Time Well Wasted Review

brad paisley: Time Well Wasted
Released: Aug 16, 2005
Label: Arista Nashville
Genres: Contemporary Country, Neo-Traditionalist Country
Each of Paisley's prior albums gained stature with repetition, but Time Well Wasted is not only richer than his first three records, it's more gripping upon its first play.
 Lyrics: 7.5
 8.8
 8.7
 8.9
reviews (2) 1 comment vote for this album:
Time Well Wasted Reviewed by: big_d_ibanez, on september 25, 2005

Sound: When I bought this CD, I was not a very big country music fan. In fact, I was quite the opposite. I got it because I had seen him on the front cover of Guitar One, and read the interview, and because I was told it would do me good to learn other styles of music besides rock. So, I got this CD, popped it in, and sat there amazed at guitarist I was listening to. I realized why he was on the front cover of that magazine, and why they called him "Eddie Van Halen on cornbread." This guys was tearin' it up! His speed on some songs amazed me, and then his soulful solos on the slower tracks showed that he could put his heart into it too. I had heard that he was influenced by jazz music, and that leaked through a couple of his songs. It was very interesting to hear a country/jazz blend, very cool. The instumental "Time Warp" showcases the talent of Brad and the rest of the band, with every member having a solo piece. Like I said, I wasn't an avid country fan, but this guy converted me! // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics in country music was the main thing that turned me off to it. I like deep, meaningful, metaphoric lyrics that you have to read several times, and then make your individual interpertation. Country music, for the most part, has simple lyrics, with no deep meaing, but they tell a story. So, I didn't listen to lyrics to much on this album, but the lyrics on tracks like "Waitin' On A Woman" and "When I Get Where I'm Goin'" really struck something in me. I knew exactly what he meant, and shared many of the same feelings. He had a good voice, too. Not anything extrordinary, but like I said, I got the album for the music. // 6

Overall Impression: Since this is pretty much the only country cd I've gotten, I don't know how to really compare it to others, but I was really impressed with the guitar. "The World," "Alcohol," and "Time Warp" were the most impressive songs on the album to me. I love the guitar and the slight jazz feel throughout the album. If it were lost/stolen, I'd definately get it again. // 8

Time Well Wasted Reviewed by: Harmonius, on march 30, 2007

Sound: Brad Paisley returns with his 4th studio album after Who Needs Pictures, Part II and Mud On The Tires, entitled Time Well Wasted. I've never really been a huge country fan like most people. It's a sad fact: country is a genre often misinterpreted as another corny, hick tune. Save your breath, Brad Paisley isn't like that. In fact, he isn't like that at all. The first time I put this record on, I was totally blown away however I confess, this wasn't my first Brad Paisley record and I knew what to expect from this guitar god. Make no mistake when I say guitar god. Paisley's sound is a mix of native country, jazz and shred. While it may seem like an apparent oxymoron to say country-shred, you'll be surprised to see this genre work so well. The simple fact is, Brad can shred, albeit country style. While I don't actually really mean shred in the traditional sense, I actually mean shredding done tastefully both electrically and acoustically. Don't make the mistake that Brad uses bar chords and simple structures. No and no. His rhythm as well as lead is complex. There is no wonder why 90% of Brad Paisley tabs on UG don't include solos or completed rhythm structures: they are often completely wrong or unfinished. Still, you have the admire the effort and for that, the tabbers have my utmost respect. The album is full of great numbers. For me, the ones that shine through are the world, I'll take you back, alcohol, she's everything, rainin' you, flowers and my personal favourite, time well wasted. It's so impressive how these songs have structured. I always had been a rock fan but I found my attitude towards it changing with every other CD that wasn't driven by rock, punk or metal. This change in attitude gets stronger and stronger everyday and Paisley is much to be accounted for in my musical taste transition. His songs are very true and thought out thoroughly. The sound of his signature telecaster custom and signature Dr. Z tone amp makes him one of the most distinguished guitarists of the modern age with his noticeable twang tone. The violin and banjo also need to be much credited for, without them this record would be bare. Of course, what country band is without them? Together, it gives this record a very admirable sound. I don't want to give the reader the impression that this record is all about fun in the sun and not caring at all. It's nothing like that. The record is about life's gift: marriage, children, forgiveness and of course memories you wouldn't want to ever erase as per Time Well Wasted. To conclude on this part of the review, the sound is beautiful: emotionally charged and very real. I've noticed a distinction between real melody and music with no or little melody at all. This record is harmonious, no pun intended on my username (shit, I just realised my username is spelt wrong), full of melodies. // 10

Lyrics: Where do I start with one? Brad has always troubled me in the beginning [who needs pictures, era] on his lyrics. His lyrics wasn't his strong point although never without meaning. A lot of his earlier lyrics sound as if he was writing colloquially. This isn't a problem anymore. He's grown into an artist who can really write [post who needs pictures era]. As an artist, it's important that you know how to write lyrics. Brad can pull off some of the most beautiful lyrics ever. They are never without meaning. As stated before, they are very true. Everyone can relate, no matter who you are. I would say the reoccurring theme on his lyrics are about passion/love, marriage and other precious life moments. // 9

Overall Impression: Beautiful, different, emotionally charged, technical, complex and unforgettable. This is my favourite Brad Paisley record and each track is just as good as the next. Get this record now. Don't listen to the instinct that is telling you all country is hick and cornografied. What do I love about it, everything. What do I hate about it, it's a shame it's wasn't longer. Jazz and shred fans, prepare to be baffled. // 10

More Brad Paisley reviews rating latest review