MTV Unplugged Review

bob dylan: MTV Unplugged
Release Date: Apr 25, 1995
Genre: Singer/Songwriter, Folk-Rock, Rock & Roll
Label: Columbia
Unlike some other "Unplugged" performances, this one doesn't offer a noticeably different view of the artist's work.
 9.8
 9.5
reviews (2) user comments vote for this album:
MTV Unplugged Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 01, 2005

Sound: The sound is great, a live album that captures the magic of such a legendary concert. The album includes a lot of Dylan's finest songs. The sound of the album is folky, acoustic guitars, walking bass lines and the keyboard in the background every now and then. // 9

Lyrics: As usual with Bob Dylan, the lyrics are the highlight. From the epic narratives 'Tombstone Blues', 'John Brown' and 'All Along The Watchtower', to the happy-go-lucky 'Rainy Day Women' and unforgettable 'Like A Rolling Stone', the lyrics are like sitting in a masterclass of literature. If Dylan weren't a musician he'd be a poet, and it is clearly shown on this CD. Singer skills? Well, it'd be crazy to say that Dylan was a good singer in the traditional sense, but I couldn't imagine anyone else singing these songs. There is a certain aspect of his voice that is just so essential, an aspect that brings the vivid imagery of his lyrics alive. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this is a very enjoyable cd. It is certainly one of the finest live albums I have ever heard, capturing the essence of Bob Dylan at his most basic - just an acoustic guitar and the world's finest Nashville backing group. The most impressive song for me is opening song 'Tombstone Blues', from the infamous Highway '61 Revisited album. 'Rainy Day Women' is also brilliant, and a guaranteed number to get the party going. However, there are some downfalls. The classics like 'Knockin On Heaven's Door', 'Like a Rolling Stone' and 'All Along The Watchtower' are definately inferior to the electric versions on earlier Dylan records. Overall though, this is a very enjoyable album with many highpoints, some of them rank among the finest of Dylan's amazing career. Here's to a new studio album in 2006. // 8

MTV Unplugged Reviewed by: N3WW4V3N1NJ4, on november 01, 2013

Sound: Let me begin by stating a fact: I am not a particularly big Bob Dylan fan. Sure I like some of his hit songs, but he's not one of those artists I would be mad at anyone for disliking. The reason I'm saying this is because, this album blew my mind. Bob Dylan and everyone on "MTV Unplugged" did a fantastic job of capturing the emotion of acoustic Folk music to the fullest extent. What amazes me most though, is that this album doesn't really sound all that different from how Bob Dylan normally sounds, but there's more energy, for lack of a better word. By unplugging, the folks at MTV seem to have amplified the power of the performance, if that makes any sense. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are really good and on this CD you can clearly hear each and every word. It surprised me a bit when I first started listening to this, as I have a hard time understanding Bob Dylan's voice on some of his studio recordings. The music, on the majority of tracks is noticeably better than the original versions, however, I found myself disappointed in the "MTV Unplugged" take on "All Along the Watchtower." I can't pinpoint the exact reason why, but it just seemed like the low point of "MTV Unplugged" at least, in my humble opinion. Every other track managed to exceed my expectations. // 10

Overall Impression: This is, without any hint of a doubt, my favorite anything by Bob Dylan, ever. If you don't like Bob Dylan, you might still enjoy this album, to some extent. His voice sounds noticeably different, clearer, so that helps a lot, to make his "MTV Unplugged" performance as good as it is. Other than that, the song selection is really nice. There's some world-famous hits and then some songs you probably never realized were Bob Dylan's songs, which kind of reminds me of how Nirvana did their "MTV Unplugged." If this album was intended to reach a broader audience, well, all I can say is, it's not for everyone, but it works for me! // 10

More Bob Dylan reviews rating latest review
+ Tempest 8.8 09/11/2012
+ The Original Mono Recordings 10 03/08/2011
+ Bob Dylan 8.5 07/23/2009
+ The Bootleg Series Vol. 4: Bob Dylan Live 1966, The "Royal Albert Hall" Concert 10 06/24/2009
+ Together Through Life 8.4 04/28/2009