13 Review

blur: 13
Released: March 15, 1999
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Pop/Rock, Britpop, Indie Pop
13's strange, frustrating combination of expert musicianship and self-indulgence reveals the sound of a band trying to find itself.
 9.4
 9.3
 9.5
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
13 Reviewed by: guitarplayer_87, on june 01, 2004

Sound: The whole albums sounds different which also goes along with their new album Think Tank. From the gentle opening "Tender" which is very beautiful with a chorus of singers and Damons voice echoes through every note. Going from this lovely song "Tender" to a guitar fuzz-filled song called "Bugman". Then going to nice "road trip" song called "Coffee & Tv" with Damons falestto making this song one of the highlights of the album. Those were the best songs of the album and the other songs are great too. Except for the dull closer which leaves you wanting more. Which is alright but it leaves you with a question of what the next album will be. Since we know what the new album is like I think the question has been answered justly. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album, for the most part, are simple. With the opener "Tender" theres only a couple of words in it and you will be singing along in no time. I would've preffered them writing the lyrics in the cover book like they did in "think Tank" but sometimes with this album it's just nice to sit back and just listen. Damon does do a great job ,though, especially with "Coffee & Tv" which i think is one of his best works. // 8

Overall Impression: I think this a great album. To me it's not their best. I prefer "Think Tank" over 13 because "Think Tank" has more good songs. With 13 ,however, there are songs that will go down in history. Tender i believe is the most beautiful song I've ever heard. This is a must have for anyone. No matter what genre you're into "13" will leave amazed. // 10

More Blur reviews rating latest review
+ Parklive 8.6 11/30/2012