The Circle Review

8.6
 9.2
reviews (3) 1 comment vote for this album:
The Circle Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 11, 2009

Sound: Bon Jovi makes a full comeback with the Circle. Becoming their first album in 2 years, they are bringing rock right back into the spotlight! The sound is a mix of the same old heavy metal of the 80s and the fresh, new sound teeneagers will like today. The first single "We Weren't Born To Follow" put them back in the spotlight with its American patriotic theme and more personal working class look on life. Follow-up singles "When We Were Beautiful" and "Superman Tonight" are scheduled to come out later. Other tracks combine the heavy metal sound of the 80s with more modern working class and love songs. ROCK ON! // 9

Lyrics: The songs are all well written. These guys are experienced writers, unlike most pop singers of today who lack the ability to do anything but sing. The Guitar rocks, same classic metal riffs that used to propel them into the spotlight. These guys are more than just 80s survivors, they are modern legends, still in the spotlight. Like others like U2, they have embraced pop, but kept rocking. // 8

Overall Impression: Bon Jovi has made their comeback. But did they ever really leave? THEY ROCK FOREVER! The album might not be as good as others they've done to me, but it really compares to their 80s albums. Rock On, Bon Jovi! This is a great album, really! Sincerely, Guitarslinger // 8

The Circle Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 15, 2011

Sound: Bon Jovi makes their Arena Rock comeback. Songs constructed neatly with the YEAHS! And WOAHS! Everyone loves to sing along to at the concerts. But what else are they bringing to the table? Lyrics. Bon Jovi's as a whole is bring deep, mature, motivating informative lyrics... The adjectives could go on.. Richie Sambora brings some thick riffs but also shows some slide influences for some thoughtful solos and U2 style licks. As the usual Bon Jovi writing format is used there are also some creative steps in and outside. You can tell this album made itself and wasn't forced. Songs like "When We Were Beautiful" Satisfy the writers needs as it does the listeners. The rhythm side of this band is just as solid as ever. The bass is holding down the backbone and Tico is a phenomenal drummer as well. David Bryan plays just what every song needs. Everyone is bringing their parts together for the band to be successful. Give it a 9 just because I feel Sambora is holding back just a bit too much, he sounds great, but I'm just always expecting something a little more from him. Miss the old albums Sound! // 9

Lyrics: As the usual Bon Jovi writing format is used there are also some creative steps in and outside. You can tell this album made itself and wasn't forced. Songs like "When We Were Beautiful" satisfy the writers needs as it does the listeners. Jon's voice is anything but disappointing. May sound strained at times but then again go back and listen: that's his sound and knowing Jon that's exactly what he wanted. He would not be satisfied enough to put out the record if he wasn't. Richie does a great job complimenting the lyrics with his phenomenal guitar playing. Some lyrics to listen for "for the pink slip of an SUV, a night cut down in tragedy" from "Bullet", so simple its almost Genius, "When We Were Beautiful" talks of the bands maturity and past and is a great song that satisfied their writing needs. The song "Superman Tonight" is full of great lyrics, I'm not gonna write them all but definitely give it a listen with the lyrics in front of you. "Thorn in my side, you just wont quit, once in a while when I crack a smile, you rub my face in it" from the song "Thorn In My Side". Very genius if you think about it, its obviously a metaphor supposed to be motivational but with a kind of gloomy mood to it. I think its referring to when a dog shits on the floor you rub its face in it so it doesn't do it again, but saying that there are people who constantly work at something and don't allow praise to themselves, all work no play, anyways that's my rant on the lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: I can't say it compares to another artist. You can definitely see and hear influences but its still the all around Bon Jovi sound and quality that you'd expect. When I first listened there was alot of unpredictable aspects of the CD that appealed to me. As usual there are those filler love songs... But Every other song is a great so it makes up. It's one of those CDs you have to buy and listen to the whole thing instead of just downloading one song. Best Songs are "When We Were Beautiful", "Superman Tonight", "Broken Promise Land", "Bullet", "We Weren't Born To Follow" (although its quite similar to a past favorite "Born To Be My Baby") Another song I like is "Thorn In My Side", because of the quality lyrics. As I stated before I'm always expecting more from Richie Sambora, but I don't hate anything about this album. If it were lost or stolen its already on my hardrive I'll burn another CD haha. // 10

The Circle Reviewed by: MattTravis, on december 21, 2009

Sound: They promised an album that was going to great and be a heavy rock album. Well, 10/10 for saying it would be a great album which it is almost except for the terrible second track that drags it down to a nine out of ten over all for me. I think the 'heavy rock' phrasing of the albums style was slightly complacent, I would say i was heavier than Lost Highway, but, not that heavy. It was a keyboard heavy album except for the title track, and that worries me. Richie Sambora is legendary, and yet appart from some emmence solos, he let's down on the riffs. Such a shame. Bon Jovi were going to realise a best of album with a couple of new tracks but decided to publish some of the tracks they had written along the way. Good Choice? Good for making money, a slight let down for overly expectant fans like myself. The guitar sounds chosen are like nothing I've ever heard, and on that I must compliment the legend Sambora, and apparently the producer who got him to play around with these sounds. Strange new sound like this is exactly what Bon Jovi need to work on in the next ten years to become truly legendary beyond all possible thought. If they can reinvent themselves for another couple of albums, they might just get a UK Number 1 and suppress the repetive lyrics of Cheryl Cole. I loved the album however and recommend any reader buys it or at least the title track. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album inspire any listener to sing along. Work for the Workingman has some of the catchiest lyrics in existence and is a lyrical marvel in the obyss of sex orientated lyrics flooding our record stores. They are perhaps not as catchy as the unforgetable livin' on prayer's vocals, but still move the music along and get you up and shouting. I don't even need to mention singer skills. We've heard Jon Bon Jovi sing before and both know he is legendary, which is why Bon Jovi are most watched act in world history. // 10

Overall Impression: They're is no album like this. Nothing ever. Which gets it onto my top ten shelf at home, which amazed me to find that Slippery When Wet was not on there. That's how unique this album is.I was uttely impressed with the drums for Broken Promise Land, the bass for work for the workingman (Bon Jovi still don't count the Mcdonald guy as a band member, WHICH THEY SHOULD! ), The guitar for bullet, the keyboard for Broken Promiseland, and the vocal skill on live before you die. Like most albums the title track was not by any means the best. My favourite two are Work for the Workingman and Live Before You Die, but I hated the second track so much I can't even remember what its called. // 10

More Bon Jovi reviews rating latest review