Digital Ash In A Digital Urn Review

bright eyes: Digital Ash In A Digital Urn
Released: Jan 25, 2005
Genre: Rock
Styles: Indie Rock, Indie Electronic
Of course, the rough edges haven't gone away - the palpitation of a splintering note, the crack of a voice as it overextends, the clumsy thump of a misplaced thumb. It's all still there. But there's a glorious new level of depth and a maturation of texture, writing and delivery.
 Lyrics: 8.7
 9.1
 9.3
 8.9
Digital Ash In A Digital Urn Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 15, 2005

Sound: Very electronic without being overly electronic. Refeshingly different yet with a fimiliar and catchy feel to the music. Not what I expected after buying and listening to I'm Wide Awake It's Mornings. But captures an equally enjoyable sound. I love it. // 10

Lyrics: Conor Oberst wrote the lyrics enough said. Hes a genious, poetic yet real to life. He can write about wanting to be love by a particular someone but knowing he wont be loved back (Ship In A Bottle), his drinking problem (Hit The Switch), a friend that died (Light Pollution), or even casual sex (Take It Easy). // 10

Overall Impression: I love the sound, the lyrics, everything. Amazing, brilliant, and just as good as I'm Wide Awake Its Morning. I love every song, especially, Hit The Switch, Down In A Rabbit Hole, and Gold Mine Gutted, just to name a few. If it were stolen I would kick the guy who stole it in the balls and take the money in his wallet and buy it again. To be nice I'd let him keep the old copy cause it's just that good. // 10

Digital Ash In A Digital Urn Reviewed by: Something_Vague, on february 05, 2005

Sound: Okay, from Letting off Happiness, which was a really under developed sound, it had many flaws in the chords, none the less it was a great album. Now an album that had so many flaws on it, which was roughly 10 years ago, compared to this, Digital Ash in a Digital Urn, the sound is amazingly crisp. His voice is more intune with the music on this album than any other album he has put out. The synth is very dark and poppy, yet has a tone that really effects you emotionally. And his voice is so desperate and wanning, that if it doesn't grab your attention in seconds, you'll never understand why this band is so amazing. // 10

Lyrics: Ahh, the focal point of Bright Eyes, these lyrics aren't as good as the other albums, and in my opinion, nothing will ever beat the Lyrics on Fevers and Mirrors, which is their best album. The lyrics are none-the-less amazing, the first track "Gold Mine Gutted" has some really emo and amazing lyrics the flow is also really amazing. Although, I think that Down in a Rabbit Hole, is just perfect, it is very dark and melodic and has this synth beat that goes right along with the lyrics, it really shows you how brilliant Conor Oberst is. // 8

Overall Impression: Okay, this is his 3rd best album, the first being Fevers and Mirrors, and the 2nd being Lifted or the Story is in the Ground. But none-the-less, this is by far the better of the two releases, the other being "I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning." So if you hate this album go get that one, they are polar opposites. The best tracks are Time Code, Gold Mine Gutted, Down In A Rabbit Hole, Hit The Switch, I Believe In Symetry, Devil In The Details. And the rest are equally good, but Devil In The Details is my personal favorite track of the cd. If this were stolen I'd hunt the man that did it and congradulate him on having such amazing taste, then I'd kill him for stealing my cd. The worst thing about this cd, is the comparision to "I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning." Which to every critic, is upteen times better. But if you've been a Bright Eyes fan from the beginning, then you'll know this is their most solid release to date, not their best, their most solid. // 10

Digital Ash In A Digital Urn Reviewed by: Phillip., on august 20, 2007

Sound: The band's sound has traditionally been very folk sounding, with exceptions like Lover I Don't Have To Love. But this album is like a compilation of all songs that stray away from their folk sound. The name, Digital Ash In A Digital Urn, says it all. It's mostly digitally made. The use of sythesizers and elabotate bass riffs are very evident in songs like Down A Rabbit Hole, Take It Easy (Love Nothing), Theme To Pinata, and most other songs on the album. Overall, a very good album, and very different from the normal sound of Bright Eyes. // 9

Lyrics: Just like any other Bright Eyes CD, the lyrics are very nicely written. I saw on a review for another Bright Eyes album a comment that was along the lines of, "Conor Oberst wrote it, so of course it's good." But unlike some of the band's other albums, the lyrics of Digital Ash are very straight forward and blunt. The song Take It Easy (Love Nothing), is a prime example of the straight forward, story like lyrics. I guess other critics sum it up for the lyrics, Conor Oberst did write them. // 8

Overall Impression: Digital Ash In A Digital Urn deffinately continues the well written, complex sound that Bright Eyes is known for by so many. Don't let the fact that it sounds so different fool you. It is just as good as other Bright Eyes albums. The most outstanding song on the album has to be Down A Rabbit Hole. The sounds created and used on the track are very elaborate. Some sound effects in other songs, such as the baby's cry in Ship In A Bottle deffinately add to the mood of the album. Also, the use of two drum sets in songs such as Gold Mine Gutted give the song a sound that's just not possible with only one. This is deffinately an album worth buying, with a sensational sound. // 9

More Bright Eyes reviews rating latest review