La Mia Vita Violenta Review

blonde redhead: La Mia Vita Violenta
Release Date: Sep 4, 1995
Label: Smells Like Records
Genres: Indie rock
The music achieved here reminds us of early Sonic Youth and Joy Division, mixing elements of English post-punk, NY's noise rock/no wave scene and adding an ejoyable personal touch.
 8.5
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
La Mia Vita Violenta Reviewed by: TaV0, on february 26, 2009

Sound: Blonde Redhead is by far one of the most interesting bands now a days, mixing melodic guitar riffs with dissonant chord progressions and atonalities, with an eerie, yet sweet voice singing introspective lyrics, thus, developing an unique sound; Although an original sound at some points of the album, some songs resemble of early Sonic Youth, Joy Division and Fugaz; which comes as no surprise, after all, Steve Shelley (drummer of tne influent band Sonic Youth) was the one who discovered this incredible band intrigued by their sound and produced their first album (the eponymus "Blonde Redhead"). La Mia Vita Violenta (My Violent Life, in Italian)is a solid rock album, 38 minutes of pure musical quality. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics, despite not being properly the core of the album, match perfectly the sound accomplished in it, at some points they're full of angst, dealing with frustration and even mellancholy, feelings that the listener can really relate to, mainly because of the emphasis that band put on their voices while singing. But don't let this rough description fool you, by no means this is a sad album, ... yet not a happy one; As the title says so, it's lyrics relate to life, everyday life, ups and lows, a violent life perhaps. The singing qualities of Kazu Makino (lead singer/guitar) are impressive, she gives that sweet high pitched tone to the songs without stealing bandmate's Amedeo F. Pace (lead guitar/ voice) thunder, because he also shows up his incredible singing skills. // 7

Overall Impression: If stolen or damaged I would definetly buy this album again, and perhaps once in the music store, buy another Blonde Redhead's album. As stated before the music achieved here reminds us of early Sonic Youth and Joy Division, mixing elements of English post-punk, NY's noise rock/no wave scene and adding an ejoyable personal touch. I highly recommend tracks 1,2,9 and 10, c'est dire, "(I Am Taking Out My Eurotrash) I Still Get Rocks Off", "Violent Life", "10 Feet High" and "Jewel" // 8

More Blonde Redhead reviews rating latest review