively as it's ever been. // 8

Lyrics: The opening track "Ghost On The Dancefloor" highlights just that. With lyrics such as "It's like the universe has left me, without a place to go, without a hint of light, to watch the movement glow" it's still an energetic song, with an essence of synth and a memorable chorus sang by Tom DeLonge. Straight after "Ghost On The Dancefloor", "Natives" is sprung into action. It starts with an infectious guitar riff reminiscent of "M&Ms" and Angels & Airwaves' "Young London". It's also the first song on the album which has Tom and Mark singing, and it works as well as it has in the past. There's the first single from the album "Up All Night", with a heavy riff and alternating singing in the verses. It's a great first single, and the song fits perfectly on the album. "After Midnight" is next, followed by "Snake Charmer", which is a sonic driven anthem that really showcases the different elements from each member coming into place. After a mellow "Hearts All Gone Interlude", "Hearts All Gone" is unleashed, which is a fast paced punk song that really shines a light on Travis Barker's expert drumming. "Wishing Well" is a dangerously catchy song, with Tom's signature "da, da, da"s' in the chorus. "Kaleidoscope" follows which lyrically stands out. Lyrics such as "Stop banging away on my kaleidoscope, stop draining the colour out of my scene, just play me something I can dance to, I can dance to anything you wanna sing" which Mark Hoppus stated that "It was kind of about people in their late teens, early to mid twenties, trying to find their way in the world." "This Is Home" is an animated song with, in my opinion, Tom's best vocals on the album. Another fast paced, Mark fronted song is next: "MH.4.18.2011", followed by "Love Is Dangerous". "Love Is Dangerous" has a very Angels And Airwaves feel to it, but that isn't a bad thing here. There's great synth involved, with Tom singing his heart out. It's a great song. "Fighting The Gravity" is probably my least favourite track on the album, but it's still a good song. It's the most experimental, with heavy sonic elements to it. The album closes with "Even If She Falls" which is a song with lighter lyrics than most of the songs on "Neighborhoods". // 9

Overall Impression: Blink-182 could have returned from their hiatus and put out an album full of 3 minute long pop-punk songs, with a few dick jokes here and there. Instead of doing that, they challenged themselves to write a meaningful, mature album, what with Travis' plane crash, and long term producer Jerry Finns's death. They have pulled it off; it's an amazing album, with elements from Mark, Tom and Travis, and lyrics influenced from everything that's happened since their messy breakup. Blink-182 will be recording a new album soon, and if "Neighborhoods" is anything to go by, it'll be a cracker. // 9

Neighborhoods Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 27, 2011

Sound: An amazing range of different styles of rock including some Prog Rock. Due to Tom DeLonge changing his voice the music sounds crazily good with his voice. This is a great comeback album from the Trio since going through the break up in 2005 and their last album sefl-titled "Blink-182". // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics for this particular album are excellent there is just an amazing contrast of different subjects throughout the album. Especially if you listen to the 2nd track "Natives". This album contains songs sung by both Mark Hoppus and Tom DeLonge. It has a very good way of putting a point across. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a very unique album. It has it's differences to various other mainstream music of this day. "Up All Night", "Natives" and "After Midnight" are very impressive songs and personally my favourites. // 10

Neighborhoods Reviewed by: Paul*Stanley, on september 27, 2011

Sound: "Neighborhoods" is definitely an album for fans of Blink-182's self-titled album from 8 years ago. Only the faintest traces of their pop-punk sound remain and they're now better classified as an alternative pop rock band. Still, that's not a bad thing, and their more polished sound seems like a natural progression for the band. This album sounds less like "Enema Of The State" and more like a combination of Angels And Airwaves and +44, the bands Mark, Tom and Travis filled while blink was on hiatus. All of them completely embrace the styles that they've carved out for themselves over their career and, clearly, this is the best musicianship Blink has ever had. This record isn't as experimental as their previous album and there doesn't really seem to be much filler, so for the most part, the album turned out quite well. // 8

Lyrics: Both Tom and Mark's voices have changed over the past eight years. Tom's singing is more stylistic than ever, really setting himself apart from any other singer in rock, and Mark almost seems to be struggling a little more than he did in classics like "What's My Age Again?" and "Adam's Song". The album's best songs are the ones on which they share several lead vocal parts, like "Up All Night" and "After Midnight". While their sound has taken on a very different vibe from their older material, their lyrics have as well. The subject matter is no longer teen angst and girls, but rather life's hardship ("Do you want me here? As I struggle through each and every year") and death, which is to be expected, seeing as it was tragedy that brought the band back together. Let's put it this way - none of the songs on this album start with the words, "I wanna f--k a dog in the a-s". The lyrics surely aren't bad and the common thread throughout each song kind of connects the album nicely, but it also lacks the trademark wit and humor that Blink's lyrics used to be chock-full of. That kind of style wouldn't really fit anymore, however, so although I'm sad to see them almost lose their sense of humor, they're new style works. // 7

Overall Impression: Much to most peoples' chagrins, blink has matured, even more so than they did in their 2003 album. They're sensitive, deep and have said good bye to their punk years, but they still know how to put together a decent album. The upbeat tunes on the record are vastly superior to the downbeat, almost mournful ones, but their sadder songs are still by no means bad. If you don't buy the whole thing, check out "Up All Night", "Heart's All Gone", and "After Midnight". They're worth a download. // 8

Neighborhoods Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 27, 2011

Sound: I am a big Blink-182 fan, and hearing Mark, Tom, and Travis coming back together to make a new album, I was excited to say the least. The new CD, not being produced by Jerry Finn who has been with the group a long time, has a great sound to it. Mark definitely did a good job, though Tom's guitar tone is some songs sounds a little weak but just a small gripe for an amazing album. Its taking Blink's self-titled and mixing it with the best of +44, Boxcar Racer, Angels & Airwaves, creating a new style, but still definitely Blink. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrically, this CD is incredible. A bit on the dark side, considering all that has happened to the group within the last few years. Songs that stand out lyrically to me are "Snake Charmer", "Up All Night", and "Wishing Well" will get in your head and never leave. Like their album before, each song is very well written and shows off how far they have come from their old style of toilet humor. // 10

Overall Impression: If you want to hear an album from "old" Blink, this is not for you. If you want to appreciate how far these guys have come and to hear a great album, then your wait is over. "Neighborhoods" is probably my favorite album behind their self-titled, and it deserves it. Go buy it, no questions, just do it. // 9

Neighborhoods Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 02, 2011

Sound: I am a Blink-182 fan, they are one of my favourite bands.I find them appealing for they're songs with catchy guitar riffs. This album is the bands first after they returmed from a 4 year hiatus. It incorporates much of the style that guitarist/vocalist Tom DeLonge pursued in his band Angels And Airwaves (AVA) and some of bassist/vocalist Mark Hoppus and drummer Travis Barker's style in their own project +44. I believe they took a huge risk in getting back together and self-producing an album that would not be considered "classic Blink" by hardcore fans. Their previous pop-punk influences of Screeching Weasel and Green Day have been replaced by the mature stylings of The Cure and U2 (with small trinkets of Coldplay and The Killers). The band recorded this album split between two studios as DeLonge and Hoppus were not fully cooperating. As a result many of the songs sound mashed together however in my opinion this has somehow worked out in "Neighbourhoods". This album will again, like their self titled 2003 album force the listener to say "that's Blink!?" but has jumped back at critics who described their old pop-punk style as too easy on the ear or childish. As a Blink fan who has all their albums when I first heard the first single "Up All Night" I was silently disappointed. Before hearing the song I was adamant I would buy the album the first day it came out. But I then waited and after first listening to it, I left it alone. However after a second listen it grew on me and now its on replay every day! // 7

Lyrics: Dark... Not Blink. Not even their 2003 album. There's no longing after the 'girl who got away'. Its been replaced by death and visions of bleak landscapes. This is evident in the songs "Ghosts On The Dance Floor" and "Hearts All Gone". Obvious signs of the sigh* maturity of the band. However is this a bad thing? Come on! Who wants to see Blink-182 in ten years with wrinkles on viagra talking about going into her room and taking of her clothes. They've taken time to mature but pulled it off gracefully. But wait! Songs such as "MH 4.18.2011" with its catchy pre-chorus sounding similar to early Green Day or even Bowling For Soup, and also "Natives" (or Anthem Pt. Three as I now call it) both restore confidence to the Blink fan that they can still write lyrics about teenage rebellion and their feeling of hopelessness. Tunes like "This Is Home" and "After Midnight" contain the lofty visions of space that AVA could relate to more that +44 and its called into question whether Tom's obvious dominance throughout the whole album lyrically is Marks desire to reform the bond within Blink. The Singing, you can expect Tom's new style of ornamenting his vocals which takes getting used to and Mark's typical powerful voice to lift spirits. I was disappointed to hear Mark doesn't have any catchy choruses such as in "Feeling This" but "MH 4.18.2011" is close. "Love Is Dangerous" is probably the best example of the bands (AVA and +44) collaboration lyrically and the chorus shows where I think should continue in the direction of. // 8

Overall Impression: It took my two listens to get into this album. Unfortunately this is one too many to be considered "popular music". I was actually sickened at their direction and couldn't bring myself to listen to it, but when "Kaleidoscope" found its way into "shuffle" on my iPod the Pandoras box that us "Neighborhoods" was opened. Its not an album for new listeners to pop-punk and may only appeal to Blink fans. But it does show promise of the punk scene today. Most impressive songs? "MH.4.18.2011". It's the only song that even resembles the Blink-182 sound many fans first were first attracted to, catchy and fast. I can hear samples of everything from The Wombats to Green Day and U2, but your own musical interests will determine who you think this album sounds like. As I said, this album was recorded in two different studios and by two different minds. I love how Tom's new style of guitar and singing has pulled off harmony with Marks rhythmic voice and Travis' super drum technique. But this is also what I hate about the album. Too much influence from Tom and not enough Mark, and what we got from Mark is not as strong as it once was. If this album was stolen I would not buy it again, I would get it off a friend. In fact that is what I would recommend to anyone going to buy this album, to get a sample and if you like it go ahead and help the band by buying the CD. It's not for everyone though it hurts to say it, the big question is... Where will they go from here? // 6

Neighborhoods Reviewed by: ChubbaWubba69, on january 17, 2012

Sound: Blink has gone all out with the computer generated sounds and I think it sounds great. When you get a couple of songs through the album you will get the idea that Blink have grown up and so have their songs. // 9

Lyrics: Tom (guitarist/singer) is a lot more mature with the lyrics and guitar sounds and he wants to make himself heard with his new and improved voice. Mark (bassist/singer) has always been very creative with lyrics and doesn't disappoint with "Neighborhoods". // 9

Overall Impression: 01. "Ghost On The Dance Floor" - a very creative and catchy song. 02. "Natives" - one of those songs you can't get out your head. My favorite of the new album. 03. "Up All Night" - first song I heard of the new album and I love it. 04. "After Midnight" - a really well written song. One of my favorites. 05. "Snake Charmer" - one of the more complex song but still good. 06. "Hearts All Gone" - Mark spend almost 4 hours writing this song and it was well paid off. 07. "Hearts All Gone Interlude" - same as original song. 08. "Wishing Well" - Tom wrote this song really well. I want to really learn it. 09. "Kaleidoscope" - one of the best written songs on neighborhoods. Really fun and catchy. 10. "This Is Home" - another son that gets stuck in your head. 11. "MH 4.18.2011" - well played and sung. 12. "Love Is Dangerous" - very touching and understandable. 13. "Fighting the Gravity" - a very different vibe to all the other songs. When you first hear it you wont be impressed but listen to it a few time and it will grow on you. 14. "Even if she falls" - a fantastic song. Reminds me of their other song not now. // 10

Neighborhoods Reviewed by: Hazzahmatron, on april 23, 2012

Sound: Going in to this album, I was expecting something similar to their old albums, but I'm glad they have tried something new. Blink-182 have grown a lot since their last studio effort together, after the first run through of the album, I immediately picked out favorites, with "Wishing Well" being one of them. They know what the fans want but they also know where they want to go as a group, you can tell they've all agreed to take their music one step further and push themselves on in to new territory. There is great guitar work from Tom DeLonge, catchy bass lines from Mark Hoppus & soaring drums/percussion from Travis Barker. They have all incorporated their own musical influences here and it really shows, Tom does show off his other side, the musical project Angels & Airwaves comes through in some of the songs on here but luckily it fits, Travis shows off a lot of his drumming styles in here which wouldn't be out of place on a hip-hop or rock record. His style is very diverse which adds to the overall effect of the album, where Mark is probably the only member without a drastic change here. His bass lines still remain fairly simple and catchy with the odd tricky one, but his song-writing like Tom's has changed drastically and we hear a much more mature Blink-182 this time around. They've gone from traditional pop-punk and become a rock band that have left a firm footprint in the ground and have made their status as legends of modern rock. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrical content of this album differs greatly from previous releases which contained a lot of tongue-in-cheek humor. Back in the 90's and early 00's Blink-182 were famous for their humorous songs & only occasional serious songs, but this time, they're back with an album which contains adult/mature themes like: Life, Death & Love. The lyrical content in this album is really impressive, songs like "Ghost On The Dance Floor" really show off how much they've grown as lyricists not just as instrumentalists. Songs like "After Midnight" & "Even If She Falls" deal with loved ones & what goes on, they speak about the emotional bond & romance between couples as opposed to the sexual side of things. Songs like "MH 4.18.2011" are about living with fear & living under "lock and key" so to speak. The lyrical content differs with every song, there are love songs, party songs & mixture of both. Both Mark Hoppus & Tom DeLonge sing very well in each song, their vocals fit perfectly with the music as well. However, unlike previous albums where there was a balance of both, Tom DeLonge "steals the spotlight" with this album in terms of vocals but none the less will keep fans interested. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, "Neighborhoods" is a great effort considering the band had been away doing other projects for the four years they were apart. It keeps the bands core elements found in previous albums but made things fresh with a complete revamp, very few tracks sound like they could have been placed in older albums. In a way it follows the bands 2003 self-titled effort in terms of the bands ability to grow as not only people but as song-writers, it's a very mature album. Songs like "Fighting The Gravity" & "Love Is Dangerous" show off Blink-182's song writing talent, going from a pop-punk band into a band that shows they can pull off multiple genre's instead of sticking to just one that they know they are good at. If people have an open mind, they should have a good time listening, however if you're looking for another "Enema Of the State" type record you probably won't like this record as much or give it as much credit as it truly deserves. It took nearly two years to record this album and it can easily be seen. Band members all clearly knew what they were doing and what direction they wanted to go in with this album (with the best songs being "Wishing Well" & "MH 4.18.2011" (both being sung by Tom DeLonge & Mark Hoppus respectively). As for future releases, it can be debated whether or not they'll continue in this terrain of song-writing but either way, they deserve all of the credit they get. Definitely an album worth buying again if ever stolen, lost or corrupted / broken. // 8

Neighborhoods Reviewed by: randomthoughts, on may 31, 2012

Sound: Overall, not everyone is going to easily embrace this album. There isn't going to be an "Enema Of The State Part 2" or anything. Times change, musical tastes change, and more importantly bands change. This new chapter for Mark, Tom, and Travis may not be "traditional" Blink but let's be honest that was way back in the 90's. I would've been more surprised if it did sound just like old Blink. Instead I stayed completely optimistic with this album because I did not want to let myself down expecting something that simply won't happen. I will admit that it was a bit getting used to but after a few listens it starts to grow on you. It's a new, more mature band with a new sound that combines the strengths of each member and comes together in a musical homecoming. The most important aspect to note is that the hiatus is over! The new "Neighborhoods" definitely starts on a strong note with the song "Ghost On The Dance Floor". This might actually be my favorite track of the new Blink but not for reasons I would've looked for in previous Blink albums. Beginning the track with a transition of synth and Barker beats, DeLonge comes into the fold taking his former position as frontman and vocalist. The song overall has a mix of AVA influence as well as pop and rock all mixed into one. The next song, "Natives" begins with a blast from the past "Young London" style guitar riff from AVA and continues to keep an up tempo rock song vibe throughout. The quick single-esque rock songs are still retained in "Neighborhoods" with a few 3-3:30 min songs in the mix. "Up All Night", "After Midnight", and "Heart's All Gone" meet this style and definitely stand out with the latter having some of Travis' best drum arrangements in the album and in the entire Blink catalogue. He drives the song so well with an array of technical switch-ups and hi hat rides that keep the track fresh and powerful from start to finish. Not to say this is new news. Travis has always been a beast behind the kit. Not to mention he can walk away plane crashes unscathed. What a boss. One of the major problems I do have with the album is the length. The track list may be a bit too stuffed with songs and leaves a few as just filler as opposed to tracks that really bring something important to the table. I think overall the album would've been more powerful if the best of the best were kept and made an album roughly 35-40 min. However, a major positive I could give would be the fact that the recordings themselves were stellar. Some songs were polished and mixed great and others seemed to have been from a garage recording session, which I applaud them for keeping diverse and getting down to the nitty gritty. Some bands tend to lose their style when they rely on perfect studio recording versus a good old fashion sketchy session in a garage. That's like paying homage to your roots. Anyways, I applaud Blink for bringing each other's strengths together and writing a new chapter in their band's colorful history. // 8

Lyrics: Despite the major change of the band's sound and compositions, the lyrics might be the most unfamiliar. The happy upbeat song/lyrics that veteran fans could relate to have almost vanished entirely leaving a more darker list of songs that may shadow how the band felt leading up to the reformation. Death, depression, addiction seem to be prominent themes throughout the entire album which clearly effects the songs' overall feel. Despite, the gloomy shift from the bands previous canon, it's probably healthier that the band changed their sound and didn't try to force themselves back into a band that they used to be, the blink previously known as 182 in a sense. Not to give the impression that Blink has fallen into a Cure/goth-heavy gloomfest, there are a few standout positive songs that lighten up the album. Mainly "Wishing Well" and "Kaleidoscope" bring forth a nice "la da da da" type of sing-a-long that really evens out the rest of the album. "Neighborhoods" also finishes positive with "Even If She Falls" that is simply a joyful listen. The pain the band has gone through is slightly still present in the song, but the overall mood seems to give off a sense of coping to tragedy and that tomorrow will be better than today, which nicely contradicts the beginning of the album. // 8

Overall Impression: However, you view this album the fact of the matter is that the boys from Cali are back with a vengeance. They clearly put a large amount of time and work into their return and paid attention to all the small things to make it relevant in a new musical era. You would be wasting your time assuming this album is classic Blink because plain and simple it is not. The fact that Mark, Tom, and Travis made it work after differing side projects during their indefinite hiatus provides a promising future for the band and I'm looking for whatever they can dish out next. // 8

More Blink 182 reviews rating latest review