Stars And The Sea Review

boy kill boy: Stars And The Sea
Release Date: Mar 31, 2008
Label: Mercury
Genres: Rock
The mighty 11-tracks display a new up-and-at-em attitude and will see the lads back near the top of the charts.
 Lyrics: 8.5
 9.2
 8.8
 9.6
reviews (2) 1 comment vote for this album:
Stars And The Sea Reviewed by: cal?!, on april 09, 2008

Sound: From the moment Promises bursts to life as the opening track on their new album, you can tell Essex band Boy Kill Boy are back in business. Intense and meaningful, all 11 tracks on Stars And The Sea roll by with passion and feeling. A OK, Rosie's On Fire, Kidda Kidda and Pen And Ink are all triumphant songs that make this an attractive package. This high-achieving CD was produced by super-producer Dave Sardy who has worked with Oasis and Red Hot Chili Peppers and here adds professionalism and clarity. // 10

Lyrics: Opening track Promises starts of with two opening chords reminiscent of The Clash's London Calling, which leads you to a memorable chorus which hits you with the line "I'll find my way back from the stars and the sea". Track 2, No Conversation, is another class song although repetitive but worthy to be released as the first single from the album. The tracks Loud and Clear, Paris, A OK, Kidda Kidda, Pen & Ink should cement themselves as Boy Kill Boy classics in the future and finally Be Somebody, Ready To Go, Rosie's On Fire, Two Souls resemble much of the tracks from Civilian. // 9

Overall Impression: Building from the debut album Civilian they bring the same anthemic pop on Stars And The Sea but with more thoughtful & maningful lyrics. Boy Kill Boy are back with a vengeance. Stars And The Sea is a CD that will gain cult status and is certainly worth having your credit card swiped. // 9

Stars And The Sea Reviewed by: lesbian_men, on april 12, 2008

Sound: From the first listen to this album, I remembered why I fell in love with boy kill boy. I picked up 'Civilian' from the cover alone, and my eyes were immediately opened to the world of Boy Kill Boy. And with the wait for the new album, I was pleasantly surprised when 'Promises', the first track of the album, sprung into life. Immediately noticeable was to what extent the vocals had developed since 'Civilian'. Although it has lost the 'Boy Kill Boy' vibe that 'Civilian' had, and has progressed more towards the 'Arctic Monkeys' stylization of vocals, which for me was a major disappointment when I first listened to 'Promises'. However, by the time the third track 'Be Someone' rolls around, the trade mark feel that 'Civilian' had is back, and it's better. The rest of the album is just another tantalizing melange of raw guitars with simple solo's and underlying synths. // 9

Lyrics: With the trademark simplicity that brands boy kill boys lyrics, those of 'Stars And The Sea' do not really differ in terms of their simplicity, or the presence of cliched or slightly humorous lyrics. However, the lyrics converge well with the music, and the occasional harmonies bring out an emphasis. However, if you were expecting shakespeare, then you will be sadly disappointed by the seeming meaningless of some of their lyrics. // 8

Overall Impression: Compared to 'Civilian', it is possible to see that at the heart, 'Boy Kill Boy' is still very much the same band. However, their music and the vocals demonstrate their slight progression; and the development is very slight, and in some aspects it is almost unnoticeable, which means that old fans will not be put off, and there is a great prospect of drawing in new fans as well. If lost, I would buy another album, but it would be played less often than 'Civilian'. // 8

More Boy Kill Boy reviews rating latest review