Think Tank Review

Styles: Britpop, Alternative Pop/Rock
 8.9
 8.7
Think Tank Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 24, 2003

Overall Impression: I'll be honest. When I heard that Graham Coxon had left Blur I really didn't want to like the new album. I felt that it would be hollow, and almost pointless without Graham's amazing guitar contribution. But when i heard Think Tank for the first time, it was not a bad album at all. In fact, I would go as far as to place it in the top 3 albums out so far in 2003, along with The White Stripes and Radiohead. The album opens with "Ambulance", which, along with "Brothers and Sisters" has many of the features associated with the Gorillaz style. After this poppy start it heads into the first single, "Out of Time", which is a definite strong point of the album. "Crazy Beat" is set to be the second single, bringing back memories of Song 2. The guitars mixed with Albarn's "Yeah Yeah Yeah's" make this a head banging classic, which could quite possibly bring Blur back to the forefront of international popular music. The rest of the album passes in soulfilled chill outs, the likes of "Good Song", "Caravan" and "Sweet Song." In my mind the albums best song is its closing track, "Battery in Your Leg." This is the only song on the album to feature Graham Coxon, whose lamenting guitars mixed with Damon's cracking voice make this a very humblying song. All in all this is a very good album, well worth getting. And watch out for the (very well) hidden track. Skip back before track one to here it. Bizarre. // 8

Think Tank Reviewed by: Esben, on february 02, 2004

Sound: The style varies from hard rock, to weird-sounding african sounds, to almost everything else! Every single song on this album is great. After their guitarist left, they had to be more creative. It results in a very cool sound. They use the bass guitar as a lead-instrument, and its cool. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are really strange, but they are cool. I love the names on the tracks like, "Good song". The lyrics suit the tracks well. // 10

Overall Impression: I think this is the best album release of 2003. It gets better every time you listen to it, and I do it almost every day. I can't live without it. If you havent bought it yet, what are you waiting for? Get going! // 10

More Blur reviews rating latest review
+ Parklive 8.6 11/30/2012