SMiLE Review

brian wilson: SMiLE
Release Date: Sep 28, 2004
Label: Nonesuch
Genres: Chamber Pop, Pop/Rock
A new recording of SMiLE by Brian Wilson reveals the record as nothing more (or less) than a jaunty epic of psychedelic Americana, a rambling and discursive, playful and affectionate series of song cycles.
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
SMiLE Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 18, 2006

Sound: From the genious of Brian Wilson come what has got to be the longest awaited album in history. It took just under 40 years for the album to finally be realeased, and it was everything that had been hoped for. Written right after the "Pet Sounds" (which is considered by many to be the best Beach Boys album and one of the best albums of all time) it was supposed to complety overshadow the previous Beach Boys album. Brian (who was the American equivalent to Lennon and McCartney) worked tirelesly on the creation of this album when the rest of the Beach Boys were on tour in England. Unfortunatley upon their return, it was met with opposition. Some of the Beach Boys (especially Mike Love) thought it was too experimental, and that it did not for he Beach Boys. It was at this time that things started to fall apart, and Brian sank into deression. He gave up the project and for years wouldn't even tough a piano. Slowly but surely, he started to come out of his depression, but for years the memory of his failed album haunted him. Finally, in 2004 it was released, to the delight of music lovers everywhere. The sound of this Album is hard to explain. It is as Brian puts it "a pocket symphony", and is truly one of a kind. The use of unusual sounds and more intuments than I can count make this album something that may take a few times through to really get used to. However, it is plain to anyone who knows the album that every part adds up to make a work of art. // 10

Lyrics: Like much of his earlier Beach Boy music, Brian uses vocals quite a bit in this album. The main difference is in the lyrics. His abstact lyrics are almost like a puzzle, and give the listener somethig to thank about no matter how many times they have heard it. This is due in part to his colabartation with Van Dyke Parks, who was a major part in the writing process. The lyrics like the entire album are one of a kind, and someone would be hard pressed to find lyrical phrases that are as intersting as the ones found in this album. // 10

Overall Impression: It is easily one of the best albums ever made. Some fans argue that it is even better than Sgt Peppers, and if it had been realsed when it was supposed to it would have totally eclipsed that album. The beach boys (meaning Brian Wilson) were the american Beatles, and they drew inspiration from one another. it is said that Pet Sounds influenced the beatles to make Sgt Peppers, and that that in turn influenced Brian to make smile. Some o my favorite songs from the album include "Wind Chimes," "Surf's Up," "Heroes And Villians" and of course "Good Vibrations" which uses the origional lyrics made for the song, not the lyrics that were changed and used for the beach boys song. I love this album completely, I recently bought the DVD in which he performs it live and I would highly recomend that as well. It has become one of my favorite things to watch. If I ever lost this CD I would immediatly go to the nearest best buy and buy a new one. I honestly can not live without it. // 10

Comments