Deja Entendu Review

9.3
 9.2
 9.3
Deja Entendu Reviewed by: Cadd99, on june 17, 2004

Sound: Brand New is by far the best Emo band (if not the best band period) out there today. I was a Brand New fan since they released their first CD "Your Favorite Weapon" a few years ago. That CD sounded like a punk/rock CD, but a very good one. But when you look and listen a little closer, you realize that not only is the music good, but so are the lyrics. Brand New is known for their amazing lyrics. Deja Entendu ("already heard" in French) is Brand New's sophomore album. With this album, they moved away from the Punk/rock origins, and matured into an astoundingly good Emo band. They moved away from powerchords and from screaming vocals, and intead, varied the types of musical styles that they used on this CD almost every song. A great example of this is the transition between "Sic Transit Gloria...Glory Fades", a very fast pased song with a loud and agressive chorus, and "I Will Play My Game Beneath The Spin Light", a very heartfelt and emotional slower song with mostly acoustic guitar. This band's sound varies a lot through the CD, but that is what makes this CD and this band so amazing. // 10

Lyrics: Ohhh. The best part of this band: the lyrics. I will go into an analysis of each song for this part. 01. "Sic Transit Gloria...glory Fades" - This is a song about teen sex, about being used and controlled, and about being taken advantage of. The fast pace of the lyrics really gets your heart beating, you can really see that he (Jesse Lacey, Brand New's songwriter/composer/rhythm guitar/lead vocalist) means what he is saying, and that he is trying to convey a point. 02. "I Will Play My Game Beneath The Spin Light" - This song is a mostly acoustic song, which fits the lyrics very well. It is about being on tour, being homesick and missing everything back home, and about being in the music business. If you listen to Jesse's voice in this song, it sounds like he is very emotional, almost on the verge of crying. 03. "Okay, I Believe You, But My Tommy Gun Don't" - From what I can tell, this song is about anyone who Jesse doesn't particularly like ("Every line is about who I don't want to write about anymore"). This song contains some of the best lyrics on the CD. In the first verse, Jesse talks about what he doesn't like in himself, but he is being a little arrogant ("I am heaven sent" "Oh...it hurts to be this good"). It also seems to talk about John Nolan a little, and the whole "Seventy Times 7" and "There's No I In Team" incident with line like "We admit to the truth, we are the best at what we do, and these are the words you wish you wrote down, this is the way you wish your voice sounds, handsome and smart...". 04. "The Quiet Things That No One Ever Knows" - This song contains really good lyrics, but they are some of the worst on the CD believe it or not. The song is about teen life, and an incident that happened to Jesse and someone he loved. It is still an amazing song. 05. "The Boy Who Blocked His Own Shot" - By the end of this song, you will change this title to (from Jesse's perspective) "I Am The Boy Who Blocked His Own Shot". This is a very sad song that has to deal with a relationship where Jesse was still in love with a girl and she dumped him, and never wanted to see him again, but Jesse still loved her after that. The bridge is probably the best part of this song. 06. "Jaws Theme Swimming" - I have no idea what this song is about, sorry, but all I know is that the lyrics are good. 07. "Me Vs. Maradona Vs. Elvis" - This song is about a date-rape-esque incident that Jesse was involved in. This song kind of freaks me out, but I like it a lot. It is one of my favorite songs on the CD. It seems from the lyrics of this song that Jesse was very aware of what he was doing when he was doing this incident. This song makes Jesse seem like an evil person, but he wrote it for a reason, and that reason was probably to show that he was not content with these actions. 08. "Guernica" - This song is about someone in Jesse's family who is or was sick that he was very close with. From the lines "Is this the way a toy feels when its betteries run dry", you can tell that it was probably an older person, preferably a grandparent of his. This song's lyrics are amazing, and it is very sad because you can tell that Jesse would do anything to heal this person, but cannot, and it gives you some insight on how useless we can be sometimes. 09. "Good To Know That If I Ever Need Attention, All I Need To Do Is Die" - This song wins the "Longest Song Title" award. This song is about the Record Business, and how they are in control of the bands and artists that they sign. "You constantly make it impossible to make converstion, you keep us comatose but audible", this talks about how they are like puppets, that they only can talk when their label tells them to, and except for that, it is like they are "comatose". This song gets very violent in the lines "We pray like wolves among the sheep and slit the necks of soldiers while they sleep". You can tell from these lines that they are very angry at the music business/record labels. 10. "Play Crack The Sky" - This whole song is a metaphor using boats and sailing. You can tell that from Jesse's knowledge of boats in this song, that when he was younger he used to go sailing a lot or was interested in boats. The lyrical style of this song is very different from all the other songs, and it sets this song apart. This song is also 100% acoustic. Overall, every song on this CD is a lyrical masterpiece, and the music and Jesse's vocals fit the lyrics perfectly. // 10

Overall Impression: This band and CD blows all other CD's away. No competition, because Brand New is in their own league. Every song is just as impressive as the other. Any song that lacks lyrically, is made up for musically, and any song that lacks musically, is made up for lyrically. I love every single thing about this CD. And if it were stolen or lost, no doubt would I buy it again. It is definitely worth buying, so buy this CD if you havent already! // 10

Deja Entendu Reviewed by: NGD1313, on october 23, 2006

Sound: Deja Entendu was interesting soundwise. Not much in the way of innovation but still artfully done. There were some quirky riffs such as "Okay I Believe You, But My Tommy Gun Don't" and some beautiful acoustic work on "Play Crack The Sky" and "I Will Play My Game Beneath The Spin Light" but the sound of "Sic Transit Gloria... Glory Fades" was by far the highlight of the album. The chord progressions and anthemic sound made it a great listen. Brand New was not so quick to abandon their pop-punk sound from their debut album, "Your Favorite Weapon", weapon though. Probably most notably seen in "The Quiet Things That No One Ever Knows" which has been called Deja Entendu's answer to Jude Law and a Semester Abroad. Overall the sound was well done and although there was nothing to innovative, there's nothing wrong with old as long as it's well done, after all, Deja Entendu does mean "already heard". // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics of Jesse Lacey are incredible. The insight he puts into each line is moving at times and he manages the incredible feat of making each line mean something very personal to the band, but at the same time making it incredibly relateable to the listener. For this album I have chosen to do a song by song analysis: 01. Tautou - a short piece but skillfully done and with powerful lyrics such as "I'm sinking like a stone in the sea, I'm burning like a bridge for your body". It's about Jesse's overwhelming desire for a girl. Probably my least favorite song on the album for the lack of lyrical variation and length, but still a good song. 02. Sic Transit Gloria... Glory Fades - one of the top songs on the record. The songs appears to be about an older woman taking advantage of a young man and even though the man doesn't want it he fails to stop it. The instrumental work meshes greatly with the lyrics and the anthemic feel to it is wonderful. The resounding, screamed chorus "Die young and save yourself!" is absolutely ace and possibly my favorite one liner from the whole album. Overall a great song. 03. I Will Play My Game Beneath The Spin Light - an absolute gem lyrically. This may be my favorite song off the album just for it showcasing Jesse's ability to write these downright cool one-liners and mix them all together and even better yet, have them make sense. The song is about the band's touring and homesickness and includes great lyrics such as "I won't see home this spring, Oh, I would kill for the Atlantic, but I am paid to make girls panic while I sing". One of the top 3 songs on the album. 04. Okay I Believe You, But My Tommy Gun Don't - this and "I Will Play My Game Beneath the Spin Light" are the two front runners lyrically in my opinion. It appears to be about Jesse having a falling out with a girl and him tell her what she was missing out on. He at times appears arrogant with well thought out lines such as "I am, all you've ever wanted, what all the other boys all promised" and even comes off as bitter in lines like "Hope you come down with something they can't diagnose, don't have the cure for." Overally an excellent song definitely one of my favorites. 05. The Quiet Things That No One Ever Knows - some of the most lacking lyrics on the entire album, and I still love them. This song is about a relationship in which Jesse is trying to take things slow and keep himself calm. The lyrics aren't as good as some of the other songs but definitely would hold their own against most other bands and I love this song if only for it's incredibly catchy chorus. 06. The Boy Who Blocked His Own Shot - very pretty acoustic song which goes excellent with the lyrics. The song is about a girl breaking up with Jesse and him still loving her but trying to do his best to ease her pain. The title has drawn comparisons to The Smiths' "The Boy With A Thorn In His Side". The lyrics sound truly heartfelt and Jesse does a wonderful job singing them and "Call me a safe bet, I'm betting I'm not" has become widely known for it's excellence at expressing self-doubt and depression, but the most wonderful lyrics in the whole song and quite possibly the whole album are Jesse saying how much she means to him "You are so fragile and thin, standing trial for your sins, holding onto yourself the best you can, you are the smell before your rain, you are the blood in my veins." Overall a masterpiece as far as breakup songs go. 07. Jaws Theme Swimming - a very oddball song but is very fun to listen to. The lyrics at first appear to be about a private eye type character following a girl but then the character is proclaiming her love for he so it could possibly be a stalker type love in which the character is madly in love with a girl he doesn't know. The lyrics are good and the mesh beautifully with the music and the bassline that plays out the song is amazing. Overall a very quirky song and a definite good listen. 08. Me Vs. Maradona Vs. Elvis - very powerful and eerie song. It's Jesse's persepective on date rape and it's so artfully done and vivid that I could actually see it happening as he sung about it. The lyrics are also well thought out and haunting like "You're using all your looks, that you've thrown from the start, if you let me have my way I swear I'll tear you apart", "Bring you back to the bar, get you out of the cold, a sober, straight face gets you out of your clothes", and, my personal favorite, "And your hair, smells of smoke, who will cast, the first stone, you can sin, or spend the night all alone". Overall an excellent song. 09. Guernica - this song symbolizes everything Brand New is about; it's powerful, heartfelt, and sad. It describes the death of Jesse's grandfather. It describes Jesse's desire to distance himself from the real world and his helplessness in not being able to save his grandfather with lines like "These lungs are fresh and yours to keep, kept clean and they will let you breathe" and "If I could, I would shrink myself, seep through your skin to your blood cells, remove whatever makes you hurt, but I am to weak to be your cure". Overall a work of art worth many listens. 10. Good To Know That If I Ever Need Attention, All I Have To Do Is Die - this song is a good song overall but sub-par for the album which makes it hard to look at it objectively but I'll try my best. It describes the band's frustration with their label and how they try to keep them in line. The song lacks in lyrical variation but the lyrics it has are skillfully written. The song also contains some excellent one-liners such as "I will hold the past over your head, I'll speak my mind whenever I feel slighted, I am hellbent on extracting all of my revenge, Take heart, sweetheart, or I will take it from you" and "We prey as wolves among the sheep and slit the necks of soliders while they sleep". However, the chorus is quite catchy which is good because it is repeated many times. Overall a good song although not quite as good as the other songs on the album. 11. Play Crack The Sky - maybe the most artfully done lyrics on the whole album as Jesse describes his smooth sailing ship that is suddenly overcome by a storm and compares it with a relationship. A good example of this is "They call them rogues, they travel fast and alone, 100 foot faces of God's good ocean gone wrong, and they say love is a risk, to always get hit out of nowhere, by some wave and end up on your own". The song ends with a crash and the deaths of the crew which appears to be a description of the end of Jesse's relationship as shown here "They say that the captain stays fast with the ship, through still and storm, but this ain't the Dakota, the water's cold, we won't have to fight for long" and finally the powerful last lines which fittingly end the album "I know that this is what you want, a funeral keeps both of us apart, you know that you are not alone, I need you like water in my lungs". Overall a great song and a good way to end the album. // 10

Overall Impression: Brand New's powerful lyrics and well done instrumentals make them easily one of the best, if not the best band on the scene today and every song is worth listening to. Their ability to change my mood just by listening to them is incredible and the emotion that emanates in every song makes them unique in every way. There's little to dislike about this CD except that it makes most other CDs just seem mediocre. If this CD were stolen or lost, I would buy 3 more copies just to be safe. // 10

Deja Entendu Reviewed by: UG Team, on august 28, 2003

Sound: Deja Entendu is exactly what I've been looking for ever since I realized The Smashing Pumpkins will never release a "punk" album. This CD is the perfect blend of rock and roll sounds with punk attitude. However, it is much more. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrical genius of Jesse turns a song about moving too fast in a relationship into a sexy sounding, thought provoking anthem (Sic Transit Gloria...Glory Fades). All the songs have that sort of aspect to them where you know they have meaning to the band but you can share the feeling just as much. That's what music is about, really. Being able to feel the songs giving you the creepy crawlies is a major accomplishment. Fans of the old Brand New may miss the catchy, poopy, sing-a-longs of "Your Favorite Weapon." I, for one, find the choruses in Deja to be just as catchy, if not more. True, only hearing one or two members throughout most of the songs is a funny feeling. However, the creativeness of those songs is amazing. No more simple love ballads any angst-ridden teenager can play. This CD gives you honest songwriting that doesn't take five minutes to put together. // 10

Overall Impression: I give this CD a 5 because when I think of my favorite songs on it, almost all of them stick out. Listen to this CD if you like punk, rock, pop, or even jazz. // 10

Deja Entendu Reviewed by: fishboneul03, on november 18, 2003

Sound: Dark, moody record completely unlike "your favorite weapon". It sounds like "your favorite weapon" having a bad day. The Two part lyrics/harmonies are amazing. It's a cd I can listen too straight through, with powerful speedy tracks and mellow tracks. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are just what you would expect from brand new. Honest, well stated and most of all, two part. Some of the songs have enough back lyrics for a second song. Each song evokes strong emotion and really lets you into the writers thoughts. "I will play my game beneath the spin light" lets you feel lonely and homesick, "play crack the sky" is a metaphoric song that really gets me thinking. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is nothing like "your favorite weapon", or anything else I've heard for that matter. I was most impressed by "Sic transit gloria", "I will play my game beneath the spin light" and "ok I beleive you but my tommy gun dont". If I ever lost this, I would definitely buy it again, and listen to it over and over like I do now. // 10

Deja Entendu Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 25, 2003

Sound: The quality aspect of the sound this CD is very good. The sound itself is amazing. This CD has influences from almost every kind of music, and is overall excellent. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this CD are so catchy, clever, and talented it makes me jealous. There are countless little phrases the you find yourself saying or putting in your AIM profile. The singing itsself is also amazing, with just enough of everything. I love the harmonies, and the background parts that you really have to listen for. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this is my favorite CD, bar none. None of the songs sound the same, yet they all kick ass and appeal to me. I didnt think that was possible. Its like every song is a different band, not saying that it is inconsistent, but that they do not repeat anything. The CD pregresses very well in its entirety, and there is no favorite song. I love everything about the CD, eventhough at first I thought some of the songs were a little weird, I grew to Love them after a bit. If it were stolen, I would find whoever took it and beat their ass, and then complement their music taste for not stealing an old Blink 182 CD. It's a bit screamy, but not too much. It can't compare to Your favorite weapon; it is very different. But if you like their other CD, Taking Back Sunday, etc, and come to think of it, any rock or acoustic, music you will probabally love this CD. // 10

Deja Entendu Reviewed by: falloutboy, on january 19, 2004

Sound: Brand New was able to combine Blues, Emo and some sort of jazz sound in one amazing album. The sound is amazing, every song has a unique sound to it. Even the 1st song Tautou, is fun to listen to and the lyrics consist of "I'm sinking like a stone in the sea, I'm burning like a bridge for your body." They have a way of combining so many different sounds into one, it's incredible. And Jessie's voice is so unique and the combination of the back vocals and his is also amazing. // 10

Lyrics: Seriously, the lyrics are so amazingly genious its unbelievable. The lyrics are so creative and witty. He has a way of making the lyrics incredibly witty, and some people don't notice it. The lyrics are beautifully sang by Jessie's amazing voice, and fit perfect with the slow, and sometimes fast melodic music. " We admit to the truth, we are the best at what we do." // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to Your Favorite Weapon, this one blows it out. You can tell they evolved so much from the last album, whihc was pop/punkish. I know some people might favor the more catchy, poppier first album, but music wise if they can't admit this is 10 times better, they don't know anything about music. I've listened to this CD 10 times over and never got bored. I strongly recommend if you are a fan of bands like Taking Back Sunday, Straylight Run, Matchbook Romance, and just Emo in general, definitely go buy this Cd, you won't regret it. I'd say it is the best overall CD I own. // 10

Deja Entendu Reviewed by: AlternRocker17, on january 30, 2004

Sound: I really love the screamed backing vocals on this album, I'm not a big fan of screamed vocals but find that the backing vocals on this type of album (i.e. sound as though they are being shouted from the other end of a tunnel) are really effective. I like the way that they haven't just set out to play as fast as they can and hang the consequences. They've written some very musical and thoughtful songs, with it has to be said- some interesting song titles! They don't sound like all the other bands that just find a line and stick to it resolutely. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very wry and at times very sarcastic 'oh it hurts to be this good'. 'The quiet things that no one every knows' is a ballard for the recently dumped and 'me vs maradonna vs elvis' is a very clver song about alcoholism and trying to get a girl drunk and into bed. The songs are cleverly written and fit in extremely well with the album. They help create a very sombre and mysterious atmosphere that surrounds the album and draws you in. // 8

Overall Impression: I thought this album was superb- it was much better than theyre last album and almost seemed to take them in a whole new direction. It is a refreshing change from the normal wave of generic pop punk bands and is a cut above most of the music out there at the moment. The most impressive songs are 'sic transit gloria...glory fades', 'The quiet things that no one ever knows' 'jaws theme swimming' and 'me vs maradonna vs elvis' although I don't think you could say it has a bad song. It is not an album of singles but a complete album. You won't want to pick out certain songs to play you'll just want to play the whole lot as a whole. If I lost this album I would definitely re-buy it because I listen to it everyday at the moment and I'd have to fill an hour doing something else! // 10

Deja Entendu Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 07, 2004

Sound: Deja Entendu by Long Island's "Brand New" is basically a tribute to the bands favorite artists. In the linear notes of the album there is a section titled "Listen To." There you will find a list of about 30 artists that the band considers an influence to their new sound. In each song you can hear bits of each and every artist listed there. If you listen even closer, you can even here some familiar riffs from these artists. Despite the album being a "tribute" it is also an amazing and original piece of music. It has a dark and moody tone that is actually pretty mellow. The riffs and hooks are very loose until the catchy and tight choruses come in. Each song has a different tone. From mellow acoustic numbers (Play Crack the Sky) to hard-hitting standouts (Sic Transit Gloria...Glory Fades.)This is a huge maturation from Your Favorite Weapon which was pretty much your basic punk-pop/pop-emo album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are some of the best and personal lyrics I have seen in a band in the past few years. From the haunting openers only words, I'm sinking like a stone in the sea, I'm burning like a bridge for your body, to the albums romantic end, each song has a personal message that everyone can relate to. While most emo bands cry and cry about some girl that broke their hearts years ago, Brand New covers diverse topics such as being in a cocky band, losing a loved one to disease, and even paints a love story that is torn apart by the menace of the sea. Each song will put you into the time and place it creates, which will send shivers down your neck with each second and word. Jesse Lacey is also the perfect vocalist for the sound and atmosphere he creates. Each song has layers and layers of yearning vocals that send the emotions of the songs straight to your heart and soul. The album can go to intense screaming to a soft whisper. There are even times that you discover a few new lines or even an entirely new vocal track under the well-placed harmonies. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this is an Amazing album. While most Emo bands sound whiny and sad, Brand New can hit just as hard without the clich' lyrics and sounds that come with the genre. I recommend this album to any fans on the genre or the band. // 10

Deja Entendu Reviewed by: lassise, on february 16, 2004

Sound: Well I have to say I'm not really impressed by brand new's sound. Surely they have a nice, rock-beat but I don't see what the big deal is. It's your typical, "I'm a depressed person who can't get a girl" kind of music. I see all the music magazines and they rave about Brand New's "unique lyrics and sound" but I don't see the difference from any other emo/rock band. // 4

Lyrics: hmph...media makes you think that Brand New is so amazing and has wonderful, meaningful, lyrics. Every song is about a girl or something stupid and meaningless. There's nothing to be impressed about in their lyrics. The bass and guitar riffs aren't half bad though. The singer has a good, strong voice as well. // 6

Overall Impression: I'll just simply put it this way: - stop listening to the media that raves about Brand New, this album is the same as any other band's album. Just download this cd, it's not worth buying unless you're one of those abercrombie followers who only listen to what the media likes, not what you like. This is basicly your typical rock band...you'd probably like this cd but I doubt you would think it's anything 'brand new' from what you've heard in previous years. // 6

Deja Entendu Reviewed by: *Truly Ninja*, on february 17, 2004

Sound: Brand New. Your standard screamo band. Exepct frequent power chords and simple progressions. When they use their brains to make a few innovations, it becomes amazing. The bass-driven "Sic Transit Gloria...Glory Fades" is the best song, sound-wise, on the album. Many others are forgettable. I wish these guys would be a little bit more creative with their sounds, because when they are it is spectacular. That, however, doesn't occur often on this record. // 6

Lyrics: Lyrics: Again, standard emo fare. Songs about girls. Songs about people who have cancer. Songs about missing home. Songs about car crashes.I'll give Jesse Lacey a few props. Half of the time his observations are witty or otherwise pleasing. The other half of his lyrics are either too trite, too sappy, or just plain dumb. ("Is this the way a toy feels when its batteries run dry?") One thing I DO like, though is the shouted back-and-forth choruses and the screaming. They're both artfully done. // 6

Overall Impression: This is the best Brand New album, but their first album, Your Favorite Weapon, wasn't particularly difficult to top. This album was my favorite album for about the week after I bought it. Then I realised, "Hey, this isn't really that great." Now all it's used for is for putting the best songs, specifically "Guernica" and "Sic Transit Gloria" onto mix cds for myself and friends. If I lost this album, I probably would not go out and buy it again. Don't get me wrong, this is not a terrible album. But there are better things available for your thirteen bucks. // 6

Deja Entendu Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 17, 2004

Sound: Brand New is a fairly new artist, they have only released two full length albums, and still, I believe they are one of the best sounding bands I have ever heard. Some people will say that they are the same as any other screaming emo band, but they go much deeper than that. Jesse Lacey's lyrics are innovative and very deep. From songs like Sic Transit Gloria... Glory Fades to Okay I Believe you but my Tommy Gun Don't, they are creative, and make something simple, sound complex and simply put, amazin. This is my favourite album, and I don't know if that will ever change. // 10

Lyrics: Like a put generally in the sound section, Jesse Lacey is amazing, he takes basic emo style lyrics, and he makes them very deep and creative. The screaming back and forth, with singing swaps by Jesse and Vinnie, is quite refreshing, and the deep low singing sections, with a strong beat. The music and lyrics fit together perfectly, and I can say that this is one band that I can really relate to what they're saying. // 10

Overall Impression: Brand New, if not already, will soon be the top artist in the emo genre. They simply destroy their opposition, with their depth in their instruments, lyrics and sound. The most impressive songs on this album are Sic Transit, Okay I believe you, The Quiet Things, and Good to Know. There is nothing I hated about this album, I love every bit, even the short Intro song. I would buy 5 copies of this jsut to make sure if I lost it I'd always have a backup. So yes, go out and buy Brand New, now! // 10

Deja Entendu Reviewed by: RockerDave666, on february 24, 2004

Sound: The sound on this album is freaken awesome. Its different then their first album (Your Favourite Weapon) which was more on the pop emo punk side, this ones slower pace at some points and deeper. This album is also more on the rock side. They use interesting riffs at some points and later regular power chords but Jessie makes up for that with the singing. They have a variety of styles of music, from acoustic stuff to sweet fast punk stuff and then to slower rock even jazzie sounds. // 10

Lyrics: The Singing is AWESOME, I love the harmonies with the screaming and yelling and then the regular singing. The lyrics are brilliant! Anyone who says they are too "sappy" or "stupid" is wrong! They are awesome lyrics and very creative. I wish I could write lyrics like Jessie. // 10

Overall Impression: This Album Rocks!!! It's definitely one of my favourite albums of all time. If anyone ever asks me who my favouite band is I'm going to say Brand New. Some Of the Best Songs on it are: Play Crack The Sky, The Quiet Things That No One Ever Knows, Sic Transit Gloria, Guernica, Jaws Theme Swimming! If It was ever lost or stolen I'd Be SO PISSED. Id deffinetly go out and buy another one! Right Away! It is Worth buying! I lOve BrandNew!!! \m/! // 10

Deja Entendu Reviewed by: kryptonite22, on march 23, 2004

Sound: Since Brand New's debut LP "Your Favourite Weapon", their sound has matured a lot. This album is a hell of a lot mellower, with more of an emo focus than the last record's pop-punk style. It is a matter of opinion whether this change in style represents personal growth or a chance to sell more records by jumping off the tired pop-punk bandwagon. That said, "Deja Entendu" benefits highly from this new direction. Gone is the melodic, sing-a-long sound, to be replaced with slower, more emotional songs. Brand New don't claim to be anything original - the name "Deja Entendu" means "already heard" in French - but they are very good at what they do. There are a maix of louder songs and quieter, acoustic numbers. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are hard to fault. The only complaint you might have is if you think they are too emotional, which admittedly in places they can be. For the most part, however, the lines are written poetically, but stillmanage to remain simple and clever, which is very hard to pull off. Each song reads like a story, and to make words of that standard blend into a song is impressive indeed. The singer, Jesse, does not have an outstanding voice. Nor can he scream particularly well. Admittedly, he is better than me, but there are better. However, he does the job. // 10

Overall Impression: It's a good album, but not one I feel is justified by the hype. I do not believe that every track is great, and by no means is the album flawless. Songs like "Sic Transit Gloria" are catchy and recognisable, and the louder songs such as this are easily the best on the CD. Other key songs include "Okay I Believe You, but my Tommy Gun don't", "Guernica" and "The Quiet things that no-one ever knows". It's a shame there are so many mellow moments, because the loudest songs are the best. Overall, though, it's a good album, and 2004 seems destined to be their year. // 8

Deja Entendu Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 06, 2004

Sound: The mellow sound of Brand New's 'Deja Entendu' makes it perfect to listen to no matter what kind of mood you are in. The bass lines are amazing, and they really play around with the guitar and drums. It takes a lot of talent to put music together the way these guys do! Musically the best two songs on this album are 'Jaws Theme Swimming' and 'Good to Know..' Amazing! // 10

Lyrics: Jesse's voice goes along perfect with the lyrics. The yearning and almost begging sound of his voice makes the lyrics that much better. The lyrics are something everyone can relate to without being too mainstream. Theres a little mystery along with the lyrics, such as relating heartbreak with a shipwreck. The words to these songs are a story in which you follow Jesse and feel for his heartbreak. I have to admit to getting goosbumps when I hear 'Play Crack The Sky'. The lyrics are haunting and meaningful. // 10

Overall Impression: This cd hasn't come out of my cd player since I bought it. It is a huge step forward since their debut album 'Your Favorite Weapon'. I would recommend this cd to anyone who likes to think about the music they are listening to. The cd is definately worth buying, and if you do buy it makes sure you listen to the message they're trying to get out there. They are an amazing band. // 10

Deja Entendu Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 04, 2004

Sound: 'Deja Entendu' is an excellent album from Brand New. This band is not your typical pop-punk/emo band who whines about girls in almost every song. Sure, it has love songs, but it also has songs about Jesse Lacey's (rhythm guitar/vocals) grandfather dying from cancer, the downside of being on the road all the time touring, sarcasm, and even a ballad of a ship sinking. The guitars, bass, and drums all fit together perfectly. // 10

Lyrics: Jesse Lacey is one of the best songwriters in the musical world today. These lyrics were written 10 minutes before the song was recorded (according to their website)'This is the craze only we can bestow. This is the price you pay for loss of control. This is the break in the battle. This is the closest of calls. This is the reason you're alone. This is the reason you fall' and also, 'This is war. Every line is about who I don't want to write about anymore.' He even boasts, sarcastically about himself in 'Okay I Believe You, But My Tommygun Don't', which is one of the cd's greatest songs. Jesse Lacey and Vincent Accardi don't scream every word in the song so you can't tell what in the hell they're saying either. Sometimes one screams the lyrics in the back, while the other sings them softly. Or a lot of the time, they switch off singing every line or so. Overall, I think the lyrics are some of the most memorable ever and 'make' the cd what it is. Awesome. // 10

Overall Impression: If I lost this cd, I would buy another. And then I'd buy a thousand more for 'just in case'. 'Deja Entendu' (which means 'Already Heard') is a big step forward from 'Your Favorite Weapon' which was a little less darker and had some pop-punk sound to it (but its also a great album). I suggest you buy this cd if you're into Taking Back Sunday, Yellowcard, Incubus, Fugazi, Dashboard Confessionals, Finch, Thursday, etc. And if you don't like any of these bands, then buy this cd anyway. It's worth a zillion times its price. // 10

Deja Entendu Reviewed by: lemming, on june 14, 2005

Sound: On this album Brand New have explore a range of different sounds from the souly acoustic mellow chords from Play The Crack In The Sky to the more heavy playing in The Quiet Thing, and unlike their last album they use the bass tone a lot more, explored expiecially well in Sic Transit Gloria Glory Fades and Jaws Theme Swimming. // 10

Lyrics: On their last album the lyrics where mainly about one topic: getting revenge on the girl who stood you up. However in Deja Entendu Jesse uses a wider range of emotions in his lyrics. Such as confusion "This is so messed up." Dispair "I'm sinking like a stone in the sea" arrogance "I'm heaven sent"/"we are the best at what we do" and lonelyness "collect calls to home, tell them that I realise that everyone who lives will someday die and die alone." Although if its revenge and angry your after it is still there in abundance and just as unsublte and dark as the last album "Hope you come down with something they cant diagnose, dont have the cure for." The back up vocals again complement Jesse's singing. The only critisism being that it is not used enough. I guarentee you will find a song you can relate to. // 10

Overall Impression: Found the band after listening to Taking Back Sunday. Although some of the song follow the same lyrical and instrumental pattern, I feel that Brand News Deja Entendu is a much more in depth. The lyrics often have sub meanings and the long winded strange titles make sense once you discover what the song is about. For example the song Me Vs Elvis Vs Madonna appears to be about someone who lieing to a girl to get them in bed. However more indepth listening to the lyrics show that the song is actual about the fear of ending a washed out celeb, hence Elvis and Maradona. Both of who did drugs and ended there career. // 10

Deja Entendu Reviewed by: iamtheguitarpro, on march 11, 2006

Sound: This is definately more mature than BN's debut album, Your Favorite Weapon. While YFW had an electric feel to it, Deja Entendu is a more meaningful, emotional stab at music. As apposed to quick riffs and solos, Deja has slow, repetitive ballads based on the beat of the drum. You can still tell it's Brand New, though, because the endings are still fast-paced. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics here are almost better than YFW's. Jaws Theme Swimming is about getting older and realizing the people, your parents, for example, were right all along when thay said your were being foolish ("We learn as we age we've learned nothing"), and I think there are a few stabs to Adam Lazzara in there ("Take a leap from out the window, cause it's way to far to go through the door"), who had an affair with Jesse's girlfriend. // 10

Overall Impression: This is by far the best music out there. No, that's not opinion. Unlike Nelly, who writes songs about his how his grillz are pimping, Brand New writes songs about their past. Songs they mean. The best songs from the album are probably Jaws Theme Swimming and Guernica. Go out and buy this, I guarantee you'll at least find it catchy. // 10

Deja Entendu Reviewed by: af2192, on june 29, 2006

Sound: This band is awesome! They have taken their music so seriously and have been putting so much into it and the final result is a great album Deja Entendu. Through even the hardest times this band has courageously persevered and has written music even when their own band member was in the hospital for surgery. After all they've been through, they deserve a huge commencement for the orginality they have brought to the music world through their creative and captivating music. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics to the songs of Brand New are really unique in a sense that they are very meaningful and come from the heart. They really put plenty of effort and thought into writing their songs. Their vocals are awesome. Real life situations and feelings that tell stories are what Brand New's lyrics are all about. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, I love this band and its music. I absolutley love everything about the band and the album. Some of the most impressive songs I must say are probably Sic Transit Gloria... Glory Fades, Okay I Believe You But My Tommy Gun Don't, and Quiet Things That No One Ever Knows. If the album were stolen, I would definitley buy it once more. There's no harm in spending money for your favorite band in the world Brand New! // 9

Deja Entendu Reviewed by: blister_17, on august 26, 2006

Sound: Brand New has definetly changed their sound for this CD. Your Favorite Weapon was more in the pop-punk-emo genre, but unlike a lot of other bands in this genre they proved that they could mature as a band. Jesse Laceys vocals have adapted more to his music. When he wants to sound sly, he sounds sly (Tommy Gun). When he wants to sound nervous, he sounds nervous (Spin Light), and when he has a point, he makes sure he's going to beat it in you (Quiet Things). Every song on this CD, unlike thier last one, sounds different. Save Quiet Things, and there is barely an ounce of pop-punkiness on the whole CD. I can't quite place a genre on this. It's too mature to be pop-punk and too clever to be emo. Call me biased but this is pretty much the definition of alternative rock. While I found myself amazed pretty much with the whole CD, it did have its filler (Jaws Theme, All I Need To Do Is Die, Play Crack The Sky). These songs aren't bad, but will probably bore you upon the first 5 or 6 listens. // 7

Lyrics: The best thing about the whole CD is definetly Jesse Lacey's lyrics. Their the kind of lyrics that emo kids will write on their notebooks but yet everyone else will be tempted to put one on their msn name to sound clever. You know what I mean. I don't know what to say. They are amazing when it comes to lyrics. Go to a lyrics sight and prove it for yourself. Though sometimes his lyrics are a little too personal to his own life and aren't relatable (isn't that what pop punk/emo kids like). // 9

Overall Impression: I can't compare Brand New to any other artist these days. Not saying they are better, because they definetly still have some glitches to work out. The best song on this album, I would have to say, is Okay I Believe You But My Tommy Gun Don't. My friend had burned me this CD and me being more into Grunge, I kind of kept telling myself I'd listen to it later (I'm not an average Fuse watcher). I had my iPod on shuffle one day and this song came on and it was amazing. I've been into them ever since. The worst song would have to be "Good To Know That If I Ever Need Attention All I Need To Do Is Die". Great lyrics, but it is a horrible sounding and overall boring song. I love the fact that they matured so much, and I love the lyrics, but I hate how some of the lyrics are a little too personal to Jesse's life. You need to have personal experience to write a great song, but Jesse's can sometimes be to the point where barely any of us can relate (Spin Light is about being homesick on touring, Guernica is about his grandpa's death, if I ever need attention has to do with the record industry, and me vs maradona vs elvis has to do with a date rape). I have been looking for a solid copy of this CD for under 15$. Kind of makes me mad because everywhere I go it's overpriced! But if my burned copy was stolen, I'd buy the solid CD for even 20$. // 8

Deja Entendu Reviewed by: StarrGuitarist, on december 18, 2013

Sound: Brand New put out "Deja Entendu" in 2003 and since then it has become the staple sound that fans love. Jesse Lacey has a voice full of emotion. His tone shifts ever-so-slightly upwards, giving his voice a choked up feel. The band consists of a Lacey, who plays guitar and sings, another guitarist, Accardi, who's singing is integral to the Brand New sound, a drummer, Lane, and a bassist, Tierney. The sound quality is excellent while still retaining the underproduced sound of the genre. The drums are loud enough to drive the music but doesn't overwhelm the other parts. Fans of "punk screaming" may like this album because of the inclusion of yells and screams. The bass is louder than most albums permit and it does wonders for the sound. The bass being discernible but not overbearing really drives the piece. // 8

Lyrics: The true lyrical showcase of the album is "Sic Transit Gloria... Glory Fades," a song about a virgins experience with a prostitute. Lacey and Accardi sing back and forth in a style that sounds like an inner conflict. Lyrics like "He is the lamb she is the slaughter she's moving way too fast and all he wanted was to hold her" showcase Lacey's driving realist style. The song "Guernica," inspired by Picasso's painting and the slaughter of innocent people by the Spanish dictator has sorrowful lyrics and excellent metaphors. Altogether Lacey combines his desperate voice with Accardi's driving guitar and harmonies makes for a great listening experience. // 9

Overall Impression: "Deja Entendu" has become the staple album for Brand New and many kids have adopted the ballad "The Boy Who Blocked His Own Shot" as their anthem. Compared to "Your Favorite Weapon," this album was their break in to the eye of the public. The most expressive song on the album is "Ok I Believe You But My Tommy Gun Don't." This slower song describes Lacey giving up on the world. He describes how he hates how people act. If this album were stolen I would hunt down he thief and burn him at the stake. This album is precious because it connects to people on many levels. If changes were to be made to it it would not suffer from utilizing the unused material from their demo album, "Fight Off Your Demons." // 10

More Brand New reviews rating latest review