Fevers & Mirrors Review

8.9
 8.3
 9.4
Fevers & Mirrors Reviewed by: *Truly Ninja*, on february 18, 2004

Sound: The sound of this album isn't exciting at all. Boring acoustic guitar with the occasional flute melody. When Conor makes a foray into spanish guitar rock, on track three "The Calendar hung itself" (clever title) it is rather exciting, albeit indtimidating at first. The sound on this album, on the whole, is boring. But that's not why you buy a Bright Eyes album. // 4

Lyrics: I'm not even going to take off points for Conor's uneasy, quavering voice, in this section because the lyrics more than make up for it. These lyrics are the reasons people buy Bright Eyes records. Conor Oberst is undeniably a brilliant lyricist. His songs of heartbrake and disillusionment are the best emo I've ever heard. Five stars here. // 10

Overall Impression: Here's the thing about this album-you get a favorite song on it, listen to it till you get bored of it, then move on it another song to be your favorite. For me so far it's gone track2, then 4, then 12, then 8, then 3, now 11. For this reason I have yet to tire of this album. If I lost this album I would probably buy it again because it has always been good in my eyes and it has more staying power than even OK Computer. // 8

Fevers & Mirrors Reviewed by: sketchy z, on april 17, 2006

Sound: The sound on every bright eyes album is rough. But when you buy a bright eyes album you arent buying a soft happy CD, you get conner and his inner most deepest feelings. That's all there is for sound quality, it rough, its always rough, it suits conners style. 8 because it works so well. // 8

Lyrics: Conner pushes music lyrically. Never have I heard such great poetry (exept for maybe Circle Takes The Square). The symbolism used on the CD fevers, scales, mirrors (as he explains in the interview) are really deep and emotional. His voice is rough, off beat and it sounds like he smoked 80 ciggs before he played, but it just sounds soo dam good. // 10

Overall Impression: his lyrics combined with simple chords, insane strumming patterns, odd uses of random noises and conners damn amazing voice make for one good buy. The cover of the CD is almost worth the 20 bucks, very original. // 10

More Bright Eyes reviews rating latest review