Your Favorite Weapon Review

Lyrics: 9.5
 9.3
 8.6
Your Favorite Weapon Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 03, 2006

Sound: From your first listen and forever after, post-hardcore Long Island band Brand New's debut album will have you head banging, foot tapping and generally rocking out in tune to what you will one day accept to be the most amazing noises youve ever heard. Those 'magical noises' I'm referring to are the musical stylings and lyrical compositions of Brand New frontman Jesse Lacey. From his beyond catchy punk rock guitar hooks to his emotionally stricken vocals, Your Favorite Weapon is a terifficly amazing album in every aspect. Mainly compromised of fast paced, pounding electric guitar tracks, with the occasional acoustic breakdown, the entire album is a musical adventure, sure to be a welcome change for any post hardcore/emo fan tired of todays seemingly neverending slew of monotonous wannabe bands attacking todays scene. The lead singer Jesses voice ranges from noticably bitter and resentful, to resting on the verge of tears, all conveyed through eleven beautiful tracks. // 10

Lyrics: Jesse Lacey is one of the greatest lyricists the world, never mind the punk rock scene has ever seen. His cleverly constructed verses can convey anything from his scathingly vindictive anger (Have another drink and drive yourself home/I hope there's ice on all the roads and you can think of me when you forget your seatbelt and again when your head goes through the windsheild) to much more emotional feelings of betrayel and shame (they say you need to pray to go to heaven, but no one tells you what to say when your whole lifes gone to hell). Many of Brand New's lyrics have deep, personal implications which are close to many angst ridden teens, and are therefore often seen quoted in several places, from around the web to scribbled on the back of notebooks. One of Brand News most popular songs Soco Amaretto Lime was written as a new age teengae athem, boasting lyrics such as (I'm gonna stay eighteen forever, so we can stay like this forever, and well never miss a party cuz we'll keep them going constantly/youre just jealous 'cause we're young and in love). Most of the lyrics on this albuma are terifficly clever such as the 'Shower Scenes' verse (It's funny how all your worst enemies always turn out to be all your best freinds best friends). Jesse Lacey has created an album full of incredibly compliant songs which are easy to relate to and even easier to memorize, and that is one of the main reasons why Brand New is such a hit around the punk scene. // 10

Overall Impression: Brand New is by far one of the best Emo/Post-Hardcore bands to ever grace the scene. Your Favorite Weapon has eleven amazing tracks, the most impressive in my opinion being 'Sudden Death In Carolina', 'Seventy Times Seven' and "Soco Amaretto Lime'. If your looking for an amazing new band, pick up a copy of any Brand New CD, but be careful because it will soon become one of your absolute favorites. And as any true Brand New fan knows, no one can ever have the full experience until they see this band live, they are so much more amazing live than they are on CD, which is an almost impossible feat to accomplish. // 10

Your Favorite Weapon Reviewed by: falloutboy, on january 21, 2004

Sound: Well, this was the first full album release for Brand New, and a lot different then their new album Deja Entendu. I'd have to say, this album is probably the most catchy song I have. Every song has that little hook that will get stuck in your head for days. This is a little emoish, but not much, a little pop-punk, and a little punkish sound. I'd say this album really was the first like emo/pop, album that really sold. It's an album that just every song comes right at you. Jude Law and Semester Abroad, is one of those songs, along with Seventy Times Seven, which was actually written to John Nolan of TBS, weel actually not Straylight Run. // 10

Lyrics: Well, the lyrics are still amazing, but not amazing to the point of Deja Entendu. Songs like Seventy Times Seven, Jude Law..., Mix Tape, Failure By Design, pretty much every song on the CD has great lyrics. I still say Jessie can write as good as any artist out there. And he has one of the most amazing voices I've ever heard. After you can desipher what he is actually saying in his screams, you'll be screaming it in your bedroom every night. // 10

Overall Impression: On a scale of 10, this definetly gets a 9 or 10. Deja Entendu is a better album in my opinion, mostly because they evolved so much. But if you like bands such as Taking Back Sunday, Straylight Run, Matchook Romance, FurtherSeemsForever, and just bands related to those you would love this album. I heard this album and listened to it for months. The best songs are Jude Law and Seventy Times Seven, In my opinion. This is definitely worth buying and 10 times over. I love everything about this album, and it is an amazing piece of work. "Is that what you call a getaway? Tell me what you got away with cause I've seen more spine in jellyfish I've seen more guts in 11 year old kids. So have another drink and drive yourself home, I hope theres ice on all the roads, and you can think of me when you forget your seatbelt, and again when your head goes through the windshield." // 10

Your Favorite Weapon Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 04, 2004

Sound: Brand New's newest cd is probably their best. The fast punky guitar riffs and their emo effect puts out a powerful cd. I was very impressed with the way that they handled the fast music and the fast lyrics without falling apart. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics in the song went with the music and made you think of a cross between Eminem and Blink 182, fast but yet good. The lyrics flowed with the songs and the lyrics on #12 are some of the best ive ever heard. // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of the best albums ive ever listened to and I would recommend it to anyone that likes the genre of music. I love the songs and the fast pace of the music and also the different styles of music that they play. Go buy it now! // 8

Your Favorite Weapon Reviewed by: iamtheguitarpro, on march 10, 2006

Sound: Brand New has an incredible sound. Every song has a hook or solo that'll get stuck in your head. Think of The Postal Service, then think of My Chemical Romance. You've got brand New. While Seventy Times 7 is a fast-paced jumpy get-the-crowd-jumping kind of song, The No Seatbelt Song I know from experience is perfect for that three-hour depression after a break up. // 9

Lyrics: Jesse Lacey was once in a Long Island poetry club of some kind for young musicians. I guess he was the leader or something, because his lyrics are perfect. His voice basically matches up. The end of The Shower Scene is freaking awesome. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a CD I'm not gonna say is the best, because there are a lot of other CDs that I might think the same way about. The most impressively written songs are "Seventy Times 7," "Soco Amaretto Lime" and "Magazines." The only thing that bothers me now is that Brand New haven't updated their website since October. If you pick a brand new CD, I recommend Taking Back Sunday, Death Cab for Cutie, Straylight Run, and Bright Eyes. // 10

Your Favorite Weapon Reviewed by: SkateNDestroy39, on july 27, 2006

Sound: If you like Blink 182, then you should buy this CD. I think this CD is pretty good. I'm having a really hard time writing this review because I want to rush outside and skate. I'll do my best though. A lot of the songs are pretty fast and the vocalists are really good. It also has a couple slow songs on it which are really good. I would probably describe this style of music as emo or punk pop. I've heard all the songs too many times though so the songs are starting to get on my nerves. But it's still a really good CD. // 8

Lyrics: I know that there is something goin on between Taking Back Sunday and Brand New because they copy eachother's lyrics and stuff. I really like these lyrics. They're cynical. that's a good word. I had to look up the meaning, though, because I wasn't sure what it meant. according to the WordPerfect dictionary, it means "contemptuous; mocking." I actually think some of the lyrics are pretty funny. The singers are excellent and stay together really good. The harmony's good too. // 10

Overall Impression: This CD is definitely much more upbeat than Deja Entendu (which is also a really good CD). I like all the songs, but my favorites are "Jude Law and a Semester Abroad," "Seventy Times 7," and "Mix Tape." I like the way the singers stay together well. I would definitely buy this CD again if it were stolen. // 10

Your Favorite Weapon Reviewed by: Whatley2212, on november 27, 2006

Sound: Brand New is one of the greatest bands in the world and their first CD almost as great as their last. Although this album sounds a little more "punkish" than their others it is still a very good record. Unlike their newest record they just use the "standard" guitar, bass, drums setup. // 8

Lyrics: Some of the lyrics in this album are more of an "angry lover" like "So here's a present to let you know I still exist. I hope the next boy that you kiss has something terribly contagious on his lips." in Jude Law and a semester abroad. Jesse Lacey has some good lyrics in this album but it doesn't live up to some of the other CDs. // 7

Overall Impression: It's definately an amazing album but it could be better. My favorites from the album would have to be "Jude Law" and "Soco Ameretto Lime" I love this CD, flaws and all. If it were stolen, I would definately buy it again. Right after I hunted down the person who stole my beloved CD. // 9

Your Favorite Weapon Reviewed by: baylewis, on september 22, 2007

Sound: Brand New's sound, which appears a little dirty and rough at first, is one of brilliance and flair. Whilst punk and modern rock mainstays were plugging the classics of the early naughties, like Blink 182 Adam's Song and the Offspring's I Want You, Brand New released an album audaciously moulded in the trends of their forefathers. Ambushing many other bands on their way to success, the Long Island quartet rose to fame on the back of punky ditties like Jude Law and a Semester Abroad and Failure by Design. Their sound, which to the untrained ear sounds much like any other late ninety's punk outfit, is superb. Riddled with nuances of flair and excellance, their sound mixes ecclectic electrics from Vinnie Acardi with Jesse Lacey supple, however aggresive, vocals. The results. Song that can be exploding one second in a Metallica-like fury, to a soft talk-through rhythm, not unlike a Ginger Baker drum solo. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrics are another feather in Brand New's cap. Jesse Lacey (lyricist and Vocalist). Whilst the lyrics may be taut and resolute, protraying the tried and tested laurels of girls and sex, Brand New make these elements transpose into a masterpiece. It is extremely easy to ridicule another person, but in poetic and lyrical sense, is quite the opposite. Testament to Jesse Lacey lyrical ability can be seen in the song Seventy Times Seven. On paper, the lyrics do not protray Jesse Lacey's vocals, which must be heard to be beleived. Jesse Lacey gives listeners the feeling as though we are actually driving in that car, slipping on the ice and crashing. Positively breathtaking. // 10

Overall Impression: This album, this band, is incomparable with other bands. So unique in their style, lyrics, vocals and music, Brand New appear to be setting new trends as far as modern rock is concerned. Each song on the album is divinly created, and even the weakest song (which feels like it was put together in under an hour) the acoustic, Soco-Amaretto Lime, hide cleverly created niches in which listeners take pleasure in. // 10

Your Favorite Weapon Reviewed by: djknitex, on november 07, 2008

Sound: I like to say that the Band's originally like blew my mind, because this is one of my favorite albums by Brand New. It has the pop punk feel from like the early 2000's, it's hard to find band these days to have the same feeling, because Brand New is their own style, it makes me wanna jump, sing along, dance to it, and just tune in everyday. The story behind this is probably simple, from getting revenge on best friends, breaking up with girlfriends, and just staying young forever. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics were amazing, compared to other pop/punk bands, I think Brand New won, because Jesse is my favorite lyricist, and is also my inspiration/idol. "And I'm sick of your tattoos, and the way you always criticize The Smiths, and Morrisey" I love that line, from the song mixtape, I mean their lyrics were so perfect, I loved how they used to it too, like examples such as 70x7 "They say you gotta pray if you wanna go to heaven, but they don't know what to say when your whole life has gone to hell" and to Soco Amaretto Lime "I'm gonna stay 18 forever, so we can stay like this forever" their lyrics are far out the best to listen to, and just read, cause every song has their own style, it's awesome to own a CD like this. Jesse's singing blows my mind, because he hits the notes right, sings very fast, and changes throughout songs like to a steady voice in Soco Amaretto Lime to a fast paced in Seventy Times Seven // 9

Overall Impression: I guess it can compare to Taking Back Sunday's Tell All Your Friends, since both cds are kinda similar into the situation they had with Brand New. The best songs I love from this CD is "The Shower Scene, Jude Law and a Semester Abroad, Seventy Times 7, Last Chance To Lose Your Keys, Failure By Design... shoot, I love all their songs!" I love the style and the message they try to bring out, I don't hate anything about it:). I would so buy this CD again... // 10

More Brand New reviews rating latest review