Daisy Review

brand new: Daisy
Released: Sep 22, 2009
Genre: Alternative Rock, Experimental Rock, Indie Rock
Label: Interscope, DGC, Procrastinate! Music Traitors
Daisy cannot be compared to other indie albums out there on the scene. It is something other bands cannot reproduce.
 Lyrics: 8.7
 8.8
 8.5
 9.1
Daisy Reviewed by: wecouldfall, on september 22, 2009

Sound: Brand New. A band that has 'so much hype, their hype has hype'. Building up a cult following unlike any other in music, Brand New have previously released 3 stellar albums, each one completely different in sound from the other. 2006's critically acclaimed The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me established a darker, louder sound for Brand New, while maintaining their fantastic lyrics. Brand New then almost completely disappeared off the face of the earth for nearly 3 years. Besides the occasional show, the band was gone. When Brand New announced that there was a new album in the works, they worked up a flurry of news, rumors and controversy. The announced album name was 'and one head can never die'. Before the dust had time to settle, they had changed the name to 'Daisy'. After the release of the masterpiece, Deja Entendu, fans had declared that Brand New had hit their peak, and their next album could not possibly top it. Brand New surprised people. Vastly different from their previous works, the Devil and God was declared a masterpiece, and fans said that their next album could not possibly top it. Then came Daisy. Polarising isn't the right word. This album could be declared as being the opposite of accessible. Brand New have once again rejected fame, and unleashed an album that is completely different from their others. At around 40 minutes in length, it's shorter than their previous works. It aims to hit hard and fast. And it does. On first listen, your face will be ripped off and shredded to little pieces. Opening with Vices, the most aggressive song they have ever written, Brand New will blow you away with another fantastic album. Vices is the first indication of what the album will sound like. Raw, atmospheric, and crazy. Despite some great tracks in the beginning, the album really picks up after the bizarre interlude, Be Gone. The next few songs are some of the best Brand New have ever written. Linking together beautifully, and establishing a flow to the tracks not seen since their Deja days, the album will proceed to blow you away. The bass is heard strongly throughout the album, and guitars and vocals are layered and many. The album closer, Noro, marks a change for the band. It serves as an example: do not go into this album with expectations. As long term fans will have noticed, it does not open with Jesse counting. It is not acoustic/semi-acoustic. This goes for the entire album. Do not expect anything of the old Brand New. // 9

Lyrics: Brand New's brilliantly touching and clever lyrics are originally what drew fans in, and never let them go. However, things are different this time. The most marked change is the fact that it is guitarist Vin Accardi who has written most of the songs on the album. However, his writing style, despite being simpler than vocalist Jesse Lacey's, is no less effective. Fans who were complaining about Vin's arguably weak songwriting in Handcuffs from The Devil and God will have nothing to say. Try and tell which songs were written by Vin and which by Jesse. It is impossible. Another thing fans will notice is that without a lyrics sheet, it is incredibly difficult interpreting what Jesse Lacey is saying. Oh yeah, I hadn't said. When I said 'aggressive' before, I meant it. Jesse spends most of the album shrieking his lungs out. However, beneath his screams, are some truly beautiful lyrics. If The Devil and God had sounded like the work of someone who was truly depressed as all hell, then Daisy is the work of someone on the verge of breaking down. The lyrics are fantastically dark. Even darker than before, and that's saying something. The biblical references are layered harder than before, and there are constant references to fires, forests, and beds. It is clear that this album has had great thought put into it, and is a multi-faceted work of art. Take some time to think about it. You won't be able to absorb it in one, two, or three sittings. It'll take alot of listening. However, the lyrics are not perfect, some lines just fall flat. Luckily, there are usually some beautiful insights just around the bend. // 9

Overall Impression: Daisy cannot be compared to other indie albums out there on the scene. It is something other bands cannot reproduce, if for no other reason than an album as polarizing as this could never be released by a band without the following Brand New commands. The second half of the album is extremely impressive, both lyrically and sonically. This album will alienate people. There can be no argument from that. The casual listener will be thrown off track. Even the long term Brand New fan could easily be disenchanted by this album. But for those with an open ear, it cannot be argued that Brand New have continued their streak of making genre defying/defining albums. // 10

Daisy Reviewed by: NewPoetry016, on september 22, 2009

Sound: Right from the get go, you know that this is going to be a different record from anything Brand New has made before from the first track on. It seems to me Brand New have, for the most part, moved away from writing catchy hooks to trying to make some noise rock i.e. Vices, Be Gone, end of Gasoline. To me I think this record is an extension of an album that could've had "The Archers Bows Are Broken" as their first single. Jesse Lacey screams a lot in this album and does it well and at the right time. As a Brand New fan from the start, I can say I didn't expect it to sound like this, but I've been pleasantly surprised by some of the tracks on here. It goes without saying that most if not all of these songs contain amazing lyrics Vices starts out with a clip of a women playing some sort of ballad before going into a noise infested free for all. Bed is one of my least favorite tracks on the album, not because it's probably the slowest, but the track seems rather boring with uncommonly easy rhymes. At The Bottom, the first single, has an odd intro, but picks up into a great sounding chorus. It's a powerful that's worth a listen. At parts of Gasoline, I see some of the older Brand New come back. This is one of the tracks that a majority of it is Jesse screaming. One of the better lyrical songs. You Stole is a great buildup song filled with eerie guitars reminiscent of, dare i say, the Arctic Monkeys; well at least their new stuff, before heading into a heavier breakdown. Another great lyrical performance by the band Hands down the weirdest song goes to Be Gone, with it's 1:31 of eastern guitar and muffled sounds/vocals Sink is another song that features Jesse screaming. One of the best tracks to just rock out to. It picks up right away and the best word to describe it is powerful Bought a Bride is another powerful song that old Brand New fans will most definitely enjoy. To me this song incapsulates the sound of the guitar that they used for this record. Not very conventional but different. Now for my personal favorite song, Daisy. Im tired of saying it, especially after Sink and Bought a Bride however Daisy is another powerful song featuring smooth and soft guitar, great interpretive lyrics, powerful and percussion and bold vocals. In a jar, similar to Be Gone, features some eastern guitar influence and repetitive, rather odd lyrics. Another great rock track if you can get past the intro. The last song, and longest clocking in at 6:27, Noro doesn't seem it was written as a catchy song but at some times during the song you just can't help but sway to the beat. Then the track turns into some more noise instrumentation before playing the ballad from the beginning of the first track, Vices. To me that simulates a continuation of the record; a sense of how every track has a commonality and is connected in some way. It's clear Brand New was attempting to make a change in musical direction and they accomplished that and then some. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics have a taken a turn just like the music however you still can see some of the old with the new. Some of my favorite lines are just as clever as ever "You tried to put a fire out, but you used gasoline." Satirical biblical references like "Holding out for rest but on the seventh day, I've created nothing and I'm wide awake." or There's too many saviors on my cross again, I know I'm never going to be a perfect man." There seems to be a new theme in some of the Brand New songs and that theme is nature. This can be seen in lines like "Well if we take all these things and we bury them fast And we'll pray that they turn into seeds, to roots and then grass It'd be all right, it's all right." and "Little light, lead us through the night, and if we die, burn down the forest." Other than these obvious new and old themes, I can't seem to make much sense of some of the other lyrics at present, and Jesse's probably happy about that. But as is the case for all lyrics, they are open to interpretation so make of them what you will. // 10

Overall Impression: So to some up the new album I would definitely see this as a great change of direction from the previous record. This new record pulls you into a new, dark, and odd atmosphere that you fight through as the record goes. It seems hard to compare this new sound to anyone in particular but if I were to take a crack at it I would say there are some obvious Modest Mouse influences, eastern musical influence, and also large components of noise rock influence. The most impressive sequence in the album is hands down from Sink to Daisy, these powerful songs all proceed very smoothly and leave an impression. // 8

Daisy Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 03, 2010

Sound: Flooding the emo' subgenre for the last half-decade or so with glamorous thrashing, witty lyrics and an ever-evolving sound, Brand New return with a grittier, heavier set of tracks than ever before. With The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me, front man Jesse Lacey experienced a metamorphosis by writing more clever and powerful songs that varied in both sound and lyrical content. Tracks like Degausser sent listeners into an even deeper level of gloom with Lacey screaming such lines as I can't shake this little feeling, I'll never get anything right that capture listener's attention. The newest album, Daisy, tries to recapture this essence while still presenting creative tactics to distance itself from previous work. This unfortunately may be Daisy's biggest downfall as the band at times tries too hard to reel listeners in. Daisy attempts to delve into an even heavier, wider cesspool of despair and depression than before and at some parts, it succeeds relatively well. The opening track, Vices, is far and away Brand New's darkest and most intense track yet, as it begins with an excerpt from an old number by Bertrand Brown, then goes straight into noisy, screaming, off the wall guitars accompanied by Jesse Lacey's relentless jarring of We need vices in a yell that not even The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me reached. The title track, probably the highlight of the entire album, starts off with a rather relaxed sonic guitar line, then breaks into an explosive portion headlined by bassist Garrett Tinney, creating an addictive vibration of sound that stuns listeners while simultaneously questioning the idea of psychological rebirth as Vincent Accardi (who wrote the track) reveals his doubts of his own worldly value with Lacey singing softly I'm a preacher with no pulpit, spewing a sermon that goes on and on. // 8

Lyrics: From this point on, Daisy begins to falter. While Accardi's song writing skills are nothing to laugh about, they often pale into comparison to that of Lacey, which will frustrate many returning fans. The monotonous sound of Bed is easily the most boring track on the record, with the sloth-like repetition of Laid her on the bed, a line from the chorus that seems to take up nearly half the song that is supported by an uninspiring guitar line that will produce confusion as to whether or not this is even Brand New playing. The album lacks the beautiful soft to loud transitions of guitars that flowed so well in the previous album. Many of the tracks seem out of place, especially Be Gone, which seems to be a filler track although it does show some originality with the vocals. Gasoline takes away from the album's overall novelty, with generic lyrics such as So there's a sickness going around, but no one's got a vaccine that seems to rely too much on the overwhelming beating of the drums and Lacey's explosive screaming. The muffled yells and over-the-top guitar seem to try way too hard to capture our attentiveness during In a Jar resulting in a seemingly rushed piece of music. By the end of the album, fans will still be impressed with the group yet feel some disappointment that it doesn't measure up to previous work. // 7

Overall Impression: While Daisy does have its share of issues, it is by no means a bad album. The issue is that it falls beneath Brand New's lofty standards. While the yelling and creativeness does work in many of the tracks, Brand New seems to have come to a crossroads in their career with one road leading to another album and another finally ending their exceptional career with two great albums drifting in their wake. // 7

More Brand New reviews rating latest review