Boys Like Girls Review

7.9
 8.8
review (1) 14 comments vote for this album:
Boys Like Girls Reviewed by: VeloriumCamper, on august 01, 2006

Sound: Boston native Boys Like Girls are getting set to release their self titled debut full length album next month and have put together a vibrant, loud, and extremely catchy package of 12 songs that you will be spinning all summer long. Boys Like Girls teamed up with producer Matt Squire (Thrice, Hit The Lights, The Receiving End Of Sirens) for the album and the product is a clean cut album that sounds great to the common ear and is sure to please everyone from scenesters to your local teen mallrat (and maybe a little of both). The album starts off with the track "The Great Escape" which is a catchy little number showcasing Boys Like Girls infectious hooks and guitar lines mixed with extremely bland and cliche lyrics. Throw it away, forget yesterday, we'll make the great escape is just one of many boring lyrics on this album. The next two tracks are also very catchy and sink into you. You will be singing most of the tracks on this album for weeks straight until you take it out of your disc player, or computer which is exactly what I find myself doing now. // 9

Lyrics: The middle tracks, 5-9, on this album slow down the album a bit and aren't as enjoyable and as promising as the beginning of the album. The predictable pattern of into/verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/outro gets old quite fast and doesn't hold your attention very well. The lyrics to Dance Hall Drug are almost laughable and if it weren't for great production and decent vocals I would trash this album. The ending to the album is pretty strong although. Heel's Over Head is a great track and offers a little diversity in an album filled with no originality and predictability. Broken Man is one of the catchiest tracks on the album, in my opinion, and really gets you singing along. Holiday is the perfect choice for an ending to the album but I find myself skipping over it because I want the album to be over. // 5

Overall Impression: For a debut album, Boys Like Girls have put out a halfway decent album and show a lot of potential. Their hooks are quite infectious, catchy, and vibrant. The vocals are pleasing to the ear, and their instrumentation shows some talent. I just can't help but write this album off as nothing but decent. It's catchy, it's fun, it's perfect for the summer, but that's about it. Once the summer is over, and my feet aren't sandy anymore, this album will probably collect some dust on my shelves. Hopefully the guys will develop their own sound in the next few years and come out with a great record. But for now, in one word, this album is mediocore. // 7

More Boys Like Girls reviews rating latest review