Phobia Review

Lyrics: 9.1
 9.2
 9.3
Phobia Reviewed by: mattedee, on august 04, 2006

Sound: Breaking Benjamin have obviously developed their sound quite a bit since 2004's release We Are Not Alone. There are, however, the melodic but powerful choruses; but these are now backed by heavier, even more down-tuned guitar riffs. They have also used a fair bit of strings and piano, which is new, but in most cases it works very well. 01. Intro - just an intro to the album. Sort of plays on Diary of Jane, nothing special. 02. The Diary Of Jane - first single for the album. Powerful, heavy riffs coupled with a flowing chorus. The new drummer, Chad, has done a great job with this song. 03. Breath - very melodic, one of the softer songs in Phobia, but still pretty heavy. 04. You - dark, sorta spooky, powerful drums yet again. Bass is also pretty prominent here. Heavy-ish. 05. Evil Angel - one of the better songs on the album. Heavy, awesome drum beat, cool harmonics and a great chorus. 06. Until The End - one of the heavier songs on the album. The intro proves this. The chorus and verse are actually quite light, but the interludes are heavy-metal; it's a good contrast. 07. Dance With The Devil - personal favourite; catchy chorus that you'll have stuck in your head. Potentially the next single for Breaking Benjamin. 08. Topless - heaviest song on the album; actually a remake of an old demo track. Kickass song. 09. Here We Are - lighter song; nothing that you'll remember particularly. 10. Unknown Soldier - another catchy chorus, overall just a mad song! 11. Had Enough - another heavy song, powerful guitars and drums. 12. You Fight Me - strange drum beat; think Ava Adora by the Pumpkins. Strange enough Ben Burnley is a fan of Bill Corgan. I wonder. 13. Outro - outro... 14. The Diary Of Jane (acoustic) - piano and strings version of Diary of Jane. It is very different from the original song. Listen to the original first, and this one will grow on you fast. // 10

Lyrics: They are much darker than previous albums; the band has matured as a whole, musically and lyrically. There's really nothing more to say, you'll have to hear it for yourself. The lyrics, to add, are probably more depressing than Saturate and WANA. // 9

Overall Impression: It is the best Breaking Benjamin album yet, and if someone stole it, I would find them and choke them to death with their own colon. The lyrics are good, the sound is good, and my overall impression was that it ruled intensely. The most impressive songs are Diary Of Jane, Dance With The Devil and Evil Angel. // 10

Phobia Reviewed by: bunkeredugly72, on october 02, 2006

Sound: Breaking Benjamin, the Pennsylvania quartet, are back again with their new release. The new album entitled "Phobia" is an amazing effort and proof of how much the band has matured as a whole since their last release (We Are Not Alone). Breaking Benjamin has yet again slightly altered their sound on this one. The guitars are much more downtuned, and an angrier sound has emerged from the vocals and guitars. This is also the first album that the band has used it's new drummer, Chad Szeliga. This album's title came about when it was made clear the Ben Burnley (vocals, rhythm guitar) had a fear of planes (among other things). The title brought about and intro and outro track on the CD, which really added a certain demension to the overall sound of the album. The band has again impressed me with how it has devolped over the past several years. Burnley has really progeressed with his vocals. He has gone from wailing on their first release (Saturate) to crooning and really emphasizing his talent. His vocals add a whole new sound to the band, which will hopefully push the band to new highs in today's rock music industry. I believe this record to be one (if not the) best album of this year. It is mature and cohesive, and the songs do not wear themselves out. I was really begging to wonder about what the band was up to during the time after We Are Not Alone. There was quite a length of time between the realeases. However, the wait payed off with this album. Every song on it, from top to bottom was a colaboration of each member of the bands talent. // 10

Lyrics: 01. Intro - simply an intro to the album. Has an airplane recording played toward the end. This is because Ben Burnley (vocals) is afraid of plane travel. Neat idea. 02. Diary Of Jane - this is the band's new and first single off this album. It is an absolutly amazing effort. This is Chad Szeliega's (drummer) first album with the band, and he did a flawless peice of work with the drum part. Great verse, and soaring chorus. Great song altogether. it's one of the best songs this band has ever produced. It's mature and fills the headspace, just as a sigle should. It maintains a hard rock flair with mainstream edge, which makes it loved by a wide audience. Great work. 03. Breath - another good song. Has a bit more of a radio-type sound to it. I enjoyed it, but it was'nt remembered (in my opinion) when I got done listening to the album. Still, it was impressive. Had a very good intro with Aaron (lead guitar) doing a bit of soloing. 04. You - this song was a bit of a departure from the normal Breaking Benjamin. It was played in standard tuning, and had a slower feel and tempo to it. It is incredibly intersesting. Chad did a great job with backup vocals here. While it wasn't my favorite, it was original, and definetly noteworthy. 05. Evil Angel - this one blew me away. Absolutly incredible through and through. The band did a great job here incorperating a good heavy riff accompanied by an emotional chorus. Great harmonics in the intro. The only thing I didn't like about this one was that the interlude riff was kind of repetitive. Still it was a great song to hear, especially for the first time. One of my favorites on the album. 06. Until The End - I believe this was the heaviest song on the album. It had an unusual tempo, and a hard and heavy intro. Very original. This song also really emphasized how low the guitars are detuned to. There is also a peice of the song that resembles a little bit of Black Sabbath... I personally like this song, and most hard rockers would aswell. 07. Dance With The Devil - potentially the band's next single. It has one of the best choruses I have ever heard. I sang this song for about 3 days straight after I heard it. Amazing work, particularly in Ben's vocals. I'm positive this song was a challange for him, and he overcame it and gave us a great song. 08. Topless - classic. This song was originally recorded as a live mp3 on the Breaking Benjamin's fansite. It was clear that everyone who heard it liked it, so they took it into the studio and fixed it up a bit. The result was another great song. It is also is another one of the heavier songs on the CD. 09. Here We Are - as a whole, this was a weak song on the album. Perhaps it is because of the placement of the song on the album. It isnt a bad song, it is just a slower one and it never really did much for me. However, Aaron has an absolutly amazing solo in this one, with a sound much like the guitars of the seventies. 10. Unknown Soldier - this one was my personal favorite on the album. The vocals describe the thoughts of a soldier who is dying. It also rather describes the enviorment around the soldier. It painted quite a visual picture for me as far as vocals go. Musically it was very powerful. Mark Klepaski (bassist) did an amazing job here during the intro. His bassline really helped pull the song together in my opinion. Aaron also had a feild day with the solo here. Great job by the entire band. it's my favorite song by these guys. 11. Had Enough - without a doubt this is the angriest song on the album. Rumor has it the vocals were aimed at the ex-drummer for the band, but this has never been proven. It was probably the second heaviest song on the album, again emphazing the B flat tuned guitars. Good song, great for pumping yourself up to. 12. You Fight Me - ok, this one was kind of a headtrip. However, it is the most original song on the album. Very very strange. Had almost a hip hop feel to it. A piano and an odd bassline were incorperated. Also Ben screamed along to his slow vocals. It was altogether weird song. But it was cool! I really dug this song when I first heard it. 13. Outro - much like the intro. Aaron was making his guitar scream towards the end. Great way to end the album. It ended with a recording of millions of people screaming. Very interesting. 14. Diary Of Jane (acoustic) - this song was actually done on a piano. Chad and Ben were really showing off their vocal talent here. To me it is amazing how far Ben's vocals have come. This song is startling evidence of his voice's growth. Not really my style, but it was suprisingly good. Great little peice. // 10

Overall Impression: I have a feeling about this album that I haven't had with any other album before. I believe that this album will be a favorite by many here in the next few years. I believe this for several reasons. First off, the band's sound has something that everyone can enjoy. It has hard driving, low-tuned riffs that headbangers will enjoy. But it also maintains a certain mainstream vibe that I believe will bring radio fame for them. Secondly, the vocals in each of their songs have something that anyone and everyone can relate to, which is a rarity in the music industry today. Finally, I think that these songs are special in that they don't wear themselves out, which means that every single that they put out off of this CD will be here for a while, rather than just having a song and filler on an album. Breaking Benjamin may not be for everyone. They are really the bridge between mainstream and alternative metal, so they are definetly unique. Their sound can be compared to that of Staind and Seether and Trapt. Songs on this album that were really impressive were Evil Angel, Unknown Soldier, and Diary of Jane. Each of these possesed certain qualities that I found unique in their own way. However, I hope that every song on the album gets some recognition. I love this CD in that it is original, powerful, and interesting. In general everything about this CD was really cool. The only thing I didn't like was that there was little tempo variation througout most of the album, however this didn't come to me until I had listened to the CD about 3 times. If it were lost or stolen, I would hardly be angry, because I wish to spread this album to the world (However cheesy that sounds). I would, though, replace the album in the next half hour. I believe this album will achieve greatness, and it is one of my favorite albums of all time. Very proud of Breaking Benjamin with this effort, and I hope they really saturate the indusrty with this one. // 10

Phobia Reviewed by: whiteshadow15, on august 09, 2006

Sound: Breaking Benjamin's previous two albums, Saturate and We Are Not Alone, seemed to go for a heavy, rocky feel overall. Sure, they threw in an occasional acoustic, mid-tempo tune(ex: Next to Nothing, Rain), but overall the albums were chock full of heavy riffs accompanied by Ben Burnley's soaring vocals and occasional growls. On the band's third album, Phobia, the band has gone for a much more melodic, dark feel. Burnley's growls that were found on previous albums are mostly left out of the picture, and while the heavy, down-tuned riffs are still present, they don't stand out nearly as much as they did on the band's previous albums. The band even throws in some piano on a few songs to add to the album's darker overall feel. Overall, I feel that the more melodic style that the band goes for on this album is a great improvement. The instruments on this album are effective in really drawing you in to the music. Also, Burnley's voice sounds better than ever. It's much more clear and distinctive than it was before. However, a few of the latter tracks on the album start to sound very similar. Sure, the melodic tunes are broken up occasionally by the rockers "Diary of Jane" and "Topless"(the latter hails from the old days of Saturate"), but the album seems to get a bit repetitive towards the end. But, this isn't really enough to keep the album from being a very enjoyable listen overall. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics, while they're not much different from other alternative rock lyrics out there, are where I see the most improvement from the band. As I stated earlier, this album has a much darker feel than their previous albums. This is partially due to the fact that the lyrics are much more mature. I thought that the lyrics in the band's other albums got kind of generic at times, but I felt that the lyrics were much better written than before. The overall lyrics and sound work exceptionally well in giving the album a much more atmospheric feel. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, I love this album. Personally, I felt that the band's previous albums had their moments (Next To Nothing, Forever, and So Cold are a few of my favorite songs ever), but I felt that the albums had too many filler songs. I found a few gems in the bunch of songs, but overall there were a lot of songs that I didn't care much for at all. But when I heard "Diary of Jane" on the internet, it became one of my favorite songs and I thought that the new album might turn out pretty dang good. I was highly anticipating this album and I was not dissapointed one bit. I Love this CD. I only found a few songs on this album that I thought were alright. None of the songs I thought were bad at all. I really like how the band has matured greatly with this album, especially with the lyrics. My favorite songs are Evil Angel, Breath, Dance with the Devil, You Fight Me, and of course The Diary Of Jane. As for whether or not previous fans will like it, I think the new sound on this album will do one of two things. You'll either love this album and appreciate how the band has grown and matured, or you will be let down and yearn for the old Breaking Benjamin. I, however, am a new fan. // 9

Phobia Reviewed by: Shlecht, on august 11, 2006

Sound: This album is definitely a change from their others. I've noticed as I listen to this, I picture a dark theme that could be used in any of the songs' videos. I just have very dark/depressing thoughts in my mind. Because of this, it's made me realized how much they have changed from their previous albums, Saturate and We Are Not Alone. Saturate, in my point of view, was a masterpiece. Every song was good and original. We Are Not Alone had more generic and boring songs, but I still liked some songs on it. Phobia seems to be a combination of both. The drums have always been impressive in every album, and this is no different, it could even be better (due to their new drummer perhaps). The guitars have heavy sounds for the most part, but will slow down often and have more mellow sounds. I noticed that often you will hear a heavier, distorted guitar sound combined with a more high-pitched and catchy guitar sounds. When you compare this album to the others, you will definitely notice a much more dark feel and overall change to their music. Some songs are heavier than others, yes, just like any album can have, but I very much enjoyed the contrast. // 8

Lyrics: Has Ben Burnley ever been considered underrated? This man is so ridiculously talented. When parts of certain songs have more boring, generic guitar riffs, he basically makes up for it with his lyrics and singing skills. He can scream ferociously, and can also sing with a softer, mellow sound. When hearing this album, I've honestly come to my senses more about him. I've always known he's a great vocalist, and this album just tops things off. The lyrics are, yes, more angry, depressing, and personal. It seems like everyone tries to be in their music nowadays, but you can't blame them, because fans look for music they can connect to. Anyone could connect to the lyrics because of how personal they can be, and you can tell they actually try to put meaning into their music/lyrics. After listening to songs like "Had Enough" or "Topless" to a song like "The Diary Of Jane (Acoustic)", you can't not be impressed by his singing skills or lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: Breaking Benjamin has yet to disappoint me. "Phobia" is no masterpiece, but it's definitely worth the purchase and listening to. Yes, if I lost it I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. The deepness and passion in their music and lyrics makes me love this album even more. It's not as heavy as "Saturate" or semi-generic as "We Are Not Alone", so it's right in the middle. It has songs that will stick out and some that you won't enjoy as much as others (just like any album could). My particular favorties are "Breath", "Until The End", "Evil Angel", and both versions of "The Diary Of Jane". Overall, I very much so enjoyed this album. Any fan of Breaking Benjamin will have difficulty being let down with "Phobia", unless you have really high standards and expect a masterpiece. // 9

Phobia Reviewed by: MX4Life, on august 07, 2006

Sound: The sounds of this new Breaking Benjamin album is very different from any other album they have put out. It is filled with new instruments including the piano, along with a few others and more effects. The biggest difference in the sounds is that the whole band sounds a little watered down. The riffs may be heavy, but as soon as you get to the verse or chorus, the song mellows out completely. It's a bit of a disappointment if you were looking to find songs like Firefly, Follow, or Breakdown on this album. Sure, it can be said their sound has matured and they are moving in a different direction now, but this is already a leap in a direction that I'm not sure many fans will like. // 6

Lyrics: I will not lie to you. Ben Burnley's voice is incredible, and always will be. His technique is not as visible on this album, I believe. The vocals aren't as haunting or chilling as they have been in the past. The lyrics are significantly darker, and less appetizing to those looking to find an upbeat song. The lyrics work with the songs pretty well. As I said, you can't really discredit Ben, he is an amazing lyrical and vocal talent. // 8

Overall Impression: This album, for me, was a disappointment. Their new sounds is not satisfying to me, due to the lack of almost everything that brought me to Breaking Benjamin. Songs like So Cold, Natural Life, Break My Fall, and several others are great BB songs, and you will not find anything like them on this new CD. I really dislike this album's new sound, and almost new genre of mellow-lyricked nu-metal. But the genre really doesn't matter. The new BB is not what I was hoping to hear. If someone stole, I'd let them keep it. It's a big step in the wrong direction for BB. // 6

Phobia Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 09, 2006

Sound: If your looking for heavy guitar riffs, soaring vocals (and all that other good stuff), then this is an album to look out for. A true sign of maturity. If you really want a song with a heavy rock mood, listen to "Topless", a standard heavy BB song. This song also includes Ben's trademark scream. Other great tracks: had enough, the diary of jane, dance with the devil, breath and evil angel. // 10

Lyrics: Overall, the lyrics are quite strong. They have a way of explaining the meaning of the song while giving the freedom to use your own judgement. And of course, the moods change with the music. If there's an angry moment, the lyrics are there to aid the sound. The lyrics for this album give much more meaning than the lyrics of their previous records and it's only gonna get better! // 10

Overall Impression: This is definately an album beyond compare. All I can say is "amazing". Truly BB's best work. I personally like the heavier stuff, but I'm willing to make an exception for this album. If this CD was lost/stolen, I would buy another copy within a heartbeat. // 10

Phobia Reviewed by: Dallen_007, on august 10, 2006

Sound: Breaking Benjamin have matured quite a bit since the release of We Are Not Alone. The guitar parts are similar to the ones found in they're other cd's but they have a darker feel to them, that and they are tuned lower. The lead guitar parts in most of the songs really impressed me, they were much more creative this time around. Overall this CD is much darker and much more mature than anything Breaking Benjamin have released before. // 9

Lyrics: Ben Burnley is an amazing singer, and his ablities this time around are much more impressive than before. His range has improved and he changes his voice around quite a bit(example Diary of Jane)making the songs all the better by his incredible voice. Lyrics wise this CD is much darker than anything on We Are Not Alone. The lyrics are quite creative, yet they still sound like lyrics that other bands of this genre have put out time and time again. Breaking Benjamin gets a little more creative than most bands though. My favorite songs lyrically would probably be Diary of Jane, Until The End, Evil Angel, Dance With The Devil, Unknown Solider, and You Fight Me. All in all good lyrics, although I think that they need to be a little more creative on their next album. // 8

Overall Impression: I was really impressed with this album. Breaking Benjamin is an awesome band and I was hopeing this CD would be good and it did not dissapoint. It has a very different feel than Saturate or We Are Not Alone, darker more developed. Ben's voice saves this band from being the standard alt-rock band though, his voice is incredibly distinct and original, and it makes up for the lyrics that are sometimes lacking. The band has really improved the music adding great guitar and bass parts, and the new drummer has really stepped up on his first album with the band, and proved he knows what he is doing. If this CD was stolen I wouldn't do anything about it as it's on my computer, but if it wasn't I would hate to be the guy who stole it. Breaking Benjamin did a great job. // 9

Phobia Reviewed by: FifteenHours, on august 10, 2006

Sound: Breaking Benjamin seems to improve their craft with every album they release. Diverting from the normal ideas behind alt-rock of becoming poppier and more up beat, they chose to add a very melodic and dark theme behind this album. The sound is very haunting from time to time, and the great mixture of heavy riffs with melodies throughout really adds a sense of turbulance to the thought process behind the sound. This sense of schizophrenia just furthers to add to the sense of maddening darkness that permeates throughout the album. The extensive use of harmonics, and other instrumental techniques really adds to the technical musicianship of the album as well. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album definetely shine above previous outings, that's not to say that 'Saturate' and 'We Are Not Alone' had terrible lyrics by any means, both albums are amazing in their own right. Ben Burnley's vocal stylings come into their own on this album more than previous outings. His voice adds to the dark and haunting sense that the listener feels as they journey through the minds of the songwriters. A particular highlight is the vocal work on the song "You". Ben's vocal range climbing up and down really adds to the effect of the whole album. However his growls come to highlight on this album too, finding more places to fit in, as well as being very well designed and controlled. Also the dark conotation one gets from the lyrics adds to the chilling effect this album creates. Songs such as "The Diary of Jane" and "Evil Angel" really stand out in this department I feel... The very concept of Jane, as stated by Ben Burnley, is the idea of the anonymous woman, Jane Doe. "I will try to find my place, in the Diary of Jane" is just a powerful notion, trying to find some way to be worth something to someone who refuses to allow you to be a part of their life. Overall I love the dark concepts behind these lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: Where as most bands on the radio seem to start losing their touch by the 3rd album (I.e. Staind), Breaking Benjamin shows signs of progress and experimentation rarely seen in the normal concept of commercially acceptable music. I think some people may not care for this new album, just because of the way it chooses to experiment and divert from the normal course of radio acceptable music, however most of those people would prolly be much happier buying Fall Out Boy or some other commercial mass-produced slop. The most impressive tracks on this album are "The Diary of Jane", "Evil Angel" and "Dance with the Devil". Dance has an extremely catchy chorus that sticks with you for hours after you put the album down. What I love about this album is the choice to experiment and the more melodic, dark concepts behind it. Honestly I can find no reason to knock this album, it is just a masterpiece, that the more I listen to it, the more I fall in love with it. Were I to lose it, I would definetely spend the money to replace it. This is a must have for any Breaking Benjamin fan, as well as anyone who appreciates dark melody over poppy upbeat music. // 10

Phobia Reviewed by: Kaolin, on august 10, 2006

Sound: With the new release of Phobia, Breaking Benjamin has obviously and undoubtubly continued to develop there sound. It is still the Breaking Benjamin sound we all know and love from Saturate and We Are Not Alone but all-in-all it is a brand new thing for them. The music itself is still as moving as their previous albums but in it's own new way. It's hard to describe but I have felt as if each song is speaking to me directly and when you buy the album you will to. From what I hear, Breaking Benjamin named this album Phobia because during an interview with someone (I don't know who) they were asked why they never take flights to other country's to play shows for them. Lead singer Ben Burnley respnded with this, "I have the biggest phobia of flying in a plane, so when someone complains because they don't get to see us in concert, they better suck it up, there are millions of others that don't get to see us. We're an American Band, so enjoy it." // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics, as always with Breaking Benajmin, make you think about the subject of the song which is not easily hidden or manipulated. The lyrics still have that darker sound to them like in Saturate and We Are Not Alone but when you listen to them you can't help but start singing. The lyrics in compliance with the music is magic. I don't think I've ever heard a band get the lyrics so on-key with the music as Breaking Benjamin does. Especially in the Acoustic version of The Diary of Jane. Ben's voice just carries it through the song like water down a stream. Everything flows and there are no rocky points. High parts are in compliance with higher or faster guitar/bass/drums and lower parts are right there on-key as well. Ben's voice is magic. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is one-of-a-kind. Although it has the Breaking Benjamin sound, there are no parts which you would get confused with any other songs. Each riff is one in it's own. No one part of any song has the same sound as another which makes this band so hard to learn a song from because you would litterrally need two people to collaborate together and learn the song together. The songs themself move me into questioning things in a way I never thought I would. What I love the most about this CD is the fact that each song is different. Different topics, different feelings, different song. Makes me respect the music as a whole so much more. If I lost this CD or someone stole it, I would be devestated. Of course I would buy it again. I think this is there best CD yet. // 10

Phobia Reviewed by: GangrenousWound, on august 11, 2006

Sound: Simply put, Breaking Benjamin have evolved, and I saw it coming. Saturate was raw force and hard riffs, simple but powerful. We're Not Alone saw more technical guitar, with a more reflective sound in the lyrics. Now, on Phobia, they have grown past that into a more dark, mature sound. They have not lost their power, simply made it more brief and controlled, adding in some softer, better vocals, to create much more versatile music. Their new drummmer also completes it even more, as he amazes me with his lines, and just the way he uses what he has in front of him. I rarely find a CD I can play beginning to end, but this CD does that for me. // 9

Lyrics: Once again, Ben Burnley delivers nicely. His lyrics aren't overly creative, but his voice, combined with the band's music, make these lyrics speak to me. I found myself digging for the meaning of every song. Normally, I could care less about meanings, but with Breaking Benjamin, the songs really seem like important things happpening with someones life. Not for everyone I'm sure, but I find Ben's lyrics better with each album, along with his vocal skills. // 9

Overall Impression: This CD will be in my player for a long time to come, and even after I find a new CD that amazes me, something tells me this one will continuously find its way in my disc tray. Looking for the old Benjamin? You'll find it with Had Enough, Topless, and even Diary of Jane. These are, in my opinion, that harder sounding songs on the CD. My overall favorites though, would have to be Evil Angel, Until The End, and Dance With The Devil. These are the most progressive sounding Breaking Benjamin songs, and they have been imprinted on my brain as some of the best songs I have ever heard, Period. For me, best CD I've heard in years. // 10

Phobia Reviewed by: Brizzal06, on august 16, 2006

Sound: Breaking Benjamin went a little to the softer side with this one. Now some people might not like the whole ambiance this album sets, but I love it. It's pretty dark throughout a lot of the album but like classic BB style they throw in the heavy stuff as well. // 10

Lyrics: A lot of sad lyrics in the new CD. The lyrics fit perfectly with the music which is also really sad and dark. Ben has one of the most awesome voices in rock in my opinion. The singing in Evil Angel is my favorite out of the rest of the CD. Although a lot of the lyrics won't leave any lasting impressions on most people they are still really good. // 8

Overall Impression: This is my favorite album from Breaking Benjamin. As of now it's actually my favorite album that I own. My favorite song on the album is the frist single, Diary of Jane, because it's just like older Breaking Benjamin. Some other songs I really enjoyed are Dance With the Devil, Breath, Topless (heavy stuff right here), and Evil Angel. If anyone would steal this from me I'd definitely go get it again (that is if I didn't find the person responsible for it first. Then I'd beat it out of them). I deffinitely reccomend this album. // 10

Phobia Reviewed by: AVA_182_44, on august 30, 2006

Sound: If you're a true Breaking Benjamin fan, you're going to love their new CD. The CD release on Aug. 8 2006 and the first thing I did was buy it. They're a great metal-ish band with amazing new songs like "The Diary Of Jane," "Breath," "Evil Angel" and "You Fight Me." My impression of this CD is that B.B. has grown up a lot since their first CD "Saturate," they still have the same sound, but matured skills and talents. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics can relate to anyone you've ever loved, then they turn around and become a completly new person, nothing like the person you knew before and you miss them so much, but you know they're not going to change back. I think Ben Burnley (vocals of B.B.) has one of the most amazing voices. A new distinct sound, with a strong hold on what he's singing and trying to tell you. The lyrics are really powerful and can comply to whatever you're feeling at the moment. // 10

Overall Impression: "Saturate" was a great CD, "We Are Not Alone" was a better cd, and "Phobia" is by far their best CD yet. They have their own sound, but if I had to compare them to anyone, I'd say Trapt, and Chevelle. My favorite tracks are "The Diary Of Jane," "Topless," "Evil Angel," and "Unknown Soldier" I love everything about the CD, the only things I don't really like are the Phobia tracks, "Phobia (Intro)" and "Phobia (Outro)". They're not real songs, just a waste of time. But that's what the skip buttons for. I strongly suggest this CD, you won't regret it! // 10

Phobia Reviewed by: Zuka, on september 25, 2006

Sound: Breaking Benjamin. Now how they keep managing to top their previous album I don't know. As almost everyone knows, the title "Phobia" comes from Mr. Burnley's Sociophobia, and fear of flying. In this new album the guitarists take a step down to drop A#/Bb tuning. As well, with their "new" drummer, Chad Szeliga, who does an amazing job, they show even more evolution with their sound. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on these songs are by far the best BB lyrics ever. I got this feeling from "Forget It" and "So Cold" that they were heading in a good direction. Some of the moest powerful lyrics are such as "Put me to sleep Evil Angel, Why Can't I breath, Evil Angel?" Every song sent a chill up my spine with how Ben delivers the vocals, and even again with what he says. Ben gives a sort of new sound to BB with Phobia. You'll notice he isnt screaming as much as, say, Sugarcoat, or Believe. This album could have easily fit in with Wish I May, Forget it, Simple Design, and many other of their massive hits. // 10

Overall Impression: I love how I can say every song on the album is a favorite. However, the ones that truly do stand out the most are Until the End, Evil Angel, and Here We Are. What I love about it are how the vocals/lyrics are so powerful, and for once in BB history the percussion is unique in every song (I disliked how Hummel used the same double base technique, giving a repetitive sound). You can really hear the bass in the songs, and how Mark keeps the bass doing it's own thing, rather than following the basic root notes. Of course I would buy this album again if it were stolen. Hell I burned it on my mp3 player but I'd still buy it again. // 10

Phobia Reviewed by: donegan07, on march 20, 2007

Sound: Breaking Benjamin's sound matured since "We Are Not Alone". They used a much heavier tuning. The intros to over half the songs start out with a heavy riff, then fall into a lighter verse, definitely one of their best traits. "The Diary of Jane" is the opening track. What I love about this song is the unmistakable opening, and the heavy guitar riff in the verse. This song definitely provides one of the best choruses on the album. Probably my favorite song on "Phobia" is "Dance with the Devil". The chorus in my opinion is one of their best. // 10

Lyrics: Ben Burnley has an amazing sound. I saw them live and it sounds like you're listening to the album, only you can feel it in your chest. Some of my favorite lines are "I won't stay long, in this world so wrong" from "Dance with the Devil" and "The apple of your eye, the rotten core inside" from "Had Enough". Their studio rendition of "Topless" is really great also. When you listen to the old version, you could tell Burnley was on track for the sound he wanted as a vocalist, he just hadn't pinpointed it yet. // 10

Overall Impression: This album was by far one of the best ones of 2006. My favorite song is "Dance with the Devil", but there truly is no one song that isn't great. If it were lost or stolen, I would find who stole it and beat them down. Then I would let them keep it because it is a really great album. Then I would buy a new copy. If you are a big Breaking Benjamin fan than I would suggest picking up some of these albums the next time you are up to your local Best Buy. Revelation Theory "Truth is Currency", Theory of a Deadman "Gasoline", Pillar "The Reckoning", Nonpoint "Recoil". Enjoy! // 10

Phobia Reviewed by: xXonx, on may 04, 2007

Sound: The genre of Phobia is alternate metal, and a bit of post grunge. The songs are less melancholic than the other albums "Saturate" and "We Are Not Alone" and typicaly Breaking Benjamin. Hard guitar riffs in the intro and the chorus, and while the verses, there are only the bass guitar and quiet the lead guitar in the background. In Phobia, Breaking Benjamin often uses a bit shiften guitar chords in the background while the chorus and the verses. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are very different. Sometimes sentimentaly, sometimes hard and cold. The singer, Benjamin Burnley, has a great voice, he can cry as a heavy metal "singer" and sing like a choirboy. I think, the lyrics and the music are relevant. Another accept of the lyrics is, that it is like in the older Breaking Breaking songs, in the verses, they tell a story and in the chorus, they tell something about the person or the think, who/which is in the story. // 7

Overall Impression: Phobia is different than the other albums. It is more hard, than melancholic, there are only one or two sentimentaly songs. The best songs from the album are definitively "Breath" and "Diary Of Jane". I can't stop to hear these songs. I love it, that Breaking Benjamin made the album harder, I don't really like melancholic songs. There is nothing, I really hate, it is the best album of Breaking Benjamin. If I would lost Phobia, I don't would buy it again. Firstly, I would have to pay it over the internet, 'cause in Austria, you can't get in in a music shop (I think). Secondly, I have a copy of the disc, this is legal, and so I haven't to buy it again. // 10

Phobia Reviewed by: AwesomeDrummer, on january 07, 2008

Sound: There are a lot of ways to describe the sound of a band like Breaking Benjamin. They seem to wander through a range of genres, such as alternative metal, metal, alternative, modern rock and sometimes, they even have skip through the screamo genre. The release of Phobia, signifies the 2nd album created by the band, after their formation, back in 2000 and is the sequel to the highly acclaimed 'We Are Not Alone', made in 2004. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics from 'Phobia' usually give a generally vivid picture, and allow you to connect as a listener to the band and their message. The songs are excellently composed by the band, and go exceptionally well with the heavily toned guitars and power-ridden drum beats. Ben Burnley, Singer of Breaking Benjamin, is an extremely talented singer when he is not yelling instead of singing properly. // 8

Overall Impression: The best songs from 'Phobia' feature 'Until The End', 'Beath', 'Evil Angel' and 'Dance With The Devil'. The absolute worst parts of this album are when vocals turn into screeching instead of the talent voice that Ben Burnley has. If I deleted this album I would download it again. // 8

Phobia Reviewed by: dr-g0nz0, on january 05, 2009

Sound: It would seem as though the 3rd album is the most complete out of them all. They seem to have hit a lot of genre's of rock music as I've lent it to many people with varied music tastes and they've all loved it. Kicking off with a great intro that sounds a lot like something the mars volta would stick into one of there songs, and then brings you into "Diary of Jane" which has radio friendly lyrics with a hard beat to it. As with most of the songs in this album there quite heavy "breath" and "Had Enough" are just some examples which are bursting with energy. there's also some excellent guitar riffs that top there last album's. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics wise Ben has done his best work "dance with the devil" is one of the best songs he's ever wrote, and the instruments mix together very well on this album. Singing wise Ben has really gone all out with it, using once again a few varied sounds in his voice and it does go very well with the instrumentals. // 10

Overall Impression: While I don't think this is Breaking Benjamin's best album, you can really see that have put a hell of a lot of work on this. With some supurb guitar drumming and bass with the best song writing Ben's made. This is definatly the album to check out if you like any sort of rock. Plus the package just gets sweeter if you get the two disc version, the second disc is a live gig that was filmed with a mixture of all the songs they've done. // 9

Phobia Reviewed by: Godzillax22, on november 09, 2009

Sound: Although it's totally different from the first 2 albums, it's an excellent start to a new begginning. All the instruments on the album sounds very well together, but there are unfortunatelly no crazy or raw sounding effects like in Saturate. Flanger and Phaser are sparingly used. Delay is used really well in The Diary of Jane, but I really would like to hear a variety of effects in future albums. Ben Burnley was inspired to write this album from his fear of flying and touring. That's why he named the album "Phobia". The complexity of the songs hasn't really changed since Saturate, but the sound has. It doesn't sound raw anymore. I'll miss that, but once a band moves foreword, they wont go back. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty good. Many of them are generic and could fit with any BB song, but they're still alright. Ben Burnley has a great voice, but I'm gonna miss the rawness (is that even a word) of Saturate. I'm gonna write a review about that soon. Overall this album has good lyrics, but they all talk about pain. Ther are really no optomistic lyrics on this album, but it's still really good. // 8

Overall Impression: The Diary of Jane: very catchy song. I never get tired of listening to it, and I wont for a long time. Easily the best song on the album. 10/10 01. Breath: another hit, just like TDOJ. Very catchy. The transitions from distorted tones to acoustic/clean tones are done very well and create suspense in the song. 10/10 02. You: an OK song. The weakest song on the album. Not very memorable, but it's still alright. 7/10 03. Evil Angel: nice song. Chorous (however you spell it) is very catchy, and the harmonics fit very well in the song. Also a fun song to play on guitar. 8.5/10 04. Until the End: another one of my favorites from this album. it's perfect. Intro is awesome, solo is even better. 10/10 05. Dance With the Devil: very interesting song. Sounds different from the other songs but in a good way. Also fun to play on guitar (the whole album is, but this song in particular). 10/10 06. Topless: at first I didn't really like this song, but it has grown on me. Also very good harmonics. Overall it's a pretty good song. 9/10 07. Here We Are: for a slow/balladish song it's pretty good, but it just doesnt't stand out on this album. 8/10. 08. Unknown Soldier: good song. Chorous is kinda catchy. Not much else to say about it. 8/10 09. Had Enough: another one of my favorites next to Until the End. 10/10 10. You Fight Me: an excellent conclusion (I don't count the intro and outtro as songs) to an excellent album. Sounds like it should be in a movie. Sounds different from any song on this album, but it's really good. 9.5/10 Overall it's one of the best albums I have heard, but that may not be true for some people. But anyone who hears this should like it. I might be a bit biased because BB is my favorite band, but that came from listening to this album. // 10

More Breaking Benjamin reviews rating latest review