Take Off Your Pants And Jacket Review

Released: Jun 12, 2001
Genre: Rock
Tones: Silly, Playful, Fun
Style: Punk-Pop
There's too much nervous energy here, too many slight variations in the arrangements, and too many hilarious lyrics that you won't want to miss.
 Lyrics: 8.7
 9.3
 9.6
Take Off Your Pants And Jacket Reviewed by: guitargal10, on december 05, 2005

Sound: The sound is high energy filled, and goes throught a slight range emotions throughtout the cd, not a whole lot though. It's a fun upbeat CD and most teens could probably relate. It is not at all whiny and it something you would want to put on if you were really happy or just bored and want to start a good day. It has a good balance between guitar and drums, they definetly balance each other out and the bass actually can be heard on this CD. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are very well written and catchy. You can figure out what every song means, it's not one of those that are very confusing and leave you wondering. The Immatureness at times it whats makes it a great, funny record. They don't try to impress you with the lyrics like some bands do, it's the way they think and talk in real life and I like that. Blink 182 are one of the few bands that can actually pull of split vocal's and toms voice does certainly suite the music well. // 9

Overall Impression: If you you don't like powerchords and immatureness dont buy this album. If you are looking for a fun upbeat album that you can joke with then yes. This album is essential to any pop/punk or blink 182 fans collection. I definetly dont regret buying this CD and I think everyone should hear it and just lay off the harsh critism for once. You don't have to have 8 minute long guitar solos to have good music. // 9

Take Off Your Pants And Jacket Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 11, 2004

Sound: The sound on here is rele awesome. The guitar riffs by Tom (hottest guy alive) and Mark sound great. As always Travis' drum work is sum of the best ever done. Yeah, it's very different from their past albums but at least it leads up to an even bigger change in their newest one "Blink-182" I love everything about blink, there pop side and punk side. I think theyve gained sum fans by changing their style a bit. I like them either way but not everybody does. The singing rocks, Mark's smooth voice just keeps getting better and better and Tom's inproved alot (not that he ever wasn't good). Alot of people say Tom's got this whiny annoying voice but I love his voice! They've rele shown their musical talent in this album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on here are just great. Being in there late 20s and early 30s you'd think there lyrics would be alot different. I'm only 13 but I can still relate to their music. Theyve done alot of growing up because alot of the lyrics have alot of meaning to them. It kinda feels like theyre singing about wut I'm going thru with songs like "Stay Together For The Kids" and "Shutup". Those are by far my fav. songs on the album. And like I said before, singing skills are awesome. The lyrics and tune of the songs match eachother well. On "Stay Together For the Kids" it starts off real slow with the rele serious verse. Then the guitar riffs cum in. It's great. // 10

Overall Impression: I love pretty much evrythin about this album. It just sux that the hidden tracks arent on the edited version. Thats the one I have becouse my mom bought it for me. Like I said "Stay Together For the Kids," "Shutup" are the best songs. "First Date" and "Anthem Pt 2" are also awesome. If this album was lost or stolen I'd absolutely buy it again. However I'd get the non edited version. The album is different from their past work but I think its changed for the better. One thing that hasn't changed is the amount of swearing. If you don't like curse words than don't get this cuz theres tonnes of F words. You don't like it, too bad. Also for everyone who doesn't like the change theyre getting older you know. They can't be 21 forever. Respect the changes they make becouse they've got lots of talent, I'd like to see any of you go up there and do what they do. They've made it thru wen no one gave a damn about them and if sum loser out there is gunna say they suck becouse they changed a bit then I don't think it's gonna change them much. This is their career, not yours. For all you Blink 182 fans, new and old, youve rele gotta check this album out. // 10

Take Off Your Pants And Jacket Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 17, 2003

Sound: Blink has changed. For the better? I think so. I loved all the previous albums, all the fast and electrifying sounds are still great memories to me. The sound on Take off you pants and jacket was good. I like that there wasn't one dominating track, just numerous hits. This can also be detrimental to the album and it did hurt them a little. With soo many good songs on the album, at the end of listening to the whole thing, I was confused as to which one would be the first song I would skip back to. But hell, does that even matter? // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are hot. Very well developed songs. The lyrics go along so well with the riffs and licks... I have no complaints, my head was still going back and forth and my devil finger sign was still high in the air. What more can you ask for? // 10

Overall Impression: I loved it. That sums up every useless work I have previously said. I'm not a professional cd reviewer so dont let me waste your time with some bulls*** terms that I will probably make up... Insatiable, Perplexed, Intimidatingly multi-dimensional... Does anyone know what the hell those words mean, I don't... If you don't have this album at the top of your cd collection, you are missing out on the wonder that is Blink 182! // 10

Take Off Your Pants And Jacket Reviewed by: Klausi, on february 24, 2004

Sound: It's the same good old Blink sound but a bit more professional, and a bit experimental. They didn't spend much time on writing this album but I think it is very good. Though most people dislike it, I love it. Catchy tunes and everything a blink fan should want. I can't hear those comments like "the good old songs are better" because a band develops and if you're a fan of what they've done in the past, you have to say "I was a Blink fan" not "I am a Blink fan". // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are really good. On this record there are tracks for every mood: happiness, sadness, loneliness... even critical songs like "Anthem pasrt 2" and "give me one good reason" are on the cd. Very well! // 10

Overall Impression: I love this album, it's probably my favorite album of Blink 182. My favorite song is Give me one good reason, but all the songs are good. There are no songs that I skip, so you can listen to the full record to get a good feeling. The bonus tracks are also very cool, and different to other Blink songs. The joke songs are sounds of Blink like you never heard them before. All I can say is great! // 10

Take Off Your Pants And Jacket Reviewed by: Donkey Fly, on december 06, 2005

Sound: On Blink 182's first 2 albums, Cheshire Cat and Dude Ranch, They were classified as pop punk really, but after this album they are now a punk rock band. It is rally an impressive album, all the songs are great and you wont get bored in a hurry. They have matured alot and there sound has really improved. There 4 secret tracks at the end of the album are hilarious but you will have to buy the album to find out more bout them. There is an obvious sound of Green Day in a couple of the songs, so if your a Green Day fan, you'll love this album. There are some great guitar riffs on here that are easy to play so if you play guitar, this album is worth buying. Mark's bass lines are pretty samey, there's nothing like Carousel on here. Travis has really improved, he is an amazing drummer as you will see on this album. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are amazing and funny. Tom and Mark ahve really improved on song writing. The lyrics are catchy and are simple. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said before if your a Green Day fan, you will like this album, even if you're not you will like this album. The best songs on here are First Date, Stay Together For The Kids, Reckless Abandon and Please Take Me Home. If it was lost I wouldn't buy another but that's only cause I have it on my computer, but I would try and get another copy if I lost it all. // 10

Take Off Your Pants And Jacket Reviewed by: 360ollie, on may 26, 2006

Sound: Blink 182 are a punk band (although they have split up). The 3 members are Tom (guitar and vocals), Mark (bass and vocals), Travis (drummer). This album is my second favourite album from Blink 182 (Greatest Hits is my favourite), this is, because it has Rock Show and First Date but it aslo has Story Of A Lonely Guy and Rollercoaster. Rock Show and first date are fast paced songs, but Rollercoaster and Story Of A Lonely Guy are more slow. // 10

Lyrics: Both Tom and Mark sing, so this adds to the whole punk look. Personally I don't think they sound that different in some songs you can't tell who sings which adds to the effect. The lyrics are so so funny, they sing about loads of funny different things, such as getting dumped, prom disasters, and some things a lot ruder. Also the lyrics really go with the mostly fast paced music. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I have said this is my second favourite blink 182 album (the greatest hits is the best). The best songs are The Rock Show, First Date, Stay Together For The Kids, Rollercoaster, Story Of A Lonely Guy and The Anthem Part 2. You can find a lot of the songs on this album on the Greatest Hits as it's such a great album. If I lost it I would definately buy it again (even though I have all the songs on my iPod). // 10

Take Off Your Pants And Jacket Reviewed by: Tster, on march 26, 2007

Sound: The music has matured a bit since 'Enema of the State' but does that mean it's a crappy album? Hell no! These guys are so talented and it shows on this album. The timing is great and they have really thought about it. The guitar riffs are excellent and in full this album is above the rest. This album is really original and is a must buy. There style of music is so great you need this album. // 10

Lyrics: Once again this is one of the things that make them stand out. Their lyrics go over the old stuff, teenager sort of stuff even though the music has matured a bit. Mark and Tom sing and I gotta say that both of their voices are amazing and go with the tune of the guitar really well. // 10

Overall Impression: This probably isn't their best album but that doesn't mean it's not rockin' it out cause it is! This album is amazing. No one can touch Blink 182 they are so good, they keep pushing that bar higher and higher. Once again every song on the album is awesome and worth a look at. These songs are the man! They are just so good. I love everything about it and would defiantly buy it again if it was lost or stolen. // 10

Take Off Your Pants And Jacket Reviewed by: Emenius Sleepus, on january 27, 2004

Sound: The sound, within the confinement of where Blink 182 was when they wrote the record is fairly impressive and goes along with their brand. It was, however somewhat formulaic - or, rather, it kept to the boundaries set for Blink by Enema Of The State, which didn't do Delonge or Hoppus justice. Stand-out track for me is Stay Together For The Kids, as sonically it's dynamic and pleasing, with quiet and melodic verses and wall-of-sound anthemic choruses. It's also the most serious song on the record, read on for the details. // 8

Lyrics: As song-writers (lyrically) I was usually impressed with Blink's skills in this area. Although the topics are few (even the band admits that, demonstrating that that is their aim, in which they succeed), Blink has usually managed to write clever lyrics with more complex lines and really funny jokes. Whether they were appealing to 13-year olds, or amusing themselves, or whatever, I don't know. But lyrics were better. Just plain smarter. TOYPAJ hasn't lived up in this department. As I said before, Stay Together for the Kids is a real standout track, because of renowned Blink quality tp write somewhat simple, yet clever and powerful lyrics regardless of the topic. And Anthem Part Two, and track 11 (can't remember the name) are good as well. Fuck A Dog, despite it's ridiculousness, is funny to an extent. But that's where the virtues of lyrics end. Everything else is just plain, blunt and to the point - yawn. Just damn boring to listen to. And because Delonge is by no means Jimmy Page or Jade Puget (in style at least - he's good, I like him as a guitarist, but he is different "good"), the songs end up a bit like lullabys. They put you to sleep. // 4

Overall Impression: As I said several times already, Stay Together... has been my favourite song, both musically and lyrically, as well as vocally. Overall, however, a very disappointing effort from otherwise a great band. If someone did steal it, I'd probably buy it again, and beat the crap out of the motherf***er who did it, but only because stealing is wrong and for the sake of the collection of blink cd's that I own. I really expected better. (just a note, the follow-up self-titled album by the trio is 500% improvement. Get it!) // 6

Take Off Your Pants And Jacket Reviewed by: Publicservices, on april 06, 2004

Sound: Here's how it goes, this is great album, I still wish that their songs were a little more mature but I guess thats blink for you. But their songs are still very catchy. Some of the better songs on the album are, Reckless Abandon and Story of a Lonely Guy. The guitar and bass riffs are still very simple but I love Toms solos. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are dilightfully immature. Good for any fan of Good Charlotte or Sum 41 (not Sum 41 as much). But there also is alot of unnecessary swearing on the cd, in my opinion they just like to swear, like alot of 15 year olds I know. // 6

Overall Impression: All together this is an awesome album. Tradtional pop punk at it's best. As much as blink fans don't want to admit it, Blink is right in there with Good Charlotte, New Found Glory and Sum 41. The twisted thing is you can also like other older punk stuff and their still catchy. For example my favorate bands are Rancid and The Misfits, and yet (as most other Rancid fans would just turn their back and say "whatever, their posers") I have 2 of blinks albums and do not think their posers in any way. They make good music, and are good musians. If it was stolen I would go out and buy it again right away. // 8

Take Off Your Pants And Jacket Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 25, 2004

Sound: No matter how hard Blink fans try to put them there, Blink is mostly not in the same category as Green Day, NOFX, Rancid, and The Offspring. Their sound leans towards the more radio friendly, kid accessible sounds of bands such as New Found Glory, Good Charlotte, Yellowcard, and Simple Plan. Theres some songs that are uber fast (Rollercoaster, Reckless Abandon), some songs that are slow in the verses but uber fast in the chorus (Story Of A Loney Guy, Stay Together For The Kids), and some songs that are mid paced in the verses but still get uber fast in the chorus. Its the fast pace that helps this album stay interesting, and while every song may sound the same, it's still enjoyable to listen to. Travis Barker is undeniably the best drummer out there right now, the song "Happy Holidays You Bastard" showcases this the best, and this is definetly a must have album for drummers. // 8

Lyrics: Nothing too amazing here, most of the songs revolve around girls/relationships but there are some nice breaks here and there, such as the opening song - Anthem Pt. II. This is basically a teen angst song, with the powerful lyric "If we're f--ed up your to blame". Theres also a Christmas angst song (no joke), a song about divorce (like I said, this album is accessible for kids say 10 years or older, as long as you get the edited one for those under 13), and a song about not fitting into crowds. Oh yeah, and one song about having sex with a dog that's a good song to blast on a nice long family road trip. // 8

Overall Impression: Like I said, don't listen to that skater punk at your school that groups Blink in with bands like Green Day, NOFX, Rancid, and The Offspring. Blink is a slightly poppier, more radio accessible band compared to the bands mentioned above. If you don't mind that, and your up for a good album with some excellent drumwork and a nice, speedy pace, then this is for you. // 8

Take Off Your Pants And Jacket Reviewed by: derek5, on may 01, 2006

Sound: This CD pretty much marks Blink 182's change from punk to pop. However, change can be good sometimes and this is one of those times. T.O.Y.P.A.J is an excellent album with plenty of funny songs (Happy Holidays, Story Of A Lonely Guy, and Give Me One Good Reason), meaningful songs (Anthem Part Two and Stay Together For The Kids), and just plain catchy songs (First Date and The Rock Show). I personly believe this is their third best album yet. Everybody has something to like on this album. However, many will argue that blink's sound was better before. Unfortunately, I am one of those people, so I'll have to give it an 8. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrics have never been a strong point in Blink 182's music. Many of their songs are full of stupid and absolutely meaningless words. Although certain songs have been spectacular in this department (Adam's Song, I'm Sorry, and Anthem), the majority is the above. That is why I welcome this change to much better lyrics. Songs like Stay Together For The Kids and Anthem Part Two have excellent lyrics filled with compasion and emotion. However certain songs like Happy Holidays and Give Me One Good Reason bump down the standard. This leaves me to put a 9. // 9

Overall Impression: Like I said before, this is not blink's best album but it is still a great album. If I lost this album, I would definetly buy it again. The only thing I hate about it is the language. Can't they find a better word to use than the F-word? // 8

Take Off Your Pants And Jacket Reviewed by: Zell182, on september 01, 2006

Sound: The sound in this album is pretty much the same as Enema of the state but a little more clean and better-played. It has a much better sound quality than Buddha, Cheshire Cat or Dude Ranch for obvious recording reasons and it is pretty much in your face with songs like 'Anthem part II' and 'stay together for the kids'. The power chords are less frequent and some good intros and a few solos make the sound a bit more varied than the other albums. The drums add a quality to the album that is usually unheard of with most Punk bands with their monotone pounding (NOFX, The Offspring etc.) A good, upbeat sound that anyone can enjoy even if they pretend they don't. // 9

Lyrics: The Lyrics don't really have that much meaning or even a political twist to them(except Anthem Part II and Stay Together For The Kids) but they are catchy and easy to remember and they fit well with the music. The switching from Tom to Mark's voice in each song adds variety to the songs which not many other bands can do. Mark's songs tend to have more meaning and melody to them than Tom's but Tom's are the catchy ones which make god singles. Overall quite good but not deep or meaningful except for the named few. // 6

Overall Impression: This is the best Blink 182 album just above Enema Of The State because of the overall quality of the songs, not one bad song on the album. Everyone who owns this album can say they like it even if they don't like Blink 182 that much. Everyone who was quite young (11-14) when this came out will remeber it for a log time. The songs are all good but do start to repeat a bit at about song 8 or 9. Overall any blink fan should own it and if you like pop/punk in general then you should own it. If it was lost I would certainly buy it again. // 9

Take Off Your Pants And Jacket Reviewed by: actaderock, on july 27, 2009

Sound: First of all, I remember this on my uncle's CD library back when I was a little kid, probably since it was out. The cover really brought up my attention and I read ''Blink 182'' and didn't know those were the guys that played that awesome song All The Small Things. I love the album title, just because of it's connotation, Take off your pants and Jacket, doesn't necessarly mean the leather jacket, LOL. This is the top of Blink's carrer with Enemma of The State. This was a transition between the old fun pop punk blink and the serious blink, but this is not boring for sure (have you ever seen the videos of first date or the rock show, they are funny). Some of the songs are the perfect mix between pop and punk, others are cool ballads. // 9

Lyrics: If anyone made lyrics like these guys, they'd be rick and famous. That's all I have to say about the lyrics, examples are First Date and Story of a Lonely Guy. The music fit's pretty well together, First Date was the best song by Blink musically before I Miss You came. There are other impressive ones, like Stay Together for The Kids. These guys can make really pleasent harmonies when they double vocal each other, Mark is almost a god and Tom is a really good studio singer (and was a good live singer until 2005, his vocals in the 2009 reunion suck). // 9

Overall Impression: This was the golden era of pop punk, these were really good times, like you as an 8 year old in elementary school and seeing the 12th grade guys playing blink songs... this brings me way too much good memories. It is one of the best albums of the decade, top 5. Stay Together for the Kids, Reckless Abandon and Roller Coaster are impressive, but nothing like First Date. Sincerly, I don't hate anything about it. If it was stolen or lost I wouldn't buy it again, cause I love the variety in life and perhaps I'd buy their new record. // 10

Take Off Your Pants And Jacket Reviewed by: dilligaf372, on august 03, 2009

Sound: The sound on this album seems to have matured a little bit from Enema of the State, althought structure of songs seemed to have retained the same structure. Tom Delonge apears to have found the clean chanel on his amp, and uses it to create slow opening for powerful songs (Reckless Abandon, Anthem Part 2), or just beautiful mellow peices (Stay Together for the Kids)and soft verses (Rollercoster). That does not, by any means, mean that this is a slow album. Delonge apears to have goneout of his way to have more than simply powerchords and octaves as the basis for his tunes, all the classic simplicity of Blink is still there, with tracks like Everytime I Look for you and Online Songs. Mark Hoppus's Bass playing is a little more complex, and a great compensation for the lack of rythem guitar. Don't get me wrong, Enema of the State was a great album, all Take Off Your Pants and Jacket does is take everything that was great about its predesessor and make them better. // 9

Lyrics: There are many instant classics on this album. Other than the singles, (The Rock Show, First Date and Stay Together for the Kids), Take Off also contains Anthem Part 2, Reckless Abandon, and Story of a Lonely Guy. The lyrics speak out to their teen audience, covering a rebeliousness (Anthem Part 2), broken hearts (Story of a Lonely Guy, divorce (Stay Together For the Kids), and teenage runaways (Shut Up). And it just wouldn't be a Blink album without their typical toilet humor, and 43 second Happy Holidays you Bastard is certainly a standout on the album. // 10

Overall Impression: This album, although no where near as creative as their follow up album "blink-182", is possibly Blink's best yet. It's one of the few albums I will constantly listen to from start to finish, and each song has the power and energy we've all come to expect from these californian punk rockers. A definate must for any punk rock fans. // 10

Take Off Your Pants And Jacket Reviewed by: lshaddock, on december 24, 2010

Sound: Amazing album in all sounds great and has amazing songs on there too. Obviously another mess around album from blink 182 as you can tell from the album. Definately in the top three of their albums (But personally it's my favourite). This album is a typical Blink 182 album with pop punk songs on here which are really good sounding. I got the special edition album where it has a few more extra songs like I wanna F*** a dog in the a**. Also it has a music video of man overboard which is really good quality. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics compiled together by Tom Delonge and Mark Hoppus may sometimes come over a bit immature especially tracks like happy holidays you b******, and I wanna F*** a dog in the a**, but if you listen to them enough times it starts to get a bit catchy. All blink 182's songs on this album are great with amazing lyrics and I think the only album which comes close to this is Enema of the state. Although Tom is not well liked singing live on the CD his voice is amazing and Mark's voice is always perfect. // 10

Overall Impression: As I mentioned earlier this is probably one of the best album along with enema of the state, that Blink 182 has made. My favourite songs from the album gotta be First date, the rock show, and I wanna F*** a dog in the a**. Love everything there is about the album as it has not faults and is just pure genious. If I lost this album I would definately go out and buy a replacement immediatley thats how much I love and listen to it. // 10

More Blink 182 reviews rating latest review