Saturate Review

9.4
 9.3
 9.4
Saturate Reviewed by: BreakingEmmaa, on february 16, 2009

Sound: The sound of this album is pretty heavy for an alternative rock/hard rock/ alternative metal band, but Breaking Benjamin seem to be the thing that was missing in this genre, or among them. They start of with some catchy but not to heavy guitar riffs in Polyamorous, Medicate and Skin, and get heavier from there. Natural Life has an eerie beginning to it, and the riffs are strong. Breaking Benjamin seem to be able to mix alternative metal with a couple of acoustics (Next To Nothing, Forever.)The CD's sound itself, is amazing. The only quarrel I have is that Sugarcoat sounds slightly muted. // 10

Lyrics: Ben Burnley's lyrics are close to amazing. This isn't just from a fans perspective though. There are a few times that the lyrics aren't up to the high standard compared to the rest of the songs. Like Medicate: Run away/make hate/get laid/we get laid. The whole song is catchy enough though, and you'll still be singing it. The lyrics and the music mix perfectly together, but not just because of Burnley. Aaron Fink and Mark James pull it all together with James' awesome bass riffs and Aaron Finks talent of keeping a strong riff up really showing through. // 9

Overall Impression: It definatly compares to their other 3 albums. We Are Not Alone, So Cold EP and Phobia are all awesome, but Saturate is easily the best.The Most impressive songs are "Home, Phase, Water, Shallow Bay, and Polyamorous, but ALL of the songs are fantastic! I love the strong heavy feel and the new type of metal they've managed to produce here using Burnley's amazing vocal talent and the awesome riffs and drumming. 01.Wish I May: a song with a strong start and a strong finish, but wavers a tad in the middle. You grow to like it. Just give it it's go. 8/10 02.Medicate: again, hard to get into, but what draws you in is the poppy chorus and an awesome shift from minor to major. 8/10 03.Polyamorous: the singing and the riff mix perfectly, and you may even by humming the guitar more than you actually sing the song. 9/10 04.Skin: you like it at first, for a while and then it gets old pretty quickly. A listen to not that much song. 7/10 05.Natural Life: if you're gonna put a bad song in, you gotta put an awesome one after it, and Natural Life is awesome. With smart guitar and a wicked intro, you can listen again and again. 9/10 06.Next To Nothing: a very good "quiet" song, Burnley's singing is wonderful here and the musicianship shows through from all of the members of the band. 8/10 07.Water: this is one of those songs you can't get enough of and listen to all the time. Easily one of the heaviest songs they've ever written, it's got a tight riff line and an awesome pull towards it. The lyrics are amazing. 11/10 08.Home: haha. Only Breaking Benjamin could write a song about the Wizard Of Oz and make it into an awesome metal version of the tale. You listen more to the guitar first, and then start to tune into the vocals. It's awesome 12/10 09.Phase: one of the most awesome songs I've ever heard. It's difficult to get into because of the long intro, when you've just gone from quick heavy intros before. Play this song from start to finish and you'll love it. The awesome intro plays out from the start into the heavyness that you come to love. 15/10 10.No Games: you can fall asleep to this song. Not literally, but it's much more melodic than the others, Good guitar, lyrics are a bit off but other than that.:) The end is fantastic. 11.Sugarcoat: the lyrics are slightly repetitive, but you go through it to get to a wicked chorus, which is most worth it. Ben really yells here. Loudly. "Look what you did Suck on your lies 'til your eyes turn red what did you say willing to drown in a tidal wave Take me away let me believe that you're on your way look what you did Suck on your lies 'til your eyes turn red" 10/10 12.Shallow Bay/ Forever: shallow Bay is amazing. The rhyming in the second verse is pretty cool, with every line rhyming at the end. You guitar is tight, and has an awesome bridge. A fair amount of cussing in this song though. 12/10 Forever is a hidden track at the end of the song. I don't know if it's a cover or what. It's nice, but Breaking Benjamin can't even do a ballad/acoustic without medium distortion, so at the end of the song it gets a bit heavier, but in a good way. 10/10 If it were stolen, and there was only one copy left in the whole world and fifty other people wanted it, I would pay the amount of money needed. No matter how much it was. That's how much it means to me. // 10

Saturate Reviewed by: electric7, on august 24, 2006

Sound: Breaking Benjamin's debut album "Saturate" is a mixture of radio-friendly grundge and alternative metal, and is a solid debut. The vocals of Benjamin Burnley and the guitars and drums of Aaron Fink, Markus James, and Jeremy Hummel mix together to show a promising future for this band. From Wilkes-Barre, PA, the band uses awesome riffs and good drum beats to mix together one solid CD. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics, for a debut, are actually very good. "Polyamourus" is avery solid good single, combining simplistic guitar riffs with awesome lyrics. The song "Medicate"'s lyrics are a bit shallow (the chorus is "Run away/Medicate/Get laid/Get Laid"), but the guitars and drums back it up to make is a solid song. All the other songs blend together (from the peppy "Next to Nothing" to the hard alt rock "Shallow Bay") to create a CD that will be replayed by fans of Cold, Chevelle, and people like them. // 9

Overall Impression: "Saturate" is a solid CD. The most impressive songs are "Polyamourus", "Shallow Bay", "Sugarcoat", and "Forever" (this song, if you bought or buy the CD out of a store, is located as a hidden song after "Shallow Bay". iTunes separetes these songs). This album is a must buy for the Alt Rock or Grundge lover. // 10

Saturate Reviewed by: sithian476, on april 26, 2004

Sound: This album is mainly hard rock. It has some acoustic songs here and there, but mainly some awesome... kick... ass... music. They blend a lot of today's popular music, but with an interesting vocalist. Not the most innovative in the world but I love it so much. // 10

Lyrics: Some of the vocalists words I can't understand because of the way he sings them. But for the most part, they're not typical. One song even talks about the Wizard of Oz. :| Not exactly your everyday type of rock music lyrics for some, but others yeah. // 8

Overall Impression: Man, I have to say... this entire album is kickass. I think there was maybe one song I didn't like which was the last "bonus" song so if you don't count that one, then the ENTIRE album was awesome. If you like good hard rock (not metal but it can get heavy in some songs) then you should Definitely check this album out. The vocalist may not seem good to you but he'll probably grow on you. Unique voice. I know one of their singles is Polyamorous and the other is Skin. I don't know if they had any others, and they weren't THAT popular, but they should've been. // 10

Saturate Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 15, 2005

Sound: This is one of my favorites albums, better than we are not alone, it's heavier and smooth. If you like metal, hard rock you have to own this album, the band is great. I bought we are not alone first and then I bought saturate. Ben's voice is great. It's hard rock masterpiece. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are great like in home, next to nothing and natural life. The copliance between the lyrics and the music is a real good part in this album. Ben is a great guitarist and singer but sometimes I can't understand what he is saying. // 10

Overall Impression: 01. Wish I May - a real weak intro for the album. The intro should be skin. 7 out of 10. 02. Medicate - this a catchy song with good lyrics. 8 out of 10. 03. Polyamorous - the lead single of the album, a heavy song with good lyrics. I like the live version better. I like the guitar is really good and it complements the good that the lyrics are. 9 out 10. 04. Skin - a catchy song that grown on me very fast. 05. Natural Life - my favorite song of the album, the rhyme between the lyrics and the music. I don't like that much the kife version because I dont understand what he is saying. Ones of the best songs I ever heard. 12 out of 10. 06. Next To Nothing - the best acoustic song I ever heard. The lyrics are good. 11 out 10. 07. Water - is a heavy song, it could be a good intro for the album, I like the live version too. 9 out of 10. 08. Home - I didn't like this song but I heard this song live and I said the lyrics are good and the guitars are even better. 10 out of 10. 09. Phase - one of the heaviest song in the album, I like the intro with the bongos and the bass. This song is perfect energy given to make mosh. 9 out of 10. 10. No Games - the lyrics are good and is an excitind song. 8 out of 10. 11. Sugarcoat - this song is like the worst song in the album (not a bad song) but the lyrics are weak and the guitars too. 7 out of 10. 12. Shallow Bay - it could be the second single of the song, I love the guitar in this song, the rhyme in the lyrics is awesome. Heavy and smooth at the same time. One of the best songs I ever heard too. 12 out of 10. 13. Forever - good cover, but I don't think it was a good idea to put this song like the last one 7 out of 10. If it were stolen I would buy it again and again and again. This album is one of my top 3 albums. I wish I could see bb live but I can they never gonna come to La Quinta (I bet that you dont know wheres that at) BB rocks. // 10

Saturate Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 04, 2006

Sound: The sound to this CD is great in my opinion. I mean Ben plays some awesome guitar and sings some great vocals in this album. The sound is so much better than We Are Not Alone. The acoustic songs are really great. This album is totally much heavier. Personally I think that Home and Medicate are perfect examples of the sound to this album along with Next To Nothing. // 8

Lyrics: I think that the lyrics are great. Ben sings some soft and some pretty heavy stuff and sometimes he even mixes it up. In almost every song the lyrics blend right in to the guitars and the drums. In Home when the rhythm guitar plays soft (palm muted) the lyrics are nice and soft but have a hard feeling to them, then when the lyrics get harder the guitar gets harder and I know by playing the song on guitar. I really like how Ben can sing about the Wizard Of Oz and make it sound great and hard at the same time. The rest of the songs are even better (you should buy the CD to hear for yourself). // 10

Overall Impression: By far this is my favorite album so far out of all the rock bands I like, I listen to it everyday and play along on the guitar. The most impressive songs of the album are I think Home and Medicate but a good acoustic song is Next To Nothing, it swithches to a rock feeling but go's back to acoustic. I love the album period is great, it's the perfect album for a person who loves good blending rock and acoustic and heavier music and lyrics. If I lost this CD or it got stolen I would definitely go and buy it again and again and again. // 9

Saturate Reviewed by: IBrokeBenjamin, on april 07, 2006

Sound: I can't get enough of this album's sound. It came out around the same time that nu-metal was at its peak, but it wasn't really a nu-metal album. It blended the heaviness of nu-metal with the mellody of acoustic rock and the catchiness of radio friendly rock. But hey, don't get caught off guard with the acoustic and radio rock stuff. When it's heavy, belive me, it's heavy! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are great. And I'm not just saying that from a fan's standpoint, but a songwriter's standpoint. Again, from the Nu-Metal time, it was quite different to hear lyrics that werent slightly emo. And in my opinion, as long as its not emo or like over the top satanic, then its good to me! // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this album is great! If you havent noticed, I used that in my review a lot. And reason for that is because it is a great album in all senses of the word. If you're into metal, mainstream hard rock, or a little acoustic rock everynow and then, then you should wheel your ass on to Sam Goody and get this CD now! Oh yeah, I actually broke this CD so I did go but another copy. I guess that just goes to show you how vital this CD is to me! // 10

Saturate Reviewed by: X1057X, on may 13, 2006

Sound: This bands sound is abseloutley incredible. The guitar is very nice, and I like the soft to hardcore riffs in "Phase" and in "Wish I may" and "So Cold". I really love the pedal effects that they use for the song "Believe". At first I had only heard one song ("Natural Life"; MX Unleashed soundtrack) and thought they would have a kinda Trustcompany-like sound to them, and I was right. I don't hate the style, but it goes too hardcore to nothing. I also think that no matter what song they do any crowd will give them a great response (maybe except for phase or sumthin like that). I am also intrested on what their new albun will sound like (it's gonna be released over summer 2006). // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics were very well written, but there was alot of help from the smashing pumpkins on some of the newer lyrics. they could fit to some styles of music, like taking "phase" and puttin some hardcore guitar the entire way through. Ben sings very well but doesn't need to play as much guitar (or have a toungue-ring to prove he's a man for that matter). // 7

Overall Impression: This can compare to great bands like TrustCompany or even a little Bush. They arent as good as Bush, but better than TC. As a lineup the songs were ok. // 7

Saturate Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 12, 2009

Sound: Breaking benjamins first album Saturate is to me the best album they have made. A very strong album that's a mix of grunge and metal. The opening track "wish I may" fires surge of energy at you and by the time you get to "water" you'll soon relise that this band aren't messing around. "polyamorous" has an great sound to it and holds it's own as a great single. // 10

Lyrics: One thing you have to give Ben credit for is his lyrics. Catchy and fit brilliantly into the songs. One thing I like about his writing is he avoids the over used cliches of the ex-girlfriend or how life sucks, and goes for the more kurt cobain style of song writing. While this isn't Ben's best album for lyrics it's still awesome stuff. "Phase" and "shallow Bay" are two examples. But the lyrics themself's wouldn't be any good with out the voice behind them, so it's a good job Ben Burley has a great voice to tackle the job. This album has him using a little bit of screaming every now and then but that's what adds to the songs being so good. // 8

Overall Impression: Breaking Benjamin have come along way, but for me this is the album that hits all the right buttons. Great guitar riffs backed up by some impressive drums and bass, topped off with some great song writing. If your looking into listing to this band this is the album to get your teeth into first. // 10

More Breaking Benjamin reviews rating latest review