The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan Review

bob dylan: The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
Released: May 27, 1963
Genre: Rock
Styles: Political Folk, Singer/Songwriter, Folk Revival
This is rich, imaginative music, capturing the sound and spirit of America as much as that of Louis Armstrong, Hank Williams, or Elvis Presley.
 Lyrics: 9.7
 9.9
The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan Reviewed by: folk_rocknroll, on june 03, 2005

Sound: This is early Bob Dylan so if your looking for some later blues-rock stuff get Highway '61 revisited, Blonde On Blonde, Blood On The Tracks, ect. Some brilliant harmonica work is in this but sometimes if your not in the mood for it, the long high notes may give you a headache. When you listen to this you can really hear some Woody Guthrie influence, if you've read Dylan's chronicles you will see exactly how much he aspired to Woody Guthrie. If you do not like folk then I suggest not getting it if you do like folk and you don't have it, it may change your life. Why am I the first one to write a Dylan Review? Well stick around cause I'm reviewing everyone of his albums, ill try to do one a day because I get to school early every morning and I'm usually bored. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in this song are great and the more you listen the more they grow on you. The CD kicks off with Blowin In The Wind, a song most everyone has heard before ("How many roads must a man walk down, before you call him a man, ect.) and it is just back to back good lyrics through the song closing with one of my favorites (I Shall Be Free). It's kind of like a random story in one part he starts talking about a man running for president or someting and then all of a sudden he just says "he eats bagels and pizza." You may think that it's stupid but I think its sheer brilliant. I also like how hes talking about this girl he has and he says "shes a humdinger Folksinger". And the song masters of war is amazing to. It's aimed straight at the government with lines like: "I'll stand over your grave till I'm shure that your dead" and "Not even jesus would forgive what you do." The whole song is just like amazing. // 10

Overall Impression: Any Dylan fan should own this album. However, if you have never heard Bob Dylan (I'm sorry for you). I would suggest getting Highway '61, it's more accepted by the general public and it is great. The most impresive songs are Blowin In The Wind, Girl From The North Country, Masters Of War, Don't Think Twice It's Allright, and I Shall Be Free. And the other ones are great to but those are my particular favorites. // 10

The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 06, 2005

Sound: The sound on this album is pure folk. Just Dylan playing his guitar, harmonica and singing. The album is more folk then later albums where he used electric guitar, drums and bass on some songs. The sound on this album is great, with some nice folk guitar playing to compliment the great lyrics. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album prove that Dylan is the greatest lyricist of all time as many have claimed. Songs such as "Blowin' In The Wind", "Masters Of War", "A Hard Rain's A-gonna Fall", "Girl From The North Country" and "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright" show Dylan's great lyrical abilities. Songs such as "Talking World War 3 Blues" show Dylan's distinct sense of humour, which is often hilarious. One of the best lyrical performances ever. // 10

Overall Impression: One of the greatest albums ever made. The lyrics are superb and cannot be matched apart from on other Dylan albums. I strongly suggest for anyone to check this out if they want to see an example of great songwriting. // 10

The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan Reviewed by: NY773, on september 02, 2006

Sound: Bob Dylan was arguably at his best with this one. Armed with only an acoustic guitar and a harmonica on most tracks (and, of course, his distinct singing voice), he plays his heart out in 13 tracks that rank among some of the best in music history. Bob Dylan wrote "Freewheelin" when he was 21 years old, and already we caught a glimpse of what he would grow to be through his poetic lyrics. This was really Dylan's breakthrough album, and most people agree that it is one of the Top 25 in the last 50 years. // 10

Lyrics: Bob Dylan, even at 21 years old, displayed the voice in his lyrics that would lead people to crown him the successor to Woody Guthrie. Dylan's words melt seamlessly with his music, and they are sung in that oh-so-Bob-Dylan voice that makes this whole record great. Granted, Dylan is no Roger Daltry or Freddie Mercury. He's Bob Dylan. But his voice is partly what makes him Bob Dylan. This album wouldn't be the same without his voice. // 9

Overall Impression: I think that "Freewheelin" has a more dense track listing, if you will, then any of Dylan's other works from around that time, including "Highway 61 Revisited" and "Blonde On Blonde". "Masters Of War", "Blowin' In The Wind", "A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall", and "Don't Think Twice, It's alright" are the highlights of this one, and I especially enjoyed "Talkin World War III Blues" and "Oxford Town". "Girl From The North Country" is also included here. I must say, I'm a huge fan of this album already. It's a true work of American art. I can't say anything bad about it at this point. If it were stolen or lost, I'd probably be pressed to buy it again. It's just so good. Highly recommended. // 10

More Bob Dylan reviews rating latest review
+ MTV Unplugged 9.8 11/01/2013
+ Tempest 8.8 09/11/2012
+ The Original Mono Recordings 10 03/08/2011
+ Bob Dylan 8.5 07/23/2009
+ The Bootleg Series Vol. 4: Bob Dylan Live 1966, The "Royal Albert Hall" Concert 10 06/24/2009
Comments