Bon Jovi Review

artist: bon jovi date: 06/11/2007 category: compact discs
bon jovi: Bon Jovi
Release Date: Jan 1984
Label: Mercury
Genres: Hard Rock, Pop/Rock, Heavy Metal,Hair Metal, Album Rock, Pop-Metal, Arena Rock
It may not be the most noteworthy of debuts, but Bon Jovi has a contagious sense of energy and an endearing romanticism that mark it as a classic in its own right.
 8.3
 8.7
 7.8
reviews (2) user comments vote for this album:
Bon Jovi Reviewed by: captain_crash, on february 09, 2006

Sound: This CD is very '80s. To me that isnt a bad thing but it may put some people off. I once lent this to a friend and he hated it because of that very reason. Much like black and white films, some people cannot stand the synth keyboard sounds and guitar playing typical of the era. If you have no problem with 80's music then this is a truly great cd, well produced and played. Tico Torres (drummer) particually stands out for his excellent playing. // 9

Lyrics: One thing you may notice when you first listen to this cd is that Jon Bon Jovi's voice can go really high. Particually notable in the latter sections of the first track, Runaway. This is really a guy that can sing well and is practically flawless on this record. This effort is alot more raw than the follow up titled 7800 Fahrenheit containing many tracks penned before the line up had even been set. Also notable is the fact this cd conatins the only track on any studio album not to conatin a writting credit for Jon Bon Jovi. Track 3 (She Don't Know Me) was included at the request of the record company as part of the bands contract. Some lyrics do appear to have been used again in subsiquent albums (see Shot Through The Heart). // 7

Overall Impression: I love this ablbum, to me it delivers everything a debut album should do, and more. It's upbeat (see last track, Get Ready), energetic and well written. Unusually for Bon Jovi there are no "power ballads," but they're not missed for adding them would affect the fast pace of the album. It is a shame Bon Jovi don't play many of these songs at shows any more, they would sound ace live. // 9

Bon Jovi Reviewed by: Silas Thompson, on june 11, 2007

Sound: Hard keyboard riff, fast guitar solos, and cool drums solos. This album has it all. It started when the demo for runaway was accepted by Polygram. They told Jon he could either be a solo artist or higher a band to play with. He chose the band. It is totally a hair Metal album. The sound is focused on mainly Jon and Richie. Tico has his moments with fast drum solos that lead into a chorus. // 8

Lyrics: Jon lyrics are upbeat and his voice is stronger than it is on Bounce and Have A Nice Day. His skill was mainly going from his normal singing voice to high pitch like in Runaway. He also displays that on Slippery when Wet but not as much. The guitar fits into Jon's tone when he's singing. // 9

Overall Impression: It is different than others albums but in a good way. The way his voice was is so different than it is now. I like it because it shows how they started and when you hear Have A Nice Day you see how much there music has changed. I like it because it was harder than the other albums they put out. If I lost it I'd look and buy it again. The best songs on the album are Roulette, Runaway, Burning For Love, Get Ready, and Breakout. I suggest buying it. // 10

More Bon Jovi reviews rating latest review