Cross Road Review

bon jovi: Cross Road
Released: October 4, 1994
Genre: Rock
Styles: Hard Rock, Pop/Rock, Hair Metal, Arena Rock, Album Rock, Pop-Metal
Cross Road collects all of their biggest hits, adding a couple of new songs.
Cross Road Reviewed by: ThomasOlano, on april 01, 2009

Sound: Nothing revolutionary, but the boys do what the boys do best. They rock. Whether it's a slower, heartfelt track like Always or the seething, aggressive, ridiculously cool solo of Keep The Faith, Bon Jovi play their songs with a confidence and style that a band can only get when they know they f--ing rock. Sambora's solos feature heavily on almost every song and I remember each and every one note for note. Tico keeps the beats ticking along nicely and Byran really adds a special little something to some of the songs with his keys. Jon's voice is as gravelly, sexy, cool and accomplished as ever as well. Considering this is a Best Of album the sound was never going to be anything less than flawless was it. // 10

Lyrics: I'm a big Bon Jovi fan but I openly admit that their songs aren't for everyone. So if your not a fan of cheesy American glam rock lyrics your probably best not paying attention and just listening to Richie Sambora's crunching guitar solos (you can't wrong with Richie). Jon Bon Jovi's voice has long been recognised as one of the industries best and without it none of the songs would sound as good, although huge praise must also be given to Richie Sambora and David Byran too, both of whom provide backing vocals on some or all of the songs and both of whom have excellent range and tone. Overall I'll give the lyrics a high score because even if you do think they're cheesy, they always put a smile on your face and give you goosebumps at the right time. // 9

Overall Impression: I grew up listening to Bon Jovi and I've had this specific album broken twice and I still went out and bought Bon Jovi Crossroads Deluxe Edition (the one with the Live In London DVD and B-Sides & Rarities CD) to replace it. Obviously this album is one of the best, seeing as it is a best of. I love every song on it and there's a little something for everyone on here, even if you don't like the lyrics or the singing the rhythm and lead guitar is faultless throughout. I cherish this as one of my all time top CDs and I implore anyone who doesn't have this album with in reaching distance to go out and buy a copy. This review may be a bit behind schedule (it's March 31st 2009 as I write this) but I will write this review and I will defend this album with passion and integrity because I really do beleive that everyone should experience it at some time. // 10

Cross Road Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 28, 2004

Sound: I really enjoy the 80's albums. They have a hard but sweet sound to the ear. Basically buying this album and Guns N Roses Greatest Hits made me realize how much I love the 80's music. Even though this album was released its sound is deeply influenced by the 80's pop rock. Which is what you get when you listen to Bon Jovi (which is the only pop artist I hear).I like the electronic sounds in songs like "Livin' On A Prayer", "Bad Medicine" and "You Give Love A Bad Name". But I also enjoy the most slow paced songs like "Wanted Dead Or Alive","Keep The Faith" and "Someday I'll Be Saturday Night". // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are mostly about love and the things that happen in a relationship. Some songs talk about how you can get your heart broken cuz some bitch betrays you. Some talk about how you can thru hard times in relationships. Basically the songs are about women and love for them. Bon Jovi's voice is pretty efficient transmiting the message of his songs but as strange as it may sound his voice reminds me Axl's voice. I'm not very attraceted to a full "love album" but it has some kick ass sounds. // 8

Overall Impression: I recommend you not buy this album if you don't like soft-hearted shit. Also if you simply can't stand 80's music or pop or love songs (again). However if you enjoy good rock/pop from the 80's with some slow paced songs like or if you simply love Bon Jovi. The best songs are: "Livin' On A Prayer","Bad Medicine","You Give Love A Bad Name","In & Out Of Love","Someday I'll Be Saturday Night" and "Runaway". // 8

Cross Road Reviewed by: cradleoffilth, on november 29, 2004

Sound: It's an album with a compilation of the best songs from his albums 'Bon Jovi', '7800 Fahrenheit', 'Slippery When Wet', 'New Yersey', 'Keep The Faith' and 'These Days'. The most awesome songs of Bon Jovi are on this record: Livin' On A Prayer, Keep The Faith, Someday I'll Be Saturday Night, Always, Wanted Dead Or Alive, Lay Your Hands On Me, You Give Love A Bad Name, Bed Of Roses, Blaze Of Glory, In These Arms, Bad Medicine, I'll Be There For You, In & Out Of Love, Runaway And Never Say Goodbye. I'm a very big Bon Jovi fan, and I would like it when there came another compilation album, but then with all his albums of this moment. // 10

Lyrics: I love Jon's voice and he sings the song with a lot of accents in the lyrics. The biggest part of the lyrics are written by Jon Bon Jovi and Richie Sambora and they make such a special songs. The skills of Bon Jovi and backgroundsinger/guitarist Richie Sambora are very fantastic! I just love they're voice sound. // 10

Overall Impression: As I already said, it's a compilation album of his best songs an you can't compare it with other artists, because I think there ain't nothing better than Jon Bon Jovi. My favorite songs are Livin' On A Prayer and Runaway. I love it that the songs are a little bit remixed by the original album, but there is nothing what I hate about the album. I have all the Bon Jovi albums and also the two Richie Sambora solo-albums and I will buy another one if I lost it to make my collection complete again. // 10

More Bon Jovi reviews rating latest review