Blood On The Tracks Review

bob dylan: Blood On The Tracks
Release Date: Jan 17, 1975
Label: Columbia
Genres: Singer/Songwriter, Folk-Rock, Album Rock
Dylan made albums more influential than this, but he never made one better.
 9.3
 9.7
 8.9
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Blood On The Tracks Reviewed by: bassplayer496, on november 06, 2006

Sound: In the mid sixties, Bob Dylan released albums such as highway 61 revisited and bringing it all back home that went away from his folky sound and went to a more electrick rock n' roll sound. This album, released in 1975, is I think all acoustic. It goes to a more folk/pop sound and the instruments have good production. Upon listening to it, unlike many bands, the main focus of this is clearly Bob Dylans singing. Although Bob Dylan doesn't have a great or even really a good voice, it goes along beautifully with the music. Bob Dylan rants his poetry throughout this brilliant album. // 9

Lyrics: As I'm sure you've heard, Bob Dylan is truly one of the greatest lyrics writers of all time. The lyrics range from wrung-dry good bye of "If you see her, say hello" to the slow existentialist jewel "simple twist of fate" to the put down song "Idiot Wind" Really, his lyrics are poetry put into song. If you really pay attention to what he's saying, you will quickly realize that Bob Dylan is a brilliant poet. He is often considered the great lyricist of all time, and if he's not the best, he certainly comes close. // 10

Overall Impression: 01. Tangled Up In Blue - Dylan once introduced this song on stage as taking him ten years to live and two years to write. This song is about his collapsed marriage to Sara Lowndes, which partially inspired the entire album. This is a six minute long acoustic song, and is my favorite song on the album, and probably my favorite Bob Dylan song. It's up beat and a song you can listen to over and over. 02. Simple Twist Of Fate - a slower acoustic song, and probably the most personal song on the album. This song has a great chorus, and is another one of the best songs from the album. Also quite sad. 03. You're A Big Girl Now - a heart breaking, haunting ballad. I think this is probably the most under realized song on the album, a truly great ballad about a woman who must move on, but it doesn't seem Dylan wants her to. A beautiful, great song. 04. Idiot Wind - a song that resembles "Like A Rolling Stone" quite closely. A put down song, and also quite long, around seven minutes long. Once again, one of my favorites from the album, has more of a rock feeling than most of the other songs from the album. 05. You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go - and upbeat folk song, although it sounds like a song talking about a bad break up, it seems more like a hopeful song to me. Not one of my favorites, but still very good. 06. Meet Me In The Morning - a very bluesy track, once again, not a fovorite, but still a very good song that's fun to listen to. It's also in some ways connected to the next track. 07. Lily, Rosemary, And The Jack Of Hearts - a nine minute long track, and another one of my favorites. A long, narrative song, also with a sort of rock feeling to it. It has some of the best lyrics of the album, and despite it's sheer length, it doesn't ever get boring or dragging. 08. If You See Her, Say Hello - although it's not a bad song, it's probably my least favorite on the album. A song about a someone torn apart by a break up who takes out his anger on himself. 09. Shelter From The Storm - an Upbeat song, and One of the best from the album. One thing I love about this song that most of the other songs don't have is really good bass lines. This is another song you can listen to a few times over and not get sick of it. Although it has a very simple melody and few chords, this is a fantastic song. 10. Buckets Of Rain - another upbeat song, but somewhat depressing. This song is a really good way to end the album. Of all the songs on the cd, this is probably the most fitting one to end. In Rolling stone magazines 500 Greatest albums, they have this as number sixteen. They have it as Dylans third best album, after Highway 61 Revisited, as number four, and Blonde On blonde, as number nine. Also by Dylan in the list is Bringing it All Back Home, as number 31, The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan as number 97, Desire as number 174, John wesley Harding as number 301, Time Out of Mind as number four hundred eight, and Love and theft as number 467. It also has Bob Dylan and the band (the band name is "The Band") with the basement tapes as number 291. Also, when Rolling stone Magazine Did the 500 greatest songs of all time, they have "Tangled Up In Blue" As number 68. This might be my favorite Bob Dylan album, if not it would be my second or third favorite. My favorite albums by him are Highway 61 Revisited, Blonde on Blonde, Blood On the Tracks, Bringing it all back home, and Love and Theft. This is truly one of the greatest albums of all time, a great folk rock album. Buy it, if you have any remote interest in Bob Dylan or even classic rock in general, you will love it. // 10

More Bob Dylan reviews rating latest review
+ MTV Unplugged 8.9 11/01/2013
+ Tempest 8.7 09/11/2012
+ The Original Mono Recordings 9.5 03/08/2011
+ Bob Dylan 8.3 07/23/2009
+ The Bootleg Series Vol. 4: Bob Dylan Live 1966, The "Royal Albert Hall" Concert 9.1 06/24/2009
Comments