This Left Feels Right Review

Tones: Sentimental, Soothing, Restrained, Reserved, Reflective, Relaxed
Styles: Pop-Metal, Adult Contemporary Pop/Rock
reviews (5) 1 comment vote for this album:
This Left Feels Right Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 17, 2009

Sound: This album sounds very different from all the other Bon Jovi albums. The album contains their most popular songs, but all the songs are very different than the original versions. It's like, "The best of Bon Jovi with a twist". Most of the songs are acoustic versions of the original. But that's not the only difference. All the songs are "broken down" and some have been changed completely. There are plenty of changes in the melody as well. The songs have a touch blues and soul in them. Songs like "It's My Life" sounds sad where as the original was very up-beat. Jon pushes the minor notes of the chords with his voice at the end of each verse. It sounds great. "Livin' On A Prayer" is another Bon Jovi classic which is completely changed here. The acoustic sound of this song sounds very good indeed. The female vocalist wasn't the best, but still the song turns out great. The live version of the song sounds even better, where Richie plays the twelve-string guitar. "Wanted Dead Or Alive" has been dramtically changed as well. This doesn't sound as good as the others, but it doesn't sound bad either. Overall, the soulful blues version of the classic Bon Jovi songs sounds fantastic. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are mostly same as the originals. There are some slight changes in a few songs (like in "Wanted Dead Or Alive"). Bon Jovi's lyrics are always emotional and powerful. Jon's voice always connects with voice. You can almost picture "Tommy and Jina" when Jon sings "Livin' On A Prayer". And the lyrics hit a different emotion when accompanied with the new acoustic sounds of the album. For example, "It's My Life" seem speak at an encouraging tone to someone who is down on his luck in this album compared the original, where it sounded like the shouting of a rebel. Jon's voice was solid in most of the songs. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall the album is great. Very different from all the other Bon Jovi albums. Almost every Bon Jovi fan will love this album because of this difference. People who have not listened to previous Bon Jovi albums will not appreciate this album as much as, but I thinks they would still like it. I would definitely buy this album again if it got lost/stolen. // 9

This Left Feels Right Reviewed by: Bombdiggidy19, on january 20, 2004

Sound: This album features Bon Jovi recording their greatest hits on acoustic guitars and pianos. // 4

Lyrics: Since the album is a greatest hits cd, the lyrics were not changed. The way the lyrics are sung is a little different. // 8

Overall Impression: While the album is entertaining the first (maybe second) time I listen to it, I was disappointed in it. Bon Jovi songs just seem to be defined by electric riffs and pounding bass, not to mention the aggressive tone in Jon Bon Jovi's voice that is absent in this album. I was convinced of my dislike of this album after listening to "Livin on a Prayer" and hearing the vast difference in the way "WHOAAAA LIVIN ON A PRAYER!" was sung on this album as opposed to its original recording. Overall, it is an example of a band thinking outside the box gone bad. I would not recomend the purchase of this album. I eagerly await the release of an actual greatest hits cd. // 4

This Left Feels Right Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 16, 2004

Sound: This album is a new look on what have already been huge successes for this band. Familiar songs done with a simple acoustic arrangement. // 10

Lyrics: Same songs, same lyrics but with the new sounds it gives the songs a whole new perspective. // 8

Overall Impression: I must admit, this album did take a little while to get used to or to see the angle they are trying to get at. Richie shines through with his usual simple but yet catchy riffs as shown on the remade "Bad Medicine". Not the best album that Bon Jovi has released but, still an enjoyable one. // 8

This Left Feels Right Reviewed by: (...), on february 17, 2007

Sound: This CD seems to me like a departure from regular Bon Jovi musical style. They took their old songs and redid them in a softer fashion. This was a little disappointing for me because I am a metal head. I listen to this CD to settle down, and song of the songs are actually pretty enjoyable, even though this is not a revolutionary CD. // 7

Lyrics: Lyrics are the same as always, just slow down in accordance with the slowed down music. The lyrics fit in well with the music. Jon Bon Jovi in my opinion has always been a great singer, and does a good job on this CD too. He helps move the song along with his voice. Olivia d'Abo makes a guest appearance on the song Livin' On A Prayer. She ads to the serenity of the song. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall impression of this CD is good. I think this CD is better than all other soft metal CDs. I like the It's My Life and Livin' On A Prayer from the CD. If it was taken away from me, I would buy a harder Bon Jovi CD than this one. Possibly Have a Nice Day or Slippery When Wet. This is not the CD to get as your first Bon Jovi CD. // 8

This Left Feels Right Reviewed by: arry2002uk, on april 13, 2007

Sound: This is how the band chose to sum up their album and it's spot on! What you get when you buy this album is the same old classics produced in some whole new new ways. Some of the songs have been made accoustic, some more blusey or jazzy and others have had layers of music stripped so that you're left with just the piano score and Jon's amazing vocals. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrically the album is nothing original, the lyrics are the same deep heart-felt and well written words the band have always used (there are exception such as "Wanted Dead or Alive" which has had a few minor changes). The lyrics fit well into their new context and as always Jon makes the effort to experiment with his vocal talents and comes out all the better for it. Basically: good lyrics with a lack of originality with fantasic vocal experimentation and development from frontman Jon Bon Jovi. // 6

Overall Impression: Many bands have tried similar projects, few have succeeded and although this album is not the most original or groundbreaking record of it's genre, it is highly enjoyble and a great effort. Songs which really suited their new context in my humble opinion were: Wanted Dead or Alive, It's My Life, You Give Love a Bad Name, Always, Born to Be My Baby. My only dislike of the album is that a lot of Sambora's best guitaring has been stripped, don't get me wrong, what's left is great and his improvisations do suit the pieces just fine but it feels a little empty sometimes. What impresses me is the way the band have reperformed many titles to the extent they are crossing into new genres from their original counterparts and yet somehow the songs in question are still intirely impressive. My personal recommendation is that you do not buy this album unless you are a big fan of the band otherwise I imagine you'd fail to appreciated just what Jon, Richie and company have done here. If you are only just getting into Bon Jovi or like but some of their works I'd suggest either the "Crossroads" or "Slippery When Wet" albums instead. // 7

More Bon Jovi reviews rating latest review