Red Harvest Review

bloodsimple: Red Harvest
Release Date: Oct 30, 2007
Label: Reprise
Genres: Rock
Bloodsimple have stepped up to the plate and delivered something as intense as their debut, while keeping it fresh and interesting.
 Lyrics: 8.5
 9.2
 8.5
 9.8
Red Harvest Reviewed by: ParkerScks, on february 11, 2008

Sound: Normally when a metal or rock band gain a reputation they either go one way or the other. They get worse slowly weakening, or they get stronger and you can watch them go threw there career, and watch there talents grow. When vision of disorder split in 2002, Tim Williams and Mike Kennedy Went on to form blood simple, and the 2005 album a cruel world was released. Showing that the two still had a lot of ideas and creativity left in em. When I first herd the album it made a huge impact, I just couldn't wait for the next one to be released and after 2 long years of jamming on guitar and just listening loads of music (and the a cruel world album like every other day) it finally hit the shelves, and my dam town sucks so much It wasn't there. Anyway when I got my hands on it I was not in the least bit disappointed, infact I was blown away. For those of you who have never herd a song buy the band the music tends to be very basic but never the less effective, the songs flow from the first second all way threw to the last and there is never ever a dull moment. The music style now days would fall under metal core and if ure an anti trends type then I strongly recommend dropping the attitude and listening this album. Bloodsimple have kept there old elements, but they have improved and only got stronger, there is more melody to this album and something that has never quite been done before fan of country music? Why do I say this? Well in some parts of songs tim (vocalist) breaks out into a low groggy dark voice and speaks a short storey and the music will slowly become more intense and then you'll get this explosion of rage and anger witch just fits so well with The guitar work, it is brilliant! They have started to experiment with solos now, witch are quite good and there are more leads compared to the last album. They have not really changed the tone of the guitars too much, over all they do sound heavier. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics follow the storey of a book wrote in 1929 buy a man named Dashiell Hammett. It is a gangster sort of book. A Continental Op is called to Personville buy a dude called Donald Willson, who is killed befor the op gets there, the op begins work on the case straight away and meats with willsons father who invited gangs into his city to resolve a labour dispute. To find out more go here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Harvest. The thing that is good about the lyrics is tho you may never have read the book, you may never intend to eather, the lyrics can be related to and you can make the song your own. // 9

Overall Impression: This album has definitely set bloodsimple apart from what anyone else is doing right now. Personally for me this is the best release of 2007, and definitely one for the top 10 albums wrote over the past 10 years. There are a lot of different songs on here made to suit different tastes, So there will be a track on there for you somewhere. The high lights for me would have to be ride with me, dark helmet, out to get you, and the track that stands out as the only mellow song Truth (Thicker Than Water) if you liked there other mellow songs from a cruel world you will cry when you hear that one and I don't care if that sounds like I'm an emo it's a touching song. Well your probably wondering what the down falls are? Nope there is none what so ever it's well produced when they play live they will blow you away definitely a band to catch if there near you. There are no boring songs no boring parts or nothing just nothing to criticize but that's my opinion, so listen to it and see if you agree or not! If this album was stolen of me I'd fined out who did it and totally paste my home town in there blood. // 10

Red Harvest Reviewed by: Skalokos, on january 12, 2009

Sound: This album is one of those weird enigmas we have ALL experienced. You get an album because one song on it is so great (in this case, Dead Man Walking), and just guess what the rest are-boring, uneventful and bad. The aforementioned Dead Man Walking his pretty cool heavy metal, not ground-breaking, but cool. The rest are so weak I could barely catagorize them as "rock". It saddens me a little, it had potential. // 7

Lyrics: In the one song I like, I can't say that the lyrics I payed attention to were very fancy, mostly just about killing. The vocals are just low-grade screaming, but it passes in my opinion. The other songs have similar vocals to this one, so yeah. They work very well with the subject matter, and it flows nicely. It is comparable to a low-grade Corey Taylor of Slipknot. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, this isn't a very impressive album. It's so "bargain-bin" it's repulsive. The one song I liked, Dead Man Walking, is just worth buying on iTunes since this album is so weak. This kind of stuff happens all the time, but I can hate it because I still like ONE song, so that's about it. Buy that one song, but leave the rest unpurchased. // 7

Comments