Fishin' For Woos Review

bowling for soup: Fishin' For Woos
Released: Apr 25, 2011
Genre: Pop-Punk
Label: Que-so Records/Brando Records
Classic Bowling For Soup. "FFW" consists of BFS' own brand of ridiculously happy punk pop anthems mixed with acoustic and slower songs.
 Lyrics: 8.7
 7.9
 8.4
 7.4
Fishin' For Woos Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 02, 2011

Sound: Classic BFS. I've heard "FFW" described as them going back to their sound of 2002 and that is exactly what it is. More serious than "Sorry For Partyin'", this is an album that anyone could listen to and find at least one song that they like. "FFW" consists of BFS' own brand of ridiculously happy punk pop anthems mixed with acoustic and slower songs. Many of the songs will have you singing along and tapping your feet almost instantly. You can tell these guys are having fun. // 10

Lyrics: Witty, humorous lyrics complete the classic Bowling For Soup sound. The majority of songs are written by Jaret Reddick (singer) with a few co-written with Linus of Hollywood or by Erik Chandler (bass). Cheeky innuendo out of the way, there are some amazingly deep lyrics here. Jaret's vocal range is incredible and is shown off throughout the album. While you can easily tell it's him singing, his voice has developed so much from the days of "Rock On Honourable Ones". // 10

Overall Impression: Now that the guys are no longer tied to Jive records they can do what they want with their albums. It is easy to see that they love doing what they do and now have complete freedom over what kind of songs they can include which adds some variety to their sound. From my opinion there isn't a bad song on the album, from the heartfelt "Turbulence" to the hilarious "Here's Your Freakin' Song". I would definitely buy this album again if it was stolen. Despite it only just being released it is fast becoming a favourite! // 10

Fishin' For Woos Reviewed by: Bozjoarmstrong, on may 06, 2011

Sound: Bowling For Soup frontman Jaret Reddick promised fans a return to the classic pop-punk sound of "Drunk Enough To Dance" for their latest release, "Fishin' For Woos". As a fan of Reddick, both as a musician and a person, it disheartens me a little to claim this promise has been broken. This is far from a negative comment, though "Drunk Enough To Dance" remains a firm favourite, "Fishin' For Woos" has a completely different sound. I heard and read many claims that BFS were over-using synthesisers and other such "pop" instruments on their 2009 release (and possibly best album to date) "Sorry For Partyin'". And these claims will come again as "Fishin' For Woos" at times is heavily driven by a sound almost befitting the likes of Miley Cyrus, particularly in track 2 "Girls In America" and track 9 "I've Never Done Anything Like This" which features a female vocalist, Kay Hanley. Catchy as it is, you can't help but feel as if this is too far a departure from the riff-ridden classics of earlier years. On the plus side, opener "Let's Pretend We're Not In Love" offers a slightly heavier sound, while single "S-S-S-Saturday" and "Friends Chicks Guitars" manage to be memorable without inspiring fears of a Rebecca Black vocal solo. The stand-out track here sound-wise is surely "Turbulence" an excellent ballad, which makes up for the earlier, lazier effort of "What About Us". Excellent acoustic guitar work, creative strings and an epic but not over-produced chorus mark one of BFS' best songs to date. // 6

Lyrics: Though some found the lyrics of "My Wena" from "Sorry For Partyin'" a little crude, I felt they represented BFS at their tongue-in-cheek best. The closest we come here is "Here's Your Freakin' Song" which whilst providing some sense of humour just doesn't match up to earlier efforts lyrically. "Girls In America" and "What About Us" strike me as the two least lyrically impressive songs here; fairly standard pop-punk fare that bands half as experienced and talented as these guys could pull off. As for the delivery of the vocals, there is no doubting Reddick's ability. His voice inspires joy in upbeat efforts such as "Smiley Face" whilst "Turbulence" allows him to successfully show off a more sensitive side, which contributes greatly to this track's status as the best on the album. So whilst in places the lyrics can be a bit of a let down, the flawless vocals will mean you hardly notice, if at all. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, I was slightly disappointed here. I had thoroughly enjoyed "Sorry For Partyin'", and felt that most of these songs sounded like ones that just didn't make the cut for that last album. There are indeed exceptions, most notably "Turbulence", but four or five filler tracks really don't do this album any favours, particularly those that fall the wrong side of the pop-punk balance. I would suggest that BFS fans like myself buy it, perhaps purely just to make up the numbers, but if you're looking for a BFS classic, this most certainly is not it. Maybe a little more time spent on the next album and we could have another slice of BFS genius on our hands. // 6

Fishin' For Woos Reviewed by: tomrgane, on may 04, 2011

Sound: Bowling For Soup return to a far more classic sound on this their eleventht studio album, more "A Hangover You Don't Deserve" than "Sorry For Partyin'". The guitar work is full of simple, fun and contagious riffs that you find yourself humming along to with a smile on your face and a spring in your step. Each chorus makes you want to sing along with some friends and a beer, and this is the essence of BFS, perfectly encapsulating friendship and good friends in music. The album isn't quite as refined as "SFP" (in my opinion their best album) because BFS wanted to get an album out quickly after their split from Jive. However they stick to a winning formula with songs such as "I've Never Done Anything Like This" and "Saturday" sounding as if they could have jumped straight from their classic albums. However in "Turbulence" and "What About Us" the band show their ability to write songs that are for more musical and portray the more serious aspects of life between parties. // 9

Lyrics: In my opinion Jaret Reddick is one of the best song writers in the world, maybe he doesn't have the flair of someone like Adam Duritz but very few people can use music to reflect real life like him. But people listen to BFS to smile so I'll deal with the fun songs first. "Dear Megan Fox" is hilariously rambling like a real crazy love letter with a bridge that has made me and almost everyone I've shown it to actually laugh out loud. There are a few other moments like that on the album, notably in "Saturday" the line, "Hate my boss, hate this place, want to shove it in his face, that he doesn't know his wife is texting me every day" had me smiling for ages. The use of innuendo that BFS are famous for is present throughout the album and is probably best seen in the cheeky parody "Girls In America" ("American Girls I love how you blow me... Away") and the absolutely brilliant "I've Never Done Anything Like This". Now onto the more serious stuff. The classic fan favourite "Guard My Heart" (originally written by bassist Erik Chandler years ago) gets a shiny new version and conveys the uncertainty of the dreaded friendzone ("I put on a smile and wait just like I often do, you say we're friends so I'll just guard my heart, If you don't you might tear me apart"). The upcoming single "Turbulence" is probably the most musical song on the album, combining a beautiful yet simple bit of acoustic guitar and orchestral sections matching messsage to stay strong ("And we're all just passengers tonight and we're all just travelling through our lives, we will reach our destination so just hang on for the ride, say a prayer and close your eyes, it's just a little turbulence"). // 9

Overall Impression: I'm a huge BFS fan so I may be slightly biased but I truley believe this is one of their best efforts. It has a fantastic combination of fun and serious, pop punk and ballad and it's an album that generally makes you smile and brightens your day. Free from Jive it shows BFS rejoicing in just living their dream and trying to make the fans happy through their music. There isn't really a bad song or any stand out songs as it's a very strong album through and through, but my favourites are "What About Us", "Turbulence", "Dear Megan Fox", "Guard My Heart", "I've Never Done Anything Like This". If it was lost I would certainly buy another one straight away, although I think I'd cry a bit first as my copy is an autographed pre sale version. The only reason the album doesn't get a 10/10 is because it isn't quite as good as "Sorry For Partyin'" which is musical perfection for me (listen to "A Really Cool Dance Song" and the whole album really to see what I mean) but "FFW" is still a must have for any fan of pop punk. // 9

More Bowling For Soup reviews rating latest review