The Machinations Of Dementia Review

9.5
 9.2
 9.8
The Machinations Of Dementia Reviewed by: tomvidar, on january 29, 2008

Sound: Blotted Science is unlike anything you've heard. It is an instrumental, psychotic, mind bending and atonal masterwork. Litterally. This is the work of Ron Jarzombek (Watchtower, Spastic Ink), Alex Webster (Cannibal Corpse) and Charlie Zeleny (Behold The Arctopus)and the combination is a brutal and totally agressive progressive work. The music is though, not just extreme and full of agression. It has lot's of breaks with more mellow dream-like melodies (if I dare call it melodies if atonal). There is also synths in the music. You will hear those in the mellower passages I mentioned where they build a wall of athmosphere. And it's worth to mention that the athmosphere is not cheering. It's cold, psychotic and fits perfectly to the theme of the album. Brain disorders. // 9

Lyrics: There are no lyrics in this album, but I believe the song titles should tell enough about the songs themselves. The titles fit very well into the music. The songs are composed conceptually and it works very very well. I can't really think of this album with vocals. It just wouldn't be the same. // 9

Overall Impression: With Ron Jarzombeks driving rythms and psychotic lead lines, Alex Websters heartpounding basslines and Charlie Zelenys incredibly well done drums, this is not your average tech-metal album. Songs like EEG Tracings, Brain Fingerprinting and The Insomniac are totally worth the album themselves. It is worth to mention that the songs Adenosine Buildup and Adenosine Breakdown is the same songs, with the clever difference that Adenosine Breakdown is Adenosine Buildup played backwards! I myself, ordered this cd, but I got a message from the webshop that it would take a week to get it on stock, so I just bought it on iTunes because I couldn't wait. Oh, it was worth it. There is nothing I really don't like about this album, though some of the songs may be short. But still, this may well be 2007's most original metal release! If you're into progressive/tech metal of the extreme type, this may be your perfect purchase! // 10

The Machinations Of Dementia Reviewed by: thrashnmosh782, on january 13, 2010

Sound: I first became aware of this band through Cannibal Corpse's "Centuries of Torment" DVD. They had mentioned that Alex Webster (one of metal's greatest bassists) was in a progressive extreme metal band with Ron Jarzombek and Charlie Zeleny. This sounded intriguing, so I went online and searched for any possible Blotted Science tunes I could stream. I came across the first track off the album, "Synaptic Plasticity" and started listening to it. Within the first 2 minutes of the song, I was completely stunned by the level of musicianship, and psychotic technicality of the song. It was composed of some of the wierdest, complex riffs and time signatures that I had ever listened to in music. I was hooked. So I downloaded the rest of the album, and the other tunes were equally mind-bending in technicality and stunning in musicianship. Songs like "EEG Tracings", "Laser Lobotomy" and "Bleeding in the Brain" are jaw-dropping. // 9

Lyrics: There are no lyrics on the album. But really, there doesn't need to be. All of the song titles are brain disorders and mental conditions ("Amnesia", "Night Terror"). If there were lyrics on the album, I think they would have detracted from the amazing music. // 9

Overall Impression: Ron Jarzombek is one sick bastard to write music son insane. Truly. Blotted Science are ao unique compared to other progressive metal bands. My favourite songs from this album are "Synaptic Plasticity", "Laser Lobotomy", "Oscillation Cycles", and "The Insomniac". I can't think of a single thing I dislike about this album. If you haven't heard of this band, Check Them Out! // 9

Comments