New Morning Review

artist: bob dylan date: 12/06/2007 category: compact discs
bob dylan: New Morning
Release Date: Oct 21, 1970
Label: Columbia
Genres: Pop/Rock, Rock & Roll, Country-Rock, Singer/Songwriter, Folk-Rock, Album Rock
New Morning expands on the laid-back country-rock of John Wesley Harding and Nashville Skyline by adding a more pronounced rock & roll edge.
 8.3
 8.5
review (1) 5 comments vote for this album:
New Morning Reviewed by: Baz1211991, on december 06, 2007

Sound: New Morning begins with probably its biggest hit: If Not For You, a sentimental love song with modest ambitions. It has nice, simple lyrics and a clear relaxed voice. Dylan uses his piano quite a bit in New Morning, for example in Day Of The Locusts. The Title track itself is an east going song with an upbeat chorus, it studies the life in the country. There is also a jazzy element in some songs here, especially in If Dogs Run Free (my personal favorite on the album). Another important track is Sign On The Window, it is about the antithesis of the family man, at thirty a father of four, begins broaching homeliness without irony, and still convinces you not to hear it as strict autobiography. The Man In Me, Three Angels and Father Of Night close the album. Three Angels is a beautiful, releasing song which makes great use of the organs, I love to sit and think with this song on (yes, I'm a weirdo). In, The Man In Me, Dylan surrenders to the person he sees when his lover looks through him, very deep song. Father Of Night, only a minute and a half long, it gives me the feeling that you either like or hate this song (I like it personally). // 9

Lyrics: Dylan, as always, is a first class poet. His deep philosophy and commentary on wide topics including his own personal problems are poured out onto every CD he releases. Although songs like If Not For You take simple lyrics, Sign On The Window and The Man In Me are particularly deep songs, their lyrics are worth researching. He delves into a slight philosophy with If Dogs Run Free. He's had far better and more intersting lyrics such as the albums Desire, Highway 61 Revisited, Blond On Blonde etc. but these are interesting enough. // 7

Overall Impression: He's had better albums of course, few would place this alongside his golden era in the '60s but it's nonetheless a standout album amongst the god knows how many amount he released throughout his entire career. I enjoy listening to it thoroughly. The most impressive songs on the album to me are: If Dogs Run Free, If Not For You, Three Angels, Day Of The Locusts, Father Of The Night. It's a very laidback album, kind of makes you miss the anger and protest of other Dylan works. Would I buy it again if it were stolen or lost? Well since I've burned it onto my computer what's the point? If you were to put it in the context that I wouldn't be able to listen to the music without the CD then yes I would buy it again. // 8

More Bob Dylan reviews rating latest review
+ MTV Unplugged 9.8 11/01/2013
+ Tempest 8.8 09/11/2012
+ The Original Mono Recordings 10 03/08/2011
+ Bob Dylan 8.5 07/23/2009
+ The Bootleg Series Vol. 4: Bob Dylan Live 1966, The "Royal Albert Hall" Concert 10 06/24/2009
Comments