I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning Review

bright eyes: I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning
Released: Jan 25, 2005
Genre: Rock
Styles: Indie Rock
I'm Wide Awake is designed as a nakedly honest singer/songwriter album, somewhat inspired by the classics of the genre in the '70s.
 Lyrics: 9.8
 9.7
 9.8
 9.5
I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning Reviewed by: Something_Vague, on february 10, 2005

Sound: After a few weeks of listening and comparing the two albums, "Digital Ash In A Digital Urn," and, "I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning." I've come to the conclusion that "I'm Wide Awake" has much better production values, not only does it sound more put together, but on this album you finally get the return of Conor's quaky voice, while on the other album his voice is more distinguished and it lessens the emotional effect he has on you. I think this is his best sounding album, production wise, it is just beautiful. Now for the actual sound of the album, it is, some would say, country, but I find that hardly satisfying, it is less country, and more indie folk, if that makes any sense. Yes, it is very twangy in the sound and it has the echo-y style to it, but it is no where near country, it is folk, I'm thinking this is Conor trying to prove that he is the next Bob Dylan. I think he proves his point, this also has a few collaberations that really put this album together, all in all, it comes off as a beautiful masterpiece. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics, like any Bright Eye's album are the main point, Conor has said he likes to put the lyrics first, then the actual music, like any true indie-star. Compared to "DAIADU" the lyrics are not better, as they are less involving and leave less to the mind, but they are lyrics for the music, they fit perfectly with what style he went with here and it is just top notch, the lyrics in "Lua" and "Old Soul Song (For the New Republic)" are just perfectly fitting and is just top notch, I can't nit-pick because Conor, is a lyrical genious. // 10

Overall Impression: Okay, this isn't his best, but it is better than Digital Ash, disregarding my review for Digital Ash, I was being bias. The entire cd is just top notch, and there are zero bad tracks, they are all execellent, while on the other one, there are few that I just skip over. The lyrics are better, the sound is better, and just about everything is better. The best songs (they're all amazing) are just one after the other. I'll leave it up to you to decide whats best, but I adore this album. I can't find anything that I hate about this album, it is more emotional than the other and it is just I can't stop ranting about how good it is. If this were stolen, I'd buy a new one within the hour, no doubt. Everyone needs to own this album, it is the focal point of his carear and hopefully in a few years he churns out another masterpiece. // 10

I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning Reviewed by: laika, on august 03, 2007

Sound: Conor Oberst and his band Bright Eyes has been creating meaningful roots music for quite some time now and as he moves from album to album his skills as a musician and songwriter grows. I beleive "I'm Wide Awake it's Morning" is Conors finest work yet, stripping his music back to a classic sound of roots and country. The highlights in musical talent on this album are the tracks Old Soul Song (For The New World Order), Another Travellin' Song and Road To Joy (a song that ends the album on a massive note, with screeching guitars and crazy trumpet solos.) Conor also manages to strip back to the basics with the song Lua and the beautiful love song First Day Of My Life. This album flows really well compared to "Digital Ash..." and is very easy listening. // 10

Lyrics: As always Conors lyrics are the focal point of his music. He writes songs that seem slightly happier than nsome of his earlier work (or perhaps it's just the cheerful country music). Lyrical favourites for this album are the opener At The Bottom Of Everything where Conor tells the story of a plane about to "Splash into the deep blue sea" and the song that a passanger sings to the girl sitting next to him. First Day Of My Life shows Conor expressing raw love and emotion ("This is the first day of my life, I'm glad I didn't die before I met you"). And the Emmylou Harris ballad duet Landlock Blues is another lyrical highlight. // 10

Overall Impression: As mentioned earlier this album leaves you wanting more. Perfect for a Sunday arvo in the sun or an easy way to lighten up a long boring car trip. I am a true Bright Eyes fan and I own all of his albums, I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning in his best work (to date). // 10

I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning Reviewed by: Cacophonaut, on december 10, 2007

Sound: Released alongside the more experimental Digital Ash, I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning sees Conor Oberst return to the basic styles of stripped back songwriting that were somwhat abandoned of late in favour of a more grandoise aproach, and it certainly acts in his favour. The band is simple, often just Conor, his guitar and a pedal steel, or a few brass instruments. It's Morning opens with a monologe from Conor, a little story about a plane crash, that leads quite nicely into the oening track, an upbeat opening for a Bright Eyes album, setting the pace for what seems like a much less angst ridden collection than that which he has previously been credited with. As such, it would seem, Conor has matured in his style, even earning himself comparisons with Bob Dylan. // 10

Lyrics: Conor has long honed a reputation as a lyrical genius. Indeed, he has been recording and writing songs under the name Bright Eyes since he was thirteen, and It's Morning does not dissapoint. It may be his most honed lyrical performance to date. As already said, he has matured greatly in his style, focusing less on angst, or at least employing more sublety in it's depictions. It's Morning is, at times, utterly stunning, it's imagery and use of language to convey meaning is unbeleivably good. We also see a return of Conor much hallower, tremoluous vocals that, like the simplicity, was abandoned in favour of instrumental exuberance. The stripped back style suits the vocals, making the songs far more emotionally charged than they otherwise would be. // 10

Overall Impression: A stunning album. The simplicity of the songs acts as a perfect showcase for Conor's brilliant songwriting, with less unescesary instrumentation cluttering up the songs and stunting the emotional impact, he really lets loose with the lyrical flair. Some of the songs are truly stunning, and this is an album to be reccomended to any newcomer to Bright Eyes' rapidly extending catalogue. // 10

I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning Reviewed by: twatbag, on february 20, 2009

Sound: "I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning" is the 6th or 7th album released by Bright Eyes ("Digital Ash in a Digital Urn" was released on the same day). It starts with Conor Oberst speaking a monolouge ("At The Bottom Of Everything) of two passengers on a plane that is about to crash, at first you'd be thinking "This surely can't be what the whole album will be like, is it?" but after a minute or so of the monolouge the song kicks in with a lovely simple three chord riff that grabs your attention straight away. Much like the first song the album flawlessy fills together with songs that show maturity, emotion and reasons why Conor Oberst was placed with the "New Era Dylan" tag in the first place. // 9

Lyrics: Conor Oberst has always had a way with lyrics to make the songs sound so personal, yet so mature in the way it's really not another cliche song about romance ("First Day of My Life"), Drugs ("Lua") or just plain hippy talk of loving the earth ("Train Underwater"). I think it's safe to say everyone knows Conor hasn't got the best voice in music but you can't really say that it brings the music down at all! // 9

Overall Impression: I don't think there's a single band that really could be compared to Bright Eyes. The lyrics, the voice and pretty much everything about the band musically. If you like acoustic guitars with deep sophisticated and personal lyrics. Well this album really is definately for you. // 9

More Bright Eyes reviews rating latest review