Highway 61 Revisited Review

bob dylan: Highway 61 Revisited
Released: Aug 30, 1965
Label: Columbia
Genre: Rock
Styles: Rock & Roll, Singer/Songwriter, Folk-Rock, Blues-Rock, Album Rock, Pop/Rock
Dylan was virtually gushing great songs when this masterpiece arrived in the summer of 1965.
 9.9
 9.7
Highway 61 Revisited Reviewed by: lennon9dylan, on june 30, 2005

Sound: This is the album that changed everything. That first blast of organ in the opening track "Like A Rolling Stone" seems to introduce what the rest of the album delivers: sheer brilliance. Sonically, this is an album that put to rest the question of whether or not Bob Dylan had really switched to an electric rock sound. The album has a bluesy feel on tracks like "It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry," pure raw rock on ones like "Tombstone Blues," and melodic rock on "Queen Jane Approximately." Soaring organs or banging pianos blast away on nearly every track and Bobby Gregg on drums keeps the songs tight and rollin'. Rolling basslines are produced from Harvey Goldstein and Russ Savakus, especially well on "From A Buick 6." The acoustic guitars are played furiously as if the strings are about to bust off and the electric guitar leads from Michael Bloomfield are masterful (most notably on "Tombstone Blues"). The last track "Desolation Row" is pure acoustic and seems to be both poignant and a slap in the face to all the folk artists who disapproved of his new sound. Even a toy siren is used, to kick off the title track. Recorded in only 6 days, Highway 61 Revisited has a banging, rough, driving, energetic sound that keeps your feet tapping and head bobbing. // 10

Lyrics: Bob Dylan is unquestionably the greatest lyricist of all time, and diplays his talent well in Highway 61 Revisited. However, the lyrics on this album are different than those of his earlier ones. They do not focus as much on politics or social commentaries, with the exception being "Like A Rolling Stone." Instead, they are surreal and very fitting for the times in which they were written (1965). His poetic words flow well, create images in your head, and give us all a much wider vocabulary. He references all kinds of historical icons and oddball characters from Cinderella to the Hunchback of Notre Dame. The lyrics can be compared nowadays to those of artists like Beck. Dylan is his usual self (sarcastic and snide) on "Like A Rolling Stone" which talks about a once rich person who finds himself amongst the people he had ridculed before (the poor). The lyrics on all tracks flow very well with the song and add to the atmosphere of each one. Lyrically, there is not another artist who compares with Bob Dylan. As for the singing, I personally love it. I think it is very expressive, raw, and real, but Dylan has had his critics. // 10

Overall Impression: Highway 61 Revisited is the best album by one of the most influential and talented solo acts, and it deserves to be ranked among the likes of Sgt. Peppers, Are You Experienced?, or anything else. The best songs on the album (hard to choose) are "Like A Rolling Stone," "Tombstone Blues," "Ballad Of A Thin Man," "Highway 61 Revisited" and "Desolation Row." In Highway 61 Revisited I love the raw rock sound, incomparable lyrics, and Dylan's singing. If lost or stolen there's no doubt that I would buy it again, and I recommend it to anyone and everyone that wants their mind to be opened and loves good music. // 10

Highway 61 Revisited Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 15, 2006

Sound: The sound was what changed everything even though it was not extremely innovative because you could clearly see influences such as Woody Gunthrie but it is still one of the best albums ever made. The sound defined a generation of the mid '60s and won over critics by all standards. But most of all the sound is what Bob Dylan is known for which is sometimes filled with soul and other times filled with dread. You cannot get a better folk artist today that has changed your opinion on music. // 10

Lyrics: Quite simply put, Bob Dylan is a poetic genius that shatters your bones as tear drops come out of your eyes. He could be a poet because of his songs which in my opinion are ballads that contain many similes and metaphors to what has happened in his life. Dylan clearly puts us in situations that we have never experience but are anxious to try again all thanks to his words of wisdom. // 10

Overall Impression: In my opinion the best album ever made which has obviously influenced many other artists in the world. It stands out in my opinion as his best album because it has beautiful songs of hard times and songs of passionate love. But overall you will find this album to be genuine. Yes, it may be influenced by early folk and country and even blues but still it is original. And that is what I love about this album because it takes everything that you like about music and puts it in a tiny package. // 10

More Bob Dylan reviews rating latest review
+ MTV Unplugged 8.9 11/01/2013
+ Tempest 8.7 09/11/2012
+ The Original Mono Recordings 9.5 03/08/2011
+ Bob Dylan 8.3 07/23/2009
+ The Bootleg Series Vol. 4: Bob Dylan Live 1966, The "Royal Albert Hall" Concert 9.1 06/24/2009
Comments