We Are Not Alone Review

breaking benjamin: We Are Not Alone
Released: June 29, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Post-Grunge
We Are Not Alone has its moments of genre-aping filler, and Burnley's delivery does at times seem forced.
 Lyrics: 9.1
We Are Not Alone Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 05, 2004

Sound: When Saturate came out (the bands first album), I knew that these guys didn't sound like anyone else. "We Are Not Alone" carries that idea, and does so much more with it. All of the songs have a great flow to them. There is not a single guitar riff that doesn't fit in where it's at, and not a single voiced note that isn't hit at the perfect pitch. The bass always comes out in a great mix, not overly thumping and certainly not drowned in the background.. And, the drummer knew what he was doing when this album was made as the drums carry the rest of the instruments like it was a forklift. You can tell another difference, in that as musicians, these guys have grown alot since Saturate, noticing how the music has a better taste, and the solos are a good deal more intricate, as well as just the talent is noticeably better. Overall, it is the band from Saturate, but the sound is all it's own. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this cd, much like the ones from Saturate are overly impressive. With each track's meaning left open enough to the point where you can still understand it, but also where just about everyone can come off relating to it in some way. The heavier songs really have the best show of this though, with the chorus from Simple Design ranking in at the best conveyed emotion ever. Severe distaste for someone. Ben Burnley's voice is a tribute to sounding good as well, as his range can go from slow and melodic to one of the heaviest, best screaming voices I've ever heard, and never misses a note in between. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is all it's own. Like I said earlier, you can't compare Breaking Benjamin to any other artist out there. Much like Korn and Godsmack, they just don't sound like anyone else around, and that fact alone makes them a great band, but when they put out work like this, you know that they have the talent to do whatever is needed to keep the music worth listening to. Songs like Simple Design, Follow, So Cold. Every song on this album just falls into place and every piece of music within them takes it's role and gives 150%. Also, what other band is around right now that can give you eleven of the greatest songs on one cd that you've ever heard, provide an extra bonus live ep with four of the songs from Saturate on it, a poster, a sticker, and still put out the So Cold video on the cd (Try putting We Are Not Alone in your computer) for only thirteen dollars? That, is worth every dime I payed and so much more. I really hope these guys get the recognition they deserve. // 10

We Are Not Alone Reviewed by: UG Team, on june 10, 2005

Sound: That's the sophomore release of Breaking Benjamin ? even though it was out only in June 2004, the album already is nearly platinum. It begins with a well-known single and a slow-burning "So Cold" gets We Are Not Alone off to a good start. Talking about the music the band plays, I can say that it sounds like a war between alternative rock and metal. The choppy, downtuned guitars on the album comes from the members' previous experience - guitarist Aaron Fink and bassist Mark James Klepaski used to play in Lifer, an alternative metal band. Even though the band was quite successful and had a contract with Universal, Fink and Klepaski didn't hesitate to leave it to form a new alternative rock band with singer Ben Burnley and drummer Jeremy Hummel. According to Breaking Benjamin's press releases, the risky decision was made a lot due to faith of ex-Lifers in Burnley's songwriting talents, moreover Fint and Burnley knew each other long before Breaking Benjamin -? all the band members grew up in Wilkes-Barre, a small town in northeastern Pennsylvania. The band started playing around their native town in late 2000 and soon a local DJ Freddie Fabbri got so interested in them that financed the recording of their self-titled debut EP, which was selling very good in the around area. In 2001 Breaking Benjamin managed to catch the attention of Hollywood Records and released the first album in August 2002. On their second album We are not alone it's obvious, that the band matured a lot. Guys are still experimenting with the music style 'cause, as they say, they like trying new things and see where it takes them. Melodic guitar tunes sound unusual with the distorted textures and hefty beats. The songs are anchored by the strong rhythm section - propelling rhythms of drums and bass. // 8

Lyrics: I enjoyed music much more, than the lyrics, though there are some good ideas. Even though Rain sounds strange on the album, the song is beautiful and mostly due to its lyrics. Listening to it, you just can't miss it ? "Take a photograph, It'll be the last, Not a dollar or a crowd could ever keep me here," even though the chorus sounds like a children's song "Rain, rain go away, come again another day." Most of the records have good lyrics in the versus and the chorus is usually pretty primitive. My favorite line on the album is "Shut up smart little b--ch" esp. the way Burnley says it. Burnley has a unique vocal. My guess is that it's quite strong in lower tones, but not strong enough to shout higher ones, so he invented to use that special way of singing. I would call it a "woman in hysterics" sound -? it makes me shiver sometime 'cause it reminds me of my mum yelling at me at the top of her longs for not cleaning my room. I used it as my secret weapon to drive my ex-boyfriend crazy screaming at him with that sound. Never though a man could sing like that. Though you get used to it while listening to the record. // 6

Overall Impression: If you like hard rock, that's the record you should get. The CD has a lot of catchy tunes and the guys did a very good job on it. Most of the songs are written by Burnley, except of three tracks that he co-wrote with former Smashing Pumpkins singer-songwriter Billy Corgan. On of them "Follow" is the highlight of the record. It's very well-done and has a very catchy tune. Others two really differ from all the songs on the album. Seems like there was some problem with writing rock-ballads, and "Forget It" and "Rain" are the instant-rock-ballad songs. Still being ballads, they totally outstand on the album. Forget It sounds like a tribute to 80's new wave and I would think that it's been put on the CD by accident. Being a fan of Smashing Pumpkins, Burnley tried so hard to impress Corgan, that supplemented the song with a half-step move-up every verse and chorus. He says that it's subtle, but I think it's pretty obvious and embarrassing for a semi-metal band. At the end of the CD there's probably the trick that shows the band's idea of trying absolute different things ? an angry growl trashy track "Believe" crashes to an acoustic ballad "Rain" that even has a sound of a shower in the track. Probably not the best idea to show the variety of music the band can play. Not that I don't like the songs, I truly think, that "Rain" is a beautiful song, but the album should put you in a certain mood and keep it up all through the CD. Here, listening to these two songs, I can't stop wondering whose crazy joke was that to put them on this record? Most other songs are like an emotional experience, but, again, if you want that impression to last, stop your player after #10 song and listen to "Rain" later. // 8

We Are Not Alone Reviewed by: RockMusicFan, on june 30, 2004

Sound: We Are Not Alone is an amazing piece of work and does not concentrate on one sound. It is in fact very different from their debut Saturate. It opens with the first single So Cold. This is the perfect way to begin the cd because it represents both soft and heavy elements of the album. Songs include head banging anthems like Simple Design and Breakdown, softies like Forget It and Rain, and in between songs like Break My Fall and Away. But who can forget the all out rocker song Beleive. Other tracks on the album are Follow, Firefly, and Sooner Or Later. Every single track on this album is amazing and worth listening to. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are really powerful and really blends in with the music. With both combined, they make many extrodinary songs. // 10

Overall Impression: Ok so basically this album is most certainly the best album released so far this year. Right now I'm trying to decide if it is better than their first album, but right now they are both the same. No matter what kind of rock music you are into, We Are Not Alone will most certainly have it. I highly suggest purchasing this cd as soon as possible. Every penny is worth it. So get up, go to your nearest music shop and buy it. Breaking Benjamin is surely to become big soon thanks to this album, and you should be one of the first people to have the album. // 10

We Are Not Alone Reviewed by: sithian476, on july 01, 2004

Sound: The sound is definitely a refreshing change from the last album. Not totally dramatic, but you could definitely tell one from the other. It almost seems softer this time around. More mellow maybe? So Cold is an awesome mixture of their several elements of different sounds/genres. Beleive is probably their hardest song, and it rocks. They have slow but nice sounded songs including Forget It (which is quite good actually I've listened to it many times so far) and Rain, in which it's sound is good. The rest of the songs can be considered Hard, but more towards the middle of the Spectrum. // 10

Lyrics: Most of the songs have evolved, but you still have some of your semi-generic songs like Rain (Rain, rain go away come again another day). Only a few songs have a disrupted flow of lyrics, but for the most part, they're awesome. Don't exactly know how to relate to them, but they match what they have done in the past. // 8

Overall Impression: I wouldn't say this is better than their last album, but is sure damn close. If it was longer (it has 11 tracks) it would probably take the crown of one of my favorite CDs ever along with Saturate. If you were to only listen to a few songs, check out So Cold, Follow, Beleive, and Forget It. It has an excellent mixture of soft and hard elements of rock. The vocalist can really sing and scream as well. Go buy it and check it out, I really recommend it. // 10

We Are Not Alone Reviewed by: drinsanity13, on july 01, 2004

Sound: Wow. Just like in "Saturate", "We Are Not Alone" is a master-piece of grunge and alternative rock. The solid guitar riffs play in perfectly with Benjamin's smooth "echo-like" voice. It sounds different than Saturate but still retains that Breaking Benjamin sound. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are spectacular. If the singer did not have a career in rock he certainly would have one in poetry. You can really connect with them just like in Saturate. // 10

Overall Impression: Awesome. Breaking Benjamin is not a big band yet, but I garunteee with the works they are putting out they will be soon. The album is amazing, every song is perfect, and it feels good to listen to some good rock and not all nu-metal these days. Compared to Saturate, they have matured greatly, and if this album is as good as Saturate then it's definately a buy. In the end though, my opinion for the best Breaking Benjamin song has to be Polyamorous from Saturate. So if you don't have either album get both! // 10

We Are Not Alone Reviewed by: risenfenix24, on july 05, 2004

Sound: "We Are Not Alone" is a piece of commercialism biting into a band that for once had an iota of originality. While not entirely a flop, it's more of a disappointment, with only a few standout tracks ("So Cold", "Simple Design", and "Forget It") and the rest being mostly fillers. The songwriting is forced much of the time with the band seeking almost too hard to come up with catchy vocal hooks and guitar hooks, especially in songs like "Break My Fall" and "Sooner or Later". Being a die-hard Breaking Benjamin fan, I am disappointed in this effort, but I do believe that "Forget It" is going to be a huge crossover hit for these guys. // 6

Lyrics: Once again, Ben Burnley comes up with some memorable lines that occasionally are a bit disjointed but, nevertheless are very good. Burnley's voice has evolved greatly, it's more polished than the last record and it sounds very good against the backdrop of over-production. The collaboration with Billy Corgan on "Follow", "Forget It", and "Rain" have produced some interesting vocal results, especially in "Forget It". Lyrics and vocals definitely counter the commercial sounding guitar riffs. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is not as good as "Saturate" but with putting out a second record that is as good or better than the first being such a hard task to pull off, it is a decent effort. At times it's a bit too commercial but then again, it is still a pretty solid record and worth checking out. // 8

We Are Not Alone Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 16, 2004

Sound: Breaking Benjamin opening track and single So Cold really gets you set for hearing a new (but still eclectic) sound. If you've been a fan of the band or have heard Saturate (freshmen album) you know what I'm talking about. Not every track sounds the same, some sound simular but far from the same. It really sounds like a band effort due to the fact that they all wrote this one together, instead of lead vocalist/ guitarist Ben Burnley writing the riffs and lyrics then taking it to the band. It's really a CD you can listen all the way through without finding a bad track. // 10

Lyrics: Ben Burnley has what I would call a "Kurt Cobain Tendencey" to his lyrics. He writes in an abstract manner and doesn't discuss the meanings. The lyrics have changed from Saturate. They do seem to have more of a personal meaning to them. "I'll Be There For You, Till My Heart Is Black And Blue," of Breakdown and "Shut Up, Smart Little Bitch, I Don't Need Lies," of Believe. Burnley has a low and very melodic voice. He has wonderful range and sound. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is genuine and original, I haven't heard anything that sounds like it. So Cold, Simple Design, Breakdown, and Rain are some incredible songs on We Are Not Alone. I don't hate one thing about this record at all. I love it to pieces. I love how it accually has a varity of sounds. And I really like how they are still a little raw. If it were stolen or lost, I'd cry then go by four more copies. // 10

We Are Not Alone Reviewed by: ooolookie, on july 22, 2004

Sound: In comparison to Saturate, Breaking Benjamin's new cd proved to carry a darker, more complicated sound. One should conclude that the majority of songs on Saturate, such as "Skin", "Polyamorous", or "Forever" have more of a punk rock cliched chord progression compared to "So Cold", "Firefly" or "Forget It". The majority of the album We Are Not Alone spoke three words to me: unexpected chord changing. Each track seemed to be laced with striking changes in tone and instrumentation. Saturate sounds more like a bubble gum punk album now that We Are Not Alone has appeared on the scene. // 10

Lyrics: As with the sound of the band has grown more complicated and dark, so have their new lyrics. A little common, perhaps? These are from Saturate. If I saw these lyrics without knowing the band, about 20 could be broken down with the same lyric sound. The ryhme scheme is different, and the phrases have been lengthened to more of a sentence-structured peice of poetry. As with the compliance of the lyrics with the music, from a musically inclined perspective it was great. Benjamin Burnley (lead vocals) has the ability to transform his voice in order to keep the meaning of his music and lyrics intact and poignant. Good dynamics, Ben. His tone quality also changes many times throughout the album. // 10

Overall Impression: Breaking Benjamin has proven to be a band that has the ability to learn from their mistakes and better themselves. They have proved so with We Are Not Alone. Although their instrumentation now sounds a bit like Tool on some songs, even so, this type of instrumentation is rare in the "rock-popularized media" anyhow. (I.e yellowcard, dashboard confessional, sum41, blink182, ect.) "So Cold" is a good opening track and I can tell the song radiates with passion and well thought out textures. The same goes for "Forget it", and "Firefly." "Rain" is the most impressive of the songs, because it has such a huge contrast to their hard sounding tracks. Can you say flexibility? In both music and voice tone? You certainly can. So for the rocker who likes angry, poignant music, and also slow, sad, but still poigant music, purchase We Are Not Alone. Looks like Breaking Benjamin did their homework. Good job. // 10

We Are Not Alone Reviewed by: arsenal_arsenio, on july 27, 2004

Sound: Very innovative and new, I think. They use a combination of screaming and singing that remains true to their first album. // 10

Lyrics: Ben can both sing and scream. No one can f--k with him. The writing seemed a little repetive on every song. Intro, chorus, verse, chorus, verse kinda like that. // 8

Overall Impression: As soon as I heard another Breaking Benjamin cd was coming out, I knew I had to get it. Their style is unlike anything I heard before and I like innovative music. We Are Not Alone is the sequel to their first cd Saturate. We Are Not Alone is an awesome cd. It contains their old sound from Saturate and mixes it with a new sound. Some cannot tell the difference but I could tell easily from as soon as I put my headphones on. The fusion of the new sound and old is not good or bad but it's again different. Overall, it's a good cd and is an awesome new album. If you liked the first one, you'll defineitly like this one. // 8

We Are Not Alone Reviewed by: playgtr055, on august 09, 2004

Sound: Ok this album freaking rocks. Way better than Saturate to me. I just saw these guys live with 3 Days Grace Seether and Evanescence yesterday and it was great. But thats a whole different review. My point is they are great musicians. The sound has a darker feel than Saturate. I listen to this album 24-7. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are good too. This guy can sing. This is the reason why I think their music is darker than Saturate. The guitar part with it was awesome. I hope their next album is just like this. // 10

Overall Impression: If anybody ever thought about stealing this album from me I would shoot them in the face. Not really but I would do terrible turtle harm to them. The best three songs on the album to me were So Cold, Break My Fall, and Breakdown although all of them were good. Go buy this album it's worth the money. // 10

We Are Not Alone Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 04, 2004

Sound: This album is one of the most incredible sounding CD's I've got, and I've got alot! The two guitarists in this band have perfect ways to overlap each other in such a creative way. This album is definently showing the range of this bands music style. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are powerful. There are alot of songs on this album that are so catchy. Sure, they might get stuck in your head, but it's the kind of music and words that are great to have in your head. Their songs are so fun to play on the guitar. The lyrics mix with the music flawlessly. Plus the lead singer can scream and sing very well! Outstanding! // 10

Overall Impression: My advice to you is to buy the album, and actually listen to every single track. Don't skip through the middle of a song after you decide your not interested in it. The songs do get better, so make a date with to take the time to actually listen. My personal favorites are "So Cold", "Follow", "Breakdown", and many more that you'll have to discover yourself. So what are you waiting for? Go get it now! // 10

We Are Not Alone Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 16, 2004

Sound: The music is loud, the guitar riffs are all hard and catchy and Ben Burnley's vocals are bloody awesome. He has a powerful voice, and in the opening track, So Cold, he really shows this. It could have used more guitar solos, with So Cold being the only track that includes one. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are like most songs these days: quite meaningless once you actually probe the storyline. But every song on this album has a great feel to it, with Ben Burnley giving them that edge. One of the softer tracks on the album, Forget It, was co-written by Billy Corgan (Smashing Pumpkins). The lyrics are powerful, accompanied by great vocals. // 8

Overall Impression: Breaking Benjamin are probably my favourite band at the moment, and I discovered them while watchin music videos on http://launch.yahoo.com. Every song on this album is a potential hit, and none of the songs sound the same. There are soft and haevy tracks on the album, which gives them quite a diverse feel. If I lost this album, I'd go out and buy it again that day. // 10

We Are Not Alone Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 23, 2004

Sound: I love the sound of the music. I like how the guitars sound. None of the songs sound the same. I also like the diversity in how the songs are. Like, how hard rock So Cold sounds, then how soft Forget It sounds. That, my friends, is flexibilaty. I just love everything about this album. // 10

Lyrics: I am in love with the way the singer sings. I love that he can sing good and scream. I find that very atractive. The lyrics are ok. I liked them all except for Rain and Firefly, those seemed kind of wimpy. But overall, they were great. // 8

Overall Impression: I absolutley love this album. I bought it just because I loved So Cold alot. I am so freaking glad I bought this cd. It is one of the best cd's I have ever heard. My favorite songs on it are Forget It and Follow. All the other songs on there are pretty freaking sweet too. If it were stolen, I would be so f-ing mad. I would also get another copy. I don't think I could live without it. I learned the whole c. d. in 4 days, I'm sure as hell glad that I did. // 10

We Are Not Alone Reviewed by: RawkKitty, on january 22, 2005

Sound: The sound of this album is very hard rock, I love that. I am highly addicted to this CD because the music and just overall sound is so addicting. The band worked together more on this CD than their last, you can tell. At some points, the guitar sounded very simple, other times very catchy and tough sounding. I am on a mission to learn every song on here. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics really get to ya, I can relate to every song. The lyrics went very well with the words, fit perfect. And Bens skills, to me atleast, were remarkable. He can get into the perfect emotion for every song. Especially to 'Believe', you can tell he was pissed of. // 8

Overall Impression: There really is no comparison. My favorite CD, above all. My fave songs are, "Believe," "So Cold" and "Breakdown." Here's a direct quote from my guitar teacher, "The more and more I hear their songs, the more I'm impressed." I love the fact that these aren't so 'cookie cutter' songs, the thing I hate is that there aren't many solo's or anything. If some mother f--ker stole this CD, I'd get a voodoo doll and curse the freaks. Then by me 10 more copies. // 10

We Are Not Alone Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 30, 2005

Sound: Breaking Benjamin are like no other band I have ever heard, their music is a new sound and I love it! They will undoubtedly be bundled in to a genre with the like of Good Charlotte and Taking Back Sunday, but (though I like both those bands) they shouldn't be. They have a musical style which is a unique blend of metal riffs and melodic vocals. Plus the sound and musical sound on this album is very diverse. // 10

Lyrics: Not only are the guitars and drums etc fantastic but the lead singer, Ben Burnley, has a tremedous voice and a huge talent for writting lyrics. The song lyrics are packed with emotion, from the anger and pain of the wonderfully uplifting 'Sooner Or Later' to the genius depth of 'So Cold' to the truth and open-heartedness of 'Forget It.' All the lyrics are great and combined with Ben's voice they complement the music brilliantly. // 10

Overall Impression: In case you haven't noticed I absolutly adore this album! I would suggest you buy this album just for 'Sooner Or Later' which is one of my favourite songs ever and the reason I bought the album! But, if I'm being honest, there isn't a bad song on this album, it's all amazing! The range of styles and sounds is simply magnificent and is a major reason why I love this album. If someone stole it I'd be devastated and buy a new one straight away. Buy this album! // 10

We Are Not Alone Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 28, 2005

Sound: Breaking Benjamin's album "We Are Not Alone" in my eyes is simply an amazing album, I first heard of them from one of my american friends, and went to my local HMV store, ordered it in, and literally ripped off the plastic wrapping and stick it straight into my CD player, I listened to the first song, So Cold, amazing, probobally my fave on the album, second song, Simple Design, not as good as So Cold, but it was still really good, then I got to track 4 and noticed the song from somewhere, it may have been a game I was playing. and then on to track 7, Sooner or Later, I remember listening to that track on the site, breakingbenjamin.com. I can honestly say this is one Unique band, and being one of the only fans in the UK, I suppose it's better that I can call it unique, because if some of my friends listened to it or something, they would probobally say it soinds like someone, which would be a load of crap, since they sound like no other band I know of, or maybe the people over seas in America, where they are biggest, can compare them to another band they know. But overall the sound on the album is great. I love it so much. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics to the whole We Are Not Alone album are great, they make perfect sense, and easily remembered so if you fancy singing along to it then go ahead! I know I do! The Music goes really well with Ben's singing ability, and the guitars dont drown out anyof the singing, unless listening on windows media player, where the voice is hardly noticeable. Ben Burnley is an awesome singer and this album shows his talent. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said earlier, being in the UK I dont know of any bands like this one. which is how I'd like it to stay. My favourite songs on the album have to be "So Cold," "Firefly," "Sooner Or Later" and "Rain." I'm not a fan of track 12 (Rain original)probobally because its to plain. I have the platinum album with the "Rain special" on it, which actually has drums in it, which I prefer to listen to, sometihn with a steady beat in the back ground. I love the style of music played on it, the only thing I dont like to much is the fact its short. But we can't all be winners! Um, yes, if it was lost or stolen would I buy another? Yes! Or maybe just copy it, since its on my computer now. // 10

We Are Not Alone Reviewed by: guitarista_727, on december 16, 2005

Sound: Breaking Benjamin's greatest strength in 'We Are Not Alone' is their guitars. Very great rhythm. They're really quick with their fingers in the rhythm. One downside, however, in this album is their lack of some drums at some point. The guitar covers up for that area, luckily. In 'Follow,' despite it being my favorite song in the album, lacks some quick drumming for a band like Breaking Benjamin. Just like I said earlier, the guitar covers up that problem. // 8

Lyrics: Ben Hurley does it again. We got great lyrics, and Ben Hurley brings out the soul of the songs in his vocals. His voice sounds like a deep echo, which suits a band like Breaking Benjamin. The guitar intros and solos start out like alternative rock, but Ben comes in with the chorus, giving the song an enlightening feel. I have the Clean Version, for obvious reasons, but the lyrics are still really good, whether Ben says 'mess or f--k.' // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, Breaking Benjamin's 'We Are Not Alone' is a smart bargain. Lucky for me, I got the Clean Version, so my parents would let me listen to it. They didn't fix the Clean Version well, as you can still hear b--ch in 'Believe.' If you're the the type of person that just wants to break free, this album is fit for you. 'Firefly' and 'Follow' are really good songs for 'freedom fighters.' // 9

We Are Not Alone Reviewed by: Zuka, on january 17, 2006

Sound: When purchasing Saturate (Breaking Benjamin's first album) I said out loud "holy shit." These guys kick ass. I then purchased "We Are Not Alone." They kick ass twice as hard. I was amazed when I heard "drop C tuning". No matter if the song is pure rage and slamming the guitar over and over, or totally melodic, Breaking Benjamin always has a unique and powerful trance. The opening song, "So Cold" has several great riffs in it, with lyrics that make you want to play it ten times over. Every single song on this album is always different, but always great. Skipping down to "Forget It," they take a different approach towards softer, melodic, and a tase of Sorrow. However, it is one of my favorite song songs. The nest track, "Sooner Of Later," is absolutely amazing. They use their 2 guitars to create this masterpiece, Absolutely no faults. The 2nd last track, "Believe" is pure rage. And it sounds perfect. It takes all my energy to hold back from screaming along. The final track "Rain" is so... aah! It's not enough listening to the CD. Watch them play it live. // 10

Lyrics: These lyrics make you have to think. "Forget It" took me 2 weeks to figure out, and it was pure luck that I found what I did. "Forget It" speaks of Ben with a possibly fatal addiction, while he tries to prevent a close friend/family member who is close to following his footsteps. "Firefly" is quite lyrically similar to "Ladybug" (found on So Cold EP) which is cool instead of dull. Interesting how they refer to specific people as bugs. "Break My Fall" is one of those songs that makes you want to fly (ok, wierd association). Very close in definition to the September 11th events. The lyrics are so hard to describe without making an understatement. // 10

Overall Impression: This flows so perfectly with "Saturate." For quite awhile now (8 years) Collective Soul has been my favorite. Breaking Benjamin tied up with them from the day I got Saturate. Every day I check CS and BB's websites. The best song in "We Are Not Alone" would have to tie. "Forget It" and "Sooner Or Later." I can't stop listening to them. These songs have been played over to me millions of times, and I love them millions of times more. As I have an mp3 player, if it was stolen I'd be screwed. Before I looked for it I would listen to the CD (I always buy the CD instead of downloading. Just to be faithful to my favorite artists). There is nothing I hate about this. The songs can be challenging to play (A difference from some artists out there) which gives me a challenge. I love everything about "We Are Not Alone" as well as "Saturate." You have to buy these albums! They are perfect! // 10

We Are Not Alone Reviewed by: tugboat1003, on august 07, 2006

Sound: This CD is great everything was recorded very well. I like the bridges in the songs. The chorus in the songs are ones you will not forget. I'd say it is more heavy than saturate, I don't know about phobia yet I have to wait for that. 01. So Cold - this song is the first single on their CD and is great for the first song on the CD a very good chorus one you won't forget. The intro is in drop C tuning which makes it very eerie. The video for it gives it that feel to. 02. Simple Design - great song it's decently heavy there's some other hevier songs to. I love the chorus and the bridge in the song is cool a very nice intro into the bridge. 03. Follow - very cool start to the song with good distortion one of my favorites on this album. The chorus get stuck in my head evertime I hear it. 04. Firefly - this is also one of my favorites it's I like the drum beat at the beginning me being a drummer I love this bridge in this song is great. 05. Break My Fall - it's probably my least favorite track on this CD but don't get me wrong it's a masterpiece in it's own way. 06. Forget It - I love this song, Ben Burnley never fails to please. His voice is so pure and unique. Listening to their other stuff you wouldn't expect this high of singing from him. Overall a great song though it's very light. 07. Sooner Or Later - I don't know if it's their second single or not but it's their second video. I also love this song it is great it's a little light but still hard enough to know it's BB. 08. Breakdown - the name says a lot. This song has a very intristing I guess technical breakdown in it. Also another favorite being because it's pretty heavy. 09. Away - I don't know this is or believe is my favorite song. It starts out very cool with the drums and guitar listen to it you'll love it. 10. Believe - I can't stop listening to this song it is one of the hardest and angriest songs on the album. Trust me your head will move. 11. Rain - this is the most random song on the CD you have heard it before maybe not BB's version but the chorus in "Rain rain go away come again another day all the world is waiting for the sun." // 10

Lyrics: Out of everyones vocals I think I like Ben Burnsley he has such a full and incredibly unique voice one you won't forget. The lyrics are a lot more mature than saturate of course they've gotten older and better sounding. The guitar with his voice work perfectly. His sceams holy crap it's so powerful like a monster it's cool. // 10

Overall Impression: If you haven't bought this album yet buy it now it's a good thing to have leading up to their newest on Phobia 08/08/06. If it were stolen of lost I would buy another one right away. This is a CD I will always have always listen to and never forget it is great and very well made so buy it you won't regret it. Recomended songs: So Cold, Simple Design, Follow, Firefly, Breakdown, Away and Believe. // 10

We Are Not Alone Reviewed by: sk8erdude137, on september 29, 2007

Sound: We Are Not Alone is Breaking Benjamin's second album, Saturate being their first. To start off, this band improved since Saturate, musically and they became more mature. Their lyrics arn't as shallow and they have gotten better at their instruments. This was deffinatley a great album. The guitar riffs were great, they all fit in so well with each song. The bass wasn't completley drowned out but it wasn't too loud either which I really liked. We Are Not Alone is by far the best album I've heard from Breaking Benjamin. // 9

Lyrics: Benjamin Burnley has been a great songwriter since Saturate. He has a point in all of his songs but he leaves them open to where almost anyone can relate to them. Since their debut album he has improved his songwriting skills. He has become more mature and he isnt so shallow in most of these songs. One of the catchiest lyrics on this album (in my opinion) is the chorus of "Simple Design", it goes like this "Cause I know what you want, but you'll just have to wait. If I had it to give I would give it away. I'm living it up while I'm falling from grace, there's no way that I'm running away.." he sings this perfectley also. I have always been amazed with Ben's voice. He has a wide range of vocal abilities, he has one of the best singing voices I've ever heard, and a great scream. His vocals fit perfectley with every song. A lot of people say they don't like the song "Rain", I thought it was beautiful. Ben's voice is so amazing in this song, espically when he sings, "Rain, Rain, go away, come again another day. All the world is waiting for the sun." Overall the lyrics and the vocals fit in so well with every song. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a great improvement on there already awesome debut album. The most impressive songs on the album (in my opinion) are: "Rain", "Simple Design", "Firefly", "Break My Fall", and "Forget It". But every song on this album is great. I love how this album can be heavy and then go right into a soothing rythm. If this were lost or stolen, I would deffinatley buy it again. But if someone stole this album, I'd find them, beat the living shit out of them, and take it back. I reccomend this album to anyone who like alternative/metal, or is just starting to get into Breaking Benjamin. // 9

We Are Not Alone Reviewed by: Build An Army, on march 05, 2008

Sound: I would could say with the up most confidence, the best live and studio band I have heard for a very long time. With one of the best sounds from their albums (probably because they use PRS guitars). 01. So Cold - being the first song from the album, this track needs to have that hard hitting punch to present a perfect BB aurora. This track suits very well and there is also a Live Acoustic version of this on their So Cold [EP]. 02. Simple Design - I love this song, always listening to it on my mp3 player. It has a great intro and chorus and all parts of this song just fit together. 03. Follow - can very easily recognise this song from others, simply from the intro to the song. Grear guitar riff throughout the song and lyrics work really well too. 04. Firefly - great drums and guitar work for intro and overall just a good song. 05. Break My Fall - this song has been written by Ben Burnley for his fear of flying. In the bridge of the song you can hear a crackled voice saying "Mayday, mayday. Request permission to land. I cannot control the plane. We are in danger of crashing." Definitely one of my favourite songs of the album just for it's main riff, it's just simple but effective. 06. Forget It - one of their more lighter songs from their collection however definitely not one to be missed. His voice is flawless in this track and again, the guitar suits the mood and volume perfectly. 07. Sooner Or Later - great intro with an equally good chorus. Great bass work on this song, whereas not often heard with others. Nice little acoustic part in it which builds back up into the main riff with Ben hitting some high notes in the back. 08. Breakdown - one of their more heavier songs off the album with some more bass work gone into this one. Great feel good song which will get you jumping about along with it. Definitely one to sing along too. 09. Away - again, a live version of this is on the So Cold [EP]. This song has a catchy chorus with some great drum work in it. 10. Believe - one of their more angrier and heavier songs from the start but still delivers everything that is right about BB. In my top 10 of favourite BB songs as it is one of their more heavier songs. One you can listen to over and over again and still want more. 11. Rain - almost certainly one of the lightest songs they have done on any album but still is a decent track and is a great song to finish the album with. I have had this album for some time now but stil listen to it basically every day either on my mp3 player or sat on here. Breaking Benjamin I would vote as being my number 1 band to listen too when I'm playing a game! So much energy from each song, I can translate into pure ownage on the battlefield! // 10

Lyrics: His vocals are so unique and have so much feeling in them, he could basically be a poet. He has a great main stream vocal tone along with the more heavier vocals he gets to do on some tracks. I listen to BB for the music mainly so am not one for carefully tuning into the vocals (probably being because I am a guitarist) but when I do tune out of guitar mode, the lyrics are amazing. Recently he helped out on "Brand New Day", with Lifer Nick Coyle's band The Drama Club. His vocals suited that song perfectly and first time I heard it, I felt like another great release by BB. // 10

Overall Impression: Not much to say here really, basically as this band is pretty much my all time favourite, I would recommend this album (and others) to listeners that like Alternative Rock. Favourite songs off the album have to be "Simple Design" and "Forget it". Although in the UK I only know of 3 people that have heard of BB before I told them. I think they would have a much larger fan base if they came here but the phobia of flying may prevent this for sometime. For this reason, I haven't seen them live, but if I had the chance (and a little more money) I would definitely go! // 10

We Are Not Alone Reviewed by: PancakeLad001, on february 05, 2009

Sound: Breaking Benjamin's 2004 release We Are Not Alone is their best album out of the 3 they've recorded. So Cold is easily the best track on there. Rain gives you a different feel for the band, as it's acoustic guitar throws their rock sound off a little bit. But, of course, that was their first song ever recorded. // 10

Lyrics: Saturate, Breaking Benjamin's first album, was not exactly what you'd call "radio-friendly". He cussed a little bit too much in about every song. They've toned it down a bit in this album, which has great lyrics. Ben Burnley still gives the band a great sound, as he will for their next few albums. Sometimes he sings great, but at times he just screams into the microphone, and it gets on my nerves. Especially on track 11, Believe, he yells into the microphone in every chorus, kind of drowning out the guitar. If you've never heard Breaking Benjamin, buy this or their 2006 release Phobia, which includes the Diary of Jane and Until The End. // 8

Overall Impression: We Are Not Alone is definitely a step above Saturate. All of the songs are great, except for Break My Fall, which I just plain don't like. It has bad singing and bad guitar music in general but that's just me. I recommend this album to everyone who's interested! // 9

More Breaking Benjamin reviews rating latest review